Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateB

Reaction score
Please continue here.

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

Facebook: Who Is This Man? Possible Alias: Lyle Stevik
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Who-Is-This-Man-Possible-Alias-Lyle-Stevik/526230690768530

NamUs: https://identifyus.org/cases/11100

The Doe Network:
Case File 233UMWA
233UMWA1.jpg
233UMWA.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim created by David M. Morris.

Unidentified White / Native Male

Located on September 17, 2001 in Amanda Park, Grays Harbor County, Washington.
Date of death is September 16, 2001

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 6'2"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Hispanic. Black hair; hazel eyes. His hair was neatly trimmed.
Distinguishing Marks: Appendectomy scar on abdomen. He had recently lost a lot of weight (possibly 30-40 pounds). A small mole on the left side of his chin. His earlobes were attached. His appendix scar was old.
Clothing: All in very good shape were a Blue plaid shirt, gray Fruit of the Loom T-shirt, Levi 550 blue jeans (size 36-34), black Timberland boots (size 10 Medium) and a black leather belt (markings "genuine leather made in USA" along with "7301" and "L31".
Fingerprints: Available
Dentals: Available. Teeth in near perfect shape. He had orthodontic work done.
DNA: in CODIS
Other: It is possible that he spoke with a slight Canadian or similar accent.

Case History
The body of this white or Native male was located in a Quinault area motel. His death has been ruled a suicide.

He had checked into the motel using the name "Lyle Stevik" from 1019 S. Progress Avenue, Meridian, Idaho. The address he listed is for a motel. Lyle Stevik is a character in the book You Must Remember This, by Joyce Carol Oates. He indicated that he was going to stay a few more days though he had only paid for one evening. The maid entered the room on September 17, 2001 and found him hanging from the coat rack with his leather belt. He had left money on the nightstand with a note that said "For the Room". The only personal belongings in his possession was a tooth brush and paste.

He arrived by bus, possibly one that came from Port Angeles (south), but a bus came up from Aberdeen (northbound) and arrived about the same time. Neither driver was sure if he was on their bus. He arrived with no luggage, and there was no luggage, clothing, etc. in the motel dumpster. He may have come from Canada, as the clerk recalled that he had "a slight Canadian accent". The fact he wrote the word "suicide" on a piece of paper found in the trash leads authorities to believe he wrote a letter home, telling someone of his intentions, that he was going to disappear, so they aren't looking for him. He may have been dying, or suffered from depression, as he lost a lot of weight, although nothing was found at the autopsy. There were no indications that he ever wore a wedding ring. Fingerprints were sent to FBI and RCMP with negative results.

Agency Case Number:
01-7870

NCIC Number:
U960002335
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Bringing over the 2 posts by DNA Doe Project, I linked their web site and FB page

Hi folks, Someone told me about these recent posts so I registered in order to make some corrections. Colleen Fitzpatrick and I have recently started DNA Doe Project – our website (under construction) is dnadoeproject.org. Our purpose is to tackle unidentified John and Jane Does by raising funds for specialized lab testing of their DNA, then attempting to locate their families as we do when we help adoptees looking for theirs. We are working on three cases at the moment and just agreed to take on Lyle Stevik as our fourth. The ME is making arrangements to get the sample to the lab to test its quality and concentration. We have been providing details to the Reddit group and Facebook group “Can You Identify Lyle Stevik” today and people are already pledging donations to cover the expensive sequencing needed in cases like these. (He can’t spit in a vial and do and Ancestry DNA test.) We are accepting donations toward existing and future cases (by check, until paypal is set up – see our website dnadoeproject.org) but are telling people to hold off on donations earmarked specifically for Lyle, until we know the DNA is good enough to proceed. That will NOT be this weekend – more likely a couple of weeks. We’ll update all the forums and our website when we have those results. The good news is, if the DNA is sufficient, we’ve nearly reached our funding goal in the few hours since our involvement was posted.

We do want everyone to understand that the odds of successful identification are not huge – there are many challenges with these sorts of cases. So each is a gamble. We’ve put in our own funds as well. The cause is so worth it, and even a slim chance of success where CODIS and tips and all else have failed, would be phenomenal.

Thank you for your interest,

Margaret Press, PhD
Cofounder DNA Doe Project

Colleen and I have just launched our new Facebook page “DNA Doe Project” so that we can centralize any further updates on Lyle's DNA testing.

I submitted the Romanian man who went missing as a child via FB messenger. They thanked me and said they would forward it to the investigators.

