Reaction score
This case is now 25 years old...

------------------

Launa Merritt
Missing since February 23, 1983 from Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Clothing: Usually wears jeans and T-shirt.
AKA: Tina
Dentals: Available in NCIC

Circumstances of Disappearance

Launa Merritt telephoned her grandmother, early in the morning of February 23, 1983, and told her she was with friends and would be home a little later. Launa said she called from a pay phone at James and Townsend streets.

Merritt often ran away, and she had been arrested and charged with prostitution several months before she disappeared. The day after her disappearance, she was due in court on the soliciting arrest.

Earlier, she had told her grandmother if she didn't hear from her in a month's time, to tell police about one of the men she had been hanging out with.

Merritt used to go to East Syracuse Minoa schools, when she lived with her mother in Fremont. She dropped out of school and went to live with her grandmother. After a while she started to "hang out" downtown. Her grandmother did not believe she was involved with drugs or drinking. She is described as very trusting.

As far as her family know, the only thing she had with her when she disappeared was a grocery bag of clothes. Her makeup and toothbrush were left at home. She also had no money with her.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Syracuse Police Department
315-442-5200

NCIC Number: M-098160047

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Syracuse Herald-Journal
The Doe Network: Case File 2447DFNY

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2447dfny.html

I live here in Syracuse and back at that time I lived close to the area where she went missing at the same time. Its not a good area..We are the same age..I did not remember her,but I could have met her at a party-but I am wondering if the man she told her grandmother is someone I know..they both are from the E.Syracuse area..I was hoping a family member would be here, so I could ask about this man.

Updated NCMEC with age progression...

DOB: Oct 10, 1966
Age Now: 46
Missing: Feb 22, 1983
Missing From:
SYRACUSE
NY
United States
Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Height: 4'11" (150cm)
Weight: 145lbs (66kg)

Launa's photo is shown age-progressed to 44 years. She was last seen on February 22, 1983. She may be in the company of an adult male. Launa has a surgical scar on her abdomen. She may go by the alias name's Tina, Colleen, or Lisa.

NCMC1162984c1.jpg

NCMC1162984e1.jpg

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...seNum=1162984&orgPrefix=NCMC&searchLang=en_US

The Doe Network:
Case File 2447DFNY
cache.php

Launa Renee Merritt

Vital Statistics

• [*]Date of Birth: October 10, 1966
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    [*]Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11"; 130-145 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    [*]Marks/Scars: Surgical scar on abdomen
    [*]Clothing: Usually wears jeans and T-shirt. Brown rabbit fur coat, and brown boots.
  • AKA: Tina, Colleen, and Lisa
  • Dentals: Available in NCIC
  • Fingerprints: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance Launa Merritt telephoned her grandmother, early in the morning of February 23, 1983, and told her she was with friends and would be home a little later. Launa said she called from a pay phone at James and Townsend streets. Merritt often ran away, and she had been arrested and charged with prostitution several months before she disappeared. The day after her disappearance, she was due in court on the soliciting arrest. Earlier, she had told her grandmother if she didn't hear from her in a month's time, to tell police about one of the men she had been hanging out with. Merritt used to go to East Syracuse Minoa schools, when she lived with her mother in Fremont. She dropped out of school and went to live with her grandmother. After a while she started to "hang out" downtown. Her grandmother did not believe she was involved with drugs or drinking. She is described as very trusting. As far as her family know, the only thing she had with her when she disappeared was a grocery bag of clothes. Her makeup and toothbrush were left at home. She also had no money with her.
Investigators If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:Syracuse Police Department 315-442-5200

Local Case Number: 83-272298/

NamUs MP#4644

NCIC Number: M-098160047
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information
: Syracuse Herald-Journal

Syracuse Police Department NCMEC

Doe link
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2447dfny.html

Launa Renee Merritt – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Launa Renee Merritt
  • launa_renee_merritt_1.jpg
  • launa_renee_merritt_2.jpg
Launa, circa 1983; Age-progression to age 44 (circa 2010)

• Missing Since02/23/1983
  • Missing FromSyracuse, New York
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth10/10/1966 (52)
  • Age16 years old
  • Height and Weight4'11, 130 - 145 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionPossibly a brown rabbit fur coat, a t-shirt, jeans and brown boots.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Launa may use the first names Colleen, Lisa and/or Tina. She has a surgical scar on her abdomen.
Details of Disappearance
Launa was last heard from on February 23, 1983, when she called her grandmother. She said she was calling from a pay phone at James and Townsend streets in Syracuse, New York.

Launa said she was with some friends and would be home later. She has never been heard from again. She wasn't carrying her makeup, a toothbrush or any money with her at the time of her disappearance; she only had a grocery bag full of clothes.

Launa formerly lived in Fremont, New York with her mother and attended East Syracuse Minoa schools. Prior to her disappearance, she dropped out of school and went to live with her grandmother. She is described as having a very trusting nature. Launa frequented the Eastwood neighborhood of Syracuse.

She frequently ran away from home and was arrested for prostitution at least once, several months before she went missing. The day after her disappearance, she was scheduled to appear in court on the prostitution charge.

Launa's grandmother stated she did not believe Launa was involved with drugs or alcohol in 1983. Prior to her disappearance, Launa had told her grandmother that if she ever went a month or more without contact, her grandmother should tell the police about one of the men she associated with.

Launa wasn't reported missing until March 16, three weeks after her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number1162984
Demographics
Missing Age17 Years
Current Age53 Years
First NameLauna
Middle Name--
Last NameMerritt
Nickname/AliasTina

SexFemale
Height4' 11" (59 Inches)
Weight130 - 145 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactFebruary 23, 1983
NamUs Case CreatedJanuary 9, 2010
Last Known Location Map
LocationSyracuse, New York
CountyOnondaga County

Circumstances of DisappearanceLauna Merritt was last heard from when she telephoned her grandmother early on the morning of February 23, 1983 and told her she was with friends and would be home a little later. Launa said she called from a pay phone at James and Townsend streets. As far as her family knows, the only thing Launa had with her when she disappeared was a grocery bag of clothes. Her makeup and toothbrush were left at home. She didn't have any money with her.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Launa usually wears jeans and a T-shirt and a brown rabbit fur coat

Footwear
Launa usually wears brown boots

R/O

upload_2019-11-21_13-26-14.png

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Who’s this man she was hanging with? “One of the men?” MOO
Exactly - who was this man? Her pimp or someone grooming her? If she had a home with Gma, why turn to prostitution and running away? Who and what was she running from in 1983?

Who were these friends? Did she plan to walk home or was someone going to give her a ride home? If she only took some clothing, not her hygiene items, then she was not planning on being gone long. Perhaps a night out with friends only.

I wonder where Mom & Dad were, why she dropped out of school and why she was living with Gma. She definitely got mixed up in the wrong crowd. If she was mad at Gma, or didn't like the environment, would she have really called home in the wee hours of the morning?

Launa Merritt telephoned her grandmother, early in the morning of February 23, 1983, and told her she was with friends and would be home a little later. Launa said she called from a pay phone at James and Townsend streets. Merritt often ran away, and she had been arrested and charged with prostitution several months before she disappeared. The day after her disappearance, she was due in court on the soliciting arrest. Earlier, she had told her grandmother if she didn't hear from her in a month's time, to tell police about one of the men she had been hanging out with. Merritt used to go to East Syracuse Minoa schools, when she lived with her mother in Fremont. She dropped out of school and went to live with her grandmother. After a while she started to "hang out" downtown. Her grandmother did not believe she was involved with drugs or drinking. She is described as very trusting. As far as her family know, the only thing she had with her when she disappeared was a grocery bag of clothes. Her makeup and toothbrush were left at home. She also had no money with her.

She was due in court on soliciting charges the day after she went missing...wonder if her pimp “made her disappear”to keep her from giving his name up to LE. Who was this guy? MOO

Hi!
I am Launa's half sister. I never met her, as I was born in 1986 but I can help clear up some things.
She was raped when she was younger by a family member, which made her have some issues, and rebel.
The man she got roped into is a notorious gang member in Syracuse named Harold Washington. Last time I brought up his name I was told I would wind up like her if I pressed further. He was her pimp.

Our dad, Barry Merritt, went to his house to confront him prior her disappearance and wound up being arrested for assault. Also, at this point in time her mom and our dad were divorced and he was married to my mom. Launa did stay with them briefly in Eastwood after she ran away from her mother's home

I was told by my other half sister that they did find her shoe in his backyard during the brief investigation that happened, but I can not find any solid evidence on this.

We presume she is deceased but are unsure if she was killed in Syracuse or if she was trafficked to another city.

Also, there was several murders in the area at the time which were focused on younger women downtown Syracuse. I will have to look for articles in that to post.

Happy that she is on here and I am hoping one of the Jane Doe's on here could be her

Last edited:
I live here in Syracuse and back at that time I lived close to the area where she went missing at the same time. Its not a good area..We are the same age..I did not remember her,but I could have met her at a party-but I am wondering if the man she told her grandmother is someone I know..they both are from the E.Syracuse area..I was hoping a family member would be here, so I could ask about this man.

His name is Harold Washington. He is well known on the South Side.

Hi!
I am Launa's half sister. I never met her, as I was born in 1986 but I can help clear up some things.
She was raped when she was younger by a family member, which made her have some issues, and rebel.
The man she got roped into is a notorious gang member in Syracuse named Harold Washington. Last time I brought up his name I was told I would wind up like her if I pressed further. He was her pimp.

Our dad, Barry Merritt, went to his house to confront him prior her disappearance and wound up being arrested for assault. Also, at this point in time her mom and our dad were divorced and he was married to my mom. Launa did stay with them briefly in Eastwood after she ran away from her mother's home

I was told by my other half sister that they did find her shoe in his backyard during the brief investigation that happened, but I can not find any solid evidence on this.

We presume she is deceased but are unsure if she was killed in Syracuse or if she was trafficked to another city.

Also, there was several murders in the area at the time which were focused on youanger women downtown Syracuse. I will have to look for articles in that to post.

Happy that she is on here and I am hoping one of the Jane Doe's on here could be her
Welcome to Websleuths! I’m so sorry this is happening to your family. Please work with the moderator to become an approved Verified Insider. It’s a simple process. Click the blue Report link on your post and add a note that you would like to become a VI. This will allow you to provide information without a main stream media link. Glad to have you here and truly hope we can all help you and your family.

Welcome to Websleuths! I’m so sorry this is happening to your family. Please work with the moderator to become an approved Verified Insider. It’s a simple process. Click the blue Report link on your post and add a note that you would like to become a VI. This will allow you to provide information without a main stream media link. Glad to have you here and truly hope we can all help you and your family.

Thank you for your help! She is still thought of and I know they hope to be able to have closure, myself as well.

His name is Harold Washington. He is well known on the South Side.
Be careful naming someone without being a Verified Insider or supplying a main stream media link in which the person named has been identified by law enforcement as the perp. Your posts may be deleted.

LMerritt.jpg

Launa Renee Merritt

Vital Statistics

• Date of Birth: October 10, 1966
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11"; 130-145 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    • Marks/Scars: Surgical scar on abdomen
    • Clothing: Usually wears jeans and T-shirt. Brown rabbit fur coat, and brown boots.
    • AKA: Tina, Colleen, and Lisa
    • Dentals: Available in NCIC
    • Fingerprints: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance

Launa Merritt telephoned her grandmother, early in the morning of February 23, 1983, and told her she was with friends and would be home a little later. Launa said she called from a pay phone at James and Townsend streets.

Merritt often ran away, and she had been arrested and charged with prostitution several months before she disappeared. The day after her disappearance, she was due in court on the soliciting arrest.

Earlier, she had told her grandmother if she didn't hear from her in a month's time, to tell police about one of the men she had been hanging out with.

Merritt used to go to East Syracuse Minoa schools, when she lived with her mother in Fremont. She dropped out of school and went to live with her grandmother. After a while she started to "hang out" downtown. Her grandmother did not believe she was involved with drugs or drinking. She is described as very trusting.

As far as her family know, the only thing she had with her when she disappeared was a grocery bag of clothes. Her makeup and toothbrush were left at home. She also had no money with her.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

315-442-5200

Local Case Number: 83-272298/NamUs MP#4644

NCIC Number:
M-098160047

Source Information:
Syracuse Herald-Journal
NCMEC
The Doe Network: Case File 2447DFNY

Be careful naming someone without being a Verified Insider or supplying a main stream media link in which the person named has been identified by law enforcement as the perp. Your posts may be deleted.

Thanks, I have requested to be a VI. There are no media articles, just the arrest my dad had after assaulting the guy. Thank you

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back