21-year-old NYC man dies in jump from Empire State Building

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Man dies in jump from Empire State Building

21-year-old New York City man apparently leaped from 66th floor

NEW YORK - A New York City man jumped to his death Wednesday afternoon from the Empire State Building in an apparent suicide, police said Thursday.
Lt. John Grimpel said Dovid Abramowitz, 21, jumped from a vacant office on the 66th floor.
Officials discovered his body on a landing on the sixth floor of the building, one of New York's key tourist destinations.

More: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11142390/

:(

Oh my goodness. I was wondering what all the sirens were for but just figured it is NY and the sirens are nonstop.

I wonder what drove him to such despair. I feel sorry for anyone who may have witnessed this.

I can't even imagine the scene of those kinds of suicides. :sick:

That poor young man. Only 21.
I, too, wonder what drove him to do that.

I pray for his soul.

oh my, that is sad, how bad can life be at 21? I know life can suck at times, but he had his whole life in front of him with all kinds of great possibilities...

It's close to impossible to jump off the TOP of that building. And it's hard to actually make it to the ground if you jump out of any of the windows over the 10th floor. Jumpers usually hit one of the ledges before they make it to the street. Friend of mine's girl friend jumped out of a 7 story building in NYC and survived, although she died a day or so later. She was so high on meth/coke they couldn't sucessfully anesthetize her, so she basically lay in a hospital bed for nearly 48 hours, screaming in agony. Jumping's probably more common there (whether out of windows or in front of trains) than anywhere else in the US.

I am wondering why, and how, he came to choose the Empire State Building.

It will be interesting to find out about his background.

PrayersForMaura said:
I can't even imagine the scene of those kinds of suicides. :sick:
Like a bug on a windshield.

The poor soul must have been desperate. God bless him. Sometimes, I have to admit, I can admire someone who has the guts to actually do it. Not just a half hearted attempt, cry for help. But they never think about the devistation of the family and friends left behind.

Oooooh, that sounds hard hearted. Sorry...but my "Maxine" has kicked in this afternoon.

Lili said:
Like a bug on a windshield.

The poor soul must have been desperate. God bless him. Sometimes, I have to admit, I can admire someone who has the guts to actually do it. Not just a half hearted attempt, cry for help. But they never think about the devistation of the family and friends left behind.
Does everyone remember the saying that Westinghouse used in their commercials: "You can be sure if it's Westinghouse." It has been said many times that that saying came from suicides who jumped from the Westinghouse Bridge, just outside of Pittsburgh. When you looked down from that very high bridge, to the creek that flowed very far below, you knew that if you jumped there was only going to be one outcome. Like they said, "You can be sure if it's Westinghouse."

Buzz, you must be from hereabouts to know of that "urban legend"!

My late father worked in the steel mill that is located right next to the area directly under the bridge (USS Edgar Thomson Works). He said they had a "ghoul pool" within the mill, where workers would bet by picking a day of the year. If someone jumped off the bridge on the date you picked, you won the pot!

I have not heard of anyone jumping off that bridge lately, though. Perhaps the newer downtown bridges over the rivers are more popular now?

Masterj said:
Oh my goodness. I was wondering what all the sirens were for but just figured it is NY and the sirens are nonstop.

I wonder what drove him to such despair. I feel sorry for anyone who may have witnessed this.

Probably some girl or a bad grade in college or something like that......nothing, which is the answer. Nothing is worth that.

I would assume he was depressed about something.

The thing about depression, which follows many life events, is that it robs one of perspective. They can't say "I'll find another job, girl, etc.". Abraham Lincoln once said he would have much preferred never being born after battling depression for much of his life.

Cal

That is so sad.........when suicide occurs it leaves the families desperately searching for answers, if only this or if only that.......

Buzzm1 said:
I am wondering why, and how, he came to choose the Empire State Building.

It will be interesting to find out about his background.
1. Now that the WTC is no more, it's once again the tallest building in the city.
2. King Kong
3. An Affair to Remember

AlwaysShocked said:
Buzz, you must be from hereabouts to know of that "urban legend"!

My late father worked in the steel mill that is located right next to the area directly under the bridge (USS Edgar Thomson Works). He said they had a "ghoul pool" within the mill, where workers would bet by picking a day of the year. If someone jumped off the bridge on the date you picked, you won the pot!

I have not heard of anyone jumping off that bridge lately, though. Perhaps the newer downtown bridges over the rivers are more popular now?
A/S, I grew up in Clairton, just South of Pittsburgh. I can remember, as a kid, being with a group of friends, when we stopped, and walked back across the bridge, to get a better look. It was a long way down.

Now, I live not that far from the Golden Gate, infamous for the number of suicides committed from it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back