Australia - 'Dedicated' detective John Breda fights for life after Maroubra stabbing

Bohemian

Reaction score
Dedicated' detective John Breda fights for life after Maroubra stabbing
ABC News
EXCLUSIVE BY POLICE REPORTER JESSICA KIDD
UPDATED ABOUT 5 HOURS AGO [as at 05:58 AEDT 27 January 2018)

attachment.php

PHOTO Detective Sergeant John Breda suffered internal abdominal injuries and a laceration to his liver.
ABC NEWS: ALEX MCDONALD

‘The veteran police officer stabbed by an alleged sex offender during a violent confrontation in Sydney's east is a "dedicated" detective who is passionate about helping abused children, colleagues say.

Detective Sergeant John Breda was stabbed while attempting to arrest Nick Newman, 33, over alleged sex offences at the Maroubra Junction Hotel.

The 45-year-old officer suffered internal abdominal injuries and a laceration to his liver and was taken to St Vincents Hospital in a critical condition.

He had surgery for his injuries overnight and remains in a critical condition.’

Read more at:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-26/john-breda-fights-for-life-after-maroubra-stabbing/9366034

Maroubra police stabbing: Man shot dead after attacking officer in pub
ABC News
BY RILEY STUART AND PHILIPPA MCDONALD
UPDATED ABOUT 8 HOURS AGO (as at 05:03 AEDT 27 January 2018)

‘A man wanted over alleged child sex offences has been shot dead after stabbing a senior police detective in the beer garden of the Maroubra Junction Hotel in Sydney's south-east.

Key points:

• Nick Newman, 33, was wanted over alleged child sex offences
  • He was shot dead near the Maroubra Junction Hotel on Australia Day
  • The senior detective he stabbed is fighting for his life in hospital

Witnesses reported hearing "four of five gun shots" as Nick Newman, 33, was killed about 3.25pm at the hotel on Anzac Parade.

The detective sergeant was one of three officers who were there to arrest the man as part of an investigation with the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Division.

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Walton said the situation escalated quickly and the 45-year-old officer was stabbed in the chest and abdomen.

He was taken to St Vincent's Hospital where he remains in a critical condition.’

Read more at:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...bing-police-officer-near-maroubra-pub/9365506

Bless DS John Breda. Sending prayers of strength and comfort to John, his loved ones and his NSWPOL brothers and sisters in blue at this tragic time and always x

CRITICALLY wounded detective John Breda’s condition in hospital has improved slightly but senior police warn he is still not out of danger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This ......Newman had been due to front Penrith Local Court on Wednesday on six counts of rape and one count each of indecent assault against a child as well as one count of intentionally choke a person with recklessness.

After he failed to show up the court issued an arrest warrant and police issued a public appeal as they hunted for him.

Child Abuse and Sex Crime Squad Sgt Breda, a veteran of the force who has spent time in the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad, and his two colleagues arrived at the hotel about 3.15pm yesterday and tried to arrest Newman in the beer garden when things went wrong.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...r/news-story/76a4c0a2bdc95a1510681509a10a5b67

God love our cops.
C’Mon John fight through this.

I know several retired cops who have ‘seen what no human should see’.
They lived it every day then and they live it still now.
They prefer not to speak about the memories and the frequent nightmares but just ask their wives, they re-live it with them every day.

God bless our cops.

CRITICALLY wounded detective John Breda’s condition in hospital has improved slightly but senior police warn he is still not out of danger.

Thanks for the update, tgy x

This ......Newman had been due to front Penrith Local Court on Wednesday on six counts of rape and one count each of indecent assault against a child as well as one count of intentionally choke a person with recklessness.

After he failed to show up the court issued an arrest warrant and police issued a public appeal as they hunted for him.

Child Abuse and Sex Crime Squad Sgt Breda, a veteran of the force who has spent time in the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad, and his two colleagues arrived at the hotel about 3.15pm yesterday and tried to arrest Newman in the beer garden when things went wrong.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...r/news-story/76a4c0a2bdc95a1510681509a10a5b67

‘Suicide by cop’. Monster.

Maroubra pub shooting: Decorated police sergeant victim after being stabbed by child sex offender
Ava Benny-Morrison, Janet Fife-Yeomans, Ashleigh Gleeson, Sarah Crawford and Sam McBeath, The Daily Telegraph
33 minutes ago (as at 17:00 AEDT 27 January 2018)

‘CRITICALLY wounded detective John Breda’s condition in hospital has improved slightly but senior police warn he is still not out of danger.’

‘Acting NSW Police Commissioner Dave Hudson visited the hospital today and was briefed by medical staff about the maimed officer’s condition.

“I can indicate Det Sgt Breda is still in a very serious but stable condition,” Mr Hudson said.

“Obviously we are not medical experts but we have spoken to them.

“They are comfortable with his progress so far however he is by no means out of danger.”

Police Minister Troy Grant, also visited the Darlinghurst hospital on Saturday, thanked the brilliant hospital staff, paramedics and police who helped Det Sgt Breda.

“There actions have been lifesaving and we are forever in their debt,” he said.

Police Association of NSW president Scott Weber said that the detective almost paid the “ultimate sacrifice”.

“Let’s make sure that every single person in NSW has thoughts and prayers tonight for those officers but especially the officer that is in hospital that’s fighting for his life,” he said.

Read more at:

This is beyond tragic. OMG

Thank you for keeping us up to date. I'll keep checking back to see how John Breda is doing.

Our hearts and thoughts go out to Detective Anderson's family and friends.

Keeping good thoughts for Detective Breda.

This is so shocking. What a piece of filth Newman was.

This is beyond tragic. OMG

Thank you for keeping us up to date. I'll keep checking back to see how John Breda is doing.

Our hearts and thoughts go out to Detective Anderson's family and friends.

Keeping good thoughts for Detective Breda.

This is so shocking. What a piece of filth Newman was.

Thanks Tricia. The entire event is very upsetting. I can’t believe the contempt shown for police and the violence inflicted on such a dedicated detective who gives his life (literally almost) in the service of our most vulnerable. Just goes to show that a predator is always at it’s most dangerous when it is caught.

More details:

”He was trying to dig the knife into his throat': Child rapist NEVER planned on going to jail and told police to 'shoot' before he was gunned down at a Sydney pub after stabbing a detective
By Emily Pidgeon and Brooke Rolfe and Belinda Cleary and Ben Hill For Daily Mail Australia
01:59 AEDT 28 Jan 2018, updated 02:38 AEDT 28 Jan 2018

• Bystanders helped stop heroic cop bleeding after he was stabbed twice in pub
  • Detective Sergeant John Breda was knifed by a child rapist he was arresting
  • Sergeant Breda called for help from bystanders who applied pressure to wound
  • Paedophile Nick Newman then began cutting his own throat with a knife in pub
  • Officers stormed the Maroubra pub and shot Newman, 33, dead in beer garden
  • The decorated detective, 45, is fighting for life at St Vincent's Hospital
‘Heroic patrons came to the rescue of a wounded detective after the paedophile he was arresting stabbed him in the chest at a Sydney pub - as it's revealed the child rapist never planned to make it out of the hotel alive.

'The police officer saw me through the window, through the door and screamed at me, ''come out, help me, I've been stabbed twice, put pressure on my wound','' bystander Brett Douglas told 7 News.’

‘The routine arrest quickly turned fatal, with officers storming the pub as Newman cut his own throat with the knife.

'He was lying on the ground and he was just covered in blood and had the knife underneath his throat and was just kinda, like not a hundred miles an hour, trying to dig it into his throat,' Mr Douglas said.’

‘Witnesses heard someone shouting 'shoot' in Mandarin before Sgt Breda's fellow officers opened fire, according to The Daily Telegraph.’

‘'One thing was clear, there was no way that guy was going to jail,' a law enforcement source told the paper.’

Read more at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5319567/Policeman-stabbed-child-rapist-saved-man-pub.html

Stabbed officer continues brave fight as focus turns to attacker's mental state
The Sydney Morning Herald
Dan Proudman, James Robertson
6 hrs ago (as at 22:34 AEDT 28 January 2018)

‘Decorated detective John Breda continues to show small signs of improvement after being stabbed while attempting to arrest an alleged paedophile who was shot and killed in the ensuing struggle.

However, the condition of Detective Sergeant Breda, a popular and highly respected officer based in the Child Abuse Squad, remains serious after undergoing a series of long operations in St Vincent's Hospital in a bid to save his life.’

‘An autopsy is expected to be performed on Monday to confirm how many times Newman was shot by two officers who drew their Glocks after their colleague was attacked.

Toxicology could take weeks to confirm whether Newman had illicit substances in his system, which could point to his state of mind.

Detectives will also need to speak to any medical practitioners who could help describe Newman's mental state before the shooting or whether he was failing to take any medication.’

‘Senior police sources told Fairfax Media it was too early to confirm whether Newman, who knew he was wanted by police, had a death wish and wanted to be shot by police when he was confronted during the routine arrest.’

‘The homicide squad, the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission and the coroner are investigating the shooting.’

Read more at:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/stabbed-o...o-attackers-mental-state-20180128-h0ph19.html

Definitely sounds like suicide by cop. What a filthy, rotten, good for nothing coward. At least he's no longer stealing oxygen.

Definitely sounds like suicide by cop. What a filthy, rotten, good for nothing coward. At least he's no longer stealing oxygen.

I dunno after reading the DM story (above).

ETA. I tend to think it’s more of a case of ‘If I’m going down, I’m going to take a few cops with me.’

I agree with your sentiments.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back