23-Month-Old Takes Mom's Van For Spin

Michelle Read said:
is this the future for little Sean Preston? :laugh:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/7115564/detail.html
Boy and I thought one of my boys was advanced because he could ride a 2 wheeler at 2.
This is a pretty crazy story. But it seems like when I was young there was always a story about little ones backing the car out like this. I think one of my sisters did it.
No matter how much new ignition technology we have, it's all for naught if moms leave the kids in the car when it's running.

This mom had better keep him right by her side at all times!

the atricle says no charges were filled!!!!! Why not? Shouldn't child endanergment
charges been filled againts the mother? She left a baby alone in a car!! If thats not bad enough the car obvioulsy had the keys left in it and might have been left on? What isn't this child endangerment???

mjak

I figure he must have been pretty advanced just to get out of his car seat. Was he really locked in it? The car must have been left running, as I REALLY doubt this child could have started it himself. Sure sounds dangerous to me...

When will these stupid women (men) learn. Remember the boy who was left while the mother ran in the store (keys in ignition and engine running as though that somehow says I'll be right back- sort of like turning on the emergency lights like that means it's okay to park in the firelane).......the car was stolen, she tried to grab her son out of the car seat and the carjacker raced off letting the child drag on the freeway for miles as he was shredded to pieces.............HELLO!!!

God people are stupid and she should have been sited or sterilized. Moron.

My fiancee's mom told me that he took her car for a spin when he was three and crashed into a garage. Luckily he was ok...

SanQuentinvisitor said:
God people are stupid and she should have been sited or sterilized. Moron.

I agree. The stupidity of some people is unbelievable.

I am told that I did something similar when I was a baby. I'll have to ask my mother how old I was. She left me in the car for a minute and I crawled up and released the brake. The car rolled forward and hit the front of the house. I have no memory of it, but for years the brickwork lining the flower bed in front of the house was broken--left as a reminder. This was in the early 60s before seatbelts were even mandatory in cars.

I thought the story was cute because it had a happy ending but as a mother I too wondered why she didn't take the child in the store with her? Probably too lazy to the point that she was careless. I thought of the car jacking and abduction too and she needs a swift kick in her a$$, wonder how often she does this? My niece left her son in the car and he locked her out, climbed right out of his car seat (most kids know how to unfasten them) she had to have the fire dept and police get the car open.

lostfaith said:
Guess I should have been sterilized and had my kids taken away.

My post is # 50 in this thread.

Interesting thread. Ya all should read it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35152

People make mistakes they are not proud of, I did. Thankfully it turned out o.k., I sure learned a lesson.

I wish I was a perfect Mom.
I also did things that would make me go gray in an hour if I really thought about them.
I used to let my DD sit in the car while my Mom and I would go up to a garage sale. Then the Adam Walsh case became public and I never left her alone again, even though the car was always in sight. Just wasn't something my small town would ever think about, until then.
We change our behaviors as society changes and grows (or deteriorates).

I was never up for MOTY anyways. LOL! :innocent:

What if Mr. Child Molester happened by and discovered this kid ALONE IN A FREAKING CAR and decided that he would make a nice toy for a few years? Do parents think they can't just stop using their brains because they're able to spit out a few kids? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

GEZUS!!!!! :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

I was waiting for your reply Jeana, I knew it would be a good one. :) I'm not claiming to be a perfect mother and sure we all make mistakes but surely in our society now shouldn't a parent know better or better yet be scared to death to leave their child unattended in a running vehicle? If it was a dog, lordy be look out! It doesn't surprise me to see such carelessness and I attribute it to laziness. I see it all the time. As a parent maybe my instinct is more protective than some because before I would get out of that car to run into a store I'd be thinking what if?

strach304 said:
I was waiting for your reply Jeana, I knew it would be a good one. :) I'm not claiming to be a perfect mother and sure we all make mistakes but surely in our society now shouldn't a parent know better or better yet be scared to death to leave their child unattended in a running vehicle? If it was a dog, lordy be look out! It doesn't surprise me to see such carelessness and I attribute it to laziness. I see it all the time. As a parent maybe my instinct is more protective than some because before I would get out of that car to run into a store I'd be thinking what if?

