968 users online (261 members and 707 guests)  

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    I can't wait for the conclusion on Lyle! With Buckskin Girl identified and Lyle very close it will be interesting to see what the next big identification will be.

Too many OT posts folks !! People come here to read about Lyle's case.

Quote Originally Posted by Taltos View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experiences as well as tips and insight roselvr

My mother was coerced into giving up her beautiful son too to Catholic community Services in the late1960's.

They claim not to know where his records are

adoption registries ( we registered over 20 years ago ) claim we haven't registered.

It has been harder than expected to find him and time ticks by

and yes, how to be taken seriously if one claims missing status with the initial adoption as the only reason in the minds eye of le..

i am so excited to submit DNA finally!!
    My brother and I are both catholic adoptees. Him in 81 me in 83. Both from separate families. I chose to find my bio people and he did not. Apparently that’s pretty common place from males.

Also how does everyone know if they matched to Lyle on DNA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was so happy to hear that Buckskin girl has been identified, I keep checking every day for Lyle's results. I never thought he was any kind of criminal, or involved in 9/11 in any way, I think he was a sad, lonely, depressed young man who may have been outcast from his family or aged out of a foster care system.

***Little mini update from DNA Doe Project on Lyle.***

One hour ago someone asked 'Are you still working on Lyle's case?' in the comment section for their most recent post (Q&A about Marcia aka Buckskin Girl).

Margaret Press (DNA Doe Project co-founder) just replied: 'Yes. He's tough. All his DNA matches are related to each other. It will take lots of time and lots of skill.'
    Last edited by leilarose68; 04-15-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leilarose68 View Post

One hour ago someone asked 'Are you still working on Lyle's case?' in the comment section for their most recent post (Q&A about Marcia aka Buckskin Girl).

Margaret Press (DNA Doe Project co-founder) just replied: 'Yes. He's tough. All his DNA matches are related to each other. It will take lots of time and lots of skill.'
    Wow .. and ya know I sure thought we would know whom Kyle was before any of their cases ... was I ever wrong on that.

Wait wait will do .DDP.
    Last edited by folieadeuxnola; 04-15-2018 at 10:27 PM.

DO YOU KNOW ME?
    Help Identify Lake Pontchartrain Jane Doe - Slidell, Louisiana - June 19, 1986

Red/Brown (Auburn) Hair, 5'2-5'4, 20-30 yrs old, perfect teeth absence of wisdom, Scars; right knee, abdomen, right wrist, prior right hip injury, possible nose surgery, breast implants, 8-12 wks pregnant, marking of a ring left hand ring finger

LSU Faces: http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=383
    NAMUS: https://identifyus.org/cases/852
    Doe: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/16ufla.html

>>Margaret Press (DNA Doe Project co-founder) just replied: 'Yes. He's tough. All his DNA matches are related to each other. It will take lots of time and lots of skill.'

Can someone who is DNA-savvy, explain this to me. If his DNA matches are related to one another, then are those same DNA matches not related to him? And does anyone know or recall how many DNA matches they have found thus far.

Also, yes, I too thought "Lyle" was in his twenties when he died, but certain heritages can be deceiving that way. Often the older ones *look* younger. Also, don't know why I think this, but the fact that he wore braces on his teeth very well might be a factor in helping to identify him once the closest matches are found, even if he was later adopted.

I can't stand the tension! But completely appreciate the efforts and understand how (relatively) slow it can seem when actually, things are moving at a very quick pace after a long time of not much!

Last edited by Remi_Aventura; 04-16-2018 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added clarity

Quote Originally Posted by leilarose68 View Post

What does that mean exactly? His relatives all being related? Just that fact makes it hard to pinpoint his immediate family?

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
    Who Killed Bryan Smith?

Say hello 2 heaven Chris Cornell

Quote Originally Posted by aThousandYearsWide View Post
    What does that mean exactly? His relatives all being related? Just that fact makes it hard to pinpoint his immediate family?

I'm not completely sure, but I think it means there was a lot of inter-marrying of cousins (or closer relatives). JMO.

DDP Update

➡️ We need YOUR help! ⬅️
    As many of you know, we are the DNA Doe Project, a nonprofit organization that utilizes pioneering genetic genealogy techniques to identify John and Jane Does in an effort to return them to their families. Recently we announced our first successful identification of Marcia King, previously known as “Buckskin Girl” and we are working diligently to solve our other active John and Jane Doe cases.

Our volunteers have been working around the clock to identify “Lyle Stevik”/Quinault John Doe, an unidentified individual who died in Washington state in 2001. We have been extremely fortunate to find many of his DNA matches through the online DNA database GEDmatch.com. “Lyle’s” DNA matches appear to be mainly people of Hispanic descent in Northern New Mexico and surrounding regions.

➡️ How you can help? ⬅️
    ✅ We encourage people who are from these regions and who have used commercial DNA services such as Ancestry or 23&Me to consider downloading their raw DNA data and uploading it to GEDmatch. A DNA database is only as strong as the number of users included, and although we have many excellent matches to “Lyle,” there is strength in numbers!

✅ If you have already uploaded your raw DNA data to GEDmatch, we thank you for helping us to achieve our mission. Please understand that if your GEDmatch kit is a DNA match to Lyle, we cannot tell you if you are a close match to “Lyle,” nor can we share this information due to privacy concerns for the families involved. If you have further questions or want to learn more about our mission and methods, please follow our Facebook page and check out our website (www.dnadoeproject.org).

✅ As trite as it sounds, liking, commenting, and sharing our Facebook posts, or tagging friends helps us to increase the visibility of the project. Inviting friends who are interested in the goals of the DDP is also helpful

✅ Donating to our Doe Fund Me is of course helpful

DO YOU KNOW ME?
    Help Identify Lake Pontchartrain Jane Doe - Slidell, Louisiana - June 19, 1986

Red/Brown (Auburn) Hair, 5'2-5'4, 20-30 yrs old, perfect teeth absence of wisdom, Scars; right knee, abdomen, right wrist, prior right hip injury, possible nose surgery, breast implants, 8-12 wks pregnant, marking of a ring left hand ring finger

LSU Faces: http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=383
    NAMUS: https://identifyus.org/cases/852
    Doe: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/16ufla.html

Quote Originally Posted by folieadeuxnola View Post
    DDP Update

️ We need YOUR help!
    As many of you know, we are the DNA Doe Project, a nonprofit organization that utilizes pioneering genetic genealogy techniques to identify John and Jane Does in an effort to return them to their families. Recently we announced our first successful identification of Marcia King, previously known as “Buckskin Girl” and we are working diligently to solve our other active John and Jane Doe cases.

Our volunteers have been working around the clock to identify “Lyle Stevik”/Quinault John Doe, an unidentified individual who died in Washington state in 2001. We have been extremely fortunate to find many of his DNA matches through the online DNA database GEDmatch.com. “Lyle’s” DNA matches appear to be mainly people of Hispanic descent in Northern New Mexico and surrounding regions.

️ How you can help?
    We encourage people who are from these regions and who have used commercial DNA services such as Ancestry or 23&Me to consider downloading their raw DNA data and uploading it to GEDmatch. A DNA database is only as strong as the number of users included, and although we have many excellent matches to “Lyle,” there is strength in numbers!

If you have already uploaded your raw DNA data to GEDmatch, we thank you for helping us to achieve our mission. Please understand that if your GEDmatch kit is a DNA match to Lyle, we cannot tell you if you are a close match to “Lyle,” nor can we share this information due to privacy concerns for the families involved. If you have further questions or want to learn more about our mission and methods, please follow our Facebook page and check out our website (www.dnadoeproject.org).

As trite as it sounds, liking, commenting, and sharing our Facebook posts, or tagging friends helps us to increase the visibility of the project. Inviting friends who are interested in the goals of the DDP is also helpful

Donating to our Doe Fund Me is of course helpful
    Has it ever been suggested to seek voluntary submissions via a flyer in Ancestry and 23&Me results? That would help, even in moving beyond Lyle's case. If that ever has been spitballed, possibly start now on some way of ensuring that GEDMatch doesn't lip over into being just a second CODIS-like resource for LE, because that possibility might be a factor in hampering voluntary cooperation otherwise. Jmo, but I tend towards being very privacy-conscious, and while I'd turn someraults to help a Doe case, my inner Libertarian isn't keen on rolling out the red carpet for any kind of governmental hyperinvolvement. It's highly unlikely that I personally would be any type of a match in Lyle's case based on the groups mentioned, but I don't think I'm the only person alive who would want to err on the side of caution for fifty or a hundred years from now. Again, moo, and I'm just trying to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post
    I'm not completely sure, but I think it means there was a lot of inter-marrying of cousins (or closer relatives). JMO.
    If that is the case then could it be possible Lyle was from some isolated cult? I heard of one discovered a few years ago in Australia where it was multi-generations of one family. Only thing in that case was incest was to an extreme. Could he have even escaped a polygamist cult? The many relatives related to each other(due to many many half-siblings), the book reference (finally having freedom to read anything), and the lack of belongings when he was found.

Who Killed Bryan Smith?

Say hello 2 heaven Chris Cornell

Quote Originally Posted by aThousandYearsWide View Post
    If that is the case then could it be possible Lyle was from some isolated cult? I heard of one discovered a few years ago in Australia where it was multi-generations of one family. Only thing in that case was incest was to an extreme. Could he have even escaped a polygamist cult? The many relatives related to each other(due to many many half-siblings), the book reference (finally having freedom to read anything), and the lack of belongings when he was found.

I guess that is possible but with Lyle's case I think it's more likely to be a historical/cultural/political reason for the intermarrying. Earlier in this thread someone brought up the Genizaros. It might be helpful to read up on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen%C3%ADzaro

The take away I got from reading the wiki is that they were a Native American population sold into slavery, then treated like 2nd class citizens when they were no longer slaves. They would have intermarried among themselves mainly because of community isolation and history-- not trusting those who enslaved them in the past and not being accepted by the others either. Other small pockets of minority populations may intermarry for cultural reasons that have nothing to do with it being a cult and everything to do with preserving their heritage and way or life or simply physical isolation (small tribes living in areas difficult for others to reach like the rain forest, for example). Another possible explanation is that with some enslaved populations comes multiple generations of children conceived by force<modsnip> on the part of the slaveholders and the slaveholders descendants-- very quickly you can end up having a child who resulted from two genetic half sibling parents (I should stress I don't know if this happened specifically with the Genizaros, just giving another example of why a small population may be intermingled genetically in the distant past). All JMO.
    Last edited by sillybilly; 04-18-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Related DNA means exactly what you’re thinking. I grew up with friends that were Indians from Oklahoma. Their dad was also their great uncle. It’s apparently somewhat common in native tribes still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post
    I think you are right. That's how I perceived it.
    Michaël, please protect us all from evil.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast