Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.05.17 - Closing Arguments - Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Babcock murder trial discussion thread.

A few general reminders about the trial:

Any testimony that might remain under Publication Ban, and/or any courtroom discussion that takes place when the jury is not present, is strictly off-limits.

Only testimony that is published through MSM reporting (newspaper articles, tweets, tv) is allowed. Provide a source link, and keep discussion focused on testimony as it becomes public knowledge.

The magnificent principle of “innocent until proven guilty” is for the court room … it is not required that the general public / Websleuths members adhere to that principle. Members are allowed to discuss, speculate, theorize, and judge according to opinions they develop from following the specifics of the case.

A few general reminders from Websleuths TOS aka The Rules.

At all times, remain VICTIM FRIENDLY. No bashing or passing judgment on the victim or family.

There is ZERO TOLERANCE for snarky or disrespectful posts. Don’t expect an explanation … you will find your post has simply disappeared, or that you can no longer post.

There is to be NO name calling or name variations, not even of the accused.

BICKERING between members is not allowed. If you disagree, that's fine, say so and move past the post. If a post is offensive, alert it and let the Mods review it. If you respond to the post, both the offensive post AND yours will be removed and may result in other consequences.

Alert on a post and move on without discussing it, and don't question the decisions of our Mods/Admin or Owner. Also do not expect personalized responses with explanations about a particular decision.

Do not abuse the WS Alert feature. Abuse includes, but is not limited to:
• Overuse of the alert system
• Repeatedly alerting on the same poster
• Demanding a specific outcome
• Alerting on the same post more than once

Paywall Sites

Under copyright law, members who read information at a paid subscription site are NOT legally allowed to bring information obtained through those accounts over to Websleuths or pass the information to a third party to post the information here. All information posted at Websleuths about the trial must be obtained through MSM or MSM social media (i.e. Twitter, Facebook) and linked.

If you have any questions, use the Alert feature or send a PM and we will be happy to assist.

:tyou:

:rose: Remembering Laura Babcock and waiting for Justice :rose:

1297999253571_ORIGINAL.jpg

link

You are not forgotten ... Rest peacefully, Laura
:rose: :rose:

Closing arguments expected at Laura Babcock murder trial
By Shannon Martin, CBC News Dec 05, 2017

Accused killer Dellen Millard, who is acting as his own lawyer, will have an opportunity to directly address the jury today at the Laura Babcock murder trial as closing arguments get underway.

Over the last six weeks, Millard has stood countless times at a tall wooden podium in the centre of the courtroom, and cross-examined as many as 40 Crown witnesses.

But when it came to mounting his own defence last week, the Toronto-area man only called three witnesses and declined to present an opening statement.

Crown prosecutors believe Babcock, a 23-year-old university graduate who once worked at a toy store, was killed in early July 2012, her body later burned in an animal incinerator.

CBC Live Blog

Live Blog Mobile

Shannon Martin‏
@ShannonMartinTV
5m5 minutes ago
More
Hi there, Justice Michael Code has arrived and we are standing by for closing arguments. #LauraBabcock

Carried over from the previous thread

Hi there, Justice Michael Code has arrived and we are standing by for closing arguments.
by Shannon Martin 10:02 AM

There are some legal discussions happening. Once the jury arrives, we can begin the blog.
by Shannon Martin 10:08 AM

HMMM Legal discussions, big surprise!

The jury has arrived.

Millard begins his closing address, "Good morning members of the jury."

"I see a disadvantage going first... I've not heard the closing arguments of the other parties. I've heard the evidence of the trial, I cannot know for certain what points the other parties will frame their arguments."

by Shannon Martin 10:14 AM

The jury has arrived.

"I see a disadvantage going first... I've not heard the closing arguments of the other parties. I've heard the evidence of the trial, I cannot know for certain what points the other parties will frame their arguments."

Then perhaps you shouldn't have called that useless evidence.

Millard says "this is my last chance to address you."

He says he'll spend the day reviewing the evidence. "It'll seem long and irrelevant at times."

"There has been a lot of media coverage surrounding my name. Not a lot of it has been so complimentary."

He asks them to disregard personal opinions they have formed about him. "You may not like the way I've lived my life or treated certain individuals. I ask you to put that aside."

by Shannon Martin 10:18 AM

The jury has arrived.

"This make's it quite difficult for me to formulate all my lies". :seeya:

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
6m6 minutes ago
Jury is here. #Millard is standing at the podium in the middle of the room. #LauraBabcock

4m4 minutes ago
Millard: "Good morning, members of the jury." Slight smile. "My name is first on the playlist. That's the law." #Millard thinks he's at a disadvantage because he hasn't heard the other closing arguments. #LauraBabcock

4m4 minutes ago
"On the flip side, they get to hear my closing first... and tailor their closings to be more persuasive... please remember I don't have a chance to respond again," #Millard says. #LauraBabcock

3m3 minutes ago
Millard tells the jury he may get some points of law wrong, and the judge may correct him, and the judge is always right. #LauraBabcock