Another avenue my mind went down is what if he was a fugitive? If he were here illegally from another country, he would have had one hell of a time getting out of the country right after 9-11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[FONT=&quot]UPDATE on the Lyle Stevik case: We just heard from the lab that DNA has been successfully extracted from Lyle’s blood and has passed quality control. We are now accepting donations for his case on our webpage. As soon as our funding goal for him is met, we will authorize the lab to proceed with sequencing. We thank everyone who has pledged support in advance. Please visit http://dnadoeproject.org. To donate to Lyle, click on the link “Click for a link to view our gallery of open cases.” Please follow the instructions to login as a guest.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Your donations qualify as charitable contributions. If donations to a case exceed its cost, we will use the funds for a future case. 100% of your donations go to testing costs.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]We welcome questions and encourage discussion about all of our cases on our DNA Doe Project Facebook page at www.facebook.com/DNADoeProject For information on case status and progress toward funding goals, please visit our website at dnadoeproject.org[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]UPDATE on the Lyle Stevik case: We just heard from the lab that DNA has been successfully extracted from Lyle’s blood and has passed quality control. We are now accepting donations for his case on our webpage. As soon as our funding goal for him is met, we will authorize the lab to proceed with sequencing. We thank everyone who has pledged support in advance. Please visit http://dnadoeproject.org. To donate to Lyle, click on the link “Click for a link to view our gallery of open cases.” Please follow the instructions to login as a guest.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Your donations qualify as charitable contributions. If donations to a case exceed its cost, we will use the funds for a future case. 100% of your donations go to testing costs.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]We welcome questions and encourage discussion about all of our cases on our DNA Doe Project Facebook page at www.facebook.com/DNADoeProject For information on case status and progress toward funding goals, please visit our website at dnadoeproject.org[/FONT]

Please don’t take my questions in a confrontational tone, I am simply curious. [emoji846]

Since his Dna was able to be extracted from his blood sample, and your website states extracting it that way incurs a minimal cost, how much will the complete process of extraction and testing cost?

Please don’t take my questions in a confrontational tone, I am simply curious. [emoji846]

Since his Dna was able to be extracted from his blood sample, and your website states extracting it that way incurs a minimal cost, how much will the complete process of extraction and testing cost?

They state on the the site that it costs $1,500.

They state on the the site that it costs $1,500.

Yes, but if you read further, they say if the Dna has to be extracted from bone...it can cost $750. Hang on, let me find it so I can quote it.

“The process described above assumes that DNA is already available for a Doe from the medical examiner. If no DNA is available, it will be ncessary to obtain DNA from biological material retained by the ME. The expense of trying to extract DNA from blood is minimal, but an attempted extraction from a bone or a tooth can cost up to $750 per attempt, whether or not DNA is obtained from the sample.”
http://dnadoeproject.org/DDP_DoeFundMe.php

Yes, but if you read further, they say if the Dna has to be extracted from bone...it can cost $750. Hang on, let me find it so I can quote it.

They have a blood sample for Lyle which already passed quality control so they don't need to extract from bone... they only need to extract from bone in cases where other DNA is not readily available. Bone DNA extraction does not apply in Lyle's case. They are trying to raise $1,500 for DNA sequencing and have already raised $430 thus far.

Exciting news, thank you for letting us know!

I always wonder if he was one of IK first victim. IK gets out of the military
in July 2001. 9/11 happens. He’s not in the military and it’s frustrating. His friends are prepping for war, he’s out. He meets a traveler from another country or who looks like he’s from another country, and unleashes on him. IK had a very homogeneous growing up, with exposure to racism. The crisp cash came from an ATM most likely, likely IK used the card. As cash was always a motive. No possessions would be an IK move. Plus the fact the guys hair was perfect. Staged. Victim of chance. And I still think Lyle was that far north trying to exit the USA by ferry where you didn’t need much ID, then the borders got closed down.

Israel Keyes.

Lyle's sequencing has been fully funded!

Post mortem photo ahead.. I want to add this to conversation. You Must Remember This..a story about a boxer named Lyle Stevick. Why would he know this name unless he read the book and why would he have read the book. A college student? I thought maybe he, himself could be a boxer. In his profile pic he does seem to have the flattened facial features boxers get from repeated injuries over time ( no offense) it's just MO though<modsnip>
Pic from Google search

Post mortem photo ahead.. I want to add this to conversation. You Must Remember This..a story about a boxer named Lyle Stevick. Why would he know this name unless he read the book and why would he have read the book. A college student? I thought maybe he, himself could be a boxer. In his profile pic he does seem to have the flattened facial features boxers get from repeated injuries over time ( no offense) it's just MO though
Pic from Google search

In the book the boxer's name was actually Felix Stevik. Lyle Stevik was the father who had 4 children. Felix was his brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni