Since Sandy Hook, 1,000 kids under age 12 have died from guns

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Since Sandy Hook, nearly 1,000 kids under the age of 12 have died from guns
by Polly DeFrank and Helen Kwong

Nearly 1,000 children under the age of 12 have died from guns in the U.S. in the five years since the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School. That means one child has been fatally shot in this country every 44 hours — the equivalent of every other day.

NBC News used a variety of sources, including The Gun Violence Archive, Slate.com, selected state child fatality reports, and additional news gathering to compile this data. NBC News then did extensive fact-checking and analysis of the details of each shooting to identify trends and patterns. Because our research was reliant on news accounts and publicly available information, we do not have complete information on every fatality. In particular, if a death was suspected to be a suicide or when a child was shot by a sibling or another child, police sometimes withheld specifics. For this reason, the numbers below do not reflect the details of all shootings...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sandy-hook-nearly-1-000-kids-have-died-guns-n829486

I don't even know what to say to this. According to the article, 611 children were killed by a person who intentionally pulled the trigger.

I don't even know what to say to this. According to the article, 611 children were killed by a person who intentionally pulled the trigger.

And no one is interested in this topic.

But then you do have the right to protect yourselves from toddlers with guns. Shoot the toddlers.Stand your ground against armed two or three year olds. This is ridiculous. The rest of the world does not do this.

"That means one child has been fatally shot in this country every 44 hours — the equivalent of every other day."

It will never be enough for change, will it?

Totally unacceptable. Something has to be done to end it. No excuses.

It blows my mind that this is acceptable. Who can explain why this is acceptable?

These statistics are terrible.
611 children were the intended target when the shooter pulled the trigger.
449 of the children were who the shooter intended to shoot.
42 of the children were shot by the bio-mom's boyfriend/ex-boyfriend or step father.

Drugs and mental disorders do not mix well with guns. No Government can legislate against insanity. So a person can obtain a gun and a gun license whilst completely mentally balanced and quite sane, then have a complete breakdown whilst still in possession of their guns. Outcome can often be deadly for others if not for ones own self.

Its not acceptable. At all. But I’ve yet to see a plausible scenario to fix it. How do we, the US, get rid of all the guns? I honestly don’t see how. The legal gun owners aren’t going to give away their guns when the illegal gun owners will always have them. It’s a crazy cycle and I don’t know how we can fix it.

Its not acceptable. At all. But I’ve yet to see a plausible scenario to fix it. How do we, the US, get rid of all the guns? I honestly don’t see how. The legal gun owners aren’t going to give away their guns when the illegal gun owners will always have them. It’s a crazy cycle and I don’t know how we can fix it.

How have other countries in the world managed it? They too, have criminals.It isn't criminals who shoot children, it is it resentful people who have guns to 'defend' their families and end up killing them.

How have other countries in the world managed it? They too, have criminals.It isn't criminals who shoot children, it is it resentful people who have guns to 'defend' their families and end up killing them.

Yes, how have they managed it. Such a mystery Americans are special.

IMHO, I think the problem with trying to use other countries gun policies/laws has to do with geographic size and regional variations of social norms in the U.S.

Let's take the U.K. and Australia as a couple of examples. Both countries have a relatively small geographic footprint. It's easier for LE in those countries to enforce their laws, keep track of people and it's magnitudes easier for them to track gun ownership because the proportion of gun owners is quite small in comparison to their overall population.

I think another difference between those countries and the U.S. is that people who own guns in those countries tend to own them because they live in relatively rural areas and have their guns for a reason. Now, I'm not saying American gun owners don't have a reason for their guns, many of them do, such as hunters and people who live in rural communities like their European counterparts but I think the difference lies in how they see their guns. The Europeans view their guns as a tool, a means to some end and they don't stockpile weapons, they have one or two rifles, maybe a handgun and that's it, compare that to American gun owners, a few overall have only what they need but most have small arsenals. Owning a gun isn't about having what you need, it's having as many as you want and for a sadly large number, it's abut stockpiling weapons "just to piss off libruls." Another problem is the craven corruption at the highest levels of the court system. While the UK and Australian courts have used common sense and weighed the rights of the gun owner against the security of the entire population American courts have been co-opted by groups like the NRA. A person nominated to a federal court gets a "grade" from the NRA and if the NRA says a nominee is bad for gun rights then you can count on the GOP to vote against that person.

I think a very large issue with the gun problem is that certain segments of the American population have juxtaposed their right to a gun with their over-all rights as an American citizen. They have this mindset that if you control gun ownership then that will lead to a dictatorship. Their favorite example of this is Hitler taking guns away from the Jews before Kristallnacht and the start of the pogrom to exterminate them. In their minds, gun control is one step away from Hitler coming into power. They view their gun rights like they do the right to free speech and the rest of the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights. Overall, IMHO, it's a far reaching problem, something that is akin to generational racism. These crazy ideas about gun ownership are cultural and social, like generational racism, and until we can get society, or at least a large part of it, to change how they view guns and gun ownership we'll never able to have a mature, intelligence social discussion about common sense gun control policy.

I hope this made sense, it's 4:30am here and I'm a little loopy from insomnia LOL

I am not sure how banning guns will stop the killing of others, even if they could be banned.

There are still plenty of sharp knives around - motor vehicles - hammers - that cast iron skillet I just made a batch of delicious pancakes in for Christmas morning breakfast.......not to mention online recipes for homemade bombs.

I am not sure how banning guns will stop the killing of others, even if they could be banned.

There are still plenty of sharp knives around - motor vehicles - hammers - that cast iron skillet I just made a batch of delicious pancakes in for Christmas morning breakfast.......not to mention online recipes for homemade bombs.

I don't think of it as trying to stop people from killing other people, that's been happening since the first cave man beaned a dude over the head with a rock because his cave was nicer. I think of it as controlling the number of gun related deaths.

Other countries have knives, cars, hammers and even cast iron frying pans, but do not have anything like the murder rates that the US has. It is pretty difficult to kill 68 people and injure 550 with a frying pan.

I don't think of it as trying to stop people from killing other people, that's been happening since the first cave man beaned a dude over the head with a rock because his cave was nicer. I think of it as controlling the number of gun related deaths.

Other countries have knives, cars, hammers and even cast iron frying pans, but do not have anything like the murder rates that the US has. It is pretty difficult to kill 68 people and injure 550 with a frying pan.

Perhaps not with a cast iron pan.

But you still have homemade bombs and motor vehicles.

What about that recent case in Australia with that Saeed Noori guy?

The way I see it, if someone wants to murder an individual or a bunch of people at once, that person will still find a way, even if guns are not available.

Perhaps not with a cast iron pan.

But you still have homemade bombs and motor vehicles.

What about that recent case in Australia with that Saeed Noori guy?

The way I see it, if someone wants to murder an individual or a bunch of people at once, that person will still find a way, even if guns are not available.

Yes, people injured. Of course there will always be violence in the world, but there is a better chance of coming out alive if everyone doesn't have a gun.

This topic is about children killed by guns.

It is insanity to wonder if your child will die at school or while visiting a friend or relative.

Thinking smoking woud not be allowed in stores, hospitals, and elevators seemed impossible a few years ago. Sometimes common sense prevails.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back