775 users online (200 members and 575 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1976
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    925
    I do want the jury to find M1 for both. I am the teeniest concerned they may not for MS.

    If they did come back M1 for DM and Not guilty for MS, I think DM's head will explode... probably get the full story via an outrageous outburst in the courtroom, my gosh I cannot imagine his reaction!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Posts
    2
    Hi all. First post. Have followed both trials from the beginning, and appreciate the posts from most members.

    Quote Originally Posted by Busymom4 View Post
    I found this to be another interesting article. http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...otic-adventure
    This was in 2015 and It looks like he really feels like he's been done wrong in all aspects of his life, his crimes and his media portrayal. Obviously he still feels this way. I find it interesting that he feels he convinced prison staff of his innocence and seems to be very concerned about what people think of him. The portion where he said that soon people will be saying good things about him again... seems very telling. He lives a double life for sure. One of what he wants people to see and think and one that he really is.
    I think this is what does my head in most in trying to understand DM. I've gone back to articles from that period, and I get stuck on his claims that (paraphrasing) "someday people will remember me fondly again".
    Surely at some point when so much evidence against you has made its way not only into the public forum but into a court of law you've gotta accept some responsibility. To do otherwise - to maintain innocence! - suggests a serious disconnect with reality.
    And yet he's clearly not insane. He's proven himself to be fairly high functioning. So I really don't see what he can hope to gain from maintaining this stance at this point in the proceedings. He's offered no plausible alternative to the facts. He still stands by how unfair this has all been on him.
    I know, I know: don't try to understand a sociopath's actions through a rational lens.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBrodie View Post
    I'm sorry Betty but I have to take exception to some o what you have said. I taught high school for 8 years, I was union rep for my school, my daughter is a teacher and I have lots friends who are teachers and retired teachers so I know somewhat of what I speak.

    Poor Pay - currently in my jurisdiction teachers with 10+ years experience earn $105k per year. That's not underpaid especially when you consider 3 months of holidays, or if one accepts your rationale that they aren't paid for summers then that's pretty rich for 9 months of work.

    Zero bonuses - teachers receive the best bonuses possible in the form of appreciation from their students and knowing that they are changing lives. I have on a few occasions had former students recognize me in stores 25 years after I taught them come up to me and tell me what an impact I had on their lives and I can't for the life of me remember who they are. That is bonus that I never get in my current line of work an is worth plenty ore than a monetary bonus.

    Summers aren't paid - it may vary by jurisdiction but summers are paid for otherwise teachers would be eligible for EI benefits during the summer as they would be unemployed.

    Subpar Benefits - when I taught the benefits were top notch and equal to or better than most corporate plans.

    Teachers work half the summer - not any of the ones that I ever taught with.

    You left out the gold plated, fully indexed pension that teachers receive and the fact that they never have to worry about layoffs or downturns in the economy.

    Don't get me wrong, I know teachers do a fantastic an vital job under ever more difficult circumstances, but I just don't buy the claims that teachers are hard done by.
    Completley agree DeaconBrodie.....I have many teacher friends and my SO is a teacher.....he gets paid over 100k a year (and has 2 full months off during the summer....couple weeks at xmas and spring break) and has full benefits and a full pension.....he absolutely puts in a few hours over the summer but not anything like what is being described......They do great work but are generally well-compensated (at least where we live......)

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Ramnit View Post
    It is taking longer than I had expected too. I have confidence that the Jury is just making sure that they have it 100% right and that there won't be room for an appeal.
    They cannot beleive that Laura is still alive.
    She would not have done this to her family I don't believe it at all. she would not be that cruel.
    That story was just made up by the accused , like the crazy story by MS about burying the gun in the forest.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by A Concerned Citizen View Post
    Hi all. First post. Have followed both trials from the beginning, and appreciate the posts from most members.



    I think this is what does my head in most in trying to understand DM. I've gone back to articles from that period, and I get stuck on his claims that (paraphrasing) "someday people will remember me fondly again".
    Surely at some point when so much evidence against you has made its way not only into the public forum but into a court of law you've gotta accept some responsibility. To do otherwise - to maintain innocence! - suggests a serious disconnect with reality.
    And yet he's clearly not insane. He's proven himself to be fairly high functioning. So I really don't see what he can hope to gain from maintaining this stance at this point in the proceedings. He's offered no plausible alternative to the facts. He still stands by how unfair this has all been on him.
    I know, I know: don't try to understand a sociopath's actions through a rational lens.
    Welcome and thanks for posting. Yep...we can't 'understand' because we aren't 'wired' the same way a Sociopatic Narcissist is!


  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey-St Off topic and I apologize to folks who feel so, but out of curiosity, [U
    why did you leave teaching DB[/U]? I also agree with your points. Teachers are vital, and all fields of work have elements of being under-appreciated, but I think teachers bode quite well these days.
    After 8 years I just felt that it had lost its challenge for me. I spent my last 4 years teaching in a school for kids that had been kicked out of every other school in the jurisdiction and I mastered that and I just wanted another challenge.

    Teaching never leaves you though and I have taught a few courses in y spare time at University over the years which I have really enjoyed.
    Last edited by Coldpizza; 12-15-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Repair broken quote

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by dar107 View Post
    I do want the jury to find M1 for both. I am the teeniest concerned they may not for MS.

