1st Grader Suspended For Sexual Harassment

jennirey

Reaction score
"Boy Accused Of Putting Fingers In Girl's Waistband

It's a case of sexual harassment -- involving first-graders.

A boy at Downey Elementary in Brockton, Mass., was suspended from school for three days last month after school officials said that he sexually harassed a girl in his class.

Elementary school officials called the boy's mother, Berthena Dorinvil, on Jan. 30, and asked her to pick up her child from the school. Dorinvil said that officials told her that her son was being suspended for sexually harassing a 6-year-old female classmate."

http://www.nbc5i.com/education/6836257/detail.html

Have these educators fallen on thier heads, What an outrage this has got be frustrating for this parent. I can see calling home, but not suspension. OMG

The sad thing about this is the kid probably had no idea what he did was wrong and all they did was call attention to it rather than discussing privately with his parent.

My sister-in-law went through something similar a few years back when my nephew was about that age. He told a girl in his class she was "foxy" and my SIL got a phone call. They made a HUGE deal about it with her and all she could do was laugh. She had no idea where her son had every heard that word, but the school didn't think that word was appropriate. :rolleyes:

I don't know. I wonder what the boy's past school disciplines have been. Maybe it's not as innocent as it sounds. I know we think that a 6 year old is not capable of sexual harrassment, but children not much older than him have killed and raped before, so maybe there is a problem.

The article says he put his fingers in her waistband and touched her back. That sounds like it could be innocent, but it could be bad, too. Was he pulling at her pants, trying to pull them down? Does "back" mean close to or on the buttocks? Was the girl telling him to stop? Has he had a problem with touching girls in the past? Just because he's six, doesn't mean he is innocent. Unfortunately, today kids are exposed to so much violence and sex through the media at such a young age (and parents allow their children to be exposed), they seem more wordly than most of us were at the same age.

He may not understand "sexual harrassment," but he should know "good touch/bad touch."

Jules said:
The sad thing about this is the kid probably had no idea what he did was wrong and all they did was call attention to it rather than discussing privately with his parent.

My sister-in-law went through something similar a few years back when my nephew was about that age. He told a girl in his class she was "foxy" and my SIL got a phone call. They made a HUGE deal about it with her and all she could do was laugh. She had no idea where her son had every heard that word, but the school didn't think that word was appropriate. :rolleyes:
oh good Lord--- I hate to think what could come out of my kids mouths!!:eek:
we have very good kids, but we are not prudes, and have raised our kids without shutting everything out.... ( foxy....come on!! )

Mr. E said:
I don't know. I wonder what the boy's past school disciplines have been. Maybe it's not as innocent as it sounds. I know we think that a 6 year old is not capable of sexual harrassment, but children not much older than him have killed and raped before, so maybe there is a problem.

The article says he put his fingers in her waistband and touched her back. That sounds like it could be innocent, but it could be bad, too. Was he pulling at her pants, trying to pull them down? Does "back" mean close to or on the buttocks? Was the girl telling him to stop? Has he had a problem with touching girls in the past? Just because he's six, doesn't mean he is innocent. Unfortunately, today kids are exposed to so much violence and sex through the media at such a young age (and parents allow their children to be exposed), they seem more wordly than most of us were at the same age.

He may not understand "sexual harrassment," but he should know "good touch/bad touch."
I agree we dont know down to the exact detail -- and I most certainly agree there is a difference between good touch/ bad touch--- and kids are exposed more to things thru the media-- that is where I feel the thin line is-- how much do we let them see, or dont let them see so they will understand in todays society what is or isnt acceptable?

Mr. E said:

Maybe he was trying to give her a wedgie? :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec:

Mr. E said:

Back when I was in elementary school girls had to wear dresses, that was the dress code, but we all knew to wear shorts under our dresses because boys would yank up our skirts.

Mr. E said:

My first reaction was oh Good grief, but my husband told me to back peddle a bit. Probably lots of information not released. Could be a tempest in a teapot or could be a more serious issue. Using another scenario, if a 6 year old was physically threatening my child, I would want some action taken.

