At 16 Cyntoia Brown Killed A "Customer" Should she be Released from Prison?

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"It's been 13 years since Cyntoia Brown was sentenced — at the age of 16 — to life in prison for the killing of a man who had picked her up for sex. But this week, thanks the power of celebrities on social media, the case rose to national attention again, and Brown's lawyer said she was "shocked" at the renewed interest."

More at the link from NBC https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/who-cyntoia-brown-celebrities-rally-behind-teen-sentenced-life-prison-n823786

A violent sexual monster pimp named "Kut Throat" sells her to a 43-year-old sex pervert to use as he pleases for the night. She sees him reaching for something and so shoots him out of fear. She did steal the "customer's" money but was that premeditated? She had been living on the street with a guy named "Kut Throat" for heck's sake. All she knew was she had to keep Kut Throat happy and somehow had to survive day by day.

Cyntoia ran away as a teenager and hooked up with this monster of a beast.

Let's look at it from another side. Let's say Cyntoia was so tough that nothing scared her. Let's say she killed her john for the money. Killed him in cold blood.

She was 16, She was on the streets with a guy who was violent. Did she really need to be charged as an adult and sent to prison? Wouldn't the right thing to do, at the very least, is to retry her and send her to a psychiatric hospital until she is deemed not a danger anymore?

No way should she have been charged with first-degree murder. IMO. She should get a new trial.

One of my beliefs is if a human being becomes a violent danger to others that human should be locked away. The circumstances, no matter what they are, don't change the fact that this is a violent human being who kills when allowed to roam free and therefore should not be allowed to roam free. I'm not talking about Cyntoia here. I'm talking about someone like Ted Bundy. No matter what a person like Ted Bundy should never see the light of day. I get that and I support this belief first and foremost.

In Cyntoia's case she has not been given the treatment she needed to heal. Even if experts deem Cyntoia a danger to others she should be in a hospital and not in prison. IMO

Look, I get you have to look at cases without emotion and if the bare facts are Cyntoia Brown walked up and killed a man you can see where someone might say there is no excuse for her to take his life.

BUT, you have to look at surrounding circumstances and boy those circumstances are something else.

What do you think?

Tricia

I haven't made up my mind how I feel about this case, lots of reading left to do...however there are a few things that stick out in my mind giving me many more questions. It's really bothering me that the victim was a client, not her pimp.

I'm just not getting a self defense feeling.

Court documents state:

The nude victim was lying face-down on the bed in a large pool of blood, and his “hands were beneath his face, his fingers ‘kind of partially interlocked,’” as if he had been sleeping

He drove her to the Sonic, they ordered food, and the victim offered to let her spend the night at his home.

https://tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/browncyntoiadeniseopn.pdf

Then this:
In video recorded statements at the time of her arrest, however, "Brown admitted to lying about her age when she first encountered her victim," and she is stated to have said that "[while] Allen slept, she left the room, found his gun collection, returned to the bedroom and shot him while he slept. Prosecutors raised the point that Brown premeditated the murder, because the victim was asleep, she had an opportunity to leave and chose not to. Brown later told investigators that Allen had reached for something and she feared for her life, but the forensic evidence didn't support it. Evidence shows Allen was asleep when he was shot dead with a gunshot wound to the back of his head. His hands were underneath his body and partially interlocked indicative of a person who is sleeping. When Brown left Allen's house, she took his wallet, guns, and his car."

http://www.yourtango.com/2017308682...teen-sex-trafficking-life-prison-killing-pimp

There is more at those links, interesting reads.

Just my thoughts.

I haven't yet come up to speed on this case but even without knowing the facts I believe (IMO) that if this crime happened today Cyntoia might not be sentenced to life. For one thing, I'm seeing more plea deals lately and for another, more important reason, the recent Supreme Court decision regarding minor offenders no longer automatically being tried as adults and given LWOP might have impacted Cyntoia's case. So maybe her case needs to be reviewed.

Here's some info on what I'm referring to:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...607e0e265ce_story.html?utm_term=.12903c3d6a8c

So for those reasons alone IMO her case should be reexamined. In today's court it would have been up to the judge, not the DA to decide if Cyntoia would be tried as a minor or an adult. It would have been determined by the evidence, along with expert testimony.

That's not to say I agree all minors should be tried in juvenile court, which would allow them to be released in a few years - we've seen a few recent cases here (Madyson Middleton immediately comes to mind) that involve teens who should not be allowed back into society for a very long time - but attitudes, education and law has changed since Cyntoia was in court.

I don't see a downside to reviewing the evidence in her case. If the end result is that she belongs in prison for life then at least she would have been given the same accommodation as other juveniles in current cases.

All MOO.

She was a trafficked young girl. Implying that she had enough agency in the situation to have a "client" is pretty irresponsible.

Who said the word client? I used "Customer" with quotations in the title because I am limited in how many characters I can use. Otherwise I would have typed a more descriptive title.

Other than "John" which also means toilet or a man's name or "trick" which I didn't feel was right either, the two other terms used, that I could find anyway, were "client" and "customer".

To me "client" did sound more formal and this situation was anything but formal.

So that is how I came to use the word "Customer".

Yes.

My DD was an unstable teen. Once she was gone for three weeks. We were desperate. We found her in a big city, fought for physical possession of her. Others on the street called out 'remember where we are!' We turned her over to the police.

I firmly believe she was two steps down the rabbit hole.

Cyntoia Brown had very little control over her life or actions, IMO. If no one comes for you, and fights for you, you are nearly doomed.

I know a lot of ppl were wondering why Cyntoia didn't shoot the pimp instead... I'd say she was probably under his spell and wouldn't do or try anything against Cut-Throat out of fear... Pimps are using their charms and then scare tactics to control those ppl and most of the time they succeed.

Regarding the man Cyn. shot ; why would he keep guns all over the place including the room they were in and why was he showing her all of those guns? Was it to control her and/or to scare her? I think she did do it in self-defense I've been reading about her case for years now and I'm wondering if anyone who did so as well remember the 2 other teenagers who came forward and spoke about the man attitude and misconduct including a 17yo who went with a date with him which went wrong?). Sadly the judge (I think) didn't allow those 2 ladies to testify in front of the jury!

They mentioned, the 17yo in that article below but I remember an old article where it was explained in details what happened during that date but I cant find it anymore due to the recent media attention

http://cyntoiabrown-irishgreeneyes....1/cyntoia-brown-got-adults-life-sentence.html

Yes for a new trial and Yes for her freedom!

Yes, she was a trafficked child.

Gov. Haslam Reviewing Cyntoia Brown Case

NASHVILLE, TN -- Tennessee's governor is preparing to review the 13-year-old case of Cyntoia Brown, who was convicted of murdering a john who solicited sex from her. The case has drawn increased attention as celebrities have expressed support for her release.

Haslam's administration is gathering information from the case, though the governor has said he has not seen Brown's appeal for clemency from her life sentence. The 29-year-old is not eligible for parole until she is 67.

I can only think of the countless other child victims who would have fallen prey to this "customer" had he not been stopped. She was a child. A severely abused child. God only knows what he would have been capable of or what he had done prior to that night. She should not be rotting away in a prison with no possible chance of rehabilitation. It's almost like society telling her she would have been better off being murdered and thrown in a dumpster that night.

Ethan Couch murdered four people and still shows no remorse for his crimes and he will spend a whopping two-years (if that) in jail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back