2m2 minutes ago
There has been a lot of evidence and much of it is irrelevant, #Millard tells the jury. "There's been opinion evidence, evidence of bad character, suggestion of other criminal acts." #Millard asks the jury not to hold that against him.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
2m2 minutes ago
There's been a lot of media coverage about #Millard and mostly not complimentary, and he asks the jury not to hold that against him. "You may not like the way I lived my life or the way I treated certain individuals." He wants the jury to ignore that too. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
2m2 minutes ago
#Millard would rather bore the jury with his points rather than take a chance they don't get one of his points, he says. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
2m2 minutes ago
"What is an inference?" It's a conclusion we draw based on facts, #Millard says. Imagine you're on a road trip, and you stop at a motel, and you looked out the window and saw the lawn was wet. You draw an inference that it rained last night.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
33s34 seconds ago
But maybe there was a sprinkler system at the motel. That's a competing inference, #Millard says. He may ask jury to draw different inferences than the crown. Tells the jury their primary function is to look at facts and draw their own inferences. #LauraBabcock

Elements of the defence. #Millard says these are what have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. "I'm hoping you'll take everything, and nothing in isolation." He says the elements of the defence have not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
19s19 seconds ago
"Is Laura dead?" #Millard says that's the first question the jury has to ask, before going on to place, time and method of #LauraBabcock's death.

Millard talks about the "elements of defence."

He hopes the jury will consider everything they've heard.

"I anticipate you will decide the elements of defence have not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt."

He says they will have to decide: Is Laura dead? He says not just that, but they will have to decide when she died, how she died, where she died and why she died.
by Shannon Martin 10:23 AM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
Millard is reading off a computer on the podium. He's talking about reasonable doubt. What is unreasonable doubt? He says that's philosophy. Am I really here? Is this a dream?" He can see the jury and smell the air and touch the woodgrain of his podium. #LauraBabcock

Huh? :dunno:

The jury has arrived.

Very good point. Not fair to Dell

Thank you for doing the tweets and blog today, Kamille and meterclicks! I’ll be reading from time to time today but can’t stay.

I hope that the day goes well for everyone, and as always, thinking of Laura and her family today as this proceeds.

Millard, "Have you ever been in a dream and thought it was real? Or have you ever been in a dream and knew you were dreaming?"

He's talking about senses.

About half of the jury members are looking at Millard, the rest are looking down or at their hands, or at other spots in the courtroom entirely.
by Shannon Martin 10:25 AM

49s50 seconds ago
Millard says it would be unreasonable to ask whether he's really here because evidence shows he is here. "It all makes sense. It fits together." Beyond reasonable doubt means to be absolutely convinced of something. #LauraBabcock.

52s53 seconds ago
"Have you ever been in a dream and thought it real?" #Millard asks jury. Or maybe been in a dream and known it was a dream. "It's my position that the crowns case is something like a convincing dream."

Lisa Hepfner‏ HefCHCHNews

Packed house at #LauraBabcock murder trial today. Accused Dellen #Millard, representing himself, will have closing submissions for the jury.

Jury is here. #Millard is standing at the podium in the middle of the room.

Millard: "Good morning, members of the jury." Slight smile. "My name is first on the playlist. That's the law." #Millard thinks he's at a disadvantage because he hasn't heard the other closing arguments.

"On the flip side, they get to hear my closing first... and tailor their closings to be more persuasive... please remember I don't have a chance to respond again," #Millard says.

Millard tells the jury he may get some points of law wrong, and the judge may correct him, and the judge is always right.

There has been a lot of evidence and much of it is irrelevant, #Millard tells the jury. "There's been opinion evidence, evidence of bad character, suggestion of other criminal acts." #Millard asks the jury not to hold that against him.

There's been a lot of media coverage about #Millard and mostly not complimentary, and he asks the jury not to hold that against him. "You may not like the way I lived my life or the way I treated certain individuals." He wants the jury to ignore that too.

#Millard would rather bore the jury with his points rather than take a chance they don't get one of his points, he says.

"What is an inference?" It's a conclusion we draw based on facts, #Millard says. Imagine you're on a road trip, and you stop at a motel, and you looked out the window and saw the lawn was wet. You draw an inference that it rained last night.

But maybe there was a sprinkler system at the motel. That's a competing inference, #Millard says. He may ask jury to draw different inferences than the crown. Tells the jury their primary function is to look at facts and draw their own inferences.

Elements of the defence. #Millard says these are what have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. "I'm hoping you'll take everything, and nothing in isolation." He says the elements of the defence have not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

"Is Laura dead?" #Millard says that's the first question the jury has to ask, before going on to place, time and method of #LauraBabcock's death.

Millard is reading off a computer on the podium. He's talking about reasonable doubt. What is unreasonable doubt? He says that's philosophy. Am I really here? Is this a dream?" He can see the jury and smell the air and touch the woodgrain of his podium.

Millard says it would be unreasonable to ask whether he's really here because evidence shows he is here. "It all makes sense. It fits together." Beyond reasonable doubt means to be absolutely convinced of something.

"Have you ever been in a dream and thought it real?" #Millard asks jury. Or maybe been in a dream and known it was a dream. "It's my position that the crowns case is something like a convincing dream."

Millard says some things make sense but some major details don't add up, and he's going to go through those major details today.

That was my little soliloquy, #Millard says, smiling at the jury.

2m2 minutes ago
Millard says some things make sense but some major details don't add up, and he's going to go through those major details today. #LauraBabcock

1m1 minute ago
That was my little soliloquy, #Millard says, smiling at the jury. #LauraBabcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads