Parents warned over prevalence of disturbing ‘elsagate’ content on YouTube

Bohemian

Reaction score
Parents warned over prevalence of disturbing ‘elsagate’ content targeting kids on YouTube
news.com.au
NOVEMBER 28, 2017 8:56am

‘CYBER safety expert and former undercover online detective Brett Lee has seen the worst there is to see on the internet.

But even he has been left confounded by a new and disturbing trend of online content which profits by targeting young kids with videos featuring popular children’s characters in sexual and violent scenarios.

“As a detective, I used to pretend to be a child on the internet. Back in the early days of these sorts of investigations I would assume the identity of different children online. I did that for about five years and arrested a lot of child sex offenders,” he told news.com.au.

“So I have a very good understanding, in some ways, of how it feels to be a young person on the internet.”

Back then he was primarily hanging out on sites like MySpace and MSN Messenger, but the internet is a different place these days, and so is the experience on offer to young kids.

Mr Lee now works to educate parents and teachers about the dangers posed to young children who are left unsupervised on the web. Lately he has been warning about a disturbing trend of content known as elsagate.

The name refers to the princess character from popular childrens movie Frozen who often appears in the bizarre content, either in cartoon form or a person dressed as the character.

“We just came across this and thought it was really interesting,” he said. “I’ve started talking to parents at schools about it over the past week, no parents I’ve spoken to are aware of it.”

While many parents would likely be shocked to see the so-called elsagate videos, awareness of the perverted content has grown this year and YouTube — where most of it resides — has vowed to try harder to police the clips which at first glance look harmless but contain very disturbing themes.

“I’m not a tech expert, I’m a detective. But it appears this is slipping under the algorithms whereby it’s thinking that it is content suitable for children but there is some very disturbing content there,” Mr Lee said.’

Read more at:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...e/news-story/8d5c8b211781e7c5f8599b52f8078260

This is not so new....only another medium...growing more violent, and "we" seeing the most horrible things on the Internet (killing, rapes, dead people, horrific images) and we get used to it....even wanting more. I remember from the "old" days that popular comic books were transferred to real sex books. very explicit.....actually in those days relatively innocent...but nowadays......and don't get me wrong...I really don't have a problem with sex per se. lt's natural and ok, but some things just harm you, your perception what is "normal" and our children. I could go on and on.....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back