    If they did come back M1 for DM and Not guilty for MS, I think DM's head will explode... probably get the full story via an outrageous outburst in the courtroom, my gosh I cannot imagine his reaction!
    HA! Wow, this is so accurate. That would certainly be something to read about!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,036
    Susan Clairmont‏ @susanclairmont

    The #Bosma verdict came in on a Friday afternoon. Perhaps today will be verdict day for the Laura #Babcock trial as well. Follow my pal @HefCHCHNews for breaking news.


    Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
    Back at 361 University for #LauraBabcock jury watch, day 4. @CHCHNews


    Court staff say the #LauraBabcock jury will be on a break from 11:30am until noon.


    Shannon Martin‏ @ShannonMartinTV
    Small group of us standing by outside courtroom 2-7 since 9 a.m. Media only at the moment @HefCHCHNews @liamdevlincasey @AustinCTV We'll post updates as we get them.

    Shannon Martin‏ @ShannonMartinTV
    First update from court at the Laura Babcock murder trial. Staff just let media know the jury is taking a break from 1130 to 1200 ET.
    #LauraBabcock

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by A Concerned Citizen View Post
    Hi all. First post. Have followed both trials from the beginning, and appreciate the posts from most members.

    I think this is what does my head in most in trying to understand DM. I've gone back to articles from that period, and I get stuck on his claims that (paraphrasing) "someday people will remember me fondly again".
    Surely at some point when so much evidence against you has made its way not only into the public forum but into a court of law you've gotta accept some responsibility. To do otherwise - to maintain innocence! - suggests a serious disconnect with reality.
    And yet he's clearly not insane. He's proven himself to be fairly high functioning. So I really don't see what he can hope to gain from maintaining this stance at this point in the proceedings. He's offered no plausible alternative to the facts. He still stands by how unfair this has all been on him.
    I know, I know: don't try to understand a sociopath's actions through a rational lens.
    Those who possess narcissism and psychopathy are usually VERY high functioning. Far from mentally ill, however! DM is completely delusional, IMO. He's probably lived his entire life getting away problematic and likely criminal behaviour without consequences, and just figured these crimes would be no different. He believes he's heaven sent, and that others in society will view him that way also. The lawyers, the judges, the jury: they've just got it all wrong.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    166
    Considering that even charge was several days, and the jury has really a lot of to consider. Hopefully they will come afternoon with M1s, and Babcocks will skip their statement to send those two for another life immediately.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by winter2017 View Post
    Does anyone think it is troubling that the jury is out for this long? What does this mean ?, god forbid they don't find DM guilty of M1.
    They are taking longer from the Bosma trial that was months long. Is this a sign that they are not going to find DM and MS guilty of M1?
    BBM

    Weren't the Bosma jurors out for five days? I recall someone saying that in an earlier thread.

    I disagree completely that it's "troubling" these jurors are taking "this long".
    Lives are at stake here, come on.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,436
    Quote Originally Posted by inbetweendoors View Post
    BBM

    Weren't the Bosma jurors out for five days? I recall someone saying that in an earlier thread.

    I disagree completely that it's "troubling" these jurors are taking "this long".
    Lives are at stake here, come on.
    They went out on a Monday at 3:00 and came back on the Friday at 4:00.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by inbetweendoors View Post
    BBM

    Weren't the Bosma jurors out for five days? I recall someone saying that in an earlier thread.
    We'd also be well-served to remember that although the majority of the 'players' are the same, this is a COMPLETELY different case than Bosma on a few levels.

    Much as it seems like comparing apples to apples ... it's really not.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by ab-initio View Post
    We'd also be well-served to remember that although the majority of the 'players' are the same, this is a COMPLETELY different case than Bosma on a few levels.

    Much as it seems like comparing apples to apples ... it's really not.
    My point was that the Bosma trial seemed to be a little more cut and dry in terms of evidence of guilt. This trial is all circumstantial, and the jurors have not had the benefit of discussing along the way, as we here have, so it's going to (rightfully) take time. In fact, I'd argue moreso than the Bosma deliberations.

    ETA: How many (MANY) pages of discussion have we had here on WS, and we're not responsible for anyone's lives.

    Eagerness for a quick verdict just comes across as bloodthirsty imo.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by inbetweendoors View Post
    My point was that the Bosma trial seemed to be a little more cut and dry in terms of evidence of guilt. This trial is all circumstantial, and the jurors have not had the benefit of discussing along the way, as we here have, so it's going to (rightfully) take time. In fact, I'd argue moreso than the Bosma deliberations.

    I understood your point, and I agree

    I was using your post to piggyback my own thoughts with; an addendum to my earlier post on the topic of the length of deliberations. I think we were both answering to a post from earlier in the thread.

Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.27.17 - Day 22
    By sillybilly in forum Timothy Bosma
    Replies: 279
    Last Post: 11-28-2017, 11:31 AM
  2. Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.21.17 - Day 19
    By sillybilly in forum Timothy Bosma
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 11-22-2017, 11:09 AM
  3. Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.14.17 - Day 15
    By sillybilly in forum Timothy Bosma
    Replies: 370
    Last Post: 11-15-2017, 11:17 AM
  4. Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.31.17 - Day 7
    By sillybilly in forum Timothy Bosma
    Replies: 253
    Last Post: 11-01-2017, 10:14 AM
  5. Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.26.17 - Day 4
    By sillybilly in forum Timothy Bosma
    Replies: 253
    Last Post: 10-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Tags for this Thread