SC - Two killed, dozens injured in Amtrak collision, Cayce, 4 Feb 2018

Just saw this on CNN, It was a New York to Miami train. Ran into a freight train about 2 hours ago. 139 passengers aboard. People taken to three different hospitals.

So scary... I was on this exact train last year when we went from ny to Orlando. [emoji32]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are reporting three deaths at this point. 50+ injuries. Location is a suburb of Columbia, S.C. Collision was with a CSX freight train.

WTF is up with Amtrac?

Why is this happening so frequently? I found myself super nervous a few days ago when my sister and her family went to Chicago on an Amtrak. I've never been on a train, but always wanted to take a long trip this way. Now I'm not so sure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I felt the train was going too fast during the night.....bumping me all over the private car I had......a few years back. An acquaintance I know felt the same way on a more recent trip.

My gut told me the system needed to be modernized. It was worrisome.

All mooooo....

Why is this happening so frequently? I found myself super nervous a few days ago when my sister and her family went to Chicago on an Amtrak. I've never been on a train, but always wanted to take a long trip this way. Now I'm not so sure.

me, too. I always wanted to take a train somewhere, but only had a small ride for a midnight dinner/mystery cruise. I am not so sure now.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/0...lide-in-south-carolina-injuries-reported.html
attachment.php

The South Carolina Emergency Management Division said Amtrak 91 was traveling from New York to Miami when it collided with the CSX train in Cayce around 2:35 a.m. At least 70 people transported to local hospitals, Lexington County spokesman Harrison Cahill said at a news conference.

Amtrak said in a statement the train's lead engine derailed, as did some passenger cars that was carrying eight crew members and approximately 139 passengers on board.

Attachments

• 1DBF5B87-BC24-42EF-9C9B-CD9B816058A3.jpeg
    1DBF5B87-BC24-42EF-9C9B-CD9B816058A3.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 101
Amtrak Train Collision Kills at Least 2 and Injures Nearly 70 Others

Amtrak said Train 91, which was carrying eight crew members and 139 passengers, collided with a CSX train near Cayce, S.C., around 2:35 a.m.
“The lead engine derailed, as well as some passenger cars,” Amtrak said in a statement.
The Lexington County spokesman, Harrison Cahill, said at a news conference early Sunday that about 70 people with injuries had been hospitalized. He said the injuries ranged from small scratches and bumps to broken bones, but could not say if any were life-threatening.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/us/amtrak-crash-south-carolina.html

cache.php

[FONT=&amp]One train car completely flipped over and crushed

video

[/FONT]
https://twitter.com/MaayanSchechter

[FONT=&amp]looks like an area of a lot of switching tracks

[/FONT]

me, too. I always wanted to take a train somewhere, but only had a small ride for a midnight dinner/mystery cruise. I am not so sure now.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/0...lide-in-south-carolina-injuries-reported.html
attachment.php

The South Carolina Emergency Management Division said Amtrak 91 was traveling from New York to Miami when it collided with the CSX train in Cayce around 2:35 a.m. At least 70 people transported to local hospitals, Lexington County spokesman Harrison Cahill said at a news conference.

Amtrak said in a statement the train's lead engine derailed, as did some passenger cars that was carrying eight crew members and approximately 139 passengers on board.

Wow. Another accident involving a train.

JMO
Looks like it was around a curve. And It looks like two tracks close together and at this point it appears they were on separate tracks and going around a curve. Just a guess at this point. I dont think they were on same track. I think the tracks being so close together and the curve may have caused one train to sway and shift enough to touch the other train triggering the accident. If that happened the way I think it did then it means speed of one train was likely too fast for the curve.

I have ridden Amtrak on numerous occasions and I was always amazed when we passed another train going in opposite direction how close the tracks were. There was very little room between the tracks and it always scared me as I looked out window and saw another train zooming past in opposite direction.

Again I am not sure that is what happened but it does look like two separate tracks going around a curve. So the only thing I can think of is speed and the curve caused one to touch the other.
JMO of course.

Wow. Another accident involving a train.

JMO
Looks like it was around a curve. And It looks like two tracks close together and at this point it appears they were on separate tracks and going around a curve. Just a guess at this point. I dont think they were on same track. I think the tracks being so close together and the curve may have caused one train to sway and shift enough to touch the other train triggering the accident. If that happened the way I think it did then it means speed of one train was likely too fast for the curve.

I have ridden Amtrak on numerous occasions and I was always amazed when we passed another train going in opposite direction how close the tracks were. There was very little room between the tracks and it always scared me as I looked out window and saw another train zooming past in opposite direction.

Again I am not sure that is what happened but it does look like two separate tracks going around a curve. So the only thing I can think of is speed and the curve caused one to touch the other.
JMO of course.

McMaster said the first engine of the freight train was "torn up," while the engine on the Amtrak train is "barely recognizable." The governor added that no one was on the CSX train at the time of teh crash, and the Amtrak train was estimated to be going 59 mph.

—
the two people killed in the crash were Amtrak personnel

—
116 people were taken to area hospitals.

—
Lexington Medical Center, received 27 patients, all have been released

—
Palmetto Health, 62 patients at three facilities; probbly will admit two, the rest should be released

After the crash on Sunday, Amtrak
posted on Twitter: “Individuals with questions regarding passengers on train 91 can contact us at 1.800.523.9101.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/04/amtrak-train-collision/304692002/
The CSX train was parked on what appears to be a side track when the Amtrak train slammed into it at about 59 mph, McMaster said. Of the 139 people on the Amtrak train, 116 people were taken to hospitals, he said.
The wreck happened near a rail yard where several spurs branch off for train cars to be unloaded. Investigators don’t know if the Amtrak train was diverted from its track, the Associated Press reported.

https://www.local10.com/news/nation...in-crash-involving-amtrak-train-freight-train
Robert Sumwalt, the NTSB chairman, told CNN that an NTSB team will arrive in South Carolina Sunday morning to begin the investigation, which should take 12 to 18 months.

Investigators will hold a press conference Sunday afternoon, Sumwalt said.

[South Carolina Gov. is Henry McMaster]

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...uth-Carolina-Injuries-Reported-472588173.html

The freight train was parked on a loading or switch track, McMaster said, while the Amtrak train was moving at about 59 mph.
McMaster said it appeared the Amtrak train was on the wrong track, although an investigation would determine the precise cause.

"They weren't supposed to be meeting, clearly," McMaster said. "There may be a timing factor."

JMO
I've been on quite a few train rides and I actually liked the trips but certain times during the trip there were certain points where it felt a little scary.

As mentioned in my other post whenever we passed another train going in opposite direction that always spooked me the most because of how close it appeared. The other train would zoom past the window and seemed extremely close. I never understood why they had to make the tracks so close together with little margin of safety between the tracks.

For those that have never been on a passenger train I can try to explain the experience of riding a passenger train.

The first difference someone will notice as compared to other forms of travel is they can be a little noisy. You will hear different types of noises throughout the ride that you havent heard before. And when cruising at cruise speed there becomes a methodical rhythmic sound as the trains wheels go over the tracks. That part can be rather soothing and can put you to sleep when you get used to it. I actually liked that sound.

Other sounds can be a little annoying and a little scary at first till you get used to it. Like braking sounds sometimes will squeel unexpectedly. Or when the train shifts from one track to another track there can be sounds of the undercarriage as you feel and hear the shifting onto the other track.

Another big difference than other forms of travel is the passenger cars can give a swaying motion at higher speeds and when going around curves. You can feel the whole car sway a little. Its usually not too bad but sometimes it is noticeable and different than anything else.

You will feel sensations and different types of feelings in the seat as you get used to how a train ride feels. You get used to it pretty quick and for the most part it can be soothing. Its the unexpected jarring or bumps or changing tracks or braking and other things that sometimes makes you take notice.

As the train starts out and gets up to cruising speed you begin to notice the cruising speed. So it becomes noticeable when the train begins to slow down that something is likely to be coming like a train crossing or a train stop. Then if it is not an actual stop then the train will speed back up to cruising speed. So you get used to knowing the typical cruising speed.

I actually liked most all the train rides I have been on. The seats are pretty roomy. The sight and view of the surrounding terrain is fun to look out the window and watch the farms and houses go by. You can see how the different rural communities live as you go by. One thing I recall on one of the passenger cars is 1/2 of the car had seats pointing in one direction and the other half in the other direction. I always like to be facing forward so I had to get a seat where I could see forward. Some people liked to sit facing backward. Im not sure if all cars were like that or just the one I was on.

