What holes are there in the BDI theory?

apabld

Reaction score
Over the years of following the case, I have become more and more convinced that a BDI theory is the most likely. I still believe it was an accident (Burke's intent was to injure and not kill JB), but a lot of the evidence seems to point towards him, up to the Grand Jury decision.

My question is mainly for people who don't believe it was Burke: what flaws do you see in the BDI theory?

I don't see any proof that BDI. The case seems to be built on speculation and inference based on how the Ramsey's acted, but remember we've had (among police officials) Ardnt firmly believe JDI (with her statements about counting how many bullets were in her gun when she was face-to-face with him), Thomas writing an entire book saying PDI, and Lou Smit taking a look at the evidence and saying that the Ramseys weren't involved at all. Looking at the current poll, very few people believe PDI/JDI anymore. There's a natural inclination to look at family members. I don't remember hearing any serious BDI accusations when the crime first took place, it seems to only have taken hold because people have come to believe it wasn't the parents so it must be the other male known in the house, regardless of their age at the time or that the primary detectives certainly didn't suspect him at the time. And I don't believe the Ramsey household was a real-life "Murder on the Orient Express."

I'm with Douglas in that an intruder did it; the new Bill James book is also very good. I'd like to point out something else. With modern forensics, even forensics at the time but especially forensics now, it is difficult for someone who is responsible for a crime and a known suspect or POI to stay free. Not impossible but it is very difficult. You have DNA or fingerprints, it is worthless without someone to compare it to, but once the police have good reason for testing, you are done. A criminal has to get everything perfect, a cop only needs to find the one mistake. I think there is a good chance that the perp did make mistakes but the police never connected the dots because they got tunnel vision. Read about convicted people who were later found not guilty due to DNA evidence, it is all too common when there is pressure to arrest someone, anyone.

As Ressler and Douglas both pointed out in their books, the rise in stranger murders hurt the homicide clearance rate. IMHO the longer a case is cold, the more likely it is that it was a stranger, or at least someone not firmly on police radar.

I think the actual murderer may be involved in pushing the BDI theory (not necessarily here but on Reddit and other forums), both to keep suspicion off themselves and for continued revenge against the Ramsey's.

I don't see any proof that BDI. The case seems to be built on speculation and inference based on how the Ramsey's acted, but remember we've had (among police officials) Ardnt firmly believe JDI (with her statements about counting how many bullets were in her gun when she was face-to-face with him), Thomas writing an entire book saying PDI, and Lou Smit taking a look at the evidence and saying that the Ramseys weren't involved at all. Looking at the current poll, very few people believe PDI/JDI anymore. There's a natural inclination to look at family members. I don't remember hearing any serious BDI accusations when the crime first took place, it seems to only have taken hold because people have come to believe it wasn't the parents so it must be the other male known in the house, regardless of their age at the time or that the primary detectives certainly didn't suspect him at the time. And I don't believe the Ramsey household was a real-life "Murder on the Orient Express."

I'm with Douglas in that an intruder did it; the new Bill James book is also very good. I'd like to point out something else. With modern forensics, even forensics at the time but especially forensics now, it is difficult for someone who is responsible for a crime and a known suspect or POI to stay free. Not impossible but it is very difficult. You have DNA or fingerprints, it is worthless without someone to compare it to, but once the police have good reason for testing, you are done. A criminal has to get everything perfect, a cop only needs to find the one mistake. I think there is a good chance that the perp did make mistakes but the police never connected the dots because they got tunnel vision. Read about convicted people who were later found not guilty due to DNA evidence, it is all too common when there is pressure to arrest someone, anyone.

As Ressler and Douglas both pointed out in their books, the rise in stranger murders hurt the homicide clearance rate. IMHO the longer a case is cold, the more likely it is that it was a stranger, or at least someone not firmly on police radar.

I think the actual murderer may be involved in pushing the BDI theory (not necessarily here but on Reddit and other forums), both to keep suspicion off themselves and for continued revenge against the Ramsey's.

PaulR,

You wont see any proof for JDI or PDI either, so what gives?

