VA - Amtrak Train hits garbage truck, 1 killed, Crozet, Jan 2018 *civil suit in 2021*

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
one fatality not confirmed folks in truck (2) were airlifted .

Young children aboard

Chartered Amtrak from Washington.

Don't know total number aboard

Ntsb collecting its go team

dont know if truck stuck or gate failed

have not been able to see train yet?

train seems to remain on track

no speeds noted yet

outside Charleston I think

some doctors aboard

Some republicans were on it to go eat somewhere. They may miss their dinner according to one of them on the phone now. They are concerned they may have to reschedule.

http://streamfare.com/msnbc.html

Cab of truck totally separated from the truck

Its hard to visualize the impact sequence cause the railway crossing and the truck and the location of the train , now dont make sense

some if the injuries are serious

wow looks like it was like an 18 wheeler (we dont have garbage trucks like that?)

Their vacation will continue MSNBC

Locomotive did derail

guess of speed maybe 60

I think maybe the truck was dragged a way and that the crossing section might have been the next one??

Oh no two of them were on the back of the truck standing

locomotives on each end -- so it sounds like they will decouple and then move on

some of them were at the shooting on the basefield --

event is described as a pep rally for them

they are trying to figure out how to get to the pep rally

msnbc

Are lights at crossing

will pull train back

This is gonna sound so stupid will one of you give me the state !!!

I am trying to find local news but dont know what Charleston it happened in

OT It was the only time I ever cheated - and now it is haunting me !! We were suppossed to memorize all capitals in every state!

I thought when would I ever need to know this! So i took pages of notebook paper and wrote it all down really hard (so it left an imprint) and was able to see the imprint !

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Are lights at crossing

will pull train back

This is gonna sound so stupid will one of you give me the state !!!

I am trying to find local news but dont know what Charleston it happened in

OT It was the only time I ever cheated - and now it is haunting me !! We were suppossed to memorize all capitals in every state!

I thought when would I ever need to know this! So i took pages of notebook paper and wrote it all down really hard (so it left an imprint) and was able to see the imprint !

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The location is just west of Crozet, VA

Grade level crossing. On CNN its being reported 2 people died, both on the garbage truck.

The location is just west of Crozet, VA

Grade level crossing. On CNN its being reported 2 people died, both on the garbage truck.

trying to find a local outlet!

they continue to worry about getting to pep rally trying to figure it out

msnbc

Unreal

They are moving the train

I have never seen anything like before

Before NTSB gets there -- that never happens

i guess the only reason why is so they can get to the pep rally/dinner

not ok -- NTSB aint gonna be happy about this trust me

msnbc crossing did have gates -- that is important imo

Unreal

They are moving the train

I have never seen anything like before

Before NTSB gets there -- that never happens

i guess the only reason why is so they can get to the pep rally/dinner

not ok -- NTSB aint gonna be happy about this trust me

msnbc crossing did have gates -- that is important imo

I heard on an NBC report that they were going to bring in buses to take the members the rest of the way to The Greenbrier retreat.

One gate IS down

ugh oh

but the lights are not flashing

Anyone know how to find out where the crossing before is (how far away?)

MSNBC is getting aerials makes no sense guys both gates are down and fine

it might be the impact was at a crossing before the this one in the shot

how can gates be down and fine

kinda fits with earlier photos that made no sense in terms of where the locomotive, the cab, the crossing equipment and the truck were

Visually it seems like impact was at another crossing (or place) and the truck was kinda like stuck on the locatootive as the train slowed down - if that makes sense?

one fatality not confirmed folks in truck (2) were airlifted .

Young children aboard

Chartered Amtrak from Washington.

Don't know total number aboard

Ntsb collecting its go team

dont know if truck stuck or gate failed

have not been able to see train yet?

train seems to remain on track

no speeds noted yet

outside Charleston I think

some doctors aboard

Some republicans were on it to go eat somewhere. They may miss their dinner according to one of them on the phone now. They are concerned they may have to reschedule.

http://streamfare.com/msnbc.html

What news agency was making those comments that seemed to imply the passengers were more worried about their destination than the victims in the truck?

I havent seen that and wondering if that is the "fake news" that we keep hearing about.

All the articles I have read show the passengers were considerate of potential victims and some apparently tried to help the victims.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2018/01/31/gop-retreat-train-collides-with-truck-no-serious-injuries-reported/?utm_term=.cf56816fbfdd

"Sanders said White House officials were in touch with Amtrak, state and local officials. “Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected by this incident,” she said."

"Immediately after the crash, Cole said, many members who are also doctors tried to leave the train to render assistance to the three men who were on the trash truck. Security officials on the train discouraged them from getting off the train, he said, but ultimately several members left the train including GOP Reps. Michael Burgess (Tex.), Brad Wenstrup (Ohio), Phil Roe (Tenn.), and Roger Marshall (Kan.)."

I never understand these crashes with trains.

I know some are suicides, but this had multiple passengers so that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Why don't the people in the truck get out and run? If it stalled or got stuck they should have had time.

It's hard to believe someone driving a garbage truck would be dumb enough to try and BEAT a train.

However, the only other option is it being intentional. Which doesn't make much sense either.

I don't get it. Also never knew there was more than one person on a garbage truck.

What news agency was making those comments that seemed to imply the passengers were more worried about their destination than the victims in the truck?

I havent seen that and wondering if that is the "fake news" that we keep hearing about.

All the articles I have read show the passengers were considerate of potential victims and some apparently tried to help the victims.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2018/01/31/gop-retreat-train-collides-with-truck-no-serious-injuries-reported/?utm_term=.cf56816fbfdd

"Sanders said White House officials were in touch with Amtrak, state and local officials. “Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected by this incident,” she said."

"Immediately after the crash, Cole said, many members who are also doctors tried to leave the train to render assistance to the three men who were on the trash truck. Security officials on the train discouraged them from getting off the train, he said, but ultimately several members left the train including GOP Reps. Michael Burgess (Tex.), Brad Wenstrup (Ohio), Phil Roe (Tenn.), and Roger Marshall (Kan.)."

hi hat

it was one of them on the cell phone from the train right after the story broke -- that is how I found out about the dinner tonight

ntsb is not gonna be ok moving a train that just had fatal collision

so dinner wont be too late

watch

you don't do that -- usually ntsb needs about 3 days on scene for train crashes

it can be about a week for aviation

I just saw the busses waiting

they might be a little late for supper --but dinner will be served !

msnbc is carrying this tragedy live

busses are boarding now

its like two hours away msnbc

Pence will be speaking tonight there

there is a little like camp for the kids apparently

they still have not said how many people were on the train

how on earth can a garbage truck go between two gates and how can gates not be broken

Wondering if it was like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAZda3Bo8vM

the locomotive was damaged on one side -- (left)kinda indicates truck was in motion ??????

The cab on truck was more damaged than on right than left

hopefully train has forward facing cameras just to see what the truck was doing before impact

Locomotive did derail

guess of speed maybe 60

I think maybe the truck was dragged a way and that the crossing section might have been the next one??

locomotives on each end -- so it sounds like they will decouple and then move on

msnbc

Like the D "pep rally" last year?

New Video Released; Questions Surround Motorcade’s Role In Fatal Wreck

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/...ions-surround-motorcades-role-in-fatal-wreck/

Thank you for this!

Can't figure out how the truck got through roads that should have been closed

Locomotive did derail

guess of speed maybe 60

msnbc

They are concerned about the pep rally and getting dinner while a person died? No words

Like the D "pep rally" last year?

New Video Released; Questions Surround Motorcade’s Role In Fatal Wreck

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/...ions-surround-motorcades-role-in-fatal-wreck/

That older D bus crash does sound very similar to this R disaster doesnt it.

Both on some kind of retreat get together of some sort and both involved in a huge accident.
That older one was with a dump truck and this new train one was with a garbage truck.

Maybe karma is trying to tell them something. Just hope the rest of the people are ok.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back