GUILTY Canada - Chloe, 6, & Aubrey Berry, 4, found dead, Oak Bay, BC, 25 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

katydid23

Reaction score
Young sisters found dead in B.C. on Christmas Day remembered as ‘full of energy’

A family member and a friend have identified the girls as Aubrey Berry, 4, and her sister Chloe Berry, 6. Police have said officers were called to a home in Oak Bay, B.C. on Monday evening where the bodies of two children were discovered.

Lees said Cotton called police on Christmas Day after their father didn’t return the girls as scheduled.

Police have said an injured man, whose condition has not been disclosed, was found inside the home and taken to hospital.

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit said on Wednesday that the man remains in hospital and is not in police custody.

The specialized team said earlier that it was called in to assist the Oak Bay Police Department with a double homicide.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ristmas-day-remembered-as-full-of-energy.html

How sad, these poor little girls were just beginning their lives.

The only two murder victims that I have ever known (both women killed by husbands) made feeble actions to make it look like they had tried to kill themselves after murdering their wives by inflicting non life threatening injuries to themselves. Cowards.

B.C. children's watchdog mulls investigation after deaths of Oak Bay girls

The girls' mother had concerns about their father's parenting abilities, court documents say.
In a decision released in May, a Supreme Court of British Columbia judge said Berry displayed poor judgment in dealing with his children, including allegations of inappropriate touching involving one of the girls that led to an investigation by the province's child welfare agency.
In court, Berry testified he tickled one of the girls but not inappropriately.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/...ation-after-deaths-of-oak-bay-girls-1.3739536

Too early to tell if child protection services failed murdered sisters, says B.C.'s children's representative
B.C. representative for children will consider whether lack of social services contributed to deaths

RCMP continue to investigate the deaths of two young sisters on Vancouver Island whose bodies were found in an Oak Bay apartment on Christmas Day.

Police say they're treating the deaths of six-year-old Chloe Berry and four-year-old Aubrey Berry as homicide, but no charges have been laid.

The only suspect in the case is an unnamed injured man who was found in the apartment and is now in hospital.

Bernard Richard, the Representative for Children and Youth for British Columbia, said it is too early to tell if child protection services failed the two girls, but his office will be looking into the matter.

If there is a link between an absence of social services and the incident, the independent advocacy office will launch an investigation, Richard told CBC guest host of The Early Edition Michelle Eliot.

Court documents from November 2016 reveal a custody battle over the girls and show that their father, Andrew Berry, had twice been investigated by the Ministry of Children and Family Development.

According to the documents, Berry had displayed several examples of poor judgment in parenting, including allegations of inappropriate touching, threatening to "blow up the house" during an argument with the girls' mother and a period of aggressive behaviour.

The girls' mother, Sarah Cotton, obtained a restraining order that kept Berry from contacting her or their daughters for a couple of months in late 2013.

Despite concerns, a parenting schedule was negotiated granting Berry access to the girls during certain times. He was given the right to have the girls for 24 hours beginning at noon on Dec. 24.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ocial-services-failed-sister-killed-1.4467840

So he had them for one day and they both died? Not a coincidence, imo...:cry: :rose: :rose:

This spring, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Victoria Gray outlined a shared parenting schedule despite her concerns about Andrew Berry's past behaviour. Those concerns included a previous restraining order and two investigations by the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD).

Berry, the judge wrote, "has displayed poor judgment in dealing with the children. That has included saying negative things to the girls about the mother, [inappropriate] touching which led to the MCFD investigation, and his present arrangement of sometimes sleeping together with one or the other of the girls."
In her detailed May 31 judgment, Gray granted Berry the right to have the girls for 24 hours beginning at noon on Christmas Eve this year.

The judge wrote that Berry is "a loving father who has much to offer his daughters," and said it was in their best interests to spend significant time with him.

"This is not a case where family violence is a significant factor for determining parenting arrangements," Gray wrote.
The court document also shows that at one point in 2015, Berry refused to return the girls to their mother until she agreed that both girls be allowed to stay overnight with him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ttle-for-sisters-in-double-homicide-1.4466049

Much more at the link. What the hell was Judge Gray thinking when she ruled that the girls would go to their father for 24 hours on Christmas Eve? With a history of allegations of Berry touching the girls inappropriately (for which officials "suggested" Berry take parenting classes - WTF?) along with him occasionally sleeping together with one of the girls and the physical abuse to the girls and their mother, Gray then determined that "This is not a case where family violence is a significant factor for determining parenting arrangements."

Here's the court document from a 5-day trial in November 2016:

http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/sc/17/09/2017BCSC0907.htm#_Toc483898268

This makes me sick....sweet girls

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

This is sickening.
I'm confused though...is the father the 'injured male'?
It seems so, but why wouldn't they say so?

This is sickening.
I'm confused though...is the father the 'injured male'?
It seems so, but why wouldn't they say so?