A quick overview of the three main theories, e.g. BDI, JDI, and PDI, assuming all the others are statistical outliers, worthy of consideration but not main runners, suggests PDI and JDI or any combination thereof have large holes in them, whereas BDI is the most consistent of all the theories and explains most of the forensic evience, i.e. currently its the best theory out there.

I don't remember hearing any serious BDI accusations when the crime first took place, it seems to only have taken hold because people have come to believe it wasn't the parents so it must be the other male known in the house, regardless of their age at the time or that the primary detectives certainly didn't suspect him at the time.
This is because the media played it that way. Also if the case is BDI the authorities will minimize BR's role, and enlarge others particulary any intruder.

I'm with Douglas in that an intruder did it
DNA analysis shows six different signatures present in the wine-cellar underwear sample, so thats like 6 intruders !

Prime suspect has to be James Kolar.

You should not believe everything you read, even criminologists like the world to look the way they think it should, e.g. quants in financial services, counter example : 2008 crash. Douglas of all people should know cases can remain cold for political reasons, e.g. JonBenet case.

THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER
April 3, 2001

RAMSEYS CHANGE THEIR STORY ABOUT MURDER NIGHT

By David Wright & Don Gentile

"John and Patsy Ramsey have changed the story they told cops about their daughter JonBenet's murder -- they now admit their son Burke was awake during that Christmas 1996 nightmare!

In an exclusive ENQUIRER interview, the nation's most infamous murder suspects say Burke was jolted awake by screams in their Boulder, Colo. home.

"Burke knew something horrible had happened. He heard us screaming. He heard Patsy ...a woman in terror," John confessed. "We thought he was asleep but he wasn't. Burke was awake.

"Burke was frightened. He had tears in his eyes. He knew something very, very wrong was going on."

Until being questioned by The ENQUIRER, the Ramseys had always insisted that Burke was still sleeping when police arrived at their home after Patsy's 911 call.

But now John has admitted to The ENQUIRER that Burke woke up before the 911 call was placed at 5:52 a.m. to summon police.
Why would they change their story, what is the percentage in that? Also How did they know he had tears in his eyes, this must mean he was present at the 911 call as alleged per his voice on the call, noted by Kimberly Archuleta, the original 911 operator from the morning of December 26, 1996. In an emotional interview on NBC, Archuleta admitted, That has been the hardest call I ever took. She continued, I think that’s because there was something inside me that said, 'Something’s not right.' She continued to reveal that, even though Patsy attempted to end the call, the line was still going and she could hear another voice. The former 911 operator continued, The third voice was a male voice. … I knew there was a third distinct voice.

In days gone by, without the internet etc, people would have got on with their life chalked JonBenet's death down to an intruder and been none the wiser.

This is where sites like websleuths have made a difference, i.e. more people realize the JonBenet case is likely to be BDI !

PaulR,

You wont see any proof for JDI or PDI either, so what gives?

Why would any proof that (say) PDI it be relevant at all if BDI? Or JDI? Besides this thread is about "what holes are there in the BDI theory" not about the others. I do find it relevant that of the three most well-known officers who investigated the case, none of them thought BDI.

A quick overview of the three main theories, e.g. BDI, JDI, and PDI, assuming all the others are statistical outliers, worthy of consideration but not main runners, suggests PDI and JDI or any combination thereof have large holes in them, whereas BDI is the most consistent of all the theories and explains most of the forensic evience, i.e. currently its the best theory out there.

Actually IDI is very consistent as well.

This is because the media played it that way. Also if the case is BDI the authorities will minimize BR's role, and enlarge others particulary any intruder.

It does not help your case when you are implying that the media and the authorities are working together in a conspiracy to cover up a murder.

DNA analysis shows six different signatures present in the wine-cellar underwear sample, so thats like 6 intruders !

There are three. One of them was JBR. If you are shocked that her DNA was located in her underwear, I am not sure what to say. The second was consistent with the earlier DNA sample found.

If you are claiming BDI then why wasn't any of his DNA found? We have familial matches in DNA now, they could easily tell "related to JBR but not her."

Prime suspect has to be James Kolar.

Prime suspect for...? Spending time on the Internet pushing BDI? No, I doubt that, he has a job that keeps him busy.

You should not believe everything you read, even criminologists like the world to look the way they think it should, e.g. quants in financial services, counter example : 2008 crash. Douglas of all people should know cases can remain cold for political reasons, e.g. JonBenet case.

Again with the conspiracies, the only reason a case remains cold is for political reasons. Do you think all cold cases are like this? There are hundreds, thousands. All due to political reasons?

And why do you want to trust some criminologists (and Kolar isn't a criminologist, he's a cop) but not others? Kolar has the same evidence that Ardnt, Smit, Thomas, and Douglas have looked at.

Why would they change their story, what is the percentage in that? Also How did they know he had tears in his eyes, this must mean he was present at the 911 call as alleged per his voice on the call, noted by Kimberly Archuleta, the original 911 operator from the morning of December 26, 1996. In an emotional interview on NBC, Archuleta admitted, That has been the hardest call I ever took. She continued, I think that’s because there was something inside me that said, 'Something’s not right.' She continued to reveal that, even though Patsy attempted to end the call, the line was still going and she could hear another voice. The former 911 operator continued, The third voice was a male voice. … I knew there was a third distinct voice.

Ah, the hinky meter, that most reliable of human senses besides all the others. Burke being woken up by his parents frantically calling 911 and groggily walking to ask what was going on before being told to go back to his room is not proof that BDI.

Remember Arndt's senses told her that she might need to use all the bullets in her gun to shoot John, the Whites, the pastor, and whoever else was in the house at the time (she probably would have been carrying a Glock 9mm at the time which holds about 15 rounds, so she clearly didn't need all of them just for John, and I'm assuming she had extra magazines just in case she found more people in the house that needed shooting.)

In days gone by, without the internet etc, people would have got on with their life chalked JonBenet's death down to an intruder and been none the wiser.

This is where sites like websleuths have made a difference, i.e. more people realize the JonBenet case is likely to be BDI !

Actually they would have been wiser. As it is you have successfully been helping the murderer who wanted to ruin the life of the Ramsey's. Every day you post about how BDI (or JDI or PDI or whatever) the actual killer is having a blast because things are going beyond his wildest expectations. He wanted to hurt John, but he got the whole family.

I've never been a BDI advocate. I do believe that one of the parents accidentally harmed her and caused her death. I also believe there are those alive today who know exactly what happened yet stay silent. Steve Thomas and the Ramsey housekeeper have the same idea about that night. They both had knowledge that none of us do so I tend to believe their theories.

There aren't any holes in the BDI theory if one believes that BR smacked JBR in the head with a fatal blow using a flashlight after sexually molesting her and then the parents went into overdrive to cover up the fact.

Why would any proof that (say) PDI it be relevant at all if BDI? Or JDI? Besides this thread is about "what holes are there in the BDI theory" not about the others. I do find it relevant that of the three most well-known officers who investigated the case, none of them thought BDI.

It does not help your case when you are implying that the media and the authorities are working together in a conspiracy to cover up a murder.

There are three. One of them was JBR. If you are shocked that her DNA was located in her underwear, I am not sure what to say. The second was consistent with the earlier DNA sample found.

If you are claiming BDI then why wasn't any of his DNA found? We have familial matches in DNA now, they could easily tell "related to JBR but not her."

Prime suspect for...? Spending time on the Internet pushing BDI? No, I doubt that, he has a job that keeps him busy.

Again with the conspiracies, the only reason a case remains cold is for political reasons. Do you think all cold cases are like this? There are hundreds, thousands. All due to political reasons?

And why do you want to trust some criminologists (and Kolar isn't a criminologist, he's a cop) but not others? Kolar has the same evidence that Ardnt, Smit, Thomas, and Douglas have looked at.

Ah, the hinky meter, that most reliable of human senses besides all the others. Burke being woken up by his parents frantically calling 911 and groggily walking to ask what was going on before being told to go back to his room is not proof that BDI.

