Lurker Coming Out

easybz

Reaction score
Hi everyone: I have lurked on this board for a couple of years now - I have followed the Routier case, read most of the information, etc. etc. and have always been on the fence about Darlie's guilt.

The case frustrates me so I usually leave it alone for awhile and come back every now and again to see what is going on. I've recently been in an "off" period, but had "Hush Little Babies" in my nightstand drawer and pulled it out to read again.

So I've been back on re-reading transcripts, statements, etc. and cannot believe this did not jump out at me before. I'm sure it has been discussed here before, but I think her guilt is finally hitting home for me now.

One of the first lines Darin writes is, and I quote "We talked about the business, bills, and how Darlie was having a hard time with taking care of the baby's (all) today."

I can start to see a scenario form - she complains about taking care of the kids and all the housework, etc., etc. and he counters with, what I think the reaction of some men would be, that he works 40 hours a week to bring home the money and all she has to do is take care of the kids and the house. (Haven't we all heard this kind of argument before in our lives?) Hence, the supposed fight, the talk of divorce, and possibly Darlie's ultimate breakdown.

Any thoughts??

easybz said:
Hi everyone: I have lurked on this board for a couple of years now - I have followed the Routier case, read most of the information, etc. etc. and have always been on the fence about Darlie's guilt.

The case frustrates me so I usually leave it alone for awhile and come back every now and again to see what is going on. I've recently been in an "off" period, but had "Hush Little Babies" in my nightstand drawer and pulled it out to read again.

So I've been back on re-reading transcripts, statements, etc. and cannot believe this did not jump out at me before. I'm sure it has been discussed here before, but I think her guilt is finally hitting home for me now.

One of the first lines Darin writes is, and I quote "We talked about the business, bills, and how Darlie was having a hard time with taking care of the baby's (all) today."

I can start to see a scenario form - she complains about taking care of the kids and all the housework, etc., etc. and he counters with, what I think the reaction of some men would be, that he works 40 hours a week to bring home the money and all she has to do is take care of the kids and the house. (Haven't we all heard this kind of argument before in our lives?) Hence, the supposed fight, the talk of divorce, and possibly Darlie's ultimate breakdown.

Any thoughts??
Of course we all have! But I worked then and it followed like this......Yes, I know you work...but all you do is watch kids add 1+1 and color between the lines! How hard is that!?! :eek: (teacher here) But my FIRST reaction was to :slap: :slap: slap the crud out of my husband...NOT to kill my kids.(My first husband passed away while the kids were still fairly young. I wish I had never had a cross word with him! :( ) Sorry...I think there was more to stress behind the killing of these kids. :(

easybz said:

Any thoughts??
Yes, Darin had many subtle ways of pointing out Darlie's problems with the kids. Is it because he secretly wanted to expose her guilt but couldn't because of family pressure? Or was it just a way for him to keep suspicion off of him by shifting it to her?

I am so glad you revealed yourself easybz! I have a morbid fascination with this case and have been lurking on the Darlie board for a good six months. I haven't posted anything to date because I can't hold a candle to the "regulars" who post on this board; their dedication to and knowledge of this case amazes me. I teeter back and forth on the fence as well - wondering if there was an intruder; why the lack of evidence? and if Darlie did it; how did she get so severly bruised on her arms.

Anyway, I think your theory about the Darin/Darlie fight is very logical. Although I cannot, for the life of me, imagine how Darin can come downstairs see his wife stabbing his children and then pull it together enough to plot a cover-up w/ her.

Take it easy on me Darlie-gurus!

KatiesMom said:
I am so glad you revealed yourself easybz! I have a morbid fascination with this case and have been lurking on the Darlie board for a good six months. I haven't posted anything to date because I can't hold a candle to the "regulars" who post on this board; their dedication to and knowledge of this case amazes me. I teeter back and forth on the fence as well - wondering if there was an intruder; why the lack of evidence? and if Darlie did it; how did she get so severly bruised on her arms.

Anyway, I think your theory about the Darin/Darlie fight is very logical. Although I cannot, for the life of me, imagine how Darin can come downstairs see his wife stabbing his children and then pull it together enough to plot a cover-up w/ her.

Take it easy on me Darlie-gurus!
I think he was involved in the plot from the get go.

The more the merrier on this board. Welcome and hope you join in as much as you can.

Goody said:
The more the merrier on this board. Welcome and hope you join in as much as you can.
Yes...I agree. :dance: The more confusion, the merrier!:crazy: Glad to see lurkers join in. :D

deandaniellws said:
Yes...I agree. :dance: The more confusion, the merrier!:crazy: Glad to see lurkers join in. :D
Hey, we gotta have some voices from the fence sitters and supporters or all we will have to post is "I agree"...."you think so?" ...... "is this the only case we have to discuss????" :laugh: :laugh:

Welcome!

I generally think that when married couples have an argument, EVERYTHING that ever bothered either one of them is going to come out, so yes, I think we can assume that this was a topic.

Goody said:
Hey, we gotta have some voices from the fence sitters and supporters or all we will have to post is "I agree"...."you think so?" ...... "is this the only case we have to discuss????" :laugh: :laugh:
Well, I like to hear everyone's idea of how it happened. I also like to brain storm about the would have, could have, should have, because it gets us to thinking about some of the things that me might have missed. We go digging..then low and behold...we find something that we TOTALLY missed the first time around. Yes....fresh meat is always a good thing! :D "Welcome to my den," said the spider to the fly! ;) J/K of course.

Hey, thank you for the welcomes!

This case makes me insane. I make up my mind that she's guilty and then hop right back on the fence a couple of months later. I do not understand how that HOUSE would not be torn apart if Darlie was fighting off an intruder. If it had been me, I would have ripped the guy's face off - I may be dead, but his hair and blood would be all over the place. But her BODY looks like she was fighting off someone - the bruises, the wounds, etc. I know the cuts have been described as superficial, but couldn't one reason that since she was pushing him away, it prevented him from penetrating her neck deeper w/ the knife?

and back to the topic of this thread; sorry for rambling above:

I really, really struggle with Darin's involvement. If she did this, he HAS to be involved; there is NO WAY he did not hear his children being slaughtered in the living room.

Okay, D & D have a major fight, he goes to bed in a huff and she sleeps on the couch. As she lays there stewing, she thinks, "Those damn kids, it's all their fault" and grabs a knife and starts stabbing them. Darin hears the commotion and runs downstairs and sees Darlie killing the children.
SO instead of grabbing the knife and slicing her to bits, Darlie convinces him to help her invent an intruder story and cover the whole thing up??? I just can't get to that point w/ Darin.

KatiesMom said:
Hey, thank you for the welcomes!

This case makes me insane. I make up my mind that she's guilty and then hop right back on the fence a couple of months later. I do not understand how that HOUSE would not be torn apart if Darlie was fighting off an intruder. If it had been me, I would have ripped the guy's face off - I may be dead, but his hair and blood would be all over the place. But her BODY looks like she was fighting off someone - the bruises, the wounds, etc. I know the cuts have been described as superficial, but couldn't one reason that since she was pushing him away, it prevented him from penetrating her neck deeper w/ the knife?

and back to the topic of this thread; sorry for rambling above:

I really, really struggle with Darin's involvement. If she did this, he HAS to be involved; there is NO WAY he did not hear his children being slaughtered in the living room.

Okay, D & D have a major fight, he goes to bed in a huff and she sleeps on the couch. As she lays there stewing, she thinks, "Those damn kids, it's all their fault" and grabs a knife and starts stabbing them. Darin hears the commotion and runs downstairs and sees Darlie killing the children.
SO instead of grabbing the knife and slicing her to bits, Darlie convinces him to help her invent an intruder story and cover the whole thing up??? I just can't get to that point w/ Darin.
I know...another reason I think he was in on it from the get go. I want Cami and JDP to tell us why they think he isn't. They know bunches! :D

easybz said:

Any thoughts??

Welcome EZ and Katie's mom. I think it would be totally normal for Darlie and Darin to fight about this, who didn't at one time in their marriage. Those children were the source of her stress and depression along with the other things you mentioned, imo.

deandaniellws said:
I know...another reason I think he was in on it from the get go. I want Cami and JDP to tell us why they think he isn't. They know bunches! :D

The sloppiness of the crime. If they planned it together, surely they would have done a better job staging it. If they planned it together why stabbing in the middle of the night? I would have taken them to that boat and thrown them off and then jumped in and pretended to try and save them.

It speaks to me of a rage killing, hence the need to bring in an intruder.

Yeah, I guess that is where I am trying to go with this train of thought.

Darlie wrote in her statement that they discussed that night her not being able to go anywhere with the kids because they only had one working car. After reading about her personality, I can totally see her feeling "trapped" with her own children at the house. Which could be why Darin mentioned her having a hard day with the babies, getting on her nerves.

Personally, I think she just snapped, mentally and emotionally. She has admitted many times that she was depressed. Depression is a huge burden to bear, different people react to it in extremely different ways.

Darin, the jury in my mind is still out on him. I cannot figure his part in this out, even though I try.

And thanks for being so welcoming! You are all right, it is definitely addicting!

Blood on the photo album . . .

I can't remember if we talked about this before, but ya'll have heard that there was some blood dropplets on pages of a photo album, right?

cami said:
The sloppiness of the crime. If they planned it together, surely they would have done a better job staging it. If they planned it together why stabbing in the middle of the night? I would have taken them to that boat and thrown them off and then jumped in and pretended to try and save them.

It speaks to me of a rage killing, hence the need to bring in an intruder.
I don't believe that Darin could have slept through his children being slaughtered - neither of the boy's throats were cut, they had to be screaming bloody murder. Maybe he didn't "plan" to kill them w/ Darlie, but if she did do it, he had to have walked in on it. That's one of the reasons I lean towards her being innocent sometimes - how in the world did she convince him to cover it up??

KatiesMom said:
I don't believe that Darin could have slept through his children being slaughtered - neither of the boy's throats were cut, they had to be screaming bloody murder. Maybe he didn't "plan" to kill them w/ Darlie, but if she did do it, he had to have walked in on it. That's one of the reasons I lean towards her being innocent sometimes - how in the world did she convince him to cover it up??

I disagree. I don't think they ever made a noise.

I think it is possible he slept through it. If there was any noise, maybe there was a fan on in his room - I actually turn mine on for white noise and it pretty much keeps me from hearing surrounding noises (which may be a bad thing!) Was it ever established if his bedroom door was even open or closed at the time? That could be a major factor too.

Also, I know my house is set up differently, but if I am upstairs and my husband is on the floor below, we cannot hear each other.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back