I've seen that wording before in cases and like you, I'm not sure why LE would decline to name the person. Maybe in cases where the person is in the hospital LE waits until their released and/or arrested for privacy reasons? I dunno. :dunno:

In any case, The Vancouver Sun did name him as Andrew Berry, the girls' father:

The bodies of Chloe, 6, and Aubrey, 4, were found by police on Christmas Day in their father’s Oak Bay apartment. Andrew Berry was taken to hospital with self-inflicted wounds.

Sarah Cotton, the girls’ mother, has been separated from their father since 2013. The two shared custody of the children.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-...o-be-held-saturday-for-chloe-and-aubrey-berry

According to the article, for some reason the girls' mother wants it known that the custody issue was resolved last November and it wasn't a bitter one. Also, she wants to emphasize that she didn't initiate the investigations that were done by the Ministry for Children and Family Development. ER doctors contacted them in January 2016 after she noticed a large soft spot on Aubrey’s head and brought her to the hospital.

So I'm not quite getting this situation - there clearly is a history of violence in the relationship but if the mom says she didn't report the abuse and feels custody was resolved then why would Andrew Berry decide to kill the girls and attempt to kill himself?

I guess we'll learn more once an arrest is made.

RIP Chloe and Aubrey. :rose:

Thousands of candles illuminated the faces of mourners in Oak Bay Saturday night, who gathered to*honor six-year-old Chloe and four-year-old Aubrey Berry.

The mayor of Oak Bay, the school principals of the girls and a reverend spoke to the crowd, remembering the girls for their smiles and joy.

First responders from Oak Bay and across Greater Victoria were also in attendance.

Ricky de Souza, the principal of St. Christopher’s Montessori School, said the loss will leave a hole in his school and that the girls made a huge impact in their short lives.

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit says they are investigating the*homicide and are not looking for any suspects.

https://www.cheknews.ca/thousands-g...n-memory-of-sisters-killed-in-oak-bay-402663/
ba57829c160541e1770ddfb9b03d8bad.jpg

]I've seen that wording before in cases and like you, I'm not sure why LE would decline to name the person.[/B] Maybe in cases where the person is in the hospital LE waits until their released and/or arrested for privacy reasons? I dunno. :dunno:

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-...o-be-held-saturday-for-chloe-and-aubrey-berry

According to the article, for some reason the girls' mother wants it known that the custody issue was resolved last November and it wasn't a bitter one. Also, she wants to emphasize that she didn't initiate the investigations that were done by the Ministry for Children and Family Development. ER doctors contacted them in January 2016 after she noticed a large soft spot on Aubrey’s head and brought her to the hospital.

So I'm not quite getting this situation - there clearly is a history of violence in the relationship but if the mom says she didn't report the abuse and feels custody was resolved then why would Andrew Berry decide to kill the girls and attempt to kill himself?

I guess we'll learn more once an arrest is made.

I am in Australia and our police do that too. They don't name anyone until they have been charged. They only ever give the name if the person has fled and even then they don't say 'wanted for murder or suspected of murder' they will say something like, 'wanted for questioning about the deaths of two children'. It must be a legal thing.

Jan 4th:

An Oak Bay father charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of his two young daughters on Christmas Day appeared in Victoria provincial court Thursday under heavy sheriff presence.

Andrew Berry, 43, a thin man of medium height with thick dark hair and blue eyes, looked around at a courtroom filled with reporters during his first court appearance. He appeared tired. *advertiser censored*hand was bandaged but no other injuries were visible.

During the brief court appearance, Crown prosecutor Jeni Gillings asked for Berry to be detained in custody. She also asked Judge Ron Webb to order Berry to have no contact with Sarah Cotton, his former partner and mother of the two girls. Those two orders were granted.

Berry was represented during his court appearance by in-custody duty counsel Jamie Dunlap. He asked for the case to be adjourned until Feb. 1 to give Berry time to contact and hire a lawyer.

Detectives from the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit are investigating the deaths.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...appears-in-court-under-heavy-guard-1.23136544

The Fathers Right movement in Canada are going to blame this on the Mother for a bitter custody battle, with false allegations. She probably wanted to clarify. Its horrific enough for her to lose her children, let alone having her Family Law files public.

Were the allegations of "inappropriate touching" not initiated by the mother?
Strange that wasn't addressed when the mother's lawyer made a point of saying someone else reported his power being cutoff.

Divorce and custody cases can get pretty ugly.
Sounds like he was lost...no job...no apartment...no friends...
Kids shouldn't have been allowed near him w/o supervision.

Were the allegations of "inappropriate touching" not initiated by the mother?
Strange that wasn't addressed when the mother's lawyer made a point of saying someone else reported his power being cutoff.

Divorce and custody cases can get pretty ugly.
Sounds like he was lost...no job...no apartment...no friends...
Kids shouldn't have been allowed near him w/o supervision.

I am guessing that the Mom must of reported the inappropriate touching. The problem with Family Law is there is so much mud slinging that goes along with such an adversarial system, its hard for a Judge to read through the truth. I doubt the Judge knew he had no power as the case settle before that happened, but Child Protective Services should have looked into it. If he was hell bent on taking his childrens lives I dont think a court order would have stopped him, but thats my own opinion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back