Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotr

Reaction score
https://www.cp24.com/news/pharma-gi...-barry-and-honey-sherman-found-dead-1.3723714
Pharmaceutical giant Barry Sherman and his wife Honey Sherman were found dead in a home in Toronto’s York Mills neighbourhood on Friday afternoon, sources confirm.

Emergency crews responded to a 9-1-1 medical call at a house located at 50 Old Colony Road, which is in the area of Bayview Avenue and Highway 401.
Firefighters, officers and paramedics arrived on scene just before 12 p.m. and located two bodies inside.
Barry Sherman was the chairman of generic drug company Apotex Inc. He and his wife were well known Toronto philanthropists.

Canadian Business magazine recently listed Barry Sherman as the 15th richest person in Canada, with a net worth of $4.77 billion.

Speaking to reporters in front of the home, Const. David Hopkinson said the victims’ deaths are being treated as suspicious at this time.

“The circumstances of their deaths appear suspicious and we are treating it that way,” he said. “Our investigators are inside (the home) investigating and taking apart the scene.”

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...apotex-founder-barry-sherman/article37348222/
attachment.php

Dr. Eric Hoskins, Ontario's Minister of Health and Long Term Care, tweeted: "I am beyond words right now. My dear friends Barry and Honey Sherman have been found dead. Wonderful human beings, incredible philanthropists, great leaders in health care. A very, very sad day. Barry, Honey, rest in peace."

Mr. Feldman said family members had told him that Mr. Sherman had not been at work on Thursday, and that no one had heard from his wife that day, either.
"We don't know what happened. A family member got information and called me. … We don't want to interfere with a police investigation, but on the other hand the kinfolk want to know about their kinfolk."
An Apotex spokesperson said they had just learned the news and would not be commenting immediately.

Attachments

• ZYOTSD53LJGDPHTLBTNWUCSRWA.JPG
    ZYOTSD53LJGDPHTLBTNWUCSRWA.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 52
Hello everybody!

Here's an 11-minute AM640 Toronto radio interview with Julian Fantino (former OPP Commissioner, former TPS Chief), on his opinion of the Barry and Honey Sherman investigation.

From 12/29/17; "The John Oakley Show" (with Arlene Bynon in for J.O.)

https://omny.fm/shows/the-john-oakley-show/the-latest-in-the-barry-and-honey-sherman-investig

Their interview addresses some of the issues that have already been discussed here. Essentially former TPS Chief Fantino says all results of this investigation will be evidence-based, and that means it will take time. He adds (more than once) that not everybody will like the results.

ETA: fixed typos

Hello everybody!

Here's an 11-minute AM640 Toronto radio interview with Julian Fantino (former OPP Commissioner, former TPS Chief), on his opinion of the Barry and Honey Sherman investigation.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-john-oakley-show/the-latest-in-the-barry-and-honey-sherman-investig

Their interview addresses some of the issues that have already been discussed here. Essentially former TPS Chief Fantino says all results of this investigation will be evidence-based, and that means it will take time. He adds (more than once) that not everybody will like the results.

Thank you. Welcome to Websleuths!

He was speaking rather more speculatively ie when the investigation is completed it's possible people may not like the results. I felt the need to clarify for anyone who hasn't listened.

Thank you. Welcome to Websleuths!

He was speaking rather more speculatively ie when the investigation is completed it's possible people may not like the results. I felt the need to clarify for anyone who hasn't listened.

Thanks, Tortoise. I didn't mean to imply more than that.

The last question the interviewee asked Mr. Fantino (8:57 minutes in) was one which some here have wondered about...

Bynon: "When we know that they're not looking for suspects; when we know that they're not warning the public, we start to draw a conclusion. Its about public safety, you know. On one hand, you have a crime - and you would know better than most of us - its important to tell the public what risk they're at. What can we conclude from where we are in this investigation?"

Fantino: "I think, basically, the only conclusion one can draw is that the police would be damned if they say if they did or if they didn't [have a suspect or person of interest]..."

Interesting that he implied that the outcome would be made public.

Hello everybody!

Welcome Veeduck,

Thank you so much for sharing this interview with us!

Greatly appreciated!

Glad you liked it, zencompass! I've been a long-time lurker, and have appreciated the interesting viewpoints that you and others have shared about this perplexing case.

Thank you for that audio clip, Veeduck. I think it was a helpful interview, and a good reminder to stay grounded in knowing that only facts and evidence can come from a thorough investigation, which takes time.

I have a personal reason to believe the Sherman case is a double-homicide, but its a notion that few if any WS members would find convincing. So I’d like to suggest the following hypothetical situation:

Let’s suppose that a couple are strangled by a man who accidentally leaves his public library card at the murder scene. Let’s further suppose that police inquiries establish that the library card isn’t recognized by family, friends, or staff. Then the police find the name on the card happens to match that of a local resident with a shady past. This is all just in theory now.

In that theoretical case, should the police inform the public that they have a suspect/POI? What if the local resident denies any involvement, and there is no evidence to implicate him other than the library card itself?

I’d like to think police would alert the public to these circumstances, even if there is insufficient evidence to convict the man. But I doubt our legal system would permit that, so I’d expect the police will say nothing until they discover sufficient proof of the man’s guilt.

Thats what I think, but I’m not a lawyer (thank God!) Anyone care to venture an opinion?

Thank you Gray-St. I hope you don't mind that I followed it up with baseless conjecture!

I have a personal reason to believe the Sherman case is a double-homicide, but its a notion that few if any WS members would find convincing. So I’d like to suggest the following hypothetical situation:

Let’s suppose that a couple are strangled by a man who accidentally leaves his public library card at the murder scene. Let’s further suppose that police inquiries establish that the library card isn’t recognized by family, friends, or staff. Then the police find the name on the card happens to match that of a local resident with a shady past. This is all just in theory now.

In that theoretical case, should the police inform the public that they have a suspect/POI? What if the local resident denies any involvement, and there is no evidence to implicate him other than the library card itself?

I’d like to think police would alert the public to these circumstances, even if there is insufficient evidence to convict the man. But I doubt our legal system would permit that, so I’d expect the police will say nothing until they discover sufficient proof of the man’s guilt.

Thats what I think, but I’m not a lawyer (thank God!) Anyone care to venture an opinion?
I think you're correct. They would not be able to state a suspect or person of interest.

Even more so the case, if there was no evidence of a suspect left at the scene, but there were 100 theoretical suspects who would want someone killed.

No, it was never said that suicide by hanging was rare. As stated previously, I'm well aware that hanging is the most common form of suicide.

What was said, is that in a murder-suicide case, hanging or ligature neck compression, is very rare.

I see this as one murder, and one suicide. Both spousal homicide by strangulation (considered a soft kill) and suicide by hanging are very common. I'm confused how these two common events are considered rare when they happen within the same 24 hours.

I see this as one murder, and one suicide. Both spousal homicide by strangulation (considered a soft kill) and suicide by hanging are very common. I'm confused how these two common events are considered rare when they happen within the same 24 hours.
I understand the confusion. In a murder-suicide case, what is rare is to have the two deceased parties die of ligature neck compression. Other methods/scenarios were seen as much more common, according to statistics Canada.

Singularly, suicide by hanging is very common, yes.

As always, anything is possible.

ETA: After pondering your thought further, if a murder-suicide occurred as 1 homicide by strangulation, and 1 suicide by hanging, the cause of death classifications would be 1 neck compression (strangulation) and 1 ligature hanging (or maybe ligature neck compression).

I agree, Grey St. Anything is possible, given we are not privy to the results from the post mortem exams nor the actual crime scene (apart from some information from sources which have not been verified by the police).

Welcome VeeDuck,

I appreciated hearing Fantinos pov. Thanks for linking it. Every little bit adds more to this bizarre case.

More speculation? (there would be no seated position this way)

On Friday, December 15, the Shermans’ real estate agent found both Barry and Honey Sherman hanging by their necks from a balcony overlooking the house’s indoor pool. They were scheduled to fly to their winter abode in Florida in a matter of days.
Source: Who Killed Barry And Honey Sherman?

re post
https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...ut-the-deaths-of-barry-and-honey-sherman.html
Cause of deaths

A post-mortem was conducted on the Shermans Saturday and Sunday. Toronto police soon released a statement saying the cause of death for both Shermans had been “ligature neck compression.”

The pathological term describes death from hanging or strangulation with a ligature — an object such as a belt or rope.
A police source told the Star that the couple was found together, by their indoor pool, hanging off a nearby structure in a semi-sitting position.

Next steps
Former homicide cops told the Star this week that investigators will be gathering and examining evidence and exploring all possibilities in the deaths, including murder-suicide, double suicide or double homicide.

The Toronto police forensic team had been working at the Old Colony Rd. home through the weekend and into this week. Detectives would have been looking for any physical evidence on scene, such as DNA, and likely been scouring computers and cellphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh