FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
*BREAKING*

Shooter reported, people reported shot at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland

Police agencies are going to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland after reports of a gunman near campus.

The school is at 5901 Northwest Pine Island Rd. in Parkland.

Coral Springs police are advising on Twitter that people should avoid the neighborhood.

The agency also advised students and teachers in the locked down school to remain barricaded inside until officers reach them.

There are reports of shooting victims, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...ter-marjory-stoneman-high-20180214-story.html

THREAD #1

18th school shooting in 2018. We're only 32 school days in, so a shooting is occurring in 56% of American school days.

Thoughts and prayers aren't working.

Mass casualty situation and hospitals on alert to expect large number of victims

[FONT=&quot]LIVE COVERAGE continues: Sheriff's office tells FOX News that 20-50 people were injured in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL. [/FONT]http://bit.ly/2oas5Hd

NBC: Broward County Sheriff confirms suspect in custody.

[FONT=&quot]Florida School Shooter Identified as Nicolas de Jesus Cruz, a Former Student at The School - Miami Herald[/FONT]

ch 7 is now saying biggest shooting in Broward County kinda scary

parkland-florida-school-shooting-03-ap-jc-180214_4x3_992.jpg

From a student phone

DWBY6g6W4AEdrNc.jpg

abc page accidently closed window

"Runcie said the shooter may be a former student, and that he worked alone.

'Yes, it is potentially some former student,' Runcie said. 'That individual, we believe, is in custody at the moment.'

A student, who was not identified, but claims to know Cruz told WSVN he was obsessed with guns and showed him pictures of them on his phone.

'He's been a troubled kid and he's always had a certain amount of issues going on. He shot guns because he felt it gave him, I guess, an exhilarating feeling.'

He added that Cruz made him nervous.

'I stayed clear of him most of the time. My time in alternate school, I did not want to be with him at all because I didn't want to cause any conflict with him because of the impression he gave off.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5392559/Multiple-victims-Florida-school-shooting.html

So I'm reading that he wasn't allowed on campus with a backpack because he was violent, had made threats agains students and they knew he had guns. Questions:

1. Why weren't mental health services via the police involved?
2. Did he have parents? Were they involved in trying to help him or stop him from harming others?
3. Where did he get access to firearms? How and where? Given his age and past problems it seems it wouldn't be that easy for him.

In the hours after the shooting, people who knew Mr. Cruz described him as a “troubled kid” who enjoyed showing off his firearms and whose mother would resort to calling the police to have them come to their home to try to talk some sense into him.

Jim Gard, a math teacher at Douglas High School, said in an interview that Mr. Cruz was a student in his class during the first semester of the 2016-17 school year. In the class, he was quiet and not disruptive, Mr. Gard said.

After Mr. Cruz left Douglas High School, he took a job at a Dollar Tree store about a mile and a half from the school. A person who answered the phone at the store on Wednesday evening said that Mr. Cruz worked as a cashier and was well liked by his colleagues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/us/nikolas-cruz-florida-shooting.html

Jillian Davis, a 19-year-old former classmate of Cruz, told the Treasure Coast Palm Beach Postthat she had been in a junior ROTC class with Cruz and that he would joke about guns and had been bullied.

“He was off,” Giovonni Watford told BuzzFeed News. “He was super stressed-out all the time and talked about guns a lot and tried to hide his face.”

Watford also told BuzzFeed News that Cruz complained about bullying at school.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ssion-with-guns-was-kicked-out-of-school.html

So, it seems "everyone" knew he would do this - or something like this. IDGAF why he did it. I just want to know why NO ONE was paying attention to him or his SM or his threats. And WHY did he have access to a weapon that allowed him to murder 17 kids today? 17 kids. There are, at least, 17 families that sent their kids off to school today and, at least, 17 kids who will never come home.

I don't want to see any excuses. I want to see some ACTION. Some real dialog about what the hell is wrong with these malcontents and the pathetic lack of mental health care and gun control in this country.

We are failing. In so many ways. THINK about how you would be feeling, tonight, if you sent your own child off to school today and they were slaughtered like this. After you laid your child to rest, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Mental health stuff emerging

CNN

Recall call to dad " I think I may have done something wrong"

Developmental delay/disability -- think of a child in an incubator for 19 years

• A developmental delay is more than being “a little behind” in skills. It’s a substantial lag.
  • There are five main areas of development in which kids can have delays.
  • Kids can have developmental delays in one or more of these areas of development.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif] developmental delay is more than just being “slower to develop” or “a little behind.” It means your child is continually behind in skills other kids his age have.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]it is not shy it is not growing up mentally socially emotionally -- a stalled car

[/FONT]Developmental disabilities are issues that kids don’t outgrow or catch up from, though they can make progress. They aren’t the same as learning disabilities, but they can make learning more difficult. Some conditions that can cause developmental disabilities include Down syndrome, Angelman syndrome, autism, fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD) and brain injuries.[FONT=arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]https://www.understood.org/en/learning-attention-issues/treatments-approaches/early-intervention/what-you-need-to-know-about-developmental-delays

I did not watch what were some of the suggestions he outlined?

Scripted speech. Acting as Consoler in Chief for nation that is grieving. Says there were plenty of warning signs with the individual responsible. Focus needs to be on mental health. Addressed students and said that they and their parents need to feel that all children are safe in our schools. Will visit Parkland on Saturday (he'll be at Mar-A-Lago for the weekend). Will meet with Governors and state Attorneys General to discuss what can be done to make schools safe.

For those of you who are complaining I am "censoring" you I need you to understand something;

We will get NOWHERE with this discussion if we try and debate guns. We will not. This thread will meltdown and then it closes and we have no discussion.

I want you to answer yes or no to a hypothetical question.

Would there have been a school shooting had someone been able to step in, get this guy some help, perhaps intense in-patient therapy of some sort so that all the feelings of anger, hatred, and wanting to get even are eventually replaced with an understanding that he did not need to kill anyone? Yes or No?

Let me answer that for you. NO there would not have been a school shooting.

The real discussion is WHY. Not the method. Believe me, if guns were not available you would still have angry guys like this one. Remember Timothy McVeigh?

How hard would it be to drive a car onto a school sidewalk and kill a bunch of people? How hard would it be to make a bomb from directions found on the internet? How about stabbing and killing 7 children?

My point is you have to deal with the WHY are people picking up guns to kill innocent people?

The question is WHY. Not why guns?

Listen I am not talking about someone who picks up a gun in anger and kills someone or uses a gun for an armed robbery. For those type of situations yes, it would be wonderful if that person did not have a gun. I get that and I am all for logical gun control.

I'm am talking about what we are seeing with respect to this discussion. We are seeing the well thought out, well planned, execution of innocent people. This time it was with a gun.

I have been doing this a long time. I know what happens when we try and open up a topic where no one will change anyone's mind.

For those of you who think I am a gun advocate, you are wrong. Just the opposite. It is obscene we allow people to buy AK=47's. If someone told me that if I turned in my gun then others would and our gun problem would be under control I would do it in a heartbeat.

Why was this guy so angry? How could he have been stopped? Take the gun out of his hands and replace it with a bomb, a truck, a knife attack, poisoning food or water, whatever the way he chooses to deliver death is not what matters. What matters is the WHY????

If you took all the guns away this person would still be angry and would find another way to kill a big amount of innocent people. If you took away this person's anger and hatred and/or mental illness then no one would have been killed.

In closing, I want to say I know this seems like a simplistic way of looking at the situation. I do realize there are times when you give someone all the help they need and it still isn't enough. They are still a great danger to others. In those situations, the person either needs to be locked up or make damn sure they have NOTHING they can use to harm anyone including guns, knives, vehicles, poison, and the list goes on and on. It is almost an impossible situation to try and contain. I don't know the answer.

Thank you,
Tricia

No complaints here. It really ends up being an argument that goes in circles and escalates. It is hard to to discuss without referring to the elephant in the room but I think we see how it devolves. I'm not sure what we all think will be the end result of the debate. No one is going to change their mind who has a strong opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123