Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.07.17 - Charge to the Jury - Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Babcock murder trial discussion thread.

A few general reminders about the trial:

Any testimony that might remain under Publication Ban, and/or any courtroom discussion that takes place when the jury is not present, is strictly off-limits.

Only testimony that is published through MSM reporting (newspaper articles, tweets, tv) is allowed. Provide a source link, and keep discussion focused on testimony as it becomes public knowledge.

The magnificent principle of “innocent until proven guilty” is for the court room … it is not required that the general public / Websleuths members adhere to that principle. Members are allowed to discuss, speculate, theorize, and judge according to opinions they develop from following the specifics of the case.

A few general reminders from Websleuths TOS aka The Rules.

At all times, remain VICTIM FRIENDLY. No bashing or passing judgment on the victim or family.

There is ZERO TOLERANCE for snarky or disrespectful posts. Don’t expect an explanation … you will find your post has simply disappeared, or that you can no longer post.

There is to be NO name calling or name variations, not even of the accused.

BICKERING between members is not allowed. If you disagree, that's fine, say so and move past the post. If a post is offensive, alert it and let the Mods review it. If you respond to the post, both the offensive post AND yours will be removed and may result in other consequences.

Alert on a post and move on without discussing it, and don't question the decisions of our Mods/Admin or Owner. Also do not expect personalized responses with explanations about a particular decision.

Do not abuse the WS Alert feature. Abuse includes, but is not limited to:
• Overuse of the alert system
• Repeatedly alerting on the same poster
• Demanding a specific outcome
• Alerting on the same post more than once

Paywall Sites

Under copyright law, members who read information at a paid subscription site are NOT legally allowed to bring information obtained through those accounts over to Websleuths or pass the information to a third party to post the information here. All information posted at Websleuths about the trial must be obtained through MSM or MSM social media (i.e. Twitter, Facebook) and linked.

If you have any questions, use the Alert feature or send a PM and we will be happy to assist.

:tyou:

:rose: Remembering Laura Babcock and waiting for Justice :rose:

1297999253571_ORIGINAL.jpg

link

You are not forgotten ... Rest peacefully, Laura
:rose: :rose:

Laura Babcock didn't disappear, she was murdered, Crown tells jury during closing address
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Dec 06, 2017

dungey-court-sketch-babcock-trial.jpg

Though there's no evidence of exactly how it happened, co-accused killers Dellen Millard and Mark Smich murdered Toronto woman Laura Babcock before incinerating her body to obliterate any trace of evidence, the Crown said today in closing statements in court.​

Crown attorney Jill Cameron spent the afternoon taking the jury through what she alleges were Babcock's last days, in July of 2012. Babcock left electronic "footprints" everywhere, Cameron said, before she simply vanished without a trace on July 4.

No one knows if Babcock was shot, stabbed or strangled, Cameron said — but in the end, it doesn't matter.

"We don't need to know how Laura died to find them both guilty of first-degree murder," she told the jury.

Smich's laywer calls Crown case 'fiction'

Before Cameron began her closing statements, Dungey told the jury the Crown's case against his client is full of holes and amounts to "fiction."

Dungey appeared before the jury in a much more animated fashion than previously seen in the trial, pointing and gesturing, with his voice booming throughout the courtroom.

"Is this a novel? Because it sure is fiction," Dungey said. "There's got to be some skin in the game here folks. There's got to be some substance."

Judge begins final charge to Laura Babcock jury
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Dec 07, 2017

After weeks of testimony, dozens of witnesses and a "mountain" of evidence, the trial of two men accused of killing Toronto woman Laura Babcock is entering its final stages.

Justice Michael Code will begin his charge to the jury on Thursday, the last stage before deliberations on a verdict. A charge to the jury usually includes an overview of the trial's evidence, instructions on how to weigh testimony and the avenues by which a jury can reach different verdicts.

Code's charge to the jury is expected to last at least two days, with deliberations to begin early next week.

CBC Live Blog

Live Blog Mobile

Court begins at 10:00 AM ET

I'm of the opinion that the jury should be sequestered immediately after the Judge's charge. Am I alone in this?
Also, once sequestered, do they deliberate over weekends?
TIA! :)

Hey everyone - I'm back at the courthouse this morning as Justice Code begins his charge to the jury at the Laura Babcock trial.
by Adam Carter 9:43 AM

The charge is quite long, and is expected to take multiple days. It's the last piece of information the jury will get before they deliberate on a verdict.
by Adam Carter 9:45 AM

We're now underway in court, but no jury yet. I'll let you know when they're in the room.
by Adam Carter 9:58 AM

For the Judges charge to the jury, are the defendants and their lawyers in court also?

I'm of the opinion that the jury should be sequestered immediately after the Judge's charge. Am I alone in this?
Also, once sequestered, do they deliberate over weekends?
TIA! :)

I believe they are sequestered after his charge, and I also understand they are in weekends too.

We're now underway in court, but no jury yet. I'll let you know when they're in the room.
by Adam Carter 9:58 AM

Thanks to all that can help with the tweets. :)

For anyone who is not familiar with a charge to the jury, it's dense. It usually includes an overview of the trial's evidence, instructions on how to weigh testimony and the avenues by which a jury can reach different verdicts. It's a key process for a jury -- but it can be fairly dry and technical. I'll do my best to explain it all as we go. If you have questions, you can ask them on Twitter at @adamcartercbc and I'll do my best to help you out.
by Adam Carter 10:03 AM

The jury is now coming in. We're getting underway.
by Adam Carter 10:10 AM

Code tells the jury we're in the "last, home stretch."
by Adam Carter 10:12 AM

He's now running through the schedule for the next couple of days. Says his charge is over 300 pages, and is "constantly evolving." He says it will likely take three days to deliver.
by Adam Carter 10:13 AM

"Some of this is pretty complex, and dense," Code says.

He says they may slip into a fourth day, to begin deliberations earlier in a day.

This means the jury would likely be sequestered on Tuesday until they reach a verdict. Code is now asking the jury if they'd like to sit on the weekend to get to it quicker.
by Adam Carter 10:14 AM

He says they may slip into a fourth day, to begin deliberations earlier in a day.

This means the jury would likely be sequestered on Tuesday until they reach a verdict. Code is now asking the jury if they'd like to sit on the weekend to get to it quicker.
by Adam Carter 10:14 AM

Oops - didn't realise they had a choice on weekends.

Code asks the jury to let him know at the morning recess how they'd like to proceed. Now, he's starting his charge to the jury.
by Adam Carter 10:16 AM

Code says he's an old fashioned guy who doesn't love new technology, but says tech is much better for one area, because of the computer. That, he says, is making quick changes to the charge.
by Adam Carter 10:17 AM

Oops - didn't realise they had a choice on weekends.

I don't think they do once they are sequestered. He is just asking if they want to sit on the weekend so that he can finish up the charge and get to deliberations. IMO.

The charge will go with them to the jury room, so they have a copy to follow as they deliberate.
by Adam Carter 10:18 AM

"Members of the jury, you have now heard all the evidence in this case, and the closing submissions of council and Mr. Millard," Code says. He says the charge will show them how to apply the facts, as they see them, to the law, to reach a verdict.
by Adam Carter 10:21 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member