62-year old Redding woman gives birth to 12th child

Tom'sGirl

Former Member
Reaction score
The Associated Press

REDDING

A 62-year-old woman gave birth Friday to a healthy 6-pound, 9-ounce baby boy, becoming one of the oldest women in the world to successfully bear a child.

The newborn is the 12th child of Janise Wulf, who's also a grandmother of 20 and great-grandmother of three.

Family members said the delivery at Mercy Medical Center went smoothly Friday, despite earlier concerns about the mother's health. Wulf, a diabetic, experienced swelling and higher blood pressure earlier this week, prompting doctors to perform the Caesarean section a week early.

http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California2/CA_Mother_at_225291CA.shtml

Did you notice she has a child not much older and both of these last two births were by invitro fertilization? This is crazy!!

Well I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that thought this stupid, actually I find it disgusting :crazy:

lynie said:
Okay now, that is just wrong...just wrong....

lynie
:laugh: Yeah lynie, wrong is right!

The great grandkids can help raise the poor little guy I guess :rolleyes:

Tom'sGirl said:
Well I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that thought this stupid, actually I find it disgusting :crazy:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I have not read the article (cannot bear to do so), but wonder about the doctor(s) who would go along with the in vitro process in a woman of this age with these health problems? $$$$$ talks, I guess. Absolutely wrong, IMO.

Opie said:
I have not read the article (cannot bear to do so), but wonder about the doctor(s) who would go along with the in vitro process in a woman of this age with these health problems? $$$$$ talks, I guess. Absolutely wrong, IMO.

It sounds like it all comes down to money no matter how old you are. I'm 62 yrs and I can't begin to imagine having a baby now. The problem wouldn't be carrying it for 9 months....but taking care of it 24/7's for the rest of my life.

How sad to keep having babies at that age. The one that is going to get cheated is the child. I can't imagine having the energy it takes to care for babies at this age. What were they thinking?????

Her hubby is 48 yrs. Here is a little of the article. I don't know how to post the link but it is listed here at the top.

Wulf is used to defying the odds. Blind since birth, she was a synchronized swimmer in high school, worked as a piano and organ saleswoman and developed a passion for cooking.

Wulf said Friday that she considers her late-in-life pregnancy a groundbreaking act for older women.

"Age is a number. You're as old as you feel," she said. "Every time you revolutionize something or you do something different, there's going to be naysayers."

Bobbisangel said:
It sounds like it all comes down to money no matter how old you are. I'm 62 yrs and I can't begin to imagine having a baby now. The problem wouldn't be carrying it for 9 months....but taking care of it 24/7's for the rest of my life.

How sad to keep having babies at that age. The one that is going to get cheated is the child. I can't imagine having the energy it takes to care for babies at this age. What were they thinking?????

Her hubby is 48 yrs. Here is a little of the article. I don't know how to post the link but it is listed here at the top.

Wulf is used to defying the odds. Blind since birth, she was a synchronized swimmer in high school, worked as a piano and organ saleswoman and developed a passion for cooking.

Wulf said Friday that she considers her late-in-life pregnancy a groundbreaking act for older women.

"Age is a number. You're as old as you feel," she said. "Every time you revolutionize something or you do something different, there's going to be naysayers."
I guess it might be a little easier to accept (i said might ) if she hadnt already had a brood of little ones-- but I so agree that the only thing talking here with the doctor was money-- not a natural conception, and her health problems on top of her age--:eek:

She was just on the today show....she's been blind since birth. Her hubby was never able to have children in a previous relationship and desperately wanted children, so she wanted to do that for him.

WOW, I guess I am not too old to have another then huh??

Lesleegp said:
She was just on the today show....she's been blind since birth. Her hubby was never able to have children in a previous relationship and desperately wanted children, so she wanted to do that for him.
You have to wonder just how depserately he wanted kids if he married a woman 14 years his senior who was already a grandmother & great-grandmother. The risk of mental reatardation and other birth defects escalates considerably as a woman ages. She's just lucky she didn't have a stroke while in delivery. And I can just imagine what the preganacy did to her calcium deposits.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this woman was being selfish!!! :mad: It's not like she didn't have any kids!!! :banghead: BooHoo for the husband, being a step-dad wasn't good enough??:boohoo: :boohoo:

Most reputable doctors will NOT perform IVF beyond age 39, unless you are going to use donor eggs. That's why I'm not able to have a second child, but I'm satisfied that I was able to have one and she's enough for me!

Lord have mercy, This lady needs to stick a cork in it. Dauhm!

This blessed event is just absolutely revolting to me. I know this is mean but she was the blind one in this mess and someone was also deaf and dumb. Have mercy!

My parents had me when they were 35 and 39...they're now 57 and 61, and I worry about them a lot. Sometimes when they're going through a health crisis I feel cheated because there's not too many 21 year olds who have parents my age and have to deal with the problems they have. I love them so much, and I can't imagine losing them...this little boy will probably be younger then I am now and be without a mother. I really think this lady was being selfish when she decided to do this.

Lesleegp said:
Possibly she is trying to compensate for lack of vision?
I am disturbed that she would have another child just for some guy...
Who is this for anyways?????

Just thoughtless and selfish with no thought to this child or the older children who no doubt will be raising this child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back