Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.28.17 - Day 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Babcock murder trial discussion thread.

A few general reminders about the trial:

Any testimony that might remain under Publication Ban, and/or any courtroom discussion that takes place when the jury is not present, is strictly off-limits.

Only testimony that is published through MSM reporting (newspaper articles, tweets, tv) is allowed. Provide a source link, and keep discussion focused on testimony as it becomes public knowledge.

The magnificent principle of “innocent until proven guilty” is for the court room … it is not required that the general public / Websleuths members adhere to that principle. Members are allowed to discuss, speculate, theorize, and judge according to opinions they develop from following the specifics of the case.

A few general reminders from Websleuths TOS aka The Rules.

At all times, remain VICTIM FRIENDLY. No bashing or passing judgment on the victim or family.

There is ZERO TOLERANCE for snarky or disrespectful posts. Don’t expect an explanation … you will find your post has simply disappeared, or that you can no longer post.

There is to be NO name calling or name variations, not even of the accused.

BICKERING between members is not allowed. If you disagree, that's fine, say so and move past the post. If a post is offensive, alert it and let the Mods review it. If you respond to the post, both the offensive post AND yours will be removed and may result in other consequences.

Alert on a post and move on without discussing it, and don't question the decisions of our Mods/Admin or Owner. Also do not expect personalized responses with explanations about a particular decision.

Do not abuse the WS Alert feature. Abuse includes, but is not limited to:
• Overuse of the alert system
• Repeatedly alerting on the same poster
• Demanding a specific outcome
• Alerting on the same post more than once

Paywall Sites

Under copyright law, members who read information at a paid subscription site are NOT legally allowed to bring information obtained through those accounts over to Websleuths or pass the information to a third party to post the information here. All information posted at Websleuths about the trial must be obtained through MSM or MSM social media (i.e. Twitter, Facebook) and linked.

If you have any questions, use the Alert feature or send a PM and we will be happy to assist.

:tyou:

:rose: Remembering Laura Babcock and waiting for Justice :rose:

1297999253571_ORIGINAL.jpg

link

You are not forgotten ... Rest peacefully, Laura
:rose: :rose:

Co-accused Dellen Millard skips opening statement, presents texts as evidence at Laura Babcock murder trial
By Shannon Martin, CBC News Nov 27, 2017

dellen-millard-begins-defence-babcock.jpg

Dellen Millard, who is acting as his own lawyer at the Laura Babcock murder trial, began his defence Monday. (Pam Davies/ CBC )

Dellen Millard skipped presenting his opening statement on Monday and instead began his defence at the Laura Babcock murder trial by reading pages and pages of text messages — including some he wrote to co-accused Mark Smich — that focused on his problems sleeping.

Legal discussions held behind closed doors pushed the start of proceedings until midday. When the hearing began in Ontario Superior Court, Millard, who's acting as his own lawyer, presented some of his evidence for the first time.

The 32-year-old began with text messages between himself and Babcock in late 2011, about a year before she disappeared; short and friendly texts mainly about her Maltese dog, named Lacey.

[...]

The overwhelming majority of Millard's text evidence centred on his sleep. In May 2012 he wrote Smich: "I've been up every night. I really need some sleep."

He made similar complaints to others.

"Last night I woke up every 15 minutes," he wrote to his mother, adding he'd seen a doctor about it.

After rocky start, co-accused Dellen Millard expected to build on defence at Laura Babcock murder trial
By Shannon Martin, CBC News Nov 28, 2017

laura-babcock.jpg

After a bumpy start on Monday, Dellen Millard is expected to continue to try to build his defence at the Laura Babcock murder trial.

Millard, who is acting as his own lawyer, and his one-time best friend, Mark Smich, have been charged with first-degree murder in the presumed death of the Toronto woman, who disappeared in 2012. Both men have pleaded not guilty.

CBC Live Blog

Live Blog Mobile

The trial is expected to continue at 10 a.m. ET.

Good morning, we are standing by in the court room at the Laura Babcock murder trial. The jury is not in the room, as there are some legal discussions happening. I can begin blogging once the jury arrives.
by Shannon Martin 9:55 AM

Thanks again to those that can help with the tweets :)

Good morning! I'm here to tweet/blog today if I am needed :)

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
2m2 minutes ago
More
Millard will continue calling his defence this morning. Short break and then jury will called in.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
More
Jury is coming in at the #LauraBabcock murder trial, to hear Dellen #Millard defence evidence.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
17s17 seconds ago
More
Judge tells jury he had to make a ruling this morning. Mr Millard do you have any evidence to call? Yes I do. I would like to call Mr, Dr. Rufolo to the stand. He wants him qualified in zooarchaeology.

Justice Michael Code calls for the jury, who are now in the room.

Millard calls Dr. Scott Rufolo as a witness. Millard wants him deemed an expert in zoo archaeology.
by Shannon Martin 10:30 AM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
More
Scott Rufolo is the witness. He spells his name slowly and clearly. "Morning Mr. Rufolo," Millard starts, then asks judge how to have his witness qualified. #LauraBabcock

Millard goes through his resume.

Rufolo has three masters, and works with law enforcement teams in identifying bones.

He received awards in archaeology and palaeontology.

He now works at the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa.
by Shannon Martin 10:33 AM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
More
"Ruffle-O" he clarifies is the pronunciation of his name. He got his doctoral degree in zooarchaeology at Johns Hopkins. He has three masters degrees. Paleontology, Zoological Heritage Archaeology, and Near Eastern Arch. Works at a museum in Ottawa. #LauraBabcock

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
42s42 seconds ago
More
Millard has called Dr Scott Rufolo, as an expert in zoo Archeology. Works at the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
53s53 seconds ago
More
Rufalo's CV will be made an exhibit (awkwardly, as #Millard learns the process). #LauraBabcock

Quick question, Is this man here of his own volition and is he being paid as an expert witness? Does any one have experience with how much an expert witness costs? I can't imagine they do this out of the goodness of their heart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie