Found Safe WA - Austin Timpe, 18, Mount Vernon, 2 Jan 2018

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Austin Timpe, 18, originally from Vancouver Washington, boarded a bus from Mount Vernon to Everett after being released from Skagit Valley Hospital, but has not been seen since.

Timpe is 5 foot 9 inches, about 185 pounds, with blonde hair and blue eyes. A Timpe is "diagnosed as schizophrenic, probably somewhat disoriented and desperate."

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20MISSING_1515294966309.png_10411614_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

http://www.kiro7.com/news/north-sou...help-in-finding-missing-18-year-old/678307224

Vancouver mom pleads for help finding mentally ill teen son
January 5, 2018

Snipped...
,,,Tuesday, Jan. 2, O’Connor said a notification popped up on her iPhone, indicating her son’s Apple account had logged into Wi-Fi outside the facility.

Staff at Skagit Regional Health, which operates the Skagit Valley Hospital Mental Health Center, wouldn’t confirm any details about Austin Timpe’s medical history, citing HIPAA laws.

But O’Connor believes doctors discharged her son.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/vanco...-help-finding-mentally-ill-teen-son/505267318

[video at link]

Where are you Austin?!??!?

:candle:

Bumping, I did some reading and this young man is very vulnerable.

He was just released from being involuntarily committed for schizophrenia to leave the hospital, far away from home, with his family or caseworkers not notified. The only reason the mom knows is the phone pinged once. He is only 18 years old, and articles state he believes nobody can hurt him because all people are good and he's a God that can't be harmed.

I don't know the geography of Oregon, but there have been sightings of him. It's obvious from the FB page his family loves and misses him.

Austin, if you see this, call home. Your parents love you and miss you. If you can't remember their number, call 911 and tell them you are a missing person. It's free on a payphone or you can ask someone to borrow their phone.

Something doesn't quite add up for me. I'm not sure how many mental hospitals there are, Austin's mother claims that there were no beds in the area so Austin was sent to Mt. Vernon.

Vancouver WA is right over the river from Portland, Oregon. Seattle is about three hours north, Mt. Vernon is another hour north of Seattle. So he was four hours away from where he lived, where his mother lives, and where by accounts he was trying to get back to.

This would mean no beds were available closer, which means the greater Portland area, Salem OR, Eugene OR, Olympia WA, and the greater Seattle-Tacoma area. That should be a lot of beds.

Something doesn't quite add up for me. I'm not sure how many mental hospitals there are, Austin's mother claims that there were no beds in the area so Austin was sent to Mt. Vernon.

Vancouver WA is right over the river from Portland, Oregon. Seattle is about three hours north, Mt. Vernon is another hour north of Seattle. So he was four hours away from where he lived, where his mother lives, and where by accounts he was trying to get back to.

This would mean no beds were available closer, which means the greater Portland area, Salem OR, Eugene OR, Olympia WA, and the greater Seattle-Tacoma area. That should be a lot of beds.

There is basically a shortage of psychiatric beds everywhere in the US. And since he was involuntary, he needed to be on a locked unit which may be harder to find.

There is basically a shortage of psychiatric beds everywhere in the US. And since he was involuntary, he needed to be on a locked unit which may be harder to find.

Would this mean that if he couldn't be admitted into the ideal setting, i.e. locked unit, that he wouldn't be admitted at all?

Why was this young man simply released? Austin should have had a discharge plan in place to facilitate a safe transition home. It does not sound like that happened which is inexcusable imo.

Yes, there is a shortage indeed. I know of someone who's child was 6 hours away- same state on the east coast, but there was nothing available in their area.

Would this mean that if he couldn't be admitted into the ideal setting, i.e. locked unit, that he wouldn't be admitted at all?

They would keep him until they could find a unit that is locked, but often times, it can be hours away from the family's residence. They can't keep someone that needs to be in a locked unit in a hospital that isn't for too long, as he would have to be constantly watched 24/7 for his own safety.

It is just so sad, what families go through with those who have schizophrenia. It is a lifelong battle for loved ones and the poor person that has schizophrenia.

Oh, welcome to the world of mental health cuts. Long story short, I worked in mental health for 16 years. When I started, I had 4 homes that served chronically mentally ill and they lived with us for 1 uear. Community housing to help them get food stamps, doctors appointments, job or day program... basically to teach them good habits for a year so they could do it on their own. Within 5 years, Louisiana cut and cut to the point we had zero mental health homes. AND almost every hospital also lost funding and closed. In order to be admitted, you almost had to be homicidal, right in front of their face. Because there were no beds. So, that's what is happening. And crime will get much worse because people who can normally function very well under meds and supervision are left to fend against mental health issues that can't be dealt with on their own. Rant over.

And he's an adult. So once they think he's no longer a threat, they are turning them out. Awful. Just because you are not an imminent threat does not mean you can be independent

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I actually went to school with this kid, and so did my sister. Sad how the mental health programs don't fulfill the needs of those who truly need help. Hopefully he turns up soon- safe and sound.

Awesome news! Now they need to sue the heck out of that hospital which released him unsupervised, without documentation, without money, without even announcing his loved ones.

Wow. Wasn’t thinking that would happen. Lucky break. So pleased for his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The saddest part of the whole hospital deal is, based on his movements (first to Everett, then spotted in Seattle, looking for information on getting to Vancouver) it sounds like the whole time he was "missing" he was just trying to find his way home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back