Sago Mine Survivor UPDATES THREAD

indigomood

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - The survivor of the Sago Mine disaster is slowly learning to speak again, answering questions and learning to articulate words at a rehabilitation hospital, a family spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Randal L. McCloy Jr., 26, sometimes responds with a single word, but also uses phrases to answer relatives and therapists, said Aly Goodwin Gregg, a spokeswoman for McCloy's family. Some of his communication is clear, but much is still difficult to understand.

link to article

Aww he's getting better, that's wonderful. I wonder if he knows what happened to him.

indigomood said:
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - The survivor of the Sago Mine disaster is slowly learning to speak again, answering questions and learning to articulate words at a rehabilitation hospital, a family spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Randal L. McCloy Jr., 26, sometimes responds with a single word, but also uses phrases to answer relatives and therapists, said Aly Goodwin Gregg, a spokeswoman for McCloy's family. Some of his communication is clear, but much is still difficult to understand.

link to article

Bless his heart, I wish him and his family
peace and love!

EXCLUSIVE:Transcript of Interview with Anna McCloy and Russell Biundo, M.D.
Posted 3/1/2006 05:53 PM

*snippet*

Dr. Russell Biundo (Randy McCloy’s Doctor)

How’s Randy doing?

“He’s progressed amazingly well. I think he’s shocked almost everyone who’s been involved in his care. And he continues to shock all of us. His recovery has been unparalleled. We’ve never seen anyone with that degree of brain injury recover so quickly.”

Can you give me specifics? What things are you seeing from him that are so shocking and amazing?

“First and foremost, he’s able to speak. He’s able to articulate.”

“His kidney function has improved back to normal. His respiratory status is normal. His breathing tube has been removed.”

“Is he having to relearn how to do simple things? Or is that part of memory that he’s kept?

“He has difficulty maintaining a full conversation like you and I are, but he’s moving in that direction. For example, I’ll walk into the room and I’ll say ‘hi Randy’, and he’ll say ‘hi Dr. B’.”

“He’s able to remember things from a day to day basis. That’s important because he’s starting to form memory, which he couldn’t do before.”

“This is like a new life for him. It’s like a renaissance. It’s like a resurrection basically. He’s a new person, a different person. The way he’s thinking now, the new memories he’s forming.”

“Some of the old memory. I’m not certain how much he remembers. It’s difficult to tell at this point, especially in regard to the accident and all that. We’re not clear on that.”

link to article

His story is amazing! He was saved for a reason, IMO. God bless him and his family!

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/wireStory?id=1678092

In the two months since the blast at Sago Mine, lone survivor Randal McCloy Jr. has emerged from a coma and is learning to walk and talk again. Though he knows he is called a miracle, he hasn't been told why.
He knows it was an explosion that left him with brain damage and other injuries. But he has never asked about the fate of his 12 fellow miners, and wife Anna has not told him that they perished, most slowly succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning as they awaited rescue.

"We're just going to wait until he basically comes around completely before we come out and tell him, you know, that he's the only one," Anna McCloy told The Associated Press Tuesday.

Well-wishers have been sending cards and QSLs to McCloy at PO Box 223, Philippi, WV 26435...

scroll down page for article...

http://www.arrl.org/

Also from QRZ.com...
KC8VKZ
Randal L McCloy, Jr
PO BOX 223
Philippi WV 26435
USA

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The sole survivor of the Sago Mine disaster is expected to be released from a rehabilitation hospital and return home Thursday after more than two months of therapy, a family spokeswoman said Tuesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189419,00.html

Awesome news.....what a miracle!

indigomood said:

link to article
Indigomood,
I appreciate this post.
I have a great respect for the family and everyone else in contact with this man for not disclosing the fact that he was the sole survivor.

Matt Lauer is going to interview him tomorrow morning (I think) in a segment titled "Buried Alive."

Sassygerl said:
CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The sole survivor of the Sago Mine disaster is expected to be released from a rehabilitation hospital and return home Thursday after more than two months of therapy, a family spokeswoman said Tuesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189419,00.html

Awesome news.....what a miracle!

Wonderful! Truly a miracle survivor!

I pray that Randall, Anna and the children's lives continue to be blessed!

:woohoo: There's no place like home! :woohoo:

And when Randal McCloy Jr. thinks of the 12 friends and co-workers who slowly succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning after the Jan. 2 explosion at the mine, he pictures them elsewhere.

"I try to leave out all the gory details and stuff like that because I don't like to look at them in that light and that way," he told The Associated Press on Wednesday, a day before he was scheduled to be released from a rehabilitation hospital.

"I just like to picture them saved and in heaven, stuff like that," he said in one of his first interviews. "That's really the best way you can remember somebody."

http://www.wral.com/apnationalnews/8356245/detail.html

randy.jpg

He looks GREAT! Welcome home Randy!!!!!!!

Interview coming up on the Today show. I saw a clip and wow he is doing great!!!!!

Randall just spoke at the PC and said he'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. That was after Anna read a very nice prepared speech, remembering all the other Sago victims and their families.

Randall is another reason to be thankful and REJOICE!!!

MIRACLES happen everyday! We just have to keep our eyes open and observe them! :)

I hope he continues to improve ........

God bless him & his family they still have a lot to over come.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Miner Randal McCloy Heads Home

CREDIT: DALE SPARKS / AP

Randal McCloy, the lone survivor of the Jan. 2 Sago Mine disaster in West Virginia, is getting out of rehab and going home, McCloy and his wife Anna said on Thursday morning.

"I'd just like to thank everybody for their thoughts and prayers" McCloy said at a morning news conference.

In an interview with Matt Lauer that aired on the Today show Thursday, McCloy said his memory of the tragic events in the mine is "pretty clear," but added, "I really don't want to get into the details of it," for fear of upsetting family members of the 12 miners who didn't make it.

*more at link*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back