PA PA - Philadelphia, BlkFem 4-6, UP17492, child bones in rear yard, Nov'84

Romulus

Reaction score
NamUs UP 17492

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/17492

​

Unidentified Body/Remains (Black Female)

Found November 25, 1984 in Philadelphia
County, PA
Body Condition: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Probable year of death: to

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 4-6 (Pre Adolescent)
Approximate Height: cannot estimate
Approximate Weight: cannot estimate
Hair Color:
Black; Short curly black hair on scalp present
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks: nothing

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing: Nothing

Jewerly:
Nothing
Footwear: Nothing

Accessories: nothing

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later
DNