Wife sues miner's brother, tabloid over hospital photo

vanillasky

Reaction score
:furious: :furious: :furious:

FULL STORY - http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/02/07/mccloy.lawsuit/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The wife of the lone survivor of the Sago mine tragedy has sued his brother and the National Enquirer over the publication of a hospital room photograph showing Randy McCloy on life support.

Matthew McCloy took the photograph of his comatose brother for the supermarket tabloid. He was paid $800.

<< snip >>

The National Enquirer provided Matthew McCloy with a camera, paid him $800 and asked him to take the photo, the suit charges.

The Nationol Enquirer will never learn will they? I'd be mad if someone took pix of a member of my family on life support machines, let alone sell it to the tabloids & have it on the cover for the world to see in the checkout lines:bang: .

cheko1 said:
The Nationol Enquirer will never learn will they? I'd be mad if someone took pix of a member of my family on life support machines, let alone sell it to the tabloids & have it on the cover for the world to see in the checkout lines:bang: .

I'd be upset. But I don't think I'd sue. I love my husband's family! Something tells me there was previous animosity here.

1.gif

I'm not surprised, you could smell a rat from day one. Generally families work together as team players and confer with one another when tragedy strikes, there had to have been some strange family dynamics for the brother to do what he did, IMO.

cheko1 said:

The magazine is a rag, but I think the problem here is the brother. What a jerk.

After kicking my brother's *advertiser censored*, I'd sue him and the tabloid...

I saw the picture. I would be upset with the brother too.

It's Ok to be very upset with the brother-in-law, but sue him??? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Ostracize the brother?, for sure, but to sue him, doesn't really achieve, or change, anything. Why doesn't she wait, and see how Randy feels about the situation; after all, it was his picture that appeared in the NE. It isn't about the money, so what's the point?? Do they want to make the guy out to be an azz; that has already been accomplished. To me it just dampens the whole situation. Why do something that is counter-productive???

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good for Anna! I was shocked to know it was his own brother who sold the picture.....I hope Randy makes a full recovery and kicks his azz.

Buzzm1 said:
It's Ok to be very upset with the brother-in-law, but sue him??? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Ostracize the brother?, for sure, but to sue him, doesn't really achieve, or change, anything. Why doesn't she wait, and see how Randy feels about the situation; after all, it was his picture that appeared in the NE. It isn't about the money, so what's the point?? Do they want to make the guy out to be an azz; that has already been accomplished. To me it just dampens the whole situation. Why do something that is counter-productive???

You know, I kind of agree, although what Matthew did was reprehensible. Besides...Matt probably doesn't have any money anyway.

englishleigh said:
You know, I kind of agree, although what Matthew did was reprehensible. Besides...Matt probably doesn't have any money anyway.
Exactly, it isn't about the money. You can't get blood from a turnip, and Matthew is an azz, and probably has been for a long time. Everyone who knows him, already knows that. We'll have to get Randy's opinion of his brother.

Randy will be very lucky if he regains enough health, and faculties, to begin living a half-decent life; I'm certain that is his priority and it isn't suing his brother for a picture that appeared in the NE. Why publicize the family differences. It isn't accomplishing anything. It's a ridiculous lawsuit that doesn't do anything but detract from a very, very, unfortunate situation.

Not all families are close and I wonder how close the brothers were?

Maybe not at all .. Maybe this dirt ball has screwed them in the past and in a moment of weakness Anna let the brother into the room being kind and thinking she was doing a good thing and he turns around and makes money off of his brothers tragedy??

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The wife of the lone survivor of the Sago mine tragedy has sued his brother and the National Enquirer over the publication of a hospital room photograph showing Randy McCloy on life support.

The tabloid said it acted lawfully in obtaining the photo.

"Matthew McCloy's intent in cooperating with the story was to call attention to the very serious issue of mine safety -- a view fully supported by the National Enquirer," the tabloid said in a written statement. "No one intended to do anything to harm Randal McCloy."

Amraann said:
Not all families are close and I wonder how close the brothers were?

Maybe not at all .. Maybe this dirt ball has screwed them in the past and in a moment of weakness Anna let the brother into the room being kind and thinking she was doing a good thing and he turns around and makes money off of his brothers tragedy??
My brother was in ICU for 27 days after being severely burned / he passed away. But the media tried getting into ICU to take a picture of him / the camera got busted before the man left the hospital!!!!

Some people just don't understand no means no!!!
Also many people don't want there loved ones to be in a freak show!!!!

Buzzm1 said:

My guess is that she's actually going after the NE with its deep pockets, but she can't sue them and NOT include the brother in the action. They could either settle with him early in the litigation or non-suit him later on.

cheko1 said:
My brother was in ICU for 27 days after being severely burned / he passed away. But the media tried getting into ICU to take a picture of him / the camera got busted before the man left the hospital!!!!

Some people just don't understand no means no!!!
Also many people don't want there loved ones to be in a freak show!!!!
{{{cheko1}}} I'm so sorry for your loss

Jeana (DP) said:
My guess is that she's actually going after the NE with its deep pockets, but she can't sue them and NOT include the brother in the action. They could either settle with him early in the litigation or non-suit him later on.
I was thinking the same thing, Jeana. She has to include the person who snapped the picture, but NE are the ones who she would receive restitution from.

She doesn't work, and now that Randal cannot work either, they still have to live. I read all the medical bills are being comped, but what about utilities, food, clothes, etc?

I really doubt she's doing this for the money, what was done with the camera & photo is despicable. Especially by his own brother. :furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back