VA VA - Judith Hofferman, 33, Fairfax Station, 3 March 1980

Pseudonymph

Reaction score
I'm adding this thread because I have made a possible match and submitted it to the authorities. They replied that they will definitely look into it. Meanwhile, I am posting this interesting case and the possible match I found:

While browsing a new search engine (Reveal) that allows you to look for missing people and unidentified persons, I unexpectedly came across one that I think could be a match.

Judith Hofferman went missing from Fairfax Station in March 1980. A skeleton was found in a shallow grave in Rockingham County in November 1980.

There’s a reconstruction that looks similar to photos I’ve found online of Ms. Hofferman, and the height and age are a close match.

Hofferman is not listed as a rule-out for this unidentified person. The skeleton also showed signs of having given birth, and Ms. Hofferman had two children.

Here is Ms. Hofferman’s NamUs link: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/30902/
Here is the unidentified person’s NamUs page: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6249

Hofferman’s page doesn’t have any pictures on it, but there are some online including this one: https://journals.tdl.org/watchbird/index.php/watchbird/article/view/1948/1919 (scroll down within the newsletter to see her picture) She really looks like the original reconstruction of the unidentified person, which was given a brown wig.

What do you all think?

It's astonishing how many 'dots' need connecting!!!

Great find on the pic in the newsletter, wow - so just wondering, do you suppose that would be her DH placing the missing ad with $1000 reward & his contact info???

As for the photos, I think the noses certainly appear very similar...hopefully someone else will weigh-in. I'm not good at this. :blushing:

The UID is very far from Judith's car, if it was left in Washington - is that where they mean by listing it found at National Airport???

Cuz one might have to start to already wonder how she got out to Rawley Springs on her own. Will watch for your update once you hear back from authorities.

Good job making the connection.

If you had a body to get rid of and were driving from NoVA, Rockingham County is only a couple hours of away down the highway and very rural. In the scenario that I imagine, she was killed near home and dumped in Rawley Springs.

If you look around online there's more about this case, but none of it is MSM so I can't post it here. Many people were/are very suspicious of the husband. There are more pics of Judy too but only this one has her name on it.

Hey, I wonder if that reward still stands? :thinking:

I hate to admit it but I figured as much.

I will look around some more, dig a little deeper.

Hard to know if DH would still pay the reward :waitasec: We shall see how this shakes out. :facepalm:

Judith Carol Hofferman – The Charley Project

hofferman_judith.jpg

• Missing Since 03/03/1980
  • Missing From Fairfax, Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Age 33 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 100 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Hofferman's ears are pierced.

Details of Disappearance

Hofferman was last seen in Fairfax, Virginia on March 3, 1980. She has never been heard from again. After her disappearance, her 1971 Volkswagen was found in the Reagan National Airport parking lot. Few details are available in her case.

Missing person from 1980

m4UmNJ2.jpg

More information and an additional photo of Judith

Posted by: justice4judy ()
Date: August 06, 2015 12:46AM

In 1980 Judith (Judy) Hofferman went missing. It was a cold and snowy night... Her car was later found at Dulles Airport. There has been no trace of her since. All checks on her Social Security Number and Credit Cards have shown absolutely no activity.

There has been no mention in the media, no search efforts for this young mother of two small children... A boy (Approx age 7) and toddler girl (Approx age 5).
Judy was married at the time to a Fairfax Attorney whom she met in High School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Judy's parents had passed away in a car accident, leaving a sizable inheritance to Judy, their sole heir. From all accounts, Judy used her inheritance to put her husband through Law School, and to build her dream home in the desirable Washington DC suburb of Fairfax Station. The over 4000 square foot home situated on several quiet, wooded acres was the last place anyone has seen Judy alive. Judy loved animals, and raised parrots, pedigreed cats, had a German Shepard, and even had a goat, she was all to happy to share the fresh milk with you if you were so inclined. Judy not only raised Cats and Birds, but if she sold an animal to you, she also continued to offer her expert advice and support. I have always searched online for Judy, and have found it very odd, that after 25 years when I first realized that there was absolutely no trace of any search efforts for this woman, even on missing persons websites such as "Namus" or the DOE Network... Not even a mention on Fairfax VA Police website... And then to make things even odder, everything I posted online was wiped away.

I started posting, contacting the Cold Case Detective and doing all the research I could... I felt so sorry for Judy, and her children... Two young, innocent children that had the love of their mother... a sweet loving woman. Their lives were forever fractured by a completely self absorbed, selfish egotistical monster... They were told their mother simply left them in the middle of the night, to pursuit a life of chasing parrots in the Amazon... Yet there was no sign of any flights booked in any Airport... Those that new Judy, new she wouldn't, that she couldn't have left her two beautiful children, or her beloved animals. Thank you for taking the time to read this post! if you have any information on this case please contact the Fairfax County VA Cold Case unit. and share on this site.

Last edited:
Wait a minute... There was body found in Fairfax Station in May 2020 in "an advanced state of decomposition." I recently replied to a comment about it in Katelin Akens thread a few weeks ago. The last update from FCPD was about a week after the body was found but had no additional info. Body was found off Lee Chapel Rd... This is approx 5 miles from an address associated with Judith in FFX Station.

Nothing in NAMUS but it's very strange to me that there would not be an update from Fairfax. How advanced of a state of decomp was the body in? Maybe it's a long shot, but maybe it's not.

As of June 11, 2020 FCPD tweeted in response to someone asking for an update:

"Good afternoon, the case remains active. The detectives are awaiting further information from the medical examiner. Any additional updates will be posted on our blog"

Detectives Investigate after Decomposed Body Found in Fairfax Station

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-m...-police-investigating-after-body-found-woods/

Fairfax Station crime: Hiker finds Decomposed body in woods | wusa9.com

I know it's a long shot since this doe was found in Mississippi, but everything else fits IMO. And she's not in the exclusions list.

Attachments

• Original (1).jpg
    Original (1).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Original (2).jpg
    Original (2).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors