CO - Gym teacher accused of assaulting student who refused to stand for Pledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawny

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...-to-stand-for-pledge-of-allegiance/ar-BBIEKDE

A middle school physical education teacher allegedly assaulted a student on Thursday for apparently refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, police said.

Karen Smith was placed on paid administrative leave from Angevine Middle School in Lafayette, Colo., this week after police were called in to investigate an alleged assault on a male student, Principal Mike Medina said in a statement.

The nature of the assault is not known.

Hope she is fired. She should be for assault. If she gets a criminal citation, she would have that on her record and would not be able to teach. Hopefully, everywhere but some states may overlook assault convictions,

Gym teacher accused of assaulting student who wouldn’t stand for Pledge of Allegiance

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-pledge-of-allegiance/?utm_term=.8094429f448d

A 20-year veteran teacher is accused of assaulting a middle school student who refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, the latest incident in which a protest over the flag has devolved into apparent violence.

The teacher is Karen Smith, who until recently taught physical education at Angevine Middle School, about 20 miles north of Denver. She couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.

Officers were called to the school around noon Thursday, the Denver Post reported. Neither the school nor the police released details, and the student’s name has not been released. No charges have been filed.

BBM

SMH

<modsnip>

I think I&#8217;m sensible but I can&#8217;t fathom why a child would be the subject of a (now non) assault by a teacher for not standing for a pledge of allegiance at school. Detention and a call to their parents for an immediate conference would suffice, surely?

I think I’m sensible but I can’t fathom why a child would be the subject of a (now non) assault by a teacher for not standing for a pledge of allegiance at school. Detention and a call to their parents for an immediate conference would suffice, surely?

No, it doesn't work that way. The student cannot be forced to stand.

A school spokesman told the newspaper that the policy is to allow students to sit or stand during the pledge.

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/...egiance-or-the-national-anthem-at-school.html

Students at public schools and universities have a constitutional right to express their beliefs by sitting out the pledge of allegiance or the national anthem.

moo

This is just awful. Students refusing to stand and say the pledge ?

&#8203;http://education.findlaw.com/student-rights/the-pledge-of-allegiance-and-legal-challenges-in-education.html

The Pledge of Allegiance and Legal Challenges in Education

One of the enduring traditions in public education is the recitation of the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance before the start of class, often while standing with one hand on the heart. But given both the protections of individuals and restraints on the government (public schools are government entities) required by the First Amendment to the Constitution, do students or school staff have to participate in the Pledge? And can students be reprimanded or retaliated against for refusing (sitting or "taking a knee"), in protest or for other personal reasons? The short answer is "no," but there's a long history of jurisprudence leading to that conclusion.

bbm

I think I&#8217;m sensible but I can&#8217;t fathom why a child would be the subject of a (now non) assault by a teacher for not standing for a pledge of allegiance at school. Detention and a call to their parents for an immediate conference would suffice, surely?

Recently, there was a 'call to action' for people to 'rise up' and use violence against other people that refused to stand during the US national anthem at sports events.

This is an unstable person for answering that 'call to action' especially by manhandling/using violence against a child, and one in their care. She needs to get gone imo since she is that easily influenced. If someone told her to pick up a gun and use it for a particular reason would she actually do that as well?

According to the article, the school policy is to not force students to stand for the pledge. There's also no law in the US requiring such, thank goodness. The case seems pretty clear cut. The teacher is in the wrong. She may disagree with the student, as many of us would, but we all must respect the rights of others to not participate in symbolic gestures of patriotism. Democracy is hard, but it's what makes us a great country.

Recently, there was a 'call to action' for people to 'rise up' and use violence against other people that refused to stand during the US national anthem at sports events.

This is an unstable person for answering that 'call to action' especially by manhandling/using violence against a child, and one in their care. She needs to get gone imo since she is that easily influenced. If someone told her to pick up a gun and use it for a particular reason would she actually do that as well?

That's terrifying! I hadn't heard that. This case should be fully investigated and, if true that she was following this "movement" or whatever it is, she should be severely reprimanded or terminated.

The alt right movement grows scarier every day

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...in-republican-primary/?utm_term=.778f5a0935b4

In middle school?

The better question is, why is the student doing this in the first place?

90% of people refusing to stand, or taking "a knee" during these events have no idea even WHY they are doing it......it's just monkey see, monkey do, type of deal

In middle school?

90% of people refusing to stand, or taking "a knee" during these events have no idea even WHY they are doing it......it's just monkey see, monkey do, type of deal

BBM - the same can be said of people choosing to not 'take a knee' and blindly following what they are told is the correct thing to do.

Sitting or kneeling is a non-violent protest. The sitters/kneelers are not putting their hands on another person in anger. And no one has the right to put their hands on sitters/kneelers in anger. Democracy at it's finest.

BBM - the same can be said of people choosing to not 'take a knee' and blindly following what they are told is the correct thing to do.

Sitting or kneeling is a non-violent protest. The sitters/kneelers are not putting their hands on another person in anger. And no one has the right to put their hands on sitters/kneelers in anger. Democracy at it's finest.

no its not the same thing,

people know WHY they are standing, honor and pride for the country they live in,

most people who are kneeling have no clue why they are doing it, or what they are protesting against

In middle school?

Speaking for myself years and years and years ago...lol I refused because I was tired of it every dam* morning and I refused to be a robot following along.
Thank goodness my teacher didn't make an issue of it.
ETA and it has nothing to do with lack of love for country.

no its not the same thing,

people know WHY they are standing, honor and pride for the country they live in,

most people who are kneeling have no clue why they are doing it, or what they are protesting against
They are protesting against imagined oppression. Reality is they are just creating a victim mentality which is counterproductive and actually sets society back. It's more embarrassing to watch than some of Trump's twitter rants.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In middle school?

When in high school in the early '70's it was not uncommon to see groups of students who didn't stand for the pledge or national anthem during assemblies. No one made a big deal of it. Back then, it was more of a protest against the Vietnam War. Many of those guys knew they were going to be drafted to serve as soon as they graduated, so they were not very motivated to show patriotism. Some of those guys ended up dying in Vietnam, some ended up scarred for life.

A couple of my girl friends sat during the pledge, too. They came out ok. One is an attorney.

It was not a big deal back then, no one got expelled or beat up by a teacher. Why is that necessary now?

When in high school in the early '70's it was not uncommon to see groups of students who didn't stand for the pledge or national anthem during assemblies. No one made a big deal of it. Back then, it was more of a protest against the Vietnam War. Many of those guys knew they were going to be drafted to serve as soon as they graduated, so they were not very motivated to show patriotism. Some of those guys ended up dying in Vietnam, some ended up scarred for life.

is there a war and a draft coming up?.....not that i know of.....the people you speak of HAD REASON....exactly my point....these people have no clue why they are doing it....tell me what reason a middle school child could have for refusing to stand?....and don't give me BS like because they are tired from playing video games all night....these kids are just following what they are seeing in the media, and what athletes are doing, and have no reason for doing what they are doing

is there a war and a draft coming up?.....not that i know of.....the people you speak of HAD REASON....exactly my point....these people have no clue why they are doing it....tell me what reason a middle school child could have for refusing to stand?....and don't give me BS like because they are tired from playing video games all night....these kids are just following what they are seeing in the media, and what athletes are doing, and have no reason for doing what they are doing

You're not giving our youth much credit for having their own feelings about the workings of our society. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa