Bodies of Babies Clogging Drains

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Bodies of fetuses, newborns clog Harare's sewers
Zimbabwe's shortages, inflation blamed for rise in illegal abortions
The corpses of at least 20 newborn babies and fetuses are found each week in the sewers of Zimbabwe's capital, some having been flushed down toilets, Harare city authorities said, according to state media Friday.

Town Clerk Nomutsa Chideya said the babies' remains were found among a wide variety of waste and garbage cleared by city council workers unblocking sewers and drains in Harare.

"Apart from upsetting the normal flow of waste, it is not right from a moral standpoint. Some of the things that are happening now are shocking," the state Herald, a government mouthpiece, reported Chideya as saying.

Acute shortages of revenue and gasoline in the nation's worst economic crisis since independence in 1980 have crippled public utilities and garbage collection services across Zimbabwe.

Hospital fees and charges for scarce medicines have soared. Church and charity groups blame economic hardships for an increase in illegal back-street abortions.

Chideya said workers removed at least 20 tons of sand from sewers every day. Inflation is running at 613 percent and many impoverished Zimbabweans, unable to afford cleaning materials or detergents, use sand to scour cooking pots and household dishes.

Salt is also used as a substitute for toothpaste.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/02/17/zimbabwe.fetuses.ap/index.html

Oh dear, I just knew I shouldn't have clicked this link. How unbelievably sad

Isn't this where Prince Harry's girlfriend is from? Isn't she royality there?

I knew a guy from Zimbabwe. He said that if you go to the hospital you have to bring your own bedding, food & surgical gloves. He was going into business buying simple medical supplies in bulk (gloves, water pufification tablets, antibiotic ointent, etc.) and shipping them back home to family members.

I can't help but wonder how much more aid the United States could provide, if the government didn't spend billions of dollars on every subcommittee and investigation the Democrats think they need to start every day.

Jeana (DP) said:
I can't help but wonder how much more aid the United States could provide, if the government didn't spend billions of dollars on every subcommittee and investigation the Democrats think they need to start every day.
You can send/spend aid until the cows come home, put if all it does is go to the government running the country it's the same as throwing it out the window. And most governements don't like other countries running independent aid organizations in their territory.

BillyGoatGruff said:
You can send/spend aid until the cows come home, put if all it does is go to the government running the country it's the same as throwing it out the window. And most governements don't like other countries running independent aid organizations in their territory.

Your words are so true. Remember the offers for help when Katrina hit? The only acceptance I know of is the Mexican Army going to Mississippi. Please correct me if I don't have full knowledge.

With that being said, this thread is so disturbing. I know knowledge is power but this thread says that human life is not valued in many countries, including our own.I think we need to pray more for encouragment.

The human race continues to sadden me.
I know! Me too, it's just getting worse and worse, it's like demons are covering the earth. What really freaks me out is if it's like this now...what about in ten years from now. Or worse yet, 20?:eek: :eek: :eek:

And i TOTALLY agree with your quote!!! I got your back on that homey:dance:

Death Penalty to all CHILD KILLERS. It has to stop.

Hi,

Watched the News last night. It was Mugabe's (President) 82nd birthday yesterday. Birthday celebrations this weekend will be costing R600 000 (ALOT of money), whilst his people are starving! I just don't get it. :furious:

These poor people are coming into South Africa to try make a living. Last year they deported 97 000 of them back.

JellyBean

~wildangel~ said:
And i TOTALLY agree with your quote!!! I got your back on that homey:dance:

Death Penalty to all CHILD KILLERS. It has to stop.

I will third that motion! This is just sick and wrong!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back