Name: O'Shea Kathleen Mary
D.O.B: 1961
Height: 171 cm
Complexion: Tanned
Eye Colour: Green
Hair Colour: Dark
Build: Slim
Last Heard: December 2005, Atherton

Katie's daughter Lily has this plea - "She has left 5 children behind, the youngest was only 11 at the time. I love my mother dearly and would do anthing to have her back here with her children where she belongs, please, I have waited 20 months to find a site like this that is not a police site but someone that
knows missing people do exist not just the police...please help my family find her and we will be forever in your thanks"

Below: This is similar to Katie's distinctive red handbag - have you seen someone with a bag like this?

attachment.php

Fears for missing Melbourne mum
January 19, 2006

‘POLICE hold fears for a Melbourne woman missing in north Queensland since December.

Kathleen Mary O'Shea, 44, visited the Mareeba region, west of Cairns, in December but failed to catch a return flight to Melbourne earlier this week.

Police said Ms O'Shea was intending to visit Ravenshoe with her 11-year-old daughter to be present on January 9 for the birth of a grandchild but did not turn up for the occasion.

Earlier, she had been dropped off at Atherton by her son on December 29 after saying she wanted to play pool at a local hotel before taking a taxi to visit a friend at Mareeba.

The friend says Ms O'Shea did not turn up.

She was reported missing on January 17 after failing to catch a return flight to Melbourne booked for January 13.

Her daughter is now being cared for by her son.

Police say there are serious concerns for Ms O'Shea's welfare as she has limited funds and very few friends or associates in the area.’

Read more at:

http://www.australianmissingpersonsregister.com/OShea.htm

Murderer interview over 2005 disappearance
JANUARY 23, 20184:54pm
news.com.au/Australian Associated Press

‘Queensland detectives hope to question a convicted rapist and murderer as they continue investigations into the 2005 disappearance of a Melbourne mother who vanished from the state's north.

Katie O'Shea was last seen at Atherton, southwest of Cairns, in December 2005 and Queensland police have travelled to Perth to interview Francis John Wark, who was on Monday convicted of murdering West Australian teenager Hayley Dodd.

They believe the 61-year-old may be able to shed light on what happened to Ms O'Shea after she left a bottle shop in the company of two men.

"It's a current police investigation," a Queensland police spokeswoman said.

"It's up to him if he wants to talk."

At a coronial inquest at Cairns in June 2014, Coroner Jane Bentley found the 44-year-old mother died on or soon after December 29, 2005 from undetermined causes.

Ms Bentley considered five possible explanations for Ms O'Shea's disappearance, including that she had intentionally vanished, committed suicide, died from natural causes, overdosed on drugs with an unknown person disposing of her body, or that she was killed.

Following the evidence provided at the inquest, including testimony from 17 witnesses, Ms Bentley discounted the first four theories as possibilities.

"The cause of her death cannot be determined, but it is most likely that an unknown person or persons with whom she came into contact either at the Atherton Hotel or soon after she left there, caused her death and disposed of her body," Ms Bentley found.

Wark, who has served time over a 2007 Queensland rape, was found by WA Supreme Court Justice Lindy Jenkins to have lured Hayley into a ute near rural Badgingarra late on the night of July 29, 1999.

"The accused was the type of person who would be likely to pick up a lone female hitchhiker and violently and seriously assault her," Justice Jenkins said.

"This would be for the purpose of subduing her or overpowering her so that she was incapable of resisting him and so that he could rape her."’

Read more at:

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...e/news-story/d50d729bc08bb344bfcb8ec33122d3bc

"According to a the findings of a coronial inquest handed down in 2014, Ms O’Shea visited a bottle shop that night at the Atherton Hotel, and left in the company of two men.

That was the last time the 44-year-old was seen.
A coroner ruled in 2014 that Ms O’Shea had died.

Although the cause of her death could not be determined, it was “most likely that an unknown person or persons with whom she came into contact either at the Atherton Hotel or soon after she left there, caused her death and disposed of her body”.

Ms O’Shea’s now 30-year-old daughter, Lily Parmenter, says she had a feeling something was wrong when her mum first disappeared.

“It wasn’t like her to leave and not give any warning as to her whereabouts,” she says.
“We spoke the day before … and she seemed fine.”

Ms Parmenter, who describes her mum as “funny” and “loving”, believes Ms O’Shea was taken by someone.

“I don’t know who and I don’t know why,” she says. “I think that someone did take her and the thing that kills me the most is the fact we haven’t found a body.

“I want to be able to bury my mum with a bit of dignity. It kills me to think what her final moments could have been. It’s been the source of nightmares for me.”

Ms Parmenter says she hopes there is someone who knows what happened to her mum and would be willing to speak out. “If they’re protecting someone, they shouldn’t be protecting anyone.”

“They should be trying to help five kids trying to get some closure. Nothing is too small in terms of details,” she says.

Police have no new information on Ms O’Shea’s disappearance."

https://amp.couriermail.com.au/news...e/news-story/cdcfdedb1e1c3b6e36f9c92c922ff1a4
d58f7c4b492dc978116015ed01fe8ffe.jpg

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...appearance-linked-to-killer-francis-john-wark

Hayley Dodd's killer linked to 13-year cold case

By Cassandra Bain

Sean Thompson

Feb 1, 2018

Hayley Dodd’s killer linked to cold case

"Already behind bars for the brutal murder of a teenage girl, Francis John Wark is set to be questioned by police over the disappearance of Katie O'Shea from a pub in far north Queensland 13 years ago"

Why was wark connected to the Katie O'Shea case? Is this based on the fact he raped "Andrea" in the same area as Katie went missing? The police must have something linking him. I wonder if the bottle shop guy was able to identify him years later as one of the two men Katie was with. MOO

Why was wark connected to the Katie O'Shea case? Is this based on the fact he raped "Andrea" in the same area as Katie went missing? The police must have something linking him. I wonder if the bottle shop guy was able to identify him years later as one of the two men Katie was with. MOO

It will be interesting to see what comes from the investigators’ interview(s) with Mr Wark. I wonder if he will cop to Katie’s murder or, indeed, if the Queensland ODPP will take the matter to trial.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/c...e/news-story/24a38641add5d7e9c369cc0688726f9d

A story of how a drunken family member allegedly confessed to murdering Katie. MOO
Good find Alise .

Quote from the article :
"The court heard the man who spoke yesterday suffered from a drug-induced mental illness and had spent time in a psychiatric hospital but he testified that he had never had hallucinations or heard voices, and wasn’t currently using drugs. “I wasn’t affected by drugs at the time (the relative allegedly confessed) however I was using drugs on an ongoing basis,” he said."

https://honey.nine.com.au/2018/04/11/10/23/60-minutes-katie-oshea

“Parameter believes her mother fatefully crossed paths with Wark the night she went to play pool. While Katie was also known to hitchhike, Lily believes her mother was coaxed into Wark’s car because he was a familiar face.”

“Wark was a Millaa Millaa local,” she said.

Sounds like Katie might have been familiar with Wark. He knew her son. So maybe she got into a car with him because he was familiar to her. MOO

https://jade.io/article/79701

Wark trial in QLD

"CITATION:*R v Wark*[2008] QCA 172PARTIES:*R* v
WARK, Francis John*
(applicant/appellant)FILE*NO/S:*CA No 340 of 2007 DC No 651 of 2007 DC No 547 of 2007DIVISION:*Court of AppealPROCEEDING:*Sentence ApplicationORIGINATING*
COURT:*District Court at CairnsDELIVERED*ON:*27 June 2008DELIVERED*AT:*BrisbaneHEARING*DATE:*26 May 2008JUDGES:*McMurdo P, Mackenzie AJA and Cullinane J*
Separate reasons for judgment of each member of the Court,*
each concurring as to the orders madeORDER:"

‘[T]here was a monster in the area. He frequented that same area. The possibility is that he could have done it too. I don’t know what’s worse, that she could have been killed by a family member or killed in a vicious attack.”’

‘The “monster” Ms Parmenter [Ms O’Shea’s daughter] is referring to is Francis ‘Frank’ Wark - the convicted rapist who is serving a life sentence for the murder of missing Western Australian teenager Hayley Dodd.

Like Ms O’Shea, Hayley has never been heard from or ever found.

Ms Parmenter claims her mother could have come into contact with Wark during her visit in Queensland as they had allegedly met at a party when he lived in the state and one of her brothers had a connection in common with Wark. But, she can’t be certain.’

‘These days, Ms Parmenter is retraining to become a criminologist. She hopes one day to join the Australian Federal Police to work in the Missing Person’s Unit, and hopefully as a colleague to her mother’s case detective before he retires.

She is also working on raising a financial reward for information that could lead to information about her mum’s cold case.

“I’ve tried appealing to common sense and common decency. She’s not the face on a missing poster. She was a mother of five, a grandmother,” she said.

“The best way I can repay her for that is continuing to try and find answers for her. There isn’t anything I wouldn’t do to find answers for her.”
Daughter’s plan to solve family cold case mystery

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back