OR OR - Lucille Grenz, 40, Toledo, 30 March 1962

Can't find any hits on ancestry. Wonder if Grenz was her married surname?

She would be over 90 years old today, so probably it's time to search for Unidentified/Jane Does. She has DNA on file, so it would be easy

Here's a photo for Lucille:

attachment.php

Attachments

• GrenzLucille.jpg
    GrenzLucille.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 87
It was on Newspapers. Here's the full article.

attachment.php

After reading this article, this is definitely a murder and we should be looking for a body. The boyfriend denied any involvement, but I wonder if they checked his alibi.

"I don't know how the blood got there" That screams foul play. If that evidence hasn't been destroyed, they should re-test that blood to see if it matches Lucille.

Exclusions:
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA

Grenz was her married name. Her marriage to Delbert Grenz in 1959 is on Ancestry and this gives her previous name as McKinney, which (nearly) matches the name (McKinsey) of one of her daughters mentioned in the articles in other posts on this thread. However she had been married 8 times and McKinney (or McKinsey) must have been her previous husbands name, so her birth name needs more work.

Last edited:
Grenz was her married name. Her marriage to Delbert Grenz in 1959 is on Ancestry and this gives her previous name as McKinney, which (nearly) matches the name (McKinsey) of one of her daughters mentioned in the articles in other posts on this thread. However she had been married 8 times and McKinney (or McKinsey) must have been her previous husbands name, so her birth name needs more work.

This is my Grandmother. She was adopted by a family with the last name of O'neal. My Grandfather was her first husband and they had 5 children. His last name was McKinney.

I struggled to figure out what it meant for someone to go missing along with her mattress and drapes. But how about this hypothetical scenario:
  • Lucille Mae Grenz went home and prepared for bed by placing her nightclothes on her mattress;
  • Then, she was attacked and the blood in the room is hers;
  • The attacker put her on the mattress, whether to rape her or for transportation of the body;
  • He wrapped her in the mattress and drapes because he didn't want anyone to see him bringing the body to his vehicle and maybe because he didn't want blood in his vehicle;
  • The mattress and drapes, thus, were for concealment and even absorption of blood;
  • Her and the items either get dumped in a secluded area or at the dump.
I think that scene requires a very flexible mattress but some are like that. It would be handy to know what kind of mattress went missing. A thin single-bed mattress, as opposed to a thick and deluxe King-sized one, makes a difference in putting this logical puzzle together.

I don't know that a killer would remove the mattress and drapes for blood spatter. It seems like a big job with no real benefit unless his own blood was at the scene. Furthermore, we have to be careful not to interject modern forensics into this crime that occurred in 1962.

It's also very annoying that seven weeks went by between her disappearance and the discovery of her disarrayed bedroom. I think that gap is likely due to the fact that she had a history of disappearing without telling anyone.

Lucille Mae Grenz – The Charley Project

• Missing Since: 03/30/1962
  • Missing From: Toledo, Oregon
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Sex: Female
  • Race: White
  • Height and Weight: 5'1 - 5'2, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description: A dress.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Red hair, blue eyes. Grenz may use the last name Vaughn.

Details of Disappearance​

Grenz was last seen in Toledo, Oregon on March 30, 1962. She lived with her sixteen-year-old daughter in the 100 block of northwest 6th Street. She has never been heard from again. A day later, her daughter became concerned by Grenz's absence and called her aunt, who lived in Salem, Oregon. It wasn't for another day or two that the police were notified, however.

Grenz had previously been married eight times and she left home before without warning. Shortly before her disappearance, she had recently quit her store clerk job. She was in the process of moving to Seattle, Washington, where her boyfriend lived. Because of these circumstances, the police initially didn't take her disappearance seriously.

On May 21, almost two months after her disappearance, her daughter and the girl's foster mother went to Grenz's home to get some clothes and noticed evidence of foul play in the bedroom. The room was in disarray, the bedclothes, mattress and drapes were missing, and there was human blood spattered on the walls, floors and ceiling.

Her boyfriend was questioned and stated he hadn't seen her and didn't know her whereabouts. Authorities noticed there were bloodstains in the trunk of his car; he said he didn't know how they got there.

Foul play is suspected in Grenz's case. She left all her clothing and belongings behind and her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Toledo Police Department 541-336-5555

Source Information​

She would be over 90 years old today, so probably it's time to search for Unidentified/Jane Does. She has DNA on file, so it would be easy
She is my grandmother she is on my family tree.

Two other articles

6 June 1962, The Capital Journal, pg 1
1684378455951.png

30 March 1963, The Capital Journal, pg 11
1684379141579.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads