CANADA Canada - David MacDermott, 30, Kitchener, Ontario, 9 Nov 2002

dotr

Reaction score
https://www.wrps.on.ca/en/happening-now/missing-people.aspx
David MACDERMOTT
macdermott.jpg
David MacDermott, 30 years, was last seen at his residence on Mill Street, Kitchener in the late evening of Saturday November 9, 2002.

Mr. MacDermott was to play in an organized ball hockey game the following Sunday morning but never showed up. Mr. MacDermott is described as 6'1", 186 lbs., with brown hair, and brown eyes and a tattoo of a small ladybug between his shoulder blades.

He is known to have frequented bars in Kitchener and Waterloo. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Waterloo Regional Police Service or Crime Stoppers.

https://www.therecord.com/news-stor...of-kitchener-man-and-suspected-serial-killer/
January 31 2018
[h=1]Police probe links between disappearance of Kitchener man and suspected serial killer[/h]
KITCHENER — Waterloo Regional Police are looking into possible links between the case of David MacDermott, a Kitchener man who disappeared in 2002, and suspected serial killer Bruce McArthur.

Local investigators are quick to say they have not established a known link, but they need to rule out any potential connection to McArthur, the 66-year-old landscaper accused of killing a number of missing gay men in the Toronto area

McArthur, charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Andrew Kinsmen, Selim Esen, Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi and Dean Lisowick, was awaiting a sentence for assault when MacDermott vanished after partying at Club Renaissance in downtown Kitchener in November 2002.

MacDermott's body has never been found, and detectives have said suicide or the idea he simply chose to vanish without ever contacting his family is unlikely. Police initially treated his disappearance as a missing person case, but in 2009 told the family they were considering the case as a possible homicide.

From missing to possibly murdered: Family of Dave MacDermott wants answers
March 5, 2014

Snipped...
...The 30-year-old had been at Club Renaissance in downtown Kitchener that Saturday night, celebrating a friend’s birthday.

...In MacDermott’s case, police now believe there is a specific, deliberate reason why remains have never been found.

“Whether Dave fell down and bumped his head and died or died as a result of an altercation, somebody still made a decision to hide his body,” Darling says.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/from-m...ly-of-dave-macdermott-wants-answers-1.1715853

(Club R is K-W's gay bar, been there many times)

From missing to possibly murdered: Family of Dave MacDermott wants answers
March 5, 2014

Snipped...
...The 30-year-old had been at Club Renaissance in downtown Kitchener that Saturday night, celebrating a friend’s birthday.

...In MacDermott’s case, police now believe there is a specific, deliberate reason why remains have never been found.

“Whether Dave fell down and bumped his head and died or died as a result of an altercation, somebody still made a decision to hide his body,” Darling says.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/from-m...ly-of-dave-macdermott-wants-answers-1.1715853

(Club R is K-W's gay bar, been there many times)
Okay, so this is interesting now, not that it wasn't already. Because in the first article, the family seems to think there would be no link to BM. It can't be ignored though, that Club R is a gay bar.

ETA: As I read farther down the record article, it says MacDermott was bisexual.

ETA2: Could it be possible, that while BM was awaiting trial for his assault charges, he was also told even then to stay away from The Village? So he sought out other LGBTQ+ establishments outside the GTA?

MISSING: ‘I know someone knows something’
June 24, 2014

Snipped...
...His Ford Mustang was found buried in the snow weeks later, parked at an apartment building near his house.

...Early on, there was conflicting speculation over why MacDermott might have disappeared. The man he rented a room from claimed to police that MacDermott had gotten himself in some trouble and had to flee suddenly.

...Another theory is that MacDermott, who lived what police called "a high-risk, alternative lifestyle" and was known to have multiple lovers including some who were married, might have crossed the wrong person.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/4334522-missing-i-know-someone-knows-something-/

There's some hink with his roommate(s) at the time...fwiw, lots to read here:

Dave MacDermott vanished in one night in Kitchener under strange circumstances and his family is still looking for answers.
November 24, 2017

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/a37x7z/he-went-to-a-bar-15-years-ago-and-was-never-seen-again
This case is bizarre. We have:

- a disgruntled roommate (could be nothing)
- a lying landlord (imo)
- a fake tip implementing suspects in his murder (which was established as false; why and who would do that?)
- 1 abandoned car
- Not a damn trace of the man (possibly because he's dismembered and buried?)

I don't even know what to think. I retract my original comment of WRP. They profiled this man from the beginning, and treated him as a suspect instead of a missing person. I guess it's the same no matter where ya go :dunno:. The new homicide detective sounds great, though.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...assist-bruce-mcarthur-investigation-1.4514374

[FONT=&amp]"There is no information to suggest David MacDermott was involved in the investigation currently being conducted by Toronto Police," Waterloo Regional Police Service Insp. Mike Haffner said in an interview Thursday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
"We don't want to create hysteria on something that is completely inaccurate."

Haffner said Waterloo Regional Police has provided Toronto with all relevant files about missing persons in the region as part of the investigation into McArthur.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
He said they have also been in contact with the Ontario Provincial Police's serial predator investigative unit, but maintained there is no current links between any of the cases.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
Currently, WRPS is actively investigating 17 missing persons cases.[/FONT]

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...pearance-of-kitchener-man-bruce-mcarthur.html
Their call about the MacDermott case is merely a matter of course, local police say. It’s not known if McArthur frequented Kitchener’s gay community, but his arrest has led police forces around southern Ontario to look for possible links to cases of missing men in their jurisdictions, too.

The local man’s family says it is encouraged that Waterloo Regional Police are still looking at the case, but is skeptical the McArthur investigation will reveal much of anything.

“I’d expect that’s something they’d do, but I personally would be shocked,” said Linda Shaw, MacDermott’s mother. “I don’t have that feeling at all. It doesn’t add up.”

Instead, she’s hopeful local police can finally get a break thanks to improvements in forensic technology that didn’t exist when MacDermott’s case was first investigated. The mother has long suspected foul play is responsible for her son’s disappearance, but says there are people who are still refusing to tell the full story.

MacDermott’s family plan to keep up the pressure until someone is caught, she said. The case got national attention last fall from Vice News, and Shaw recently talked to an American producer interested in making a documentary about her son.

“We know the police missed something. They’re retesting some of the forensic evidence that was gathered at the time,” she said. “We know they’re actively investigating, because we won’t let them forget about it.”

This case is still incredibly bizarre and I want it to be solved.

Dave was/is my brother. We want it to be solved as well. I appreciate the fact that other people such as yourself, are interested in Dave's case. We would like nothing other than the Police to find Dave's remains so we can provide him a proper resting place.
Colleen

Dave was/is my brother. We want it to be solved as well. I appreciate the fact that other people such as yourself, are interested in Dave's case. We would like nothing other than the Police to find Dave's remains so we can provide him a proper resting place.
Colleen
Welcome to Ws Colleen Stevens, glad that you found us, but very sorry for the circumstances that brought you here.
Many are keeping eyes on your brother's case and hopefully answers will come soon for your family.

Colleen
We are certainly interested and will keep close eyes on your brother's case. My deepest condolences for your hardships, Colleen. Any insight that you're comfortable sharing is greatly appreciated.

Okay, so this is interesting now, not that it wasn't already. Because in the first article, the family seems to think there would be no link to BM. It can't be ignored though, that Club R is a gay bar.

ETA: As I read farther down the record article, it says MacDermott was bisexual.

ETA2: Could it be possible, that while BM was awaiting trial for his assault charges, he was also told even then to stay away from The Village? So he sought out other LGBTQ+ establishments outside the GTA?

Dave is my brother. Although the police have done their "due diligence" in sending Dave's file to Toronto Police, it has been told to us today that there is ZERO link to Dave/Bruce McArthur case.
Global News Toronto will have a segment on this tonight at 530-630 pm. I hope this means that our local police have significant knowledge now on what happened to Dave. I have my own theories, but who knows No Body, no answers. : (

On Global News Toronto this evening, there will be a segment on my brother. Our local police have confirmed today that there is ZERO link to Dave and Bruce McArthur. So, hoping that they are on a trail of what actually happened to Dave, and praying we will get answers soon! 15+ years and nothing, so praying this is the year. I have my own theories of what happened, but without his remains, there's nothing to go on right now.

Thank you. Yes, this has definitely increased publicity for my brother's case. Global News came to interview my mom and myself today, so that will be on tonight's news. Any publicity keeps it in the news and the pressure on our local police service.

I wish I could share my theory, but it is one the police are looking into so for that reason, I can't share my theory at this time.. just in case. However, I do believe that his so called "friend" that he lived with, knows exactly what happened to him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back