WY Olga Mauger, 21, Dubois, 17 Sep 1934

symmetry

Verified Pharmacist
Reaction score
Xhz2r5Z.jpg

Mauger was a 5'5" female who stood 5'5" to 5'9" and weighed between 120 and 150 pounds. She was newly married and had gone with her husband to scout for elk near Togowotee Pass when she went missing, per NamUs. She had black hair, was wearing tan pants with a leather belt and high laced boots. She carried a small hatchet in her waistband. An empty sandwich bag was found by searchers.

I got the following images of articles from NamUs and have cropped them for reading convenience.

This is from the PInedale Roundup ("Published Further From a Railroad Than Any Newspaper in the United States" is a hell of a slogan). It was published May 2, 1935.

Here's a good write up about the case on a blog.

Here's another write-up. It has several quotes that I can't find elsewhere and it doesn't cite any sources, so I'm not sure where they come from.

Buckrail has my favorite write-up. The photo at the bottom does interestingly suggest she used the name "Vlasta Fisher" a year prior to her marriage and disappearance. If you think that photo is a match, that is...

Olga was apparently familiar with the area. She had married Carl Mauger in a whirlwind romance and regretted it almost immediately after the ceremony - she wrote to her sister that she had wanted to kill herself, according to the Waters article. Carl had been in a relationship with an Ella Tchack for five or six years before falling in love with Olga.

Mauger's story was unchanged, despite Mauger being held for months.

A snowstorm came in a few days after her disappearance, making finding her impossible.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/27783/7

I think that Olga realized she had a golden opportunity to disappear and did exactly that. At first I thought maybe Carl also had remorse at their hasty marriage and did something to her; but if that were the case, then it isn't likely he'd wait 7 years to marry Ella.

As for the photo, it's dated over a year PRIOR to Olga's disappearance, so I'm not sure what the significance is supposed to be...?

This also appears to be one of those cases with a number of myths. The write ups include the statement that she was a descendant of Beaver Dick Leigh (a renowned backwoodsman). No she wasn't. Not unless he emigrated to Russia at some point. Ancestry has Olga Schultz in the 1920 census in Duck Creek, South Dakota with her parents Abberta (Albert) and Tillie. Her siblings named in the stories (Edith and Fred) are also there. And both parents are listed as born in Russia. In the 1930 census she is in Colorado with her older sister Emma.

It's been nearly 90 years since Olga Mauger disappeared while on a Wyoming hunting honeymoon. There are no more clues to what happened to her today than in 1934, making her vanishing Wyoming's oldest and coldest missing person's case

It's been nearly 90 years since Olga Mauger disappeared while on a Wyoming hunting honeymoon. There are no more clues to what happened to her today than in 1934, making her vanishing Wyoming's oldest and coldest missing person's case

Xhz2r5Z.jpg

Buckrail has my favorite write-up. The photo at the bottom does interestingly suggest she used the name "Vlasta Fisher" a year prior to her marriage and disappearance. If you think that photo is a match, that is...
Ancestry has a 1930 census record for Vlasta Fisher born in 1917 (which would make her 16 at the time of the picture) and living at Encampment, Carbon, Wyoming. So I think we can conclude the resemblance to Olga is just a coincidence and that the photo is really of a Vlasta Fisher who just happens to look similar.

Larger memorial image loading...

Olga Schultz Mauger, age 21, Missing since 1934

Olga Schultz Mauger​

BIRTH 11 Mar 1913, Lead, Lawrence County, South Dakota, USA
Missing since 17 Sep 1934 (aged 21) from Twogwotee Pass, Teton County, Wyoming, USA

Case Details:

Olga Schultz was a raven-haired beauty, twenty-one years old when she married oilman Carl Mauger. Then just a couple weeks later she disappeared, never to be seen again.
Carl and Olga had gone Elk hunting in the Twogwotee Pass near Dubois, Wyoming. Olga reportedly knew the ravine-filled country like the palm of her hand. She’d hunted and trapped there since she was a child. They set out together after Elk, Olga wore tan breeches, high laced boots, and in her belt was a small hatchet, and she carried a bag of sandwiches. They hiked far into the wilds, always climbing towards the Great Divide, seeking an Elk game trail.
The story Carl told was that as they hiked the rugged mountains, Olga became tired. She decided to rest while Carl climbed a ridge so he could spot any Elk. When he returned sometime later, she was gone. He called and searched for her, then eventually organized a posse to continue looking in the mountains. Her sandwich bag, minus the food, was found near the last place she was seen. Belief that Olga became lost and wandered some distance from the point she was last seen by her husband became stronger as the search parties thoroughly covered the nearby country without ever finding a trace of her.

Shortly after Olga went missing, a snowstorm swept in from the West, hindering the search. Even so, hundreds of Law Enforcement Officials, volunteers, and Indian Trackers scoured the area for days. After the snows cleared, they went back and searched again. But the missing woman was never found. Carl was held for a couple of months, but Police eventually concluded that Olga had disappeared of her own accord... More at link.

Larger memorial image loading...

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708