So a lot is different about train travel. Sights, Sounds, Feelings, Sensations, are all quite different than anything else. Hope this gives people that have never ridden before an idea what it is like.

Overall for me it was an enjoyable experience and I would go again. For me I like to sit in a middle car with the thought that it feels safer to me to be somewhere in the middle of a train. I tend to avoid the ends. Not sure if there is anything to it but it just felt safer to be somewhere near middle of train.

I am not sure why all of a sudden we have had three main accidents in a short period of time. Could it be a sign of something going on or just bad luck.

These are serious accidents lately. I hope its not a sign of something going on like rushing schedules or lack of maintenace or something else.

Its terribly sad to hear of another accident with lives lost and inuries. Prayers for all involved.

JMO
I've been on quite a few train rides and I actually liked the trips but certain times during the trip there were certain points where it felt a little scary.

As mentioned in my other post whenever we passed another train going in opposite direction that always spooked me the most because of how close it appeared. The other train would zoom past the window and seemed extremely close. I never understood why they had to make the tracks so close together with little margin of safety between the tracks.

For those that have never been on a passenger train I can try to explain the experience of riding a passenger train.

The first difference someone will notice as compared to other forms of travel is they can be a little noisy. You will hear different types of noises throughout the ride that you havent heard before. And when cruising at cruise speed there becomes a methodical rhythmic sound as the trains wheels go over the tracks. That part can be rather soothing and can put you to sleep when you get used to it. I actually liked that sound.

Other sounds can be a little annoying and a little scary at first till you get used to it. Like braking sounds sometimes will squeel unexpectedly. Or when the train shifts from one track to another track there can be sounds of the undercarriage as you feel and hear the shifting onto the other track.

Another big difference than other forms of travel is the passenger cars can give a swaying motion at higher speeds and when going around curves. You can feel the whole car sway a little. Its usually not too bad but sometimes it is noticeable and different than anything else.

You will feel sensations and different types of feelings in the seat as you get used to how a train ride feels. You get used to it pretty quick and for the most part it can be soothing. Its the unexpected jarring or bumps or changing tracks or braking and other things that sometimes makes you take notice.

As the train starts out and gets up to cruising speed you begin to notice the cruising speed. So it becomes noticeable when the train begins to slow down that something is likely to be coming like a train crossing or a train stop. Then if it is not an actual stop then the train will speed back up to cruising speed. So you get used to knowing the typical cruising speed.

I actually liked most all the train rides I have been on. The seats are pretty roomy. The sight and view of the surrounding terrain is fun to look out the window and watch the farms and houses go by. You can see how the different rural communities live as you go by. One thing I recall on one of the passenger cars is 1/2 of the car had seats pointing in one direction and the other half in the other direction. I always like to be facing forward so I had to get a seat where I could see forward. Some people liked to sit facing backward. Im not sure if all cars were like that or just the one I was on.

So a lot is different about train travel. Sights, Sounds, Feelings, Sensations, are all quite different than anything else. Hope this gives people that have never ridden before an idea what it is like.

Overall for me it was an enjoyable experience and I would go again. For me I like to sit in a middle car with the thought that it feels safer to me to be somewhere in the middle of a train. I tend to avoid the ends. Not sure if there is anything to it but it just felt safer to be somewhere near middle of train.

I am not sure why all of a sudden we have had three main accidents in a short period of time. Could it be a sign of something going on or just bad luck.

These are serious accidents lately. I hope its not a sign of something going on like rushing schedules or lack of maintenace or something else.

Its terribly sad to hear of another accident with lives lost and inuries. Prayers for all involved.
Thank you for that wonderful description!

Thank you, Hatfield. that was a very good description and I could feel the soothing sway as you were describing it.

McMaster said the first engine of the freight train was "torn up," while the engine on the Amtrak train is "barely recognizable." The governor added that no one was on the CSX train at the time of teh crash, and the Amtrak train was estimated to be going 59 mph.

—
the two people killed in the crash were Amtrak personnel

—
116 people were taken to area hospitals.

—
Lexington Medical Center, received 27 patients, all have been released

—
Palmetto Health, 62 patients at three facilities; probbly will admit two, the rest should be released

After the crash on Sunday, Amtrak
posted on Twitter: “Individuals with questions regarding passengers on train 91 can contact us at 1.800.523.9101.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/04/amtrak-train-collision/304692002/
The CSX train was parked on what appears to be a side track when the Amtrak train slammed into it at about 59 mph, McMaster said. Of the 139 people on the Amtrak train, 116 people were taken to hospitals, he said.
The wreck happened near a rail yard where several spurs branch off for train cars to be unloaded. Investigators don’t know if the Amtrak train was diverted from its track, the Associated Press reported.

https://www.local10.com/news/nation...in-crash-involving-amtrak-train-freight-train
Robert Sumwalt, the NTSB chairman, told CNN that an NTSB team will arrive in South Carolina Sunday morning to begin the investigation, which should take 12 to 18 months.

Investigators will hold a press conference Sunday afternoon, Sumwalt said.

Thanks Spellbound for all the articles.

JMO
After reading a bunch of the articles and seeing more pictures there clearly was a larger impact than when I first looked at this. So now I think there was a direct impact somehow and possibly on the same track.

I first could not see how there could have been a head on collision or anything but now I see more damage that shows there was a tremendous impact.

If you scroll down in this USA today and scroll to under the map part there are 6 photos that you can view. The 1st picture 1 of 6 shows the white engine of the passenger train and I just realized that the engine does not look to be all there. I didnt realize that at first but it appears to be about 1/2 of the engine or crushed really bad. Wow.

Picture 2 gives more evidence. If you use the right arrow there and go to picture 2 of 6, that is a tell tale sign of a terrible impact because it shows where two passenger cars buckled and were thrown clear off the track. Wow. Almost like if you took a drinking straw and held the ends and pushed toward the middle how it would buckle somewhere in the middle.

Also in the first picture 1 of 6 if you look closely at the passenger car behind the engine there is a buckle in the roof. Which shows the impact caused a crushing force of that passenger car.

On the freight train the first few cars we see all have severe damage.
This is much worse of an impact force than I first thought.

[South Carolina Gov. is Henry McMaster]

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...uth-Carolina-Injuries-Reported-472588173.html

The freight train was parked on a loading or switch track, McMaster said, while the Amtrak train was moving at about 59 mph.
McMaster said it appeared the Amtrak train was on the wrong track, although an investigation would determine the precise cause.

"They weren't supposed to be meeting, clearly," McMaster said. "There may be a timing factor."

Yes read that as well. Csx was parked/stopped, amtrac train on wrong track.

Image at link shws amtrac on outside track as well.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/04/amtrak-train-was-traveling-on-wrong-track-before-fatal-crash/

Just to give another perspective on **overnight & lengthy train travel**......it was anything but soothing & basically woke me up from a sound sleep in the middle of the night. It felt like we were going way too fast & the train was swaying way too much......it felt perilously unsafe. Why were we going so fast & bouncing all over the beds in our private car? Was the Conductor pushing the speed because he had to make up for lost time during the middle of the night when most were sleeping & wouldn’t notice?

The swaying back and forth at such fast speeds seemed to defy gravity. It didn’t feel right or safe.

And my opinion was agreed to by someone else I know who did the same long trip from the Northeast down to the very South. She told the same story & said she would never take the train again for overnight travel. Neither will I.

Just to give another perspective on **overnight & lengthy train travel**......it was anything but soothing & basically woke me up from a sound sleep in the middle of the night. It felt like we were going way too fast & the train was swaying way too much......it felt perilously unsafe. Why were we going so fast & bouncing all over the beds in our private car? Was the Conductor pushing the speed because he had to make up for lost time during the middle of the night when most were sleeping & wouldn’t notice?

The swaying back and forth at such fast speeds seemed to defy gravity. It didn’t feel right or safe.

And my opinion was agreed to by someone else I know who did the same long trip from the Northeast down to the very South. She told the same story & said she would never take the train again for overnight travel. Neither will I.

Ive never been on an overnighter or in a sleeper car. I wonder if those lines may tend to go faster than daytime travel. I suppose it depends on the particular lines and what routes they travel.

Seems like there are far too many accidents happening to Amtrak lately. Heads need to roll over this.
How could they have been rerouted to the WRONG track ??
:moo:

Off-topic : What's going on with the forum, "Crimes That Should Be In The News" ?
No posts are allowed ? Will it change to allow info ?
Some of the topics on there are unknown to me. Just speculating.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarellano5280
Back