'Take what you need, leave what you can!': Community cupboard

Snoopster

Reaction score
This article refers to a community cupboard set up in Calgary.
I want to set up one in my community! What a great idea!

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/take-what-you-need-leave-what-you-can-community-cupboard-pops-up-in-sunnyside-for-those-in-need

the cupboard has been stocked with everything from winter jackets to scarves, boots, toques and mittens, band-aids, shavers, toothbrushes and toothpaste, stationery and snacks.

A note on the outside of the cupboard reads, “Take what you need, leave what you can!”

This is particularly important during winter here in Canada! It's freakin' cold out right now!

Another lovely story from Calgary that I came across a few days back....

ᴄʀᴀᴄᴋᴍᴀᴄs‏
@Crackmacs

Buddy was asleep at Mcdonalds, all of his belongings all over the table. They called the cops. Cop show up and wake him up, then ask him how he's doing, how can they help, does he need anything. He says somewhere to sleep tonight, cop makes a call and arranges that for him.

I should have posted this separately and earlier, but I was rushing for Christmas.
https://twitter.com/Crackmacs/status/944072340920340480

This makes me want to cry. Hugs to the policeman who took this positive approach!!

This is particularly important during winter here in Canada! It's freakin' cold out right now!

Another lovely story from Calgary that I came across a few days back....

ᴄʀᴀᴄᴋᴍᴀᴄs‏
@Crackmacs

Buddy was asleep at Mcdonalds, all of his belongings all over the table. They called the cops. Cop show up and wake him up, then ask him how he's doing, how can they help, does he need anything. He says somewhere to sleep tonight, cop makes a call and arranges that for him.

I should have posted this separately and earlier, but I was rushing for Christmas.
https://twitter.com/Crackmacs/status/944072340920340480

This makes me want to cry. Hugs to the policeman who took this positive approach!!

It would be so important up there in the cold. We all need to care more and do more for people who lack the basic necessities.

Thanks for posting the story. It really made my day.

A barbershop here in Twin Falls, Idaho has such a cupboard mounted on the backside of their shop facing an alley. The alley gives those in need privacy to select what they can use without gazing eyes. Dignity is important. This same barbershop offers bottled water during the hot months and hot water during the cold months for soups, etc. The cupboard is filled by members of the community with any extras they may have. These cupboards are wonderful ideas.

Thank you dear Snoopster for starting this important and wonderful thread!

Thank you dear Snoopster for starting this important and wonderful thread!

I second that THANKING YOU SO MUCH Snoopster!!!

I just discovered my New Years 2018 resolution --- I am going to bring one to my local community ASAP.

:fireworks:

I second that THANKING YOU SO MUCH Snoopster!!!

I just discovered my New Years 2018 resolution --- I am going to bring one to my local community ASAP.

:fireworks:

@tarabull, are you really quoting me? Heck, you are one of the most compassionate people here on WS, so hats off to you!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back