Remember Arndt's senses told her that she might need to use all the bullets in her gun to shoot John, the Whites, the pastor, and whoever else was in the house at the time (she probably would have been carrying a Glock 9mm at the time which holds about 15 rounds, so she clearly didn't need all of them just for John, and I'm assuming she had extra magazines just in case she found more people in the house that needed shooting.)

Actually they would have been wiser. As it is you have successfully been helping the murderer who wanted to ruin the life of the Ramsey's. Every day you post about how BDI (or JDI or PDI or whatever) the actual killer is having a blast because things are going beyond his wildest expectations. He wanted to hurt John, but he got the whole family.

PaulR,

Patently without proof the case can be any RDI theory, but like I say both JDI and PDI and their variants have very large holes in them, whereas BDI does not, and appears to exhibit no holes, unless you wish to magic some up?

You wish. Zero intruder forensic evidence at the crime-scene, 6 separate dna profiles, no hits on CODIS, no repeat abductions ...

That's exactly whats taking place. Media do it all the time for their political masters.

How do you know none of BR's dna was at the crime-scene, do you have a source for that statement. Also BR's touch-dna was found on the pink nightgown found in the wine-cellar.

Weak reasoning. The counter example that there are cold cases left unsolved for political reasons is a riposte to your criminologists claims.

JonBenet's case has cold case status since it means all the forensic evidence currently stored in an evidentiary depository in Colorado State will not be released for public scrutiny, neato.

Some criminologists take money, alike news reporters to tell a particular story, The Donald calls it Fake News.

Not proof but its a very large hole in the Ramsey version of events. Note his parents claim he was awake before the 911 call, not because of it.

Those that promote PDI or JDI are doing the R's job, since they do not mind taking a hit, particularly PR since she is deceased, and soon to follow JR, watch out for some death bed confession that exonerates BR when JR leaves us!

PaulR,

Patently without proof the case can be any RDI theory, but like I say both JDI and PDI and their variants have very large holes in them, whereas BDI does not, and appears to exhibit no holes, unless you wish to magic some up?

A nine year old with the strength to break a skull and then strangle their sister, and whose parents (and apparently the cops and the media and the DA) all covered for him, not to mention most kids who are violent at that young an age go on to be serial killers, and Burke is a software developer. Sorry but that is a huge hole.

You wish. Zero intruder forensic evidence at the crime-scene, 6 separate dna profiles, no hits on CODIS, no repeat abductions ...

No hits on CODIS means nothing if the intruder was specifically targeting the Ramseys which is what most IDI proponents believe. And there aren't six separate DNA profiles, there are three including JBR. If you are counting JBRs DNA as being a separate individual, that is the same thing as saying rape kits routinely have DNA profiles of two individuals because they also have DNA of the victim. That may be technically accurate but it is incredibly misleading because the only reason to say that is to try to question the results of the rape kit and get the rapist off.

That's exactly whats taking place. Media do it all the time for their political masters.

Yes, yes, that is why the media routinely ignores political scandals. This was the '90s, right? The media wasn't afraid of talking about Whitewater, Lewinsky, Bob Packwood, the post office scandal that nabbed Rostenkowski, or the House banking scandal, but covered up JBR?

How do you know none of BR's dna was at the crime-scene, do you have a source for that statement. Also BR's touch-dna was found on the pink nightgown found in the wine-cellar.

If BR's DNA was found in the panties, then the police would have had sufficient cause to arrest, furthermore I doubt Steve Thomas would have been pushing PDI if he was aware of Burke's DNA being found where it wasn't supposed to be; certainly there would be agreement among the officers who investigated the case and think one of the family did it that it was Burke, which is not the case. Kolar only recently started pushing BDI, many years after the crime and when the DNA would have been already tested. And depending on your definition of crime scene, the house, yes of course his DNA was at the place where he lived, that is not surprising. It would be surprising if his DNA wasn't there.

Weak reasoning. The counter example that there are cold cases left unsolved for political reasons is a riposte to your criminologists claims.

