828 users online (175 members and 653 guests)  

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38
    (From yesterday)

AFTER AN EPIC FIRE, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IS NOW FACING AN EPIC FLOOD
    Mudslides, waterspouts, and flash flooding are expected in already hard-hit areas.
    https://psmag.com/environment/southe...-an-epic-flood

"Nearly double the normal rainfall for the entire month of January—up to 10 inches on ocean-facing mountain slopes—is expected to fall in a matter of hours on Monday night into Tuesday morning. Los Angeles, which received less than an inch of rain between March 1st, 2017, and January 1st, 2018, could get three times that in less than a day. The worry is that the ground, having just been singed by flames, will be unable to sop up the excess moisture, directing damaging mudslides toward the very same communities still in recovery from the fire.

On Monday, Meteorologists raised their highest alert for excessive rainfall as a major Pacific storm is set to take aim—coincidentally—on the exact same stretch of coastal real estate that was ravaged in the Thomas Fire, the largest wildfire in state history.

The Thomas Fire, which is technically still burning, has fundamentally transformed hundreds of square miles in recent weeks, creating a nearly ideal environment for mudslides."

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    Yay doggie!!

"In the 300 block of Hot Springs Road, crews rescued six people and a dog after four homes were destroyed. The mud lifted one home off its foundation and carried it into trees, where it then collapsed, Eliason said. Firefighters used the jaws of life to cut their way into the home where a firefighter heard muffled cries for help from a 14-year-old girl, Eliason said.

A rescue dog pinpointed the girl’s location and two hours later, the mud-covered girl was pulled free. A second 14-year-old girl was also rescued from the same neighborhood and carried from ankle-high mud in a basket by half a dozen firefighters."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...109-story.html
    BBM.

Петрова от София в Сиатъл.
    Here for the missing & lost souls.

DMayiJ, you are my muse.
    _____

Good grief .... I saw a video of one of these mudslides pouring down a main road and it was shocking! And more lives lost... just so unbelievable to someone who lives clear across the states.
    "At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    IQ, where you at sister? Please check in when you can.
    Hey there MARGARITA25 I apologize profusely for not checking in with all of you. In my humble defense, I have been running ragged and trying to comply with all the requests from the insurance company, adjusters, city, hazardous waste disposal, attorneys etc. Going to every city meeting and/or disaster relief meeting. I can not emphasize the devastation....it wasn't just a fire, it was an incinerator....fire so hot it melted glass windows, and metal. The dry vegetation was the fuel and the high winds provided the bellows of a blacksmith's furnace.....a furnace that was moving the length of a football field per minute!! Monday night I attended a city meeting (in Ventura County) and they were explaining how dangerous the rains would be due to the lack of vegetation on the hillsides. They showed us maps of the watershed and how devastating the flooding could be.....they told people to call 911 if any of the sewer grids were clogged with debris, etc. (Going to the meeting was a last minute decision, but one I will never regret...and I told Hubby, this is going to be a long night.) Sadly, less than 9 hours later our neighboring county of Santa Barbara (also affected by the Thomas Fire) got a torrent of rain as the storm moved North. In only 5 minutes of hard rainfall, the ash and debris moved down the hillsides and (as of last count) 13 beautiful lives were lost!!! This is horrible.....absolutely unfathomable....
    These people lived in one of the most scenic and desirable areas of California.....with all of our technology and USGS maps on flooding scenarios.....how can this happen??????

Reality has set in.....and it hurts deeply....I am crying a bit too much. Mr. Wonderful has noticed the light of my eternal optimism has dimmed significantly. I can't sugar-coat this, recovery is extremely difficult....but our situation is minor compared to the loss of precious lives. Tonight I am praying for the residents of Montecito (Santa Barbara County) and hope there are no more casualties.
    IQ.

Fire leads to flood all too often, but seldom with such tragic results as in Southern California early Tuesday. Flash floods and mudslides took at least 13 lives in Montecito, an unincorporated coastal area of about 9000 residents just east of Santa Barbara. Heavy overnight rains cascaded onto hillsides denuded by catastrophic fire in December, leading to the floods and mudslides. Update (10:15 am EDT Wednesday): The Associated Press confirmed on Wednesday morning that the death toll had risen to 15, as reported by weather.com.

At least 25 other injuries were reported in Montecito. Dozens of residents were rescued, according to the Los Angeles Times. The toll may rise as searchers make their way into areas that were impossible to access late Tuesday. A smaller but still-damaging mudslide was reported in a Burbank neighborhood affected by the La Tuna Canyon Fire last September.
    https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/le...ern-california
    Baby girl SBHack due May 7
    “Sometimes, only one person is missing, and the whole world seems depopulated.” –Alphonse de Lamartine
    Hooks up

iQuestion

I feel so awful that I am here in relative comfort and free of worries, yet some I know (even if only via internet) are going through such devastating experiences. I am grateful when you are able to stop by, as it gives an honest and true perspective of the reality our California friends are facing. There is so little being shown on our news channels here.

