Anthony A Shore, Death Row, & JonBenet?

thelmadawg

Reaction score
Anthony Allen Shore

This man is currently on death row in Houston, Texas. I was stunned to learn of his MO and its similarity to the JonBenet Ramsey murder. His targets were young females, and children, including a 9 year old girl. He employed garrotes and sticks to commit the murders. Some were abductions. Some were home invasions. He was convicted in 1997-8 for the sexual molestation of his own children, at which time his DNA was entered into CODIS. It wasn't until 2003 that a codis match identified him with an unsolved murder; later leading to a confesssion of additional murders and a death sentence in 2004.

While his KNOWN murders were commited in the Houston Area, some investigators feel there are more. He was apparently a high IQ psychopath who was perfectly capable of planning, stalking and executing his killings. If, as some believe, the ransom note is a ruse, its purpose, perhaps, was to allow the killer ample time to leave the area. It's about 15 hours from Houston to Boulder.

Interestingly, Shore worked many years for Southern Bell Telephone Company -- i.e., SBTC

My question for you experienced sleuthers are:

1. What is the current state of DNA matching in the JonBenet case? His dna wasn't entered into CODIS until 1998, and the victim match wasn't until 2003.

2. Has this man ever been identified and/or eliminated as a possible suspect?

3. Do we specifically know if JonBenet appeared in any pageants or publicity in the Houston area shortly before her death?

4. How common is this particular comination: children murdered by a pedophile stranger, home invastion, with the specific mo of garrote, molestation and physical violence?

I'm including a few snippets of information about this man and links to two sites with some information about him. Thanks for any insight you could provide.

"Several jurors appeared horrified, with their hands covering their faces, when listening to testimony from one woman who said Shore broke into her family's home in 1993 when she was 14, tied her up and raped her..."He said in a calm voice, 'I'm just here to rob your house,' " said the woman, now 25. Shore then covered her eyes and mouth with duct tape and bound her hands behind her back, she said....'I had to do something'."He used a knife to cut off my panties," the woman said. "As I was screaming, he got upset and told me I was being too loud." ..Then she felt hands around her throat. "I kind of came out of my stupor and realized I had to do something. If I don't do something, I'm going to die," she said...She was able to kick him away, but he threatened her before leaving the house..."He said he knows everything about me. He'd been watching me come home from school. He knew that I played soccer,"

"Shore, 42, strangled three of the female victims with cord or rope as he sexually assaulted them."

"Shore has admitted killing Laurie Lee Tremblay, 15, who was found dead in September 1986; Dana Sanchez, 16, found dead in July 1995; and Diana
Rebollar, 9, found dead in April 1994. All 4 were strangled, and 3 were sexually assaulted, prosecutors said."

"The state of Texas will execute an admitted serial killer. A jury in Houston has convicted and sentenced Anthony Shore for strangling a 21-year-old Houston woman 12 years ago...Shore admits to killing Maria del Carmen Estrada as well as two teenagers and a 9-year-old girl between 1986 and 1995. All of his victims were strangled and assaulted. .."A monster, absolute horrendous monster, capable of things that made this jury cringe as we showed them this week," Terese Buess, prosecutor, said...Shore will not be tried for the other three murders because he received the death penalty for the murder of Estrada. . . . . . ."

Links:

http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkiller_news/SHORE_anthony_allen.php

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2004-07-29/news/feature_1.html

Patsy and JonBenet went to Texas - re the story about Patsy returning with a "large rock". I think the hair dying strated round about then too.

The DNA was entered into CODIS 2/3 years ago now with no matches - however - it is by no means certain that the DNA is the killer's. Ramsey supporters have ruled out a few good suspects because of that DNA!

This is interesting. What is known about this guys movements in 1996/97?

thelmadawg said:
Anthony Allen Shore
Interestingly, Shore worked many years for Southern Bell Telephone Company -- i.e., SBTC
nice linkage there!

thelmadawg said:
4. How common is this particular comination: children murdered by a pedophile stranger, home invastion, with the specific mo of garrote, molestation and physical violence?

Breaking and entering is very common, the pedophile designation is inherent in the crime itself, the garroting, and/or duct taping and violent molestation is prevalent behaviour. There have been many recent cases.

Do we know when Patsy and Jonbenet were in Texas? Or, is there a point of reference I can check?

I've looked for additional info on this man, but no, I don't know his whereabouts during the period.

thelmadawg said:
Do we know when Patsy and Jonbenet were in Texas? Or, is there a point of reference I can check?

I've looked for additional info on this man, but no, I don't know his whereabouts during the period.
Check out an interview with Judith Phillips and Mary Suma. I'm sure it was Judith who mentioned the trip to Texas (I'm sure it was Texas and not California).

I'm rather busy just now or I'd do some research for you.

Was he fired from SBTC?

"thelmadawg,

It would be interesting to know what kinds of knots he used on those cords or ropes"

It would indeed! Looking at the larger rope found upstairs, and the actual garrote device, I did a search for telephone lineman gear. Shore was a telephone lineman for SBTC. I was intrigued to find that the "prusik" knot rope and lanyards used by lineman, as well as other tree climbers, was almost exactly (from my novice viewpoint) the knot employed in JonBenet's garrote. I'm sure this knot is used by many, but given this man's history, it's another interesting aspect.

See this link and scroll down a bit until you get the prusik rope, and beneath that the prusik lanyards.

http://www.pelicanrope.com/ar.htm

And, yes, he was fired from SBTC. Not sure exactly when.

I haven't yet been able to find an image of the garrote devices he used.

Wow, Thelma. Good thinking - very, very interesting.

UK guy - Is this a common thing to occur, for a pedophile to break into someone's house and abuse the child in the home with classic sexual SM/Bondage items? It seems extremely rare to me.

"The DNA was entered into CODIS 2/3 years ago now with no matches - however - it is by no means certain that the DNA is the killer's. Ramsey supporters have ruled out a few good suspects because of that DNA!"

I forgot to mention that when he gave DNA, it was during the time of the Houston criminal lab meltdown and ultimate closing of that division. So, it's hard to say when his DNA actually hit CODIS. The only thing we know is that a match was made sometime during 2003, followed by his conviction in 2004.

Jayelles said:
Patsy and JonBenet went to Texas - re the story about Patsy returning with a "large rock". I think the hair dying strated round about then too.

The DNA was entered into CODIS 2/3 years ago now with no matches - however - it is by no means certain that the DNA is the killer's. Ramsey supporters have ruled out a few good suspects because of that DNA!

This is interesting. What is known about this guys movements in 1996/97?
Thanks: Here is a snippet from that interview. I wonder if this was pageant related, and if so, what pageant? Does anyone have a list of pageants, locations and dates for JB?

"JP: Yeah. And then (couldn't hear).......the hair dye. It was the summer of I think it was 95. She came back, Patsy came back, I saw her early after they had returned, hadn't seen JonBenét , but she had arranged a meeting with me and another woman who wanted to meet Patsy, to I think, get some money from Access Graphics for a fundraiser. So, I kind of put the two of them together and really the two of them did a lot of talking, but that's the luncheon where I noticed that Patsy had this humungous diamond ring, and I looked and I said 'oh, my god Patsy, where did you get that?' And she said that she had got it in Texas, when they had stayed in Texas in the summer for a short time and she saw all these Texas women with their big rocks and she wanted one too. laughing...so, it's the biggest thing I have ever seen. . ."

"Mame: ..................can you tell me when this was, prior to JonBenét death, can you tell me not exactly, but was this a year....? ""JP: I think this was the summer, the late summer of 95."

I don't know how to post a link to a PDF file. If you go to google, and type in Diane Robellar, it's like the 5th hit, it's entitled "Rosecutor" and is a PDF files there's a description of the garrottes used in two murders by Shore - one using a small piece of dowel, one using a piece of bamboo.

Very chilling.

December 6, 2004

Greetings and warm regards from Texas Death Row.

My name is Anthony Allen Shore, my friends and family know me as Tony. I am 42 years old, born in Rapid City, South Dakota, June 25, 1962. I have traveled and lived all over the USA from cost to coast, eventually moving to Houston, Texas in January of 1981.

I am the newest resident of Texas Death Row, having only just arrived here on November 15, 2004.

My greatest passions are music and art, my first love being the piano which I have studied and played since age 5. I began studying and playing guitar and bass at the age 9, then trombone, flute, keyboards and drums since my teen years. I began teaching piano and tutored music theory in college and continued to teac on and off for the next 18 years.