I had a kid in my class pull out his "stuff" and tell a little girl to suck it. Yes, in first grade! I know there are many cases where a child should be suspended. We don't know all the circumstances, and they might not feel it is necessary to print them in light of the boy's age. I wouldn't get upset with the district yet. I am SURE there is more to this story than meets the eye.:twocents:

I think a lot of this has to deal with the fact that the school has to cover their behinds because there are so many sue happy people in this world. So they have to make a big thing out of it and show they took corrective measures to cover themselves. It may not be what's best for the child but it's something school and businesses and so many other people are forced to do for protection. It's very sad!

deandaniellws said:
I had a kid in my class pull out his "stuff" and tell a little girl to suck it. Yes, in first grade! I know there are many cases where a child should be suspended. We don't know all the circumstances, and they might not feel it is necessary to print them in light of the boy's age. I wouldn't get upset with the district yet. I am SURE there is more to this story than meets the eye.:twocents:

I'm shocked. I think that's one little boy who wouldn't be whipping out his weenie in front me again. :eek:

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm shocked. I think that's one little boy who wouldn't be whipping out his weenie in front me again. :eek:
I thought I would faint! :eek: The little girl about died also.:mad: They were in centers, and the little boy was in the reading loft when he did this! I was standing no more than 8-10 feet from him. He knew it was wrong because when I gasped...trying to suck air so I wouldn't pass out...he crammed the little thing back inside his jeans. We sent him to the alternative school for the rest of the semester.....which is usually reserved for the worst of the worst in high school. My principal was worried about a sexual suit for the rest of the year. I didn't blame her either.

BROCKTON, Mass. — A first grader was suspended for three days after school officials said he sexually harassed a girl in his class by allegedly putting two fingers inside the girl's waistband while she sat on the floor in front of him.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184261,00.html

What in the world? This is just absolutely ridiculous :doh:

My son was suspended for a week when he was in 5th grade for sexual harrassment along with several other boys. They had just discovered the age old process of pulling the back of a bra and snapping a girls back. He is 28 now and I saw him snap his wifes bra strap over Christmas and threatened to call 911.

KatherineQ said:
Back when I was in elementary school girls had to wear dresses, that was the dress code, but we all knew to wear shorts under our dresses because boys would yank up our skirts.
I'd call that sexual harrassment.

Hoppy

inquiringmindz said:
BROCKTON, Mass. — A first grader was suspended for three days after school officials said he sexually harassed a girl in his class by allegedly putting two fingers inside the girl's waistband while she sat on the floor in front of him.

No, it's not. Kids need to learn from day one what behavior is appropriate and what is not. Putting hands inside another student's clothes is not acceptable. Better for him to learn that now rather than later.

Hoppy

inquiringmindz said:

I am betting the waistband was ELASTIC for a first grader, boy probably wanted to snap it. Which imop is worse than any sexual connotation. Clothes are expensive.

Our world has become nuts, imop.

Well I posted then read the article. Boy said he touched the girl AFTER she touched him. Hmmm. Hasty stuff imop that they took the measures that they did.

When I was in kindergarten, our little group was sitting on the floor in a circle and teacher was reading to us. A little girl across the circle stuck her tongue out at me, I in turn returned the favor. She was not seen but I was, and the little girl who stuck her tongue out first, blabbed that I had stuck MY tongue out at her.

Well teacher took the other little girls story as fact, and belittled me in front of the group, adding "She is not nice", "WE" will not look at her.

Article said an investigation had been done! Like yeah, real sleuths in that school, dumb dumb dumb.

deandaniellws said:
There were some kids who lived across the street from my babysitter who used to make sexual motions to my girls when they were playing in the yard. When the kids told me about it and the baby sitter had decided to not let any of the kids play out front while those boys were outside, I still was not satisfied. See , I work for Child Protective services and I went over there and threatend the grandmother that if she did not correct that action, that I would be notifying the authorities by the next morning. I never saw those boys outside after that, and I DID notify the authorities anyway. I'm not sure what the investigation ever yielded, but I guess it woke her up.

hoppyfrog said:
No, it's not. Kids need to learn from day one what behavior is appropriate and what is not. Putting hands inside another student's clothes is not acceptable. Better for him to learn that now rather than later.

Hoppy
I can see repremanding a child, missing recess or a note home to mom, but suspention???

I have 3 kids (11,6,5) and they know what is and isn't acceptable behavior. Whether they use their knowledge or not is a different story...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back