Oprah

rosemadderlake

Reaction score
Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement.

Oprah Winfrey’s speech was galvanizing and important, forward-looking and inclusive: the kind we used to hear from the person running the country.

-It shouldn’t have worked. Award shows are stage-managed, prettified, self-justifying, emotionally incoherent affairs at which, occasionally, something meaningful or surprising happens. The Golden Globes are the wackiest of the bunch, mostly because everyone gets to drink. And the red carpet is where the pageantry is at its most superficial. Yet last night it was the launch pad for a decisive feminist takeover that lasted until the final envelope was opened. Women, collectively and defiantly, ruled.

-As the evening wore on, the tone threatened to falter, with feminist rallying cries wedged alongside Aziz Ansari’s shout-out to Italian food. Were the Golden Globes really up to this?

-And then came Oprah. No one on earth is better equipped to modulate tone in a tricky television situation than Winfrey, who was there to receive the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement. The DeMille speech is fast becoming a kind of alternative State of the Union address. Last year, Meryl Streep gave a full-throated (despite her laryngitis) rebuke to the newly elected President. This year, Winfrey seemed to grab hold of every live wire of rage, sadness, hope, and uncertainty dangling around the room and channel them into a truly breathtaking oration. As the first black woman to receive the honor, she spoke of watching Sidney Poitier claim his historic 1964 Oscar for Best Actor; of the power of the press “to navigate these complicated times”; of Recy Taylor, a black woman raped by six white men in Jim Crow Alabama, who died just over a week ago. “She lived as we all have lived, too many years in a culture broken by brutally powerful men,” Winfrey said. “For too long, women have not been heard or believed if they dared to speak their truth to the power of those men. But their time is up.” Then she repeated, in that ringing inflection that makes you feel like you might get a new car, “Their time is up!”

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/c...obes-oprah-leads-a-decisive-feminist-takeover

---
^Some excerpts ^ from The New Yorker's take on last night's Golden Globes.

While I don't for a minute think Oprah will run as president in 2020, what she did last night was show us a woman who doesn't need the constraints of government to get America reading with her book club. Cormack McCarthy no less!

Her personal story is told from the depths of the American experience. Most of all she speaks to the black woman, all women, and the men who love them, and to a strength that many have not been tested.

What she did last night was show the way, with the authenticity of her experience.

I have loved Oprah over the years. She became who she is, warts and all, along with a whole generation.

Most of all, Oprah has channeled, and perhaps woke the best of all who tried, who succeeded, who are unwilling to go back to the dark ages, who need the optimism, and she brought all that, and more, to the table last night.

I didn’t watch this show, I wonder, did anyone mention the “children victims” who have been abused/raped in Hollywood?

How about beyond Hollywood? The message?

Children...

YES, of course children all over the world. Was there any mention of any child victims? Does #metoo include children or is it for adults only? I wonder why “Hollywood” doesn’t get behind child victims instead of people like Woody Allen and Roman Polanski. I wonder if “#metoo” would have gone after Harvey Weinstein if it were children he had molested/raped.

Oprah Winfrey accepted the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement at the Golden Globes on Sunday and delivered a moving speech that brought men and women in the audience to their feet.

Below is a full transcript of Winfrey's acceptance speech.
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/08/entertainment/oprah-globes-speech-transcript/index.html
- - -
other snippets from the show, including other winners: https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/golden-globes-2018-highlights-and-winners-live-updates/

"Oprah's hugs could end wars and solve world peace," added Witherspoon. "When she hugs you, it's the greatest thing ever."

Witherspoon thanked Winfrey and closed off her speech saying, "You've changed our lives," before a montage of Winfrey's performances in film and TV played, in addition to clips from her productions and other notable events.

Winfrey accepted her award and remembered watching Sidney Poitier win an Oscar in 1964 and how much it meant to her to see a black actor to win the award. Winfrey then said what an honor it was to be the first black woman to win the Cecil B. DeMille Award, which Poitier won in 1982.

[I particularly enjoyed this one:]
Sterling K. Brown wins best actor in a TV series
Kerry Washington and Garrett Hedlund presented the award for best actor in a TV series, drama, which went to Sterling K. Brown for "This is Us."
Brown thanked "This is Us" showrunner Dan Fogelman and said he always benefited from colorblind casting, and continued, "But you wrote a role for a black man, that can only be played by a black man."

He continued and said Fogelman wrote a role that made Brown seen for who he was and appreciated for who he was.

Brown said, "That makes it that much more difficult to dismiss me and dismiss anyone who looks like me."

I didn’t watch this show, I wonder, did anyone mention the “children victims” who have been abused/raped in Hollywood?

Children were not pointed out, but the “metoo” movement covers the culture that allowed sexual misconduct to go unchecked —- men, women, and children

I rarely watch awards shows, but I have seen Oprah’s speech several times today and believe she was quite powerful and a voice to be reckoned with. I see her doing anything she sets her mind to. Kudos to her for this one!

Most of all, Oprah has channeled, and perhaps woke the best of all who tried, who succeeded, who are unwilling to go back to the dark ages, who need the optimism she brought all that, and more, to the table last night.

C'mon, peeps... Are all are included, don't ya think???

I think they're off to a decent start, but there's much more the leaders in the entertainment industry need to acknowledge. They need to talk about horrific sexual abuse of children in the industry. If they can't address that issue, I'm not sure this particular group of leaders.

FWIW, I'm a very liberal person, politically speaking. Tired of half measures.

ETA: As for Oprah running for president, some folks need to get serious about politics. The job is a serious one with grave responsibilities. Some folks need to stop thinking of POTUS as a serious position that needs to be filled with highly qualified people with experience and committed to representing everyone in the US. Enough talk of celebrities, CEOs and inexperienced politicians. It's not reality tv,

Children were not pointed out, but the “metoo” movement covers the culture that allowed sexual misconduct to go unchecked —- men, women, and children

If so, they need to address specifically that group and the crimes committed against them. Raising awareness and all that.

I think Oprah meant to address the world, and she just about covered most of it.

Her speech was directed towards the truth of the black woman, the woman, the men, the south, north, east, & west...

Of course child abuse is at the forfront of any discussion, anywhere, anytime, IMO... And the discussion continues. The advocacy continues.

I think Oprah meant to address the world, and she just about covered most of it.

Her speech was directed towards the truth of the black woman, the woman, the men, the south, north, east, & west...

Of course child abuse is at the forfront of any discussion, anywhere, anytime, IMO... And the discussion continues. The advocacy continues.

black woman, the woman, the men, were the words "child abuse/rape even said last night?

While I don't for a minute think Oprah will run as president in 2020, what she did last night was show us a woman who doesn't need the constraints of government to get America reading with her book club. Cormack McCarthy no less!

Her personal story is told from the depths of the American experience. Most of all she speaks to the black woman, all women, and the men who love them, and to a strength that many have not been tested.

What she did last night was show the way, with the authenticity of her experience.

I have loved Oprah over the years. She became who she is, warts and all, along with a whole generation.

Most of all, Oprah has channeled, and perhaps woke the best of all who tried, who succeeded, who are unwilling to go back to the dark ages, who need the optimism, and she brought all that, and more, to the table last night.

I think she will at least attempt to run the Democrats will love her. Can you imagine the hype of having the first black female president?

The next election is going to be intense for sure, it will be interesting to see who runs against President Trump. I know he is despised by many and I understand that. The only positive of him being in power is the improvements in the U.S economy which in turn helps the world.

If so, they need to address specifically that group and the crimes committed against them. Raising awareness and all that.

Sexual abuse covers every category, IMO. Abused as a child, still carry the scars as an adult. No one person can do it all. It is up to all of us to raise awareness when and where we can. I do not think we need to rely on celebrities exclusively.

All JMO

black woman, the woman, the men, were the words "child abuse/rape even said last night?

I hear you, grammie. Perhaps Oprah opened the door last night in such a way that gave credence to the issues?

No one speech, very few speeches cover all the bases. And Oprah was just accepting an award... But she lit a spark?

Yes... Will be interested to see if this elevates some of the more complex issues we all care so deeply about. :heartbeat:

I felt her speech was incredibly powerful. Yes to all she said about being out of the shadows and the models that will change the trajectory of many girls. She didn't say boys but ?I believe boys will be impacted.

I think she will at least attempt to run the Democrats will love her. Can you imagine the hype of having the first black female president?

The next election is going to be intense for sure, it will be interesting to see who runs against President Trump. I know he is despised by many and I understand that. The only positive of him being in power is the improvements in the U.S economy which in turn helps the world.

I'm a lifelong Democrat and I would not support her or any other celebrity. I don't know of many fellow Dems who would. Celebrity candidates rarely work out well and we do ourselves a great disservice as a country when we trivialize the office of POTUS. I used to think " oh well, whatever it takes to get someone elected", but no more. I'll still stick with Bernie.

I think they're off to a decent start, but there's much more the leaders in the entertainment industry need to acknowledge. They need to talk about horrific sexual abuse of children in the industry. If they can't address that issue, I'm not sure this particular group of leaders.

While I agree with your comment Betty, I would add that it is all leaders, of all industries and sectors, political leaders, community leaders etc, who ALL need to say enough is enough and bring about real change that reduces sexual assault and domestic violence and seek to change people's behaviours and their attitudes towards these issues that affect way too many people of all ages.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back