CA CA - Lorie Walters-Pope, 44, Humboldt County, 19 Nov 1996

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Lorie Walters White, also known as Lorie Lynn Pope, was last seen on November 19, 1996.

https://www.northcoastjournal.com/humboldt/the-humboldt-35/Slideshow/7775076/7775065

Lorie-Walters-Pope-85102_0.jpg

https://oag.ca.gov/missing/person/lorie-lynn-walters-pope

• Missing Since 11/19/1996
  • Missing From Humboldt County, California
  • Classification Missing
  • Date of Birth 01/07/1952 (66)
  • Age 44 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5, 200 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Red hair, blue eyes. Walters-Pope may use the last names Pope and/or Walters.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Walters-Pope was last seen in Humboldt County, California on November 19, 1996. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

http://charleyproject.org/case/lorie-lynn-walters-pope

Funny that I came across this woman and found this thread.

More info on Lorie: Still Missing

From the link, reported missing by her ex-husband:

Lorie Lynn Walters-Pope was last seen by a California Highway Patrol officer on Nov. 19, 1996, on State Route 36 near Alton and was reported missing by her ex-husband. She is described as standing 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighing about 200 pounds, with blue eyes and red hair. She was 44 at the time of her disappearance, Walters-Pope would now be 66. She remains classified as an "at-risk missing person and/or a voluntary missing person," according to the sheriff's office.

This is a bit strange, considering she is still missing. I found this. The birth date is the same....

FamilySearch

Name: Lorie L Pope
Event Type: Residence
Event Date: from 1 Jan 1998 to 13 Jul 2001
Event Place: Lindsborg, McPherson, Kansas, United States
Event Place (Original): Lindsborg, Kansas, United States
Previous Residence: Lindsborg, KS
Previous Residence Postal Code: 67456
Birth Date: 7 Jan 1952

Wow! I think you are onto something. However, Lori isn't listed in NamUS. Let's try to gain some more info on Lorie to see if her DOB, etc matches the FamilySearch listing.

But Charley Project (see link above) verifies the DOB. Bit of hope, it's time for you to report your findings to HCSO and claim your bit of glory. Good show!

But Charley Project (see link above) verifies the DOB. Bit of hope, it's time for you to report your findings to HCSO and claim your bit of glory. Good show!

Grinz. I don't even know what HCSO means....I have the feeling something more sinister is going on...but ok....we should call this in.

This is a bit strange, considering she is still missing. I found this. The birth date is the same....

FamilySearch

Name: Lorie L Pope
Event Type: Residence
Event Date: from 1 Jan 1998 to 13 Jul 2001
Event Place: Lindsborg, McPherson, Kansas, United States
Event Place (Original): Lindsborg, Kansas, United States
Previous Residence: Lindsborg, KS
Previous Residence Postal Code: 67456
Birth Date: 7 Jan 1952

Good work @Bit of hope! Using your Lindsborg clue, I found a Lorie Walters Pope. Age 68, in Santa Fe NM, who used to live in Lindsborg KS. No birthdate given, just the age.

Sources: Truthfinder, Instant Checkmate, People Finder (shows address and PO Box in Santa Fe), Intellius, White Pages, Been Verified, Zabasearch. I don’t want to link them in case it’s the wrong person. In some cases, her name didn’t show up unless I typed in Santa Fe (after I discovered she might be there). I didn’t pay to go deeper on any of them.

I couldn’t find a Facebook page.

This book places her in Santa Fe in 1990. “Waste Isolation Pilot Plant Construction Environmental Impact Statement,” page A-279. I didn’t try to decipher it.
But it would mean she was in Santa Fe around 1990, when she was about 38.

https://books.google.com/books?id=6AkxAQAAMAAJ&pg=SL1-PA279&lpg=SL1-PA279&dq=lorie+walters+pope+santa+fe+nm&source=bl&ots=Gy0OvkmAqo&sig=ACfU3U3LFe1zMULFUhtyAPr3TpbzaXJ4mQ&hl=en

So we can place her in:
Humboldt November 1996, age 44. Why was she there and for how long? A grow? Trimming? Passing through? She was seen LE on Highway 36 at Alton near highway 101, so not in an isolated area. No vehicle is mentioned, so we don’t know if she left with someone or hitchhiked alone. Her ex husband reported her missing but we don’t know about about him.
Lots to find out.

