Two injuries, one serious, at Manhattan's Trump Tower fire - NYC Fire Department

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Two people were injured, one seriously, in an early-morning fire near the top of Trump Tower in midtown Manhattan, the New York Fire Department said on Monday.

U.S. President Donald Trump was in Washington at the time.

Although local media initially reported there were no injuries, one person sustained a serious, possibly life-threatening injury, and another had a minor injury, the Fire Department said.

Eric Trump, one of the president’s sons, said on Twitter that it was a small electrical fire in the cooling tower on the building’s roof.

“The New York Fire Department was here within minutes and did an incredible job,” said the younger Trump. “The men and women of the #FDNY are true heros and deserve our most sincere thanks and praise!”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...new-yorks-trump-tower-officials-idUSKBN1EX17A

CNN reporting 1 dead and 6 injured.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/07/us/trump-tower-fire/index.html

The person who died was a resident of the building's 50th floor who had been taken to the hospital in critical condition, department spokeswoman Angelica Conroy told CNN.

ETA...oops. Just noticed the dates of the earlier posts. Thought this was a current thread.So two fires and not that far apart.hmm.

CNN reporting 1 dead and 6 injured.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/07/us/trump-tower-fire/index.html

The person who died was a resident of the building's 50th floor who had been taken to the hospital in critical condition, department spokeswoman Angelica Conroy told CNN.

ETA...oops. Just noticed the dates of the earlier posts. Thought this was a current thread.So two fires and not that far apart.hmm.

I am sorry this poor man died and the brave firefighters were injured. Many of the residents aren’t happy they found out about this fire from the news and were not told to evacuate. I wonder what caused this fire.

I am sorry this poor man died and the brave firefighters were injured. Many of the residents aren’t happy they found out about this fire from the news and were not told to evacuate. I wonder what caused this fire.

No sprinklers? Not told of a fire? Ca ching ca ching, The lawsuits are coming.

I wonder if there is a law firm that will represent the defendants?

When trump tower was built in the early 1980s it was not building code that sprinklers had to be fitted as it is now. There was a resident who has a disabled husband with Parkinson’s who couldn’t evacuate and she phoned her son to say goodbye as she thought she would die like being in the twin towers on 9/11.

The residents were outraged to learn that President Trump’s personal lawyer phoned his friend on the 42nd floor and told him to evacuate but the other residents were told nothing. I don’t even know if there was a fire alarm going off.

When trump tower was built in the early 1980s it was not building code that sprinklers had to be fitted as it is now. There was a resident who has a disabled husband with Parkinson’s who couldn’t evacuate and she phoned her son to say goodbye as she thought she would die like being in the twin towers on 9/11.

The residents were outraged to learn that President Trump’s personal lawyer phoned his friend on the 42nd floor and told him to evacuate but the other residents were told nothing. I don’t even know if there was a fire alarm going off.

Yes. It’s a great building. Built really well. Good the building did fine . Sarcasm. I wonder if they will show their outrage with a lawsuit

Source?

Fire sprinklers were not required in New York City high-rises when Trump Tower was completed in 1983. Subsequent updates to the building code required commercial skyscrapers to install the sprinklers retroactively, but owners of older residential high-rises are not required to install sprinklers unless the building undergoes major renovations.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/8/todd-brassner-dies-trump-tower-fire/

Michael Cohen, Trump's attorney called a friend who lives there and told him to get out now. Guess others were on their own.

I'm sorry as well for the loss of life and injuries. It could have been worse with the lack of sprinklers.I would be concerned about living in that building with the two fires in such a short span of time.
Thank goodness for the fire department for stopping the spread so fast. IMO

Fire sprinklers were not required in New York City high-rises when Trump Tower was completed in 1983. Subsequent updates to the building code required commercial skyscrapers to install the sprinklers retroactively, but owners of older residential high-rises are not required to install sprinklers unless the building undergoes major renovations.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/8/todd-brassner-dies-trump-tower-fire/

From your link:

Some fire-safety advocates pushed for a requirement that older apartment buildings be retrofitted with sprinklers when New York City passed a law requiring them in new residential highrises in 1999, but officials in the administration of then-mayor Rudy Giuliani said that would be too expensive.

Maybe this should be a wake up call to Trump to install those sprinklers. IMO

From your link:

Some fire-safety advocates pushed for a requirement that older apartment buildings be retrofitted with sprinklers when New York City passed a law requiring them in new residential highrises in 1999, but officials in the administration of then-mayor Rudy Giuliani said that would be too expensive.

Maybe this should be a wake up call to Trump to install those sprinklers. IMO

There is no chance of President Trump installing sprinklers and paying for it. In his penthouse maybe but not the whole building. It would cost a fortune to do the whole building and be a tremendous upheaval. The individual property owners who own the building would have to all agree to fit them and pay for it and that is not going to happen.

Personally I would not stay in a high rise building with no sprinklers if I was able to move.

“All six of the firefighters who were injured in the Trump Tower blaze on Saturday have now been released from hospital.

Two of the men suffered burns and the others suffered non-life-threatening injuries as they tried to get the flames on the 50th floor.

An FDNY spokesman told DailyMail.com on Sunday that the cause of the fire remains uncertain.

'That's not something we're going to jump to conclusions on,' he said, adding that it was still very much under investigation.

Of the six men who were injured, he said: 'They're OK. They're all out of hospital.'

Art-dealer Todd Brassner, 67, died in the flames. The fire broke out in his apartment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-blaze-released-hospital.html#ixzz5C7SlbrCz

I didn’t like the media reporting Mr. Brassner was behind on his mortgage I didn’t think the public needed to know this.

I thought it was unnecessary as well unless they think it was arson and he caused it?

There is no chance of President Trump installing sprinklers and paying for it. In his penthouse maybe but not the whole building. It would cost a fortune to do the whole building and be a tremendous upheaval. The individual property owners who own the building would have to all agree to fit them and pay for it and that is not going to happen.

Personally I would not stay in a high rise building with no sprinklers if I was able to move.

I have read (various articles) that Trump lobbied against installing sprinklers.
This article mentions it and also the video has a picture of the victim.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-fought-efforts-retrofit-high-rises-fire-sprinklers/story?id=54323329

“All six of the firefighters who were injured in the Trump Tower blaze on Saturday have now been released from hospital.

Two of the men suffered burns and the others suffered non-life-threatening injuries as they tried to get the flames on the 50th floor.

An FDNY spokesman told DailyMail.com on Sunday that the cause of the fire remains uncertain.

'That's not something we're going to jump to conclusions on,' he said, adding that it was still very much under investigation.

Of the six men who were injured, he said: 'They're OK. They're all out of hospital.'

Art-dealer Todd Brassner, 67, died in the flames. The fire broke out in his apartment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-blaze-released-hospital.html#ixzz5C7SlbrCz

From the same article:
According to documents, his family had stopped helping him pursue buying and selling art at the end of 2014, and in the last few years he had been 'plagued with debilitating medical problems that have made it difficult for him to function.'

I wonder if his “debilitating medical problems” contributed to an inability to escape.

It is so good to know it is a well built building.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back