I have enjoyed the luxury of playing, writing, and performing music all of my life, in numerous bands and been blessed with the unique priviledge of playing and performing with so many very talented people over the years, even a few celebrities.

I also spent a great deal of time, while in the " Free World ", creating art in various mediums, from sculping, painting, drawing to crafting unique hand-drums. Although my recources here on Death Row are extremly limited, I am still blessed to be able to create art, drawing.

I also write music, poetry and love to read ... everything from my Bible to fiction, philosophy to magazine....you name it.

I am hoping to meet someone interesting to begin a lasting sincere friendship with .. to share thoughts, ideas, hopes and dreams during this difficult time in life.

I would love to hear from you ... Please write to me so we can correspond and hopefully build a lasting warm friendship together. May your path always be clear with your dreams before you and the wind at your back ... Best wishes and kind regards from Texas.

One important clue is a photograph of a nylon cord tied to wooden dowel-rod or stick that was the weapon police believe Anthony Shore used to strangle Maria Del Carmen Estrada who was found behind a Dairy Queen in 1992.

More than two years later, police found a near-identical weapon that was used in the death of nine-year-old Diana Robellar.

According to a Houston Police search warrant, the “wooden stick was inserted into the loop and twisted tourniquet style.”

Thelmadawg, I would love to see the picture of the device, is there anyway you can go to the pdf, then go to your http line selectall, copy..and paste it in here, I can't seem to find it on google search

Many of you remember Lighthouse, who posted cryptically here for awhile. Camper, I know that you remember him. Anyway, we all thought that he was on a wild goose chase, but he did say that the *perp* was a former employee of a telephone company. Not trying to sideline here, just remembering that important item and how odd that this guy also worked for a phone company.

KatherineQ said:
Wow, Thelma. Good thinking - very, very interesting.

UK guy - Is this a common thing to occur, for a pedophile to break into someone's house and abuse the child in the home with classic sexual SM/Bondage items? It seems extremely rare to me.

KatherineQ,

mmm well I used a recent case on this forum to illustrate some points recently.

It depends on what you classify as SM/Bondage items, SM/Bondage is a loaded phrase.

There are many many instances of predators who break into homes, and variously tie-up/duct tape, sexually assault, asphyxiate, kidnap young girls etc.

But what is interesting in this case is how law enforcement termed his signature or use of a garrote.

Found this on googles cache:

The Tourniquet/Burning Desire
Case #1: The Tourniquet
By July of 1995 detectives in Houston have been hunting for more than three years for a predator who abducted, raped and strangled 21-year-old Maria Estrada, 9-year-old Diana Rebollar and 16-year-old Dana Sanchez, using a signature killing device - a tourniquet. This device has investigators convinced they're looking for one man, so a city-county task force is formed. Detectives pound the pavement for months on end, but to no avail. After six months of hard work the cases return to the cold files.

In 2002, Detectives Harry Fikaris and Roger Wedgeworth in Harris County have not forgotten about the tourniquet killer. Now working cold cases, the officers decide to send in the forensic evidence collected from Dana Sanchez to see if advances in technology can help them identify a potential serial killer. Turns out their evidence is too degraded, but they call on Houston PD to send their evidence in as well, and this time they get a hit. Anthony Allen Shore's DNA profile was entered into CODIS after he was convicted of molesting his own two daughters.

Officers from Houston PD pick up their suspect immediately and bring him in for questioning, but they're in for an unpleasant surprise when Shore's confession includes more details than they are prepared for.

Interesting not the garrote killer but the tourniquet killer

added: Just read he used the cord from a venetian blind to asphyxiate Maria Estrada.

Interesting new theory to mull. Thank you for bringing this forward, thelmadawg.

I wonder if Shore, in his position with the phone company, had a daily use for black duct tape?

When I first read this today, I thought, hmm...cowboy boots in Charlevois!

sandraladeda said:
Interesting new theory to mull. Thank you for bringing this forward, thelmadawg.

I wonder if Shore, in his position with the phone company, had a daily use for black duct tape?

sandraladeda,

Quite likely its used to insulate cables, or wrap them, but why would he want to telegraph to the world who he worked for e.g. SBTC ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back