You take care of yourself as best you can. We are here to prop you beck up when you need an extra hug, prayer, thought, anything we can give back to you.

The same applies to all who may be experiencing the devastation in the area, or have friends/family who are. We are here for all of you, as much as we possibly can be. Do not hesitate to ask for a hug!
    "At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender, murdered 12/10/2012, unsolved
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2014; LWOP for Joseph Adams
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015 ; Daniel Clay-Guilty Felony Murder/concealing body 5/16/2017
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by IQuestion View Post
    Hey there MARGARITA25 I apologize profusely for not checking in with all of you. In my humble defense, I have been running ragged and trying to comply with all the requests from the insurance company, adjusters, city, hazardous waste disposal, attorneys etc. Going to every city meeting and/or disaster relief meeting. I can not emphasize the devastation....it wasn't just a fire, it was an incinerator....fire so hot it melted glass windows, and metal. The dry vegetation was the fuel and the high winds provided the bellows of a blacksmith's furnace.....a furnace that was moving the length of a football field per minute!! Monday night I attended a city meeting (in Ventura County) and they were explaining how dangerous the rains would be due to the lack of vegetation on the hillsides. They showed us maps of the watershed and how devastating the flooding could be.....they told people to call 911 if any of the sewer grids were clogged with debris, etc. (Going to the meeting was a last minute decision, but one I will never regret...and I told Hubby, this is going to be a long night.) Sadly, less than 9 hours later our neighboring county of Santa Barbara (also affected by the Thomas Fire) got a torrent of rain as the storm moved North. In only 5 minutes of hard rainfall, the ash and debris moved down the hillsides and (as of last count) 13 beautiful lives were lost!!! This is horrible.....absolutely unfathomable....
    These people lived in one of the most scenic and desirable areas of California.....with all of our technology and USGS maps on flooding scenarios.....how can this happen??????

Reality has set in.....and it hurts deeply....I am crying a bit too much. Mr. Wonderful has noticed the light of my eternal optimism has dimmed significantly. I can't sugar-coat this, recovery is extremely difficult....but our situation is minor compared to the loss of precious lives. Tonight I am praying for the residents of Montecito (Santa Barbara County) and hope there are no more casualties.
    IQ.
    IQ, we are so happy to hear from you and grateful that you have taken the time out of all of this to let us know where you are at.

I'm sorry to say I have no words that will better this situation but I am sending love and prayers and all that I can send not being local to help you physically. We are all just a little post away and if there is anything and I mean ANYTHING that we can actually do from wherever we are stationed, please, please tell us.

Love, hugs and all that good stuff coming your way, IQ and anyone else feeling the wrath of disasters in CA right now.

DMayiJ, you are my muse.
    _____

A thread for those missing in the CA mudslides: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...s-January-2018

Via Gardener1850

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post
    CA - Dozens Missing in Southern California Mudslides, January 2018
    https://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...s-January-2018

Quote Originally Posted by IQuestion View Post

IQ.
    Good to hear from you IQ, as I've been thinking of you and your DH and how you're doing, especially with the flooding. Here's wishing you strength and courage through this tremendously testing time. Unbelievable how much people have gone through with the fires and now this. Sending you all the hugs you want. Thank you for keeping us informed on you.
    Last edited by FindHG; 01-11-2018 at 06:19 AM.
    my opinions only

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The number of missing after a California mudslide has fluctuated wildly, due to shifting definitions, the inherent uncertainty that follows a natural disaster, and just plain human error.

On Thursday, the number provided by authorities went from 48, down to eight, then back up to 43. Officials say a clerical mistake led to the figure of eight being released.
    At a news conference Thursday where he said 43 were missing, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said the updated figure was an "inclusive" number that encompassed several definitions of "missing."
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/11...-mudslide.html

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...s-January-2018

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/1024179001/

30 square miles. 17 dead. More than 400 homes damaged. The tragic tale of deadly California mudslides

>>>snip

...Cal Fire puts the affected area at 30 square miles. Seventeen people dead, 28 injured, 43 missing — a number updated by officials due to a clerical mistake. Sixty-five homes confirmed destroyed and more than 400 damaged. Fourteen helicopters and four water rescue teams were aiding the effort...

(article continues, with video)

<<<snip

(((((IQ!! Hugging you so hard!!!))))) (((((You too, shana!! Are you all right?!)))))
    If you're lucky enough to be at the beach, you're lucky enough.

IQuestion,

How are you doing???!!!

How is everyone in CA?

DMayiJ, you are my muse.
    _____

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38