NY NY - NY, 201 W 24th St, WhtMale 20-40, UP6896, box on sdwlk, Tatts: Libra, Oct 3, butterfly, Feb'96

madamx

Reaction score
I came across this unidentified guy on the doe network.. I looked but could not find a thread for him so I decided to start one..

I noticed written on Namus and the Doe it says Scale on his forearm, but I noticed in the photo above it says Libra and under it has what looks like letters. I have had a hard time making it out..looks to me like OCC3 or OCG3 or OGC3.. I could maybe be OCT3 like his birthday ? Libra runs from the end of September to the Mid of October.. again just some thoughts

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6896

M96_01044_tattoo_1[1].jpgM96_01044_tattoo_2[1].jpgM96_01044_tattoo_3[1].jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1116umny.html

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on February 12, 1996 in New York City, New York County, New York
Charred/burned Remains

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 20-40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 72"; 145 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: 3" light brown, curly hair.

Tattoos:
Butterfly on right shoulder,
Scales on the right forearm,
"**** You" on upper left back.

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available

Case History
The victim was located in a cardboard box which was on fire on sidewalk in front of 201 West 24th Street.

I decided to add this guy since his height and weight seem to match and his birthday is in October which made him a libra and seems he left with some Rainbow Cult so I guess anything is possible

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1691dmne.html
BRCannon4[1].jpg
Name: Benjamin Richard Cannon
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: March 31, 1995
Location Last Seen: Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska

Physical Description
Date of Birth: October 11, 1974

Race: White
Height: 5'9" to 6'2"
Weight: 135-180 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark brown, buzz cut with bangs.
Eye Color: Gray or hazel.
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Light complexion. Pierced ears. No tattoos at time of disappearance. May suffer from mental illness.
Identifiers

Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Dresses casually and sometimes wears a beret.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Benjamin Richard Cannon, known as Ben, was last seen at his residence in the 12600 block of Weir Street in Omaha, Nebraska, sometime in late March 1995.
He was involved with the Rainbow Family, a nomadic cult-type religious group, at the time of his disappearance.

Cannon was not reported missing until May 2004, nine years after he went missing; prior to then, the police had refused to accept a report. Few details are available in his case.
Investigating Agency(s)

I'm no expert but the tattoos look more than a year old. It says LIBRA above the scales but I also make it out to be OCC3 below the scales. The butterfly tat looks like an amateur's work. It also looks like the oldest one.

M96_01044_tattoo_2[1].jpg
I have been looking more and more trying to figure out the letters on the bottom of the scale.. I was looking at it on my phone and its much smaller and looked to me as OC63 or OG63 .. then I was thinking could be his initials and the last 2 numbers of his birth year.. again just a thought. Yes and the tattoos do not look professional at all to me...

I found this guy and his height and weight match up and it says he is light skinned although he is black..
I know the date of him missing is March 13 1996 which is exactly a month and day to when the UID was found..

What caught my eye is that it says that he was last seen 3rd Ave and West 52nd street. in Manhattan. BUT there is NO 3rd Ave and West 52nd street.. If he was on 3rd ave he would be on the East side of Manhattan not the West... and the UID was found on 201 West 24ths street..which is the West side not to far from where this guy was last seen if in fact he was seen on West 52nd.

My point being if they did a typo on the location could there have been other things mixed up on this Owen C. Powell's profile also? and it just has never been noticed?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1504dmny.html

Owen C. Powell
Missing since March 13, 1996 from Manhattan, New York City, New York
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: 1952
Age at Time of Disappearance: 43 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 72 inches; 150-170 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black male. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Light complexion.

Powell was last seen in the vicinity of 3rd Avenue and West 52nd Street in Manhattan, New York at 10:03 A.M. on March 13, 1996.

OPowell[1].jpg

I found this guy and his height and weight match up and it says he is light skinned although he is black..
I know the date of him missing is March 13 1996 which is exactly a month and day to when the UID was found..

What caught my eye is that it says that he was last seen 3rd Ave and West 52nd street. in Manhattan. BUT there is NO 3rd Ave and West 52nd street.. If he was on 3rd ave he would be on the East side of Manhattan not the West... and the UID was found on 201 West 24ths street..which is the West side not to far from where this guy was last seen if in fact he was seen on West 52nd.

My point being if they did a typo on the location could there have been other things mixed up on this Owen C. Powell's profile also? and it just has never been noticed?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1504dmny.html

Owen C. Powell
Missing since March 13, 1996 from Manhattan, New York City, New York
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: 1952
Age at Time of Disappearance: 43 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 72 inches; 150-170 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black male. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Light complexion.

Powell was last seen in the vicinity of 3rd Avenue and West 52nd Street in Manhattan, New York at 10:03 A.M. on March 13, 1996.

View attachment 128754

He's got no tattoos. Original person also had light brown hair.

It would be wonderful if we could get clearer pictures of the tattoos. I ran them through goggle reverse look up with no luck. I also tried goggling the meaning of OCC3 and the nearest I can get is Orange County Choppers.

Libra's element is air, OCC3 is a stretch if they meant CO2. I don't see the first C as a G. I was thinking prison tattoos.

The NYPD has a database the public can search at a fee, but you need a name.

It would be very helpful if someone knew of a database in New York where we could scroll through mug shots and tattoos to see if we can find it there.

Let me know how your search for OG or OCC or OGC goes. I didn't even think of that.

I went on the assumption that our John never left New York. I have a list of tattoo parlours eatablished prior to 1996. However, I don't think we'll get a hit there. Especially the F you on the back looks very dark for an old tattoo, like it was done with black pen ink.

Does Reikers or Sing Sing have some kind of searchable data base?

IMG_20180113_074707.jpg
I played around with the photo. You were correct initially. It says OCT. 3 There is also a moon bottom left and a star top right.

View attachment 128766
I played around with the photo. You were correct initially. It says OCT. 3 There is also a moon bottom left and a star top right.

oh Bauldelaire thanks for playing with the photo!!!.. yes I also now see the tiny star on the top right and a half moon on the bottom.
I guess you see the Oct 3 also.. its so hard to really be 100 percent sure. I have tried figuring out different letters and looking the combinations up online.. but nothing really makes sense or stands out..

oh yes another reason I posted Owen C Powell because I thought maaaaybe the letters under the scale could be Owens initials..Yes I wish there was some way possible to view like you said mugshots on list of tattoos on inmates.

the only database that I know of is the inmate look up but as you said you need to know a name http://a073-ils-web.nyc.gov/inmatelookup/pages/common/find.jsf

to me the tattoos look old..to me the butterfly does Not look professional..but who am I really to say.. I think maybe the libra and scale could maybe be professional from possibly the early 1980s or late 1970s..but as you said the FU looks darker.. oh its hard to really tell.....arrgh!

IMG_20180113_085118.jpg

Can you see the T with a space of skin and then a dot now? It's very blurry but I can definitely see a T and then a dot. I'm trying to find someone in the NYPD Crime centre. Loads of resources for victims but cannot find someone I can send a pic of the tattoos to.

I sent an email to the NYC Gov. I have a reference number, so let's see if they get back to me and can run those pics through their convict system.

I'm surprised the NYME office did not run the tattoos through the inmate database. I'm also beginning to think that homeless shelters should do the same, although you wouldn't have seen the UID's under his clothes.

View attachment 128769

Can you see the T with a space of skin and then a dot now? It's very blurry but I can definitely see a T and then a dot. I'm trying to find someone in the NYPD Crime centre. Loads of resources for victims but cannot find someone I can send a pic of the tattoos to.

Omg now Yes I Clearly see the T with the dot! wow yes I do!.. oh you are awesome!!!! you have actually confirmed what I saw.. oh thank you.. makes me feel like I did something ha!..
now I will see if I can find anything on my end on who to send the photo to.. I mean maybe send it to Namus.. but they will just write down the info that its Oct 3 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6896.. I don't know?

You did a lot. I would not even thought of NAMUS. I think the more places we ask for info and the more places we provide info to will result in something somewhere. Thank you for starting the thread.

I sent an email to the NYC Gov. I have a reference number, so let's see if they get back to me and can run those pics through their convict system.

I'm surprised the NYME office did not run the tattoos through the inmate database. I'm also beginning to think that homeless shelters should do the same, although you wouldn't have seen the UID's under his clothes.

yes your right I am surprised they would not have done that already.. but I am sure a lot of the early ones are Not online but still in files and folders in boxes somewhere waiting to be logged online..so I guess its much harder.. oh I don't know what types of database homeless shelters keep but yeah it would be good if they kept one.. again going back I think everything would be on paper though.

I'm trying prisons now, trying to go through their tattoos. There are literally millions in the NY system alone.

I'm trying prisons now, trying to go through their tattoos. There are literally millions in the NY system alone.

oh the prisons have pages of their inmates tattoos? really I had no idea.. how did you find that? does it go that far back?
I just sent and email to an old school nyc tattoo artist Mike Perfetto from Brooklyn to see if he recognizes these tattoos along with the ones from the woman in the Bronx case.. lets see if he replies back and sees if he says anything.

Some prisons do. There was a directive from the mayor's office to photograph tattoos when taking mug shots.

Whether you check prison shots or missing persons, it remains a formidable task. There are 65 correctional institutions. The missing is an even longer list.

I don't live in New York, so when I look at a missing or missing wanted, they do give the address where last seen. However I do not know the city, so that address may as well be on Pluto for me.

Our John was found in a burning box. So the other angle I'm trying is some other person who went missing at the same time John was found and is a POI. But because I don't know the streets I can't tell if its right next to John's box or across the city. Perhaps you would have more luck with that angle madamx.

Also if the box was burning, was there another box close to it that also caught alight?

Is his tattoo a butterfly or a moth? If it's a moth, then it could be his nickname "Moth"...short for Timothy.

Sorry it was too late to edit. I also wanted to add that it could entirely be possible that he is from the "Mothman" area of West Virginia.
If the Libra scales with a birthdate are his, then it could be that he was identifying himself also through the "moth" or butterfly.

Sorry it was too late to edit. I also wanted to add that it could entirely be possible that he is from the "Mothman" area of West Virginia.
If the Libra scales with a birthdate are his, then it could be that he was identifying himself also through the "moth" or butterfly.

It could very well be. I went through Namus and the doe network. No hits. So we're back to either checking the prison system and without a name you're pretty much screwed. Or waiting from an email from the Mayor's office, or checking all the other states. It's 10pm here, I will come back tomorrow and look some more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoopyxxoo31
Back