Crime Scene Staging

UKGuy

Reaction score
Here are the authors take on the JonBenet case, as of 2017.

Crime Scene Staging, excerpt
Arthur S. Chancellor & Grant D. Graham
Chapter 1
THE CONCEPT OF STAGING
WHAT IS STAGING OR A STAGED CRIME SCENE?

Case Study 1-6
The entire world’s media attention was drawn to Boulder Colorado and the Christmas 1996 murder of JonBenet Ramsay, the precocious six year-old daughter of a wealthy businessman who was murdered inside her home. The case was initiated when the parents called the police reporting their daughter’s abduction, based on a two-and-half-page ransom note supposedly left behind by the kidnappers. Hours later, in a search of the residence, JonBenet was found dead in a small room in the basement. An autopsy revealed she had a skull fracture and suffered ligature strangulation. The affluence of the parents, the strange nature of the crime and her participation in many child beauty pageants, which were documented by hundreds of photographs and videos of her, fueled the media interest in this story. When she was found, she also had a ligature around her wrist as if she had been tied up sometime during the incident. America was soon divided into two camps; one believing the parents were involved and the other believing someone else entered the house and murdered JonBenet while her parents and her brother were asleep. When considering the below listed factors, this crime is consistent with a staged event. As in the Sam Sheppard case earlier, the exact motive for the murder is still not clear and leaves many questions unanswered.

• If this was a kidnapping, then why leave the body behind to be found?

• Wouldn’t killing their victim eliminate any chance to recover the ransom?

• If the motive was sexual assault, then why was there no evidence of a sexual assault present on her body or at the scene?

• Perhaps the biggest question of all is why leave the hand written note behind since it only served to provide the police their only
real forensic evidence?

• Moreover, why leave the note if no kidnapping took place and the victim is left behind deceased in the residence?

In this case, we see some of the same findings as in the Sam Sheppard and Jeffrey MacDonald cases, where we have an offender who was so clever, they managed to enter the victim’s house undetected and left without leaving any signs of their presence. In this case, the offender also had enough knowledge of the house to find his way up a flight of stairs to JonBenet’s second-floor bedroom, was able to remove her from her bed without causing her to wake up or prevented her from calling out, and ultimately move her down two flights of stairs into the basement. At some time after she was removed from her bedroom, she ate some pineapple (pineapple was found in her stomach at autopsy and her parents denied giving her any). Sometime later, she suffered blunt force trauma to her head, fracturing her skull and was then strangled using two different ligatures; the material of which both came from within the house. She was then wrapped up in a blanket and placed into another basement room. At some time during the incident, the offender also had to write the two-andhalf-page ransom note and leave it on the stairs where it was found. But, this same clever offender was so unprepared and the crime so unplanned that everything used in the commission of the crime originated from the scene. The hand-written note was written from a pen that was recovered by police inside the kitchen and the paper came from a writing tablet that was also in the kitchen area. it was also unlike any ransom note the FBI had ever seen. Normally, a ransom note is very short and to the point. The note left behind by the suspect was almost a manifesto. Lastly, but normally an initial consideration during an investigation, is, exactly what was the motive behind the entire incident? Sexual assault? Kidnapping? Even today, the exact motive behind the entire incident is still unclear, but the only real crime that was committed was JonBenet’s murder.

Crime Scene Staging 2017
Arthur S. Chancellor & Grant D. Graham.

CHARLES C THOMAS • PUBLISHER, LTD.
2600 South First Street
Springfield, Illinois 62704

But, we didn’t want to write a text as some scholarly research on the subject. We wanted to write a text that can be used as a reference for practitioners as they conduct their own crime scene examinations and recognize when a scene may have been staged; or that the offender or “victim” is trying to misdirect a police investigation. We wrote this text for detectives, crime scene investigators, and prosecutors and it is designed to help those actively engaged in conducting criminal investigations identify the red flags or those common findings at a crime scenes that point to the scene being staged or altered and thereby assist in the investigative process.

Interesting. Thanks. Couple of minor things:

If the motive was sexual assault, then why was there no evidence of a sexual assault present on her body or at the scene?

The autopsy report does suggest genital trauma of some kind:

On the anterior aspect of the perineum, along the edges of closure of the labia majora, is a small amount of dried blood. A similar small amount of dried and semifluid blood is present on the skin of the fourchette and in the vestibule. Inside the vestibule of the vagina and along the distal vaginal wall is reddish hyperemia. This hyperemia is circumferential and perhaps more noticeable on the right side and posteriorly. The hyperemia also appears to extend just inside the vaginal orifice. A 1 cm red-purple area of abrasion is located on the right posterolateral area of the 1 x 1 cm hymenal orifice....On the right labia majora is a very faint area of violet discoloration measuring approximately one inch by three-eighths of an inch....A minimal amount of semiliquid thin watery red fluid is present in the vaginal vault."

(pineapple was found in her stomach at autopsy and her parents denied giving her any)

The autopsy report describes the partially digested contents of JBR's small intestine as "...fragmented pieces of yellow to light green-tan apparent vegetable or fruit material which may represent fragments of pineapple." Not absolutely pineapple, then.

[snip]

The autopsy report describes the partially digested contents of JBR's small intestine as "...fragmented pieces of yellow to light green-tan apparent vegetable or fruit material which may represent fragments of pineapple." Not absolutely pineapple, then.

That's the visual part of the autopsy. Next the contents go to the lab.

"... and was then strangled using two different ligatures; the material of which both came from within the house."

What's the reference about? UK
Evidence of two ligature strangulations, not
manual strangulation?
or as suggested,
with the collar of her own shirt.

"... and was then strangled using two different ligatures; the material of which both came from within the house."

What's the reference about? UK
Evidence of two ligature strangulations, not
manual strangulation?
or as suggested,
with the collar of her own shirt.

Tadpole12,
I thought members might like to see another perspective on the case, particularly from a staging book. Also the reference to no evidence of a sexual assault, two ligature strangulations, etc, made me wonder if they knew something we did not, or they did not do their homework, a lot of the quotes and citations in the book are from websites.

Their analysis of the JonBenet case is not meant to be rigorous, its one of many outlining the different facets of staging. They suggests splitting staging into two types, primary and secondary, e.g. undoing might represent secondary staging as might an autoerotic coverup, as the intent is not to impede or deflect attention away from particular aspects of the crime-scene.

Ah, thanks. Are the lab reports accessible online? I assume there are several.

Steve Thomas talks about the contents from her stomach being tested for time of death. Also:

"Our experts studied the pineapple in the stomach and reported that it was fresh-cut pineapple, consistent down to the rind with what had been found in the bowl. It was solid proof that it wasn’t canned pineapple, and what were the chances that an intruder would have brought in a fresh pineapple to cut up for his victim?"

Thomas, Steve. JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation (p. 192). St. Martin's Press. Kindle Edition.

Here are the authors take on the JonBenet case, as of 2017.

Crime Scene Staging, excerpt
Arthur S. Chancellor & Grant D. Graham
....why leave a handwritten note behind since it provided the police with their only clue to the kidnappers' identity?....

That's an interesting point. The intruder was careful to take the pages before the "practice note." Bleed-through on the "practice note" showed an earlier draft of the ransom note according to Steve Thomas, and there were nine pages missing in all from the pad, indicating multiple drafts, so we can assume the ransom note/letter was important to get just right even as it was important to get rid of the early attempts.

There was something huge going on in 1996, I realize. The Unabomber aka FC, Ted Kaczynski, was arrested in April. He was caught only because the previous year he had convinced the FBI, NYT and WaPo to publish his 35,000 word manifesto, "Industrial Society and its Future." Kaczynski's brother David's wife thought the manifesto sounded like crazy brother-in-law Ted and convinced her husband to read it. David recognized the term "cool- headed logicians" as one of his brother's expressions. After Kaczynski's arrest, the remaining months of 1996 were full of newspaper stories about the Unabomber and how he got caught because he left his linguistic fingerprints in plain sight. Kaczynski's numerous literary quirks were instrumental in getting a search warrant for his Montana property.

Patsy must have been aware of this, yet she labored over a long note full of Ramsey inside baseball. Everybody else in the world would have gone the other way, made the note short or not have written one at all. What was the idea? I think she would be the David in this scenario and John would be the Ted. Eventually she would (reluctantly) concede that there were phrases in the note that her husband John liked and used. Patsy did something along these lines when questioned about the Bible that was the source of "SBTC." Asked about that Bible, she said that it was John's Bible and he read it. She almost didn't recognize it. But Patsy could easily have said that the Bible was a gift and neither one of them read it. Instead she dropped John in it.

