Couples look more alike as they age - study shows

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Why Some Old Lovers Look Alike
Forget about opposites attracting. We like people who look like us, because they tend to have personalities similar to our own.

And, a new study suggests, the longer we are with someone, the more similarities in appearance grow.

Researchers set out to investigate why couples often tend to resemble one another. They asked 11 male and 11 female participants to judge the age, attractiveness and personality traits of 160 real-life married couples. Photographs of husbands and wives were viewed separately, so the participants didn't know who was married to whom.

The test participants rated men and woman who were actual couples as looking alike and having similar personalities. Also, the longer the couples had been together, the greater the perceived similarities.

More:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060214/sc_space/whysomeoldloverslookalike

ohhhh, God please help me! :D

I think my BF is on the winning end of this, hehe. ;)

Heehee DD!!!! I was going to say the same thing!

Hubby is going bald - while it looks good on him, I'd hate to be bald.... :D :D

I hate to go against a "study," but I've always thought due to vanity, people are naturally attracted to people who look like they do - NOT that they morph into looking alike. ;)

Jules said:
Heehee DD!!!! I was going to say the same thing!

Hubby is going bald - while it looks good on him, I'd hate to be bald.... :D :D

LMAO! Same w/ boyfriend. Since getting "thin" on top, he now does the standard firefighter buzz cut - looks good on him, but I can't picture myself with short hair, let alone hardly any hair, LOL!

Good grief! I hope when I look in the mirror in the morning I don't look like my chubby hubby.

Jeana (DP) said:
I hate to go against a "study," but I've always thought due to vanity, people are naturally attracted to people who look like they do - NOT that they morph into looking alike. ;)

I so agree with this Jeana and have believed this for some time. Often if you look around, you can see it. It has almost become a mindless pastime of mine while watching soccer games over the years. First I try to match parents on the sidelines with players. Fun to do and you can see the genetics so clearly. Then I look at couples and sure 'nuf, they often have similar traits. Not things like hair length and style but eye color, facial shape, body type, coloring, etc. I think my parents do. I even can see similarities in me and my spouse. I think we are attracted to people who resemble what is familiar to us, our families!

Eve

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back