Found Safe UK - Riina Sjogren, 38, Finnish tourist, Edinburgh, 9 Jan 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregjrichards

Reaction score
Concerns have been raised by cops over a Finnish tourist who went missing on Tuesday January 9.

Police in Edinburgh have launched an appeal to trace Riina Elisabeth Sjogren after the 38-year-old disappeared in the capital.

Riina left Edinburgh Airport around 8.50pm on Tuesday after buying a plane ticket she did not use and abandoning her belongings.

She then travelled back into the city by tram, arriving at York Place at 10.20pm.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/concerns-grow-woman-missing-edinburgh-11848007

EDB86C52-C43E-4000-857D-65C49981E94B.jpeg

She is described as white, 5ft 6ins, of medium build with shoulder-length dark brown hair and wearing glasses.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15826882.Police_launch_search_for_missing_Finnish_tourist/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gwE3oECAsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw147NAFInaJr8T8UGeYGyRr
b30a9661044ba31faa171502157242d8.jpg

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Additional information. If it helps.
She was religious and had a vocation. She taught kids at Sunday school. This is very uncharacteristic of her.

Additional information. If it helps.
She was religious and had a vocation. She taught kids at Sunday school. This is very uncharacteristic of her.

That's unusual. The Finns are not really known for being particularly religious. I think the country is generally Lutheran with some Orthodox though the number of atheists, agnostics and similar is significant and growing.

That's unusual. The Finns are not really known for being particularly religious. I think the country is generally Lutheran with some Orthodox though the number of atheists, agnostics and similar is significant and growing.

Completely unusual I agree with you MelmothTheLost.

This case is puzzling. She abandoned all of her belongings, could this be that she decided to stay in Scotland maybe for job-hunting or to do voluntary work (there are many NGOs and very active ones in Edinburgh)? but again I very much doubt she would not phone to tell her family about her change of heart.

Completely unusual I agree with you MelmothTheLost.

This case is puzzling. She abandoned all of her belongings, could this be that she decided to stay in Scotland maybe for job-hunting or to do voluntary work (there are many NGOs and very active ones in Edinburgh)? but again I very much doubt she would not phone to tell her family about her change of heart.

It is a very strange case indeed. I just hope nobody has caused Riina any harm. I wondered if she takes medication or has any medical conditions.

Similar to the Swedish woman who was found dead near Prestwick airport back in 2005? Buying a ticket and then leaving without using it.

Hopefully cctv will provide some clues as to which direction she went from York Place. I'd think a lot of the bars will have outside cameras as well as the council street ones.

According to the Finnish MSM Riina's disappearance is very uncharacteristic for her. She is described as a very open, heartfelt and responsible person by her friend. Riina is a teacher by her profession (she's teaching catholic religion) and her family and friends are frantic with worry.

For some reason Edinburgh police does not want to publish the destination of the flight ticket she bought at the airport.
Her family and friends did not know anything about her jouney to Scotland, either.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/201801152200668749_u0.shtml

What's worrying is York Place is the last tram stop so getting off there might not indicate she had an intention to go to a specific place and rather she just reached the end of the tram line. Has there been any info about how long she'd been in Edinburgh?

Yes, as a percentage of the population. I live there. Actually, there are many freakish small sects etc. Very simmilar to Scotland and NI with their Wee Frees etc and splits from other denominations.

PS Sorry, this was a reply to a post above speaking of Finnish religious attachments.

3-4 days in Edinburgh - earlier three or four days in London. The trip to Edinburgh hadn't been planned on her itinerary.

According to the Finnish MSM Riina's disappearance is very uncharacteristic for her. She is described as a very open, heartfelt and responsible person by her friend. Riina is a teacher by her profession (she's teaching catholic religion) and her family and friends are frantic with worry.

For some reason Edinburgh police does not want to publish the destination of the flight ticket she bought at the airport.
Her family and friends did not know anything about her jouney to Scotland, either.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/201801152200668749_u0.shtml

LemonMint - I see you can read Finnish, does this newspaper article say anything about her personal life (is there a husband, any children?)?

Did she spend Christmas/New Year celebrations in Scotland on her own or was it a weekend trip that she took after the Xmas holidays?

I am guessing -maybe incorrectly- that if police forces are not releasing details of the destination on the flight ticket that might mean she was not Finland-bound but going somewhere else instead.

I lived/worked in Edinburgh for quite a while (2000-2008) and I can't really say this is a dangerous city at all. Aside from some streets in Pilton and Meadowbank -which are far away from the city centre anyway- Portobello at night -it is lovely during the day- and a couple of other areas, the city feels really safe so I am not suspecting foul play in this case. Jmho.

Hoping everything turns out fine, but am reminded of the young Russian woman who went missing in Scotland.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13141033.Body_identified_as_missing_Yulia/
Yulia Solodyankina, a 22-year-old physics undergraduate at Edinburgh University, was last seen in the capital before boarding a bus for Glasgow on June 7 last year. CCTV footage captured her at Buchanan bus station at 4.55pm and she was not seen again.

The remains were discovered off a track near the A83 near the village of Arrochar in Argyll on January 9.

I don't know whether convents are obliged to disclose information on anyone sheltering there but they'd be my first port of call.

I'm a Finn living here in Edinburgh and all of this seems very suspicious to me. The tram stop in York place is very close to the bus station in the city centre so perhaps she just went and took a bus to somewhere? Also there are a few things that I don't get. First of all, why isn't the destination of the purchased plane ticket revealed?? Secondly, why did she leave all of her belongings at the airport obviously she has money with her since she paid for the tram ticket. Personally I don't necessarily think that there's any foul play involved but who knows...

Similar to the Swedish woman who was found dead near Prestwick airport back in 2005? Buying a ticket and then leaving without using it.

Thanks for bringing that case up. I hadn't known of that poor woman and a general search of similar cases is concerning. :(

I'm a Finn living here in Edinburgh and all of this seems very suspicious to me. The tram stop in York place is very close to the bus station in the city centre so perhaps she just went and took a bus to somewhere? Also there are a few things that I don't get. First of all, why isn't the destination of the purchased plane ticket revealed?? Secondly, why did she leave all of her belongings at the airport obviously she has money with her since she paid for the tram ticket. Personally I don't necessarily think that there's any foul play involved but who knows...
I wonder if she had some kind of mental break, and doesn't know who she is or where she was going.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member