Is anyone else here not affected when reading/seeing news about murders?

Reaction score
I have seen my share of violence growing up and was in combat. That has probably deadened me somewhat.

Anyone else here feel the same?

I can somewhat relate. I often feel very analytical, "just the facts, m'am", when seeing/reading about murders, then I wonder what people would think if they knew how I felt. There are some cases, usually young children, that do get my back up, but that's because I'm sorta seeing my own children/grandchildren in that spot.

..I think when it's a child, senior citizen, mother, etc, people are affected more.....feel more sadness..for a criminal--nothing--in fact I feel ''safer'' when a criminal is killed---however I do realize a human has been killed
.....most of the killings/murders in my city are in the ''bad neighborhoods''/minorities ---a lot of criminal stuff.....
..we have had kids shot by ''stray'' rounds....many years ago I contacted the news people to ask them why they haven't done anything about it---''what can we do?'' they asked.....they can stop posting crap stories and post the more important
stories about the murders--murders of children...make them the top headline--instead of the lies they usually post
...I never knew these kids...they were from the ''low income/''bad hoods''---but I still knew this is an important problem

....IMO most people do not imagine/realize the horror of a murder.....they are thinking more like a 1970s TV murder, an actor being shot on TV

Quest question, @LifeoftheSearchParty!

I'm definitely affected, which is probably why I'm drawn to the search for justice in so many brutal and mysterious cases. Intellectually, studying the manner, methods and possible motivations of a suspect is fascinating and educational.

I'm a ruminator by nature, always looking for answers to questions and solutions to problems. Personal assets and liabilities can often be one and the same, so I focus on crime as a healthier outlet to my tendency to dive into rabbit holes of information.

But there are nightmares, etc. Sometimes my curiosity gets too deep, too morbid, and I have to take a break for my own mental well-being.

I'm definitely affected, which is probably why I'm drawn to the search for justice in so many brutal and mysterious cases. Intellectually, studying the manner, methods and possible motivations of a suspect is fascinating and educational.

I'm a ruminator by nature, always looking for answers to questions and solutions to problems. Personal assets and liabilities can often be one and the same, so I focus on crime as a healthier outlet to my tendency to dive into rabbit holes of information.

But there are nightmares, etc. Sometimes my curiosity gets too deep, too morbid, and I have to take a break for my own mental well-being.

I think mental well-being is why I chose the "analytical" approach. A body cannot get too involved emotionally and stay healthy themselves. IMO

I'm with you on most of this, though I try to avoid diving into the worst details. I am surprised, sometimes, at how I can analytically read an autopsy report like never before. As some LE have mentioned here before, it gets to them as well. It's much more difficult for someone doing investigations IRL, obviously. The sights, smells, etc. are something we don't experience and it's much more traumatic for anyone doing that work from day to day. I can't imagine what it must be like to walk into a crime scene where people have been murdered or to come across a deceased person while out searching or taking a walk. I don't want to, though I'm sure I could deal with it if I had to.

Same thing in dealing with victims, family and friends face to face, having to interview them, calm and comfort them. As someone who has counseled cancer patients and families for many years, I imagine it's very stressful for LE, EMS, etc. Bless them for doing it. Some who post here have said they have to take a break from it, that's not surprising at all.

Like everyone else, I participate to do what I can to help solve problems, offer comfort and support and overall, try to do what I can on a macro level to advocate for ways to decrease and prevent criminal activity. We have to go deep to find ways to fix our society, heal broken people, fix broken systems and make sure our communities have the tools they need to help us all get along more peacefully.

In all of these years (decades) I have never been desensitized when reading or hearing about any murdered victims no matter who the victims happen to be or their gender or age.

Since I turned 71 on Christmas Day (meaning I am old lol) I have read for decades about murders, and know that the peak was in the 90s when it came to the most homicides.

Homicides overall nationwide have continued to decline in the past 5 or 6 years or so but it has risen in certain areas/cities in the last couple of years and this year it seems those cities still will have much higher homicide rates than most other cities.

What has bothered me the most in recent years are the cases I constantly seem to read about now that involve mothers who murder their own children or grossly abuse and/or neglect them in so many depraved and inhumane ways. What has been the most alarming for me is having to realize that when a child is abused, grossly neglected and/or murdered 70% of the time a mom is involved as either a willing participant or willingly let her child/children be abused by someone else often resulting in the homicide of the child/children.

Those are the cases that have affected me profoundly, and makes me worry constantly for all of the children who may be crying out at night with no one there to help them get out of their hellish nightmare they may be enduring behind closed doors. :(

JMO

I basically only read about cases where I have some kind of connection.

For instance, the Shetman crime in Toronto. My godfather was from Toronto and I have been there.

I read the info dispassionately .Then I watched a video of Honey. She was so fun and alive. Then the tragedy hit me,

I never look at the bloody gross pictures. Then it simply remains words, not people

I have seen my share of violence growing up and was in combat. That has probably deadened me somewhat.

Anyone else here feel the same?

Like you, I have been desensitized to most violence. Sometimes my lack of emotion concerns me, but mostly the crimes we read about here just do not surprise me anymore. However, the case of Victoria Martens proved to me that I can still feel anguish over such horrendous crimes. I bawled my head off reading that case. I think I only recall reacting that way to cases where children are involved. While I think other crimes are horrible, they just don’t make me very emotional. I guess what I’m saying is....You’re not alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakelady2469
Back