Good work @Bit of hope! Using your Lindsborg clue, I found a Lorie Walters Pope. Age 68, in Santa Fe NM, who used to live in Lindsborg KS. No birthdate given, just the age.

Sources: Truthfinder, Instant Checkmate, People Finder (shows address and PO Box in Santa Fe), Intellius, White Pages, Been Verified, Zabasearch. I don’t want to link them in case it’s the wrong person. In some cases, her name didn’t show up unless I typed in Santa Fe (after I discovered she might be there). I didn’t pay to go deeper on any of them.

I couldn’t find a Facebook page.

This book places her in Santa Fe in 1990. “Waste Isolation Pilot Plant Construction Environmental Impact Statement,” page A-279. I didn’t try to decipher it.
But it would mean she was in Santa Fe around 1990, when she was about 38.

https://books.google.com/books?id=6AkxAQAAMAAJ&pg=SL1-PA279&lpg=SL1-PA279&dq=lorie+walters+pope+santa+fe+nm&source=bl&ots=Gy0OvkmAqo&sig=ACfU3U3LFe1zMULFUhtyAPr3TpbzaXJ4mQ&hl=en

So we can place her in:
Humboldt November 1996, age 44. Why was she there and for how long? A grow? Trimming? Passing through? She was seen LE on Highway 36 at Alton near highway 101, so not in an isolated area. No vehicle is mentioned, so we don’t know if she left with someone or hitchhiked alone. Her ex husband reported her missing but we don’t know about about him.
Lots to find out.

Good find! She seems to have receded in Kansas after she went missing..or somebody used her identity....hmmm

Wow! What a pair! Looks like we have a "solve" on our hands. Good show!
As a possible clincher: is her middle name Lynn?

I just wonder how many times she married. Walters...White....I presume Pope is her maiden name, but actually I'm not sure. I couldn't find a marriage with a Walters. Somehow I've the feeling she was into environmental protection, an environmentalist before the WIPP. Humboldt county had their issues too. Maybe she went there to demonstrate, or fight a course...I can't seem to find a connection...

Wow! What a pair! Looks like we have a "solve" on our hands. Good show!
As a possible clincher: is her middle name Lynn?

Yes! At least the initial “L.” One of the Santa Fe references I just found in Whitepages.com is for Lorie L Pope in her 60’s with a previous residence in Lindsborg KS.

Lindsborg is a very small Swedish settlement of a little over 3000 pop. I wonder why this Lorie went there for three years. I looked for relatives, but nothing jumped out.
Lindsborg, Kansas - Wikipedia

I think this Lorie is still in Santa Fe and went back there after being in Lindsborg.

I’m not positive this is the same Lorie who is missing, even though the names make it worth looking further. But we don’t know anything...yet...to tie this Lorie to the one missing from Humboldt. The problem is, we really don’t know anything about the missing Lorie: birthplace, marriage(s), children, education, interests, etc.

Somehow I've the feeling she was into environmental protection, an environmentalist before the WIPP. Humboldt county had their issues too. Maybe she went there to demonstrate, or fight a course...I can't seem to find a connection...

I think you may be right about Lorie being an environmental activist. Looking more closely at the WIPP book I posted, this Lorie had made many comments on this potential environmental disaster. I skimmed articles about the fight to save the Headwaters in the redwoods that ran from pre-1990 through the Redwood Summer of 1990 to 1999. I didn’t see her name mentioned, but only the most prominent activists were and I didn’t go deep. She could have come to Humboldt in the ‘90’s for this cause and left in 1996, perhaps to avoid danger. Lindsborg would have been a good place to hide out if necessary, especially if she had family there and could blend in.

Headwaters Forest Reserve and the Battle that Saved It

From personal experience, just a little over a month before Lorie disappeared in 1996, I attended a concert by Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne in Southern Oregon to benefit environmental groups that was interrupted by angry loggers. It was an ugly time. Bonnie, her Dad John and Don Henley had all just been arrested at a demonstration in Humboldt, so Oregon loggers were loaded for bear when she showed up.
This Day in ’96: Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne Get Environmentally Conscious | Rhino

And your point about someone using her identity is well taken. She certainly hasn’t left much of a trail or even much of a footprint in Santa Fe. All assuming that this is even the right Lorie.

Thank you for the in dept look at the environmental activism and your personal touch to it, I was thinking along the same lines. Standing Rock comes to mind were things went aggressive, only this time the whole world was watching.

ps. I'm very happy they saved the red woods. They are amazing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back