Your statement is even weaker, that because there may be some unspecified cold cases left unsolved for political reasons, therefore they must all be. That's like saying that there have been improper uses of forensics, therefore all forensics is suspect.

JonBenet's case has cold case status since it means all the forensic evidence currently stored in an evidentiary depository in Colorado State will not be released for public scrutiny, neato.

Do you want to personally inspect her panties? Besides, I agree that the forensic evidence should be kept in a depository because that evidence would be worthless in any future criminal prosecution due to chain of custody issues.

Not proof but its a very large hole in the Ramsey version of events. Note his parents claim he was awake before the 911 call, not because of it.

Those that promote PDI or JDI are doing the R's job, since they do not mind taking a hit, particularly PR since she is deceased, and soon to follow JR, watch out for some death bed confession that exonerates BR when JR leaves us!

It's proof of nothing. It's like the obsession with the pineapple, whether PR forgot that she gave JBR pineapple isn't actually relevant to the case. The only reason this sticks out to you is because of the media focus on this case; I don't know of a criminal case that doesn't have some very minor inconsistency with two people remembering things a little differently.

And the deathbed confession, yes I heard the same claims when PR passed away, now it's JR, then it will be BR. Meanwhile someone got away with murder.

PaulR,
It's proof of nothing. It's like the obsession with the pineapple, whether PR forgot that she gave JBR pineapple isn't actually relevant to the case. The only reason this sticks out to you is because of the media focus on this case; I don't know of a criminal case that doesn't have some very minor inconsistency with two people remembering things a little differently.
So you are telepathic across large distances, how impressive. It sticks out for me as its a counter example to those that think the Ramseys are telling the truth, i.e. BR slept all night in his room.

Rhetoric and logic are two different things, you appear to have a grasp on the former and lack the latter. This constrains communication !

too many to count.
there is zero solid factual or circumstantial evidence on burke directly connected to jbr .
pure and simple.

too many to count.
there is zero solid factual or circumstantial evidence on burke directly connected to jbr .
pure and simple.

Lewis Carroll could have wrote that.

You personally have not been told about any factual or circumstantial forensic evidence linking BR to the crime-scene. Have you read the DNA deposit report regarding JonBenet's body?

Lewis Carroll could have wrote that.

You personally have not been told about any factual or circumstantial forensic evidence linking BR to the crime-scene. Have you read the DNA deposit report regarding JonBenet's body?

and neither have you

which is the point. zero zip nil you have to back up your theory on.

I don't have to justify why burke isn't in the crimescene.......you do

and neither have you

which is the point. zero zip nil you have to back up your theory on.

I don't have to justify why burke isn't in the crimescene.......you do

k-mac,
I'm not making the claim there is zero evidence linking BR to JonBenet, you are. So dont try and play games, step up to the plate and tell everyone that you really do not know one way or the other.

Meaning your zero evidence claim is meaningless and represents mere opinion !

k-mac,
I'm not making the claim there is zero evidence linking BR to JonBenet, you are. So dont try and play games, step up to the plate and tell everyone that you really do not know one way or the other.

Meaning your zero evidence claim is meaningless and represents mere opinion !

tunnel vision clearly affects comprehension for some.
I'm not trying to remove burke from the crime scene your trying to add him.
I don't have to step up to anything...you do :)

tunnel vision clearly affects comprehension for some.
I'm not trying to remove burke from the crime scene your trying to add him.
I don't have to step up to anything...you do :)

k-mac,
This is your claim, not mine.

Yet you have not read the BPD DNA report wrt JonBenet, so your claim is vacuous.

John Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the inside of the long-johns.

John Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the outside of the long-johns.

John Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the size-12 underwear.

John Ramsey's touch-dna might be on JonBenet's body.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the inside of the long-johns.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the outside of the long-johns.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the size-12 underwear.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on JonBenet's body.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the ligature

Burke Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the inside of the long-johns.

Burke Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the outside of the long-johns.

Burke Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the size-12 underwear.

Burke Ramsey's touch-dna might be on JonBenet's body.

BDP say they tested all above areas except the ligature, so how come you know that Burke Ramsey's touch-dna was not found on JonBenet's body?

Enlighten everyone tell the members your source for your zero statement?

k-mac,

This is your claim, not mine.

Yet you have not read the BPD DNA report wrt JonBenet, so your claim is vacuous.

John Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the inside of the long-johns.

John Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the outside of the long-johns.

John Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the size-12 underwear.

John Ramsey's touch-dna might be on JonBenet's body.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the inside of the long-johns.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the outside of the long-johns.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the size-12 underwear.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on JonBenet's body.

Patsy Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the ligature

Burke Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the inside of the long-johns.

Burke Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the outside of the long-johns.

Burke Ramsey's touch-dna might be on the size-12 underwear.

Burke Ramsey's touch-dna might be on JonBenet's body.

BDP say they tested all above areas except the ligature, so how come you know that Burke Ramsey's touch-dna was not found on JonBenet's body?

Enlighten everyone tell the members your source for your zero statement?

might be??? 13 times stated.
not anywhere in this statement is yes or no.
touch dna among family members is relatively useless to finding a conviction. a stranger sure could likely be relevant.
would be odd if there was no touch dna from her immediate family that she lives with.
I don't have to source anything. and you know it.
your stand over tactics are getting old uk.
for the third time I'm not removing burke from the crimescene you are adding him with no proof simply conjecture and assumptions.
thankfully the law doesn't prosecute under uk guys law.
might be???? doesn't that equate to might be not????

and that again is the point.

might be??? 13 times stated.
not anywhere in this statement is yes or no.
touch dna among family members is relatively useless to finding a conviction. a stranger sure could likely be relevant.
would be odd if there was no touch dna from her immediate family that she lives with.
I don't have to source anything. and you know it.
your stand over tactics are getting old uk.
for the third time I'm not removing burke from the crimescene you are adding him with no proof simply conjecture and assumptions.
thankfully the law doesn't prosecute under uk guys law.
might be???? doesn't that equate to might be not????

and that again is the point.

k-mac,
I'm not making the claim that Burke Ramsey's touch-dna was found on JonBenet. Its you that's making the claim that there is none, unwisely, you go further and claim zero forensic evidence was found.

All your rhetoric and grandstanding cannot remove a glaring contradiction. Ad hominem remarks about me and any theories I support are independent of your claim about zero evidence.

If you don't cite a source then what you are saying is mere opinion !

Can anyone who supports the IDI theory offer a solid explanation for the ransom note/letter?

My biggest issue with BDI is how they would keep him quiet and compliant, but I have to agree that after all this time, it is the theory that offers the best explanation to fit the evidence that has been made public.

Can anyone who supports the IDI theory offer a solid explanation for the ransom note/letter?

My biggest issue with BDI is how they would keep him quiet and compliant, but I have to agree that after all this time, it is the theory that offers the best explanation to fit the evidence that has been made public.

Two theories:
- This went down like the Lindbergh Baby kidnapping. The ransom note was the original plan.
- The intruder always meant to kill JBR. The note was to keep the police and family busy, since a search of the house would have been looking for entry points, forensics of her room, etc. The police weren't looking for her body and didn't find it, and every minute that the body wasn't found was a positive for the killer.

If you mean why the note was written at their house, etc. - I think the intruder had already broken into the house earlier and was there when the family came home. I don't think this is unusual (Dennis Rader/BTK did this), and it certainly makes sense that an intruder would want to break into the house beforehand if they thought they could do so undetected since it gives them plenty of time to scope out the house. They also used this time to write the note - someone even remotely aware of forensics at the time would know about the police being able to track things like the type of paper, and being able to use a paper and pen already in the home would have prevented the police from being able to trace that. Every house has a pen and paper, there's not much reason to bring it, especially when there's always the slim chance you might forget to take the pen/pad of paper with you when you left which would have given the police even more evidence. I don't think this is the sign of a brilliant criminal mind, just someone who put a bit of thought into leaving as little evidence as possible, similar to rapists who make their victims take a shower, wash their sheets, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back