Laziness is exactly the right word!!!! One of the first cases I ever worked on was that of a woman who left her daughter in the car when she ran in "for a second" to pay for her gasoline. The little girl decided to follow "mommy" into the store (of course mom was oblivious to this fact). A milk truck was leaving after delivering milk and the little girl was knocked down by its tires and her head was crushed like a walnut. Guess mom won't have to bother with her next time she needs to fill her tank. :mad:

Of course, mom was so distraught, she had to sue the milk company.

I think alot of people that in small towns have a false sense of security. They live in places where crime is low, everyone knows everyone else and they dont watch cable news and read only the small town local paper etc.

I raised my kids in a small town in the midwest. The nearest Interstate was 40 miles away. The paper came out once a week and we didnt have Cable TV. Mothers ran in to pay for their gas, toddlers slept in the back seats of cars during softball games and yes kids walked unattended to school and back home again.
Young kids in small towns still play kick the can and hide and seek at dusk and ride their bikes from one end town the other.

lostfaith said:
Guess I should have been sterilized and had my kids taken away.

My post is # 50 in this thread.

Interesting thread. Ya all should read it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35152

People make mistakes they are not proud of, I did. Thankfully it turned out o.k., I sure learned a lesson.

I wish I was a perfect Mom.
I know I made plenty of mistakes lostfaith. But, our making mistakes doesn't make anyone else's lapses in judgement any better. We are all boneheads from time to time, but it doesn't make it ok just because we validate each other. Rather ,we all blew it. :blushing:
But we also don't have to swing the pendulum the other way. The two choices aren't "perfect" and "shouldn't be allowed to conceive" There is a gray area in between and that is where most of us fall.

Even though we have all made plenty of mistakes, I don't think that precludes us from being aware of and discussing the mistakes of others.

I'm not sure if I said that very well...

I cannot even address the sterilizing issues because any reference to it is just nonsense. We cannot start deciding who is or isn't fit to parent, except in extreme cases and where it is legally possible to do so.

JBean said:
I know I made plenty of mistakes lostfaith. But, our making mistakes doesn't make anyone else's lapses in judgement any better. We are all boneheads from time to time, but it doesn't make it ok just because we validate each other. Rather ,we all blew it. :blushing:
But we also don't have to swing the pendulum the other way. The two choices aren't "perfect" and "shouldn't be allowed to conceive" There is a gray area in between and that is where most of us fall.

Even though we have all made plenty of mistakes, I don't think that precludes us from being aware of and discussing the mistakes of others.

I'm not sure if I said that very well...

I cannot even address the sterilizing issues because any reference to it is just nonsense. We cannot start deciding who is or isn't fit to parent, except in extreme cases and where it is legally possible to do so.

I think you and I have had this discussion before JBean. ;) I have no problem with discussing, it is all about the tone and meaness in the posts that bother me. I know we learn from mistakes, but mistakes and stupid decisions happen. Hopefully, we learn from them. I sure did. But I am not gonna say this mother deserves to be sterilized.

If he couldn't reach the gas petal, he couldn't reach the brake petal either, which is required to switch gears.

You can't just put a car in drive from park without depressing the brake fairly hard while shifting gears.

AND, that's one of the things that makes car seats dangerous when toddlers are locked in cars - the toddlers can't get out of them to help unlock the car and help free themselves from a locked car. This child got out of a carseat, and then reached the brake (but couldn't reach the gas) and got the car in motion.

I don't even know what this story is about.

lostfaith said:
I think you and I have had this discussion before JBean. ;) I have no problem with discussing, it is all about the tone and meaness in the posts that bother me. I know we learn from mistakes, but mistakes and stupid decisions happen. Hopefully, we learn from them. I sure did. But I am not gonna say this mother deserves to be sterilized.
hey at least we are consistent.:p Like I said, the sterilizing business is nonsense to me. I agree with you 100%

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back