They wrote a ransom note to divert LE's attention to places and people OUTSIDE the home.

They wrote a ransom note to divert LE's attention to places and people OUTSIDE the home.

Then "they" did a really bad job.

No doubt making LE suspect an intruder would be the best case for Patsy, but she couldn't really expect that. The police would fasten on someone inside the home, which is what happened; John probably wouldn't support her. Let them suspect him.

I realize that my post won't make sense to anyone who can't allow for the possibility that John slept through the night. That's a shame because Patsy's doubling down reveals her to be a risk-taker with a supple mind.

Then "they" did a really bad job.

Which is what I would expect from people like this.

No doubt making LE suspect an intruder would be the best case for Patsy, but she couldn't really expect that. The police would fasten on someone inside the home, which is what happened; John probably wouldn't support her. Let them suspect him.

Just for perspective: she didn't have to fool the police. She had to fool one juror out of twelve.

I realize that my post won't make sense to anyone who can't allow for the possibility that John slept through the night. That's a shame because Patsy's doubling down reveals her to be a risk-taker with a supple mind.

I don't doubt that. Still doesn't convince me he was asleep.

...Still doesn't convince me he was asleep.

Nothing in my post was intended to convince anyone that John was asleep. But the ability to entertain the idea that he was asleep might be necessary to understand what I'm getting at with it.

That's an interesting point. The intruder was careful to take the pages before the "practice note." Bleed-through on the "practice note" showed an earlier draft of the ransom note according to Steve Thomas, and there were nine pages missing in all from the pad, indicating multiple drafts, so we can assume the ransom note/letter was important to get just right even as it was important to get rid of the early attempts.

There was something huge going on in 1996, I realize. The Unabomber aka FC, Ted Kaczynski, was arrested in April. He was caught only because the previous year he had convinced the FBI, NYT and WaPo to publish his 35,000 word manifesto, "Industrial Society and its Future." Kaczynski's brother David's wife thought the manifesto sounded like crazy brother-in-law Ted and convinced her husband to read it. David recognized the term "cool- headed logicians" as one of his brother's expressions. After Kaczynski's arrest, the remaining months of 1996 were full of newspaper stories about the Unabomber and how he got caught because he left his linguistic fingerprints in plain sight. Kaczynski's numerous literary quirks were instrumental in getting a search warrant for his Montana property.

Patsy must have been aware of this, yet she labored over a long note full of Ramsey inside baseball. Everybody else in the world would have gone the other way, made the note short or not have written one at all. What was the idea? I think she would be the David in this scenario and John would be the Ted. Eventually she would (reluctantly) concede that there were phrases in the note that her husband John liked and used. Patsy did something along these lines when questioned about the Bible that was the source of "SBTC." Asked about that Bible, she said that it was John's Bible and he read it. She almost didn't recognize it. But Patsy could easily have said that the Bible was a gift and neither one of them read it. Instead she dropped John in it.

fr brown,
You could be forgiven for thinking maybe Patsy over-engineered her staging deliberately? Patsy graduated magna *advertiser censored* laude with a degree in journalism from the University of West University, so she knew all about how to construct narrative.

The KISS case is that a Ramsey killed JonBenet upstairs and one of the parents decided her death had to be staged downstairs in the basement so they could all claim it had nothing to do with the family, so all the mistakes in the staging are secondary to the main intent to create a smoke screen over JonBenet's death.

Nearly everything found on JonBenet's person in the wine-cellar does nothing for a kidnapping scenario. i.e. size-12's, BR's longjohns, Gap Top, broken paintbrush and ligature, white blanket, etc.

The ransom note is pure fiction and exudes Patsy's desire for drama, but as noted, likely even by Patsy herself, she is adding her own forensic signature to the case.

It appears Patsy was concerned enough to get the staging details that relate to the basement correct, but what about JonBenet's bedroom, how come that does not match the Ramsey storyline?

An intruder lifting a sleeping child from a bed should not disturb the bedclothes to any great degree.

I've never seen a PDI theory that successfully explains all the above elements they are just glossed over as incidental facets of the staging.

fr brown,
You could be forgiven for thinking maybe Patsy over-engineered her staging deliberately? Patsy graduated magna *advertiser censored* laude with a degree in journalism from the University of West Virginia, so she knew all about how to construct narrative.

The KISS case is that a Ramsey killed JonBenet upstairs and one of the parents decided her death had to be staged downstairs in the basement so they could all claim it had nothing to do with the family, so all the mistakes in the staging are secondary to the main intent to create a smoke screen over JonBenet's death.

Nearly everything found on JonBenet's person in the wine-cellar does nothing for a kidnapping scenario. i.e. size-12's, BR's longjohns, Gap Top, broken paintbrush and ligature, white blanket, etc.

The ransom note is pure fiction and exudes Patsy's desire for drama, but as noted, likely even by Patsy herself, she is adding her own forensic signature to the case.

It appears Patsy was concerned enough to get the staging details that relate to the basement correct, but what about JonBenet's bedroom, how come that does not match the Ramsey storyline?

An intruder lifting a sleeping child from a bed should not disturb the bedclothes to any great degree.

I've never seen a PDI theory that successfully explains all the above elements they are just glossed over as incidental facets of the staging.

If I could understand the above elements, I'd make a stab at addressing them. I don't, for instance, understand the point you're making about her bed clothes. Steve Thomas said that her bed sheets smelled of urine. That's in line with the police hypothesis that JonBenet wetting herself (and the red turtleneck she was put to bed in) was the trigger that set Patsy off.

JonBenet wasn't kidnapped so it's not too surprising that most elements of the crime scene don't fit a kidnapping scenario. The only thing that does (that I can think of) is the ransom note.

As far as John's involvement goes, it would be best to imagine yourself as a responding officer. You don't know what's happened yet and don't have an opinion. You're confronted by two people, neither of whom looks like they just got out of bed. What can you do to corroborate what they're telling you?

If I could understand the above elements, I'd make a stab at addressing them. I don't, for instance, understand the point you're making about her bed clothes. Steve Thomas said that her bed sheets smelled of urine. That's in line with the police hypothesis that JonBenet wetting herself (and the red turtleneck she was put to bed in) was the trigger that set Patsy off.

JonBenet wasn't kidnapped so it's not too surprising that most elements of the crime scene don't fit a kidnapping scenario. The only thing that does (that I can think of) is the ransom note.

As far as John's involvement goes, it would be best to imagine yourself as a responding officer. You don't know what's happened yet and don't have an opinion. You're confronted by two people, neither of whom looks like they just got out of bed. What can you do to corroborate what they're telling you?

fr brown
I don't, for instance, understand the point you're making about her bed clothes. Steve Thomas said that her bed sheets smelled of urine.
Apples and pears. What you are referring to is what the police theory might be, what I'm drawing your attention to is what the Ramsey's said actually took place.

The point is, JonBenet's bedroom, unlike the wine-cellar crime-scene has not been staged to match the Ramsey's assumed version of events !

Its not that her bed is a mess, pillow at the bottom, pajama bottoms missing, cover askew, the floor strewn with disparate objects, including, alleged by James Kolar, Burke's fecally stained pajama bottoms, etc.

No attempt has been made to morph the bedroom scene to that of the night before.

So if you think JonBenet was not kidnapped why do we have a ransom note?

What can you do to corroborate what they're telling you?
Compare the forensic evidence with their version of events. JR says he moved the samsonite suitcase, really why? JR says he broke the basement window months ago, really, not that night?

Then there is the chair:
John Ramsey reported finding a chair blocking the door to the train room when he was in the basement on the morning of December 26. In his 1998 police interviews he stated: "I went in this room here. This door was kind of blocked. We had a bunch of junk down here and there was a chair that was in front of the door. Some old things. I moved the chair, went into this room, went back in here. This window was open, maybe that far." It is clear from the last sentence that John is referring to the train room.

Fleet White, who had searched the basement that morning prior to John (6:06 AM), did not report this chair blocking the door even though he reported seeing the train room window.

Then there is the 911 call where allegedly Burke Ramsey's voice can be heard talking to his parents. When this was drawn to their attention the parents revised their version of events to include Burke Ramsey being wide awake during the 911 cal and not sound asleep and previously claimed !

