Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotr

Reaction score
https://www.cp24.com/news/pharma-gi...-barry-and-honey-sherman-found-dead-1.3723714
Pharmaceutical giant Barry Sherman and his wife Honey Sherman were found dead in a home in Toronto’s York Mills neighbourhood on Friday afternoon, sources confirm.

Emergency crews responded to a 9-1-1 medical call at a house located at 50 Old Colony Road, which is in the area of Bayview Avenue and Highway 401.
Firefighters, officers and paramedics arrived on scene just before 12 p.m. and located two bodies inside.
Barry Sherman was the chairman of generic drug company Apotex Inc. He and his wife were well known Toronto philanthropists.

Canadian Business magazine recently listed Barry Sherman as the 15th richest person in Canada, with a net worth of $4.77 billion.

Speaking to reporters in front of the home, Const. David Hopkinson said the victims’ deaths are being treated as suspicious at this time.

“The circumstances of their deaths appear suspicious and we are treating it that way,” he said. “Our investigators are inside (the home) investigating and taking apart the scene.”

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...apotex-founder-barry-sherman/article37348222/
attachment.php

Dr. Eric Hoskins, Ontario's Minister of Health and Long Term Care, tweeted: "I am beyond words right now. My dear friends Barry and Honey Sherman have been found dead. Wonderful human beings, incredible philanthropists, great leaders in health care. A very, very sad day. Barry, Honey, rest in peace."

Mr. Feldman said family members had told him that Mr. Sherman had not been at work on Thursday, and that no one had heard from his wife that day, either.
"We don't know what happened. A family member got information and called me. … We don't want to interfere with a police investigation, but on the other hand the kinfolk want to know about their kinfolk."
An Apotex spokesperson said they had just learned the news and would not be commenting immediately.

Attachments

• ZYOTSD53LJGDPHTLBTNWUCSRWA.JPG
    ZYOTSD53LJGDPHTLBTNWUCSRWA.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 74
Steve Ryan states it is totally irresponsible to state a double murder by a professional hit because of marks on the Sherman’s wrists without having the totality of the information the TPS have. Totally irrational is what I think as well.

I agree, if markings on the wrists is the only reason Klatt; et. al believe there is evidence of a professional hit/contract killing. His team is experienced and should know better than that. Personally, I'd view the wrist ties and belts as indications of premeditation, but not necessarily a professional hit.

Contrary to current consensus, I see no evidence so far that the Sherman double homicide was done by professional hitmen.

I wonder whether the unusual method of restraining the victims with their coats might have been misinterpreted as some kind of professionalism? IMO, its the kind of thing a bar-room bouncer or schoolyard bully would do.

JDG, About the lockbox. I'm too lazy to go back over the posts, but it has been said they had a lockbox so I assumed they did. If they did not, great.

How do we no there is no succession plan in place for the business? There is a President or CEO. It’s not like Apotex was a one person operation.

How do we no there is no succession plan in place for the business? There is a President or CEO. It’s not like Apotex was a one person operation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/apotex-barry-sherman-succession-1.4462150
[h=1]Apotex says succession plan for founder Barry Sherman was in place 5 years ago[/h][h=2]Jeremy Desai has been president and CEO of Apotex Inc. since 2014[/h]
"Barry had developed a robust succession plan which he began implementing five years ago when he stepped down as CEO," Apotex spokesman Jordan Berman said in an email Friday.

"From that point on until his tragic death, Dr. Sherman was no longer involved in day-to-day operations at Apotex rather, focused on some specific aspects of the business."

JDG, About the lockbox. I'm too lazy to go back over the posts, but it has been said they had a lockbox so I assumed they did. If they did not, great.

No problem. Thanks for the reply. Seeing as we're on thread 5, its not lazy to not bother. lol IMO

As per ^^^ post, thanks, it was Brian Greenspan surmising. I remember having a very close look at both the door and the realtors sign.
Pretty certain it was an exclusive listing. IMO

I think Mr. Greenspan was throwing out 'ideas' that are possible, same as TPS threw out 'ideas' of crime scene before having autopsies. IMO

If there was a lock box, why did the realtor go around to set up a showing? Obviously, she needed to clear it all with Honey/Barry before showing the house. IMO

Thank you BUF.

No problem. Thanks for the reply. Seeing as we're on thread 5, its not lazy to not bother. lol IMO

As per ^^^ post, thanks, it was Brian Greenspan surmising. I remember having a very close look at both the door and the realtors sign.

I think Mr. Greenspan was throwing out 'ideas' that are possible, same as TPS threw out 'ideas' of crime scene before having autopsies. IMO

If there was a lock box, why did the realtor go around to set up a showing? Obviously, she needed to clear it all with Honey/Barry before showing the house. IMO

Thank you BUF.

Sometimes with large houses, or ones with lots of features, the listing realtor will be there for the showing. They can give a guided tour with a little more salesmanship than the purchasers’ realtor. Some clients also want their realtor there at all times. A property like this isn’t going to be shown too frequently, and with a juicy commission it’s no hardship for the listing agent to do all the showings.

Thank you BUF.

IIRC, there were also some early articles saying that the realtor was trying to get a hold of the Shermans, and the realtor went there to get ready to do an open house when the bodies were discovered. News changes...just like now it has been reported that the maid was with the realtor when the Shermans were discovered...so who knows what the real story is.

I would assume the lockbox was immediately taken off when the discovery was made.

I’d have thought the family would have released a new statement by now.
If the latest information is correct I can see why the police initially thought murder/ suicide, if they found a pool of blood elsewhere and Honey with facial injuries large enough to produce that much blood and Barry with no visible injuries.

I agree, if markings on the wrists is the only reason Klatt; et. al believe there is evidence of a professional hit/contract killing. His team is experienced and should know better than that. Personally, I'd view the wrist ties and belts as indications of premeditation, but not necessarily a professional hit.

Contrary to current consensus, I see no evidence so far that the Sherman double homicide was done by professional hitmen.

I wonder whether the unusual method of restraining the victims with their coats might have been misinterpreted as some kind of professionalism? IMO, its the kind of thing a bar-room bouncer or schoolyard bully would do.

Agree about the coat sleeves thing. Have seen high school kids do this during a fight.

Christie Blatchford:
Private investigators in Sherman case share police penchant for leaks
If it wasn’t a story so irredeemably sad and awful, it might be funny. Instead, it’s merely rich with irony

But Saturday, all manner of lurid details about the couple’s deaths — that their wrists had been bound; that they were wearing winter coats that would have immobilized their arms; that they may have died a day or two before the discovery of the bodies; that Mrs. Sherman struggled with her killer or killers and was found lying in a pool of her own blood, and that it all looked like the work of professional killers or like a “contract killing” — were splashed all over the Star and the CBC website.
Again, the information was unattributed, sources described this way by the Star, “People providing information for this story are not identified as they were not authorized to discuss the case,” and at the CBC simply as “a source with direct knowledge of the parallel probe…”

Thus far, it appears, they’re doing a bang-up job, right down to allegedly unauthorized leaks of information — and considerably more of it, too.

Team Sherman has a complement of seven, counting Greenspan, compared with the Toronto force, which has more than 7,000 employees, officers and civilians.

Perhaps the private team can take another leaf out of the TPS playbook, and simply clam up until they have something to say to which they will attach their names.

Full article: http://nationalpost.com/opinion/chr...-sherman-case-share-police-penchant-for-leaks

Thanks. Someone on the last page said their was no succession plan and I wonder where they got that idea.
Hi Tighthead, Reuters had an article on it and I remember seeing similar headlines from other publications as well. Reuters’ reliability is pretty good, so I believed the headline to be correct. Looking at the link provided by dotr, the article about the robust succession plan came out the following day.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKBN1EF2YF-OCABS?utm_source=34553&utm_medium=partner
Business News
December 21, 2017 / 2:28 PM / a month ago
Succession doubts cloud Apotex future after billionaire owner's death
Canadian pharmaceuticals billionaire Barry Sherman failed to implement a succession plan at his Apotex business before his death last week, two business associates told Reuters, potentially leaving it vulnerable to takeover approaches.
Re-reading it now, further down in the article Apotex’s response by email is contradictory to the headline and I either skipped it or discounted it back then. My bad.

Sometimes with large houses, or ones with lots of features, the listing realtor will be there for the showing. They can give a guided tour with a little more salesmanship than the purchasers’ realtor. Some clients also want their realtor there at all times. A property like this isn’t going to be shown too frequently, and with a juicy commission it’s no hardship for the listing agent to do all the showings.
This is true for a lot of homes, not even just large or exclusive listings. Some listing agents are really personable. I remember when my parents we selling our home, our listing agent always confirmed showings through us so we could prepare, make plans for the day, etc. and she was always present for those showings. This was a very modest home in the Toronto area as well. She was just a nice, wholesome realtor, and that's the relationship she had with my parents.

Thank you BUF.
That's normal. Sometimes the owners give their schedule (basically saying - you can come during this time of day without advance warning), but usually there isn't a showing unless it's confirmed with the owners first. The realtor doesn't want the owners to be home, eating dinner or something when the potential buyers come by.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member