Albuquerque officer adopts homeless mom’s opioid-addicted newborn

A police officer has gone above and beyond the call of duty and has adopted an opioid-addicted mother's newborn baby.

Ryan Holets was patrolling in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on September 23 when he responded to a call about a possible theft at a nearby convenience store, reported CNN.
Behind the store, he found Crystal Champ, 35, and her partner Tom Key shooting up heroin. As Holets began to approach them, he noticed the woman was heavily pregnant.
46E1484600000578-5137147-image-a-4_1512150237028.jpg
Behind the store, he found Crystal Champ, 35 (pictured), and her partner Tom Key shooting up heroin. As Holets began to approach them, he noticed the woman was heavily pregnant
attachment.php

Attachments

• 46E148C700000578-5137147-image-a-6_1512150257797.jpg
    46E148C700000578-5137147-image-a-6_1512150257797.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 149
Such a sweet, moving story. God bless officer Holets.....what a good man.

Ryan, his wife Rebecca and baby Hope are guests of the Trumps at the State of the Union Address tonight. Baby Hope is sleeping peacefully and looks adorable.

Oh bless him and his wife (and, of course, Baby Hope) x

What has become of the heroin addicted couple now ?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/opinion/baby-hope-sotu.html
Jan 31 2018
You might have been wondering — I know I was — what happened to that homeless woman? Was she offered treatment? Was she given a chance to reunite with her newborn baby, which could have been a powerful incentive to get clean? Can she be part of the baby’s life? Where is she now? Is she O.K.?

The woman’s name is Crystal Champ, and her history is sad, and, at this point, to anyone who’s been paying attention to the devastating opioid epidemic, sadly familiar. And, according to a December CNN report, she has been addicted since she was a teenager, and on the street for the past two years.

Continue reading the main story
“I did give up. I just decided this was going to be my life,” Ms. Champ told CNN. Her previous attempts to get clean all ended in failure. “It just keeps coming back and ruining my life.”
Once the story went public, Mr. Holets set up a page to help support Ms. Champ as she sought treatment. Donors, who saw Ms. Champ as a person in need of respect and care, gave their money. A rehab facility offered a scholarship.

According to Officer Holets, who spoke to CNN on Wednesday, Crystal Champ has now been sober for 40 days.

Its funny how media is now calling heroin use an opiod epidemic.
I prefer to keep "heroin use" separate from "pharmaceutical opiate" drugs when referring to the drugs name.
Heroin has been around for centuries.
Pharmaceutical opiate drugs have been around only for a few decades , now the media calls them "opioids" !
Theres no heroin epidemic really is there ?
People will turn to heroin because its easier or cheaper than pharmaceutical opiates.
Be warned of the media propaganda imo.

Its funny how media is now calling heroin use an opiod epidemic.
I prefer to keep "heroin use" separate from "pharmaceutical opiate" drugs when referring to the drugs name.
Heroin has been around for centuries.
Pharmaceutical opiate drugs have been around only for a few decades , now the media calls them "opioids" !
Theres no heroin epidemic really is there ?
People will turn to heroin because its easier or cheaper than pharmaceutical opiates.
Be warned of the media propaganda imo.

About to have another illicit opiate drug epidemic strike here in Australia, methinks:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2018-01-29/codeine-changes-what-you-need-to-know/9361922

Two words; ‘harm minimisation’.

Anyway, kind of OT. This is a ‘News That Makes You Smile’ thread. Sometimes we can simply allow ourselves to revel in the simple joy of a story without thinking too much — to take away the pain of the others. I call them ‘fairy floss (cotton candy for the Americans) for the mind’.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back