So the above refer to many instances where JR plays an active role during the kidnapping phase and after.

So if the case is PDI why did Patsy care about detail down in the basement but not either in JonBenet's bedroom or the breakfast bar?

fr brown

Apples and pears. What you are referring to is what the police theory might be, what I'm drawing your attention to is what the Ramsey's said actually took place.

The point is, JonBenet's bedroom, unlike the wine-cellar crime-scene has not been staged to match the Ramsey's assumed version of events !

Its not that her bed is a mess, pillow at the bottom, pajama bottoms missing, cover askew, the floor strewn with disparate objects, including, alleged by James Kolar, Burke's fecally stained pajama bottoms, etc.

No attempt has been made to morph the bedroom scene to that of the night before.

So if you think JonBenet was not kidnapped why do we have a ransom note?

Compare the forensic evidence with their version of events. JR says he moved the samsonite suitcase, really why? JR says he broke the basement window months ago, really, not that night?

Then there is the chair:

Then there is the 911 call where allegedly Burke Ramsey's voice can be heard talking to his parents. When this was drawn to their attention the parents revised their version of events to include Burke Ramsey being wide awake during the 911 cal and not sound asleep and previously claimed !

So the above refer to many instances where JR plays an active role during the kidnapping phase and after.

So if the case is PDI why did Patsy care about detail down in the basement but not either in JonBenet's bedroom or the breakfast bar?

Personally, I can't think of how I would stage the kidnapping of a child from a bedroom. Fingernail marks on the head board?

Fleet White said that he moved the suitcase. I think he said he saw bits of glass on the floor. It's in Steve Thomas's book.

People make an enormous deal about the Ramseys lying about Burke being awake during the 911 call. I figured out that for some folks that means that Burke was awake all night and therefore not ignorant of the night's events; for others it means the Ramseys lied about it and that means they're both guilty of murder. I don't know if Burke's voice is on the tape or not. It would not be surprising for him to get up when he heard his mother screaming. And it would not be surprising for an innocent Burke to ask, "What did you find?" It would be more surprising if he asked that in full knowledge of the night's activities. He would already know, wouldn't he?

The ransom note delayed the finding of the body: French (iirc) didn't open the wine cellar door because the way the door locked meant that a kidnapper couldn't have gotten out that way. I don't know if Patsy foresaw that. She seems to have been wicked smart.

The purpose, contents and length of the ransom note I've discussed in an earlier post which you have apparently not bothered to read.

Personally, I can't think of how I would stage the kidnapping of a child from a bedroom. Fingernail marks on the head board?

Fleet White said that he moved the suitcase. I think he said he saw bits of glass on the floor. It's in Steve Thomas's book.

People make an enormous deal about the Ramseys lying about Burke being awake during the 911 call. I figured out that for some folks that means that Burke was awake all night and therefore not ignorant of the night's events; for others it means the Ramseys lied about it and that means they're both guilty of murder. I don't know if Burke's voice is on the tape or not. It would not be surprising for him to get up when he heard his mother screaming. And it would not be surprising for an innocent Burke to ask, "What did you find?" It would be more surprising if he asked that in full knowledge of the night's activities. He would already know, wouldn't he?

The ransom note delayed the finding of the body: French (iirc) didn't open the wine cellar door because the way the door locked meant that a kidnapper couldn't have gotten out that way. I don't know if Patsy foresaw that. She seems to have been wicked smart.

The purpose, contents and length of the ransom note I've discussed in an earlier post which you have apparently not bothered to read.

fr brown.
Apples and Oranges again.

Sure, neither do I know, but you know what, Patsy never bothered anyway !

Yes, FW said all that, but who moved the suitcase from upstairs to the basement, who put their hand up for that one : JR.

Ransom Note analysis has been done to death, everyone is at liberty to interpret as they wish. Yet why would Patsy take the risk of revealing her hand in JonBenet's homicide by penning a ransom note, when her intent is to mask any involvement on her part?

ST IRMI
p20
"...laid out caught his attention, and on the floor be-neath the window
he found a piece of glass,
which he placed on the ledge.
He dropped to his hands and knees searching for other pieces,
and moved a suitcase in doing so. Unknowingly,
he was altering a vital part of the crime scene
In com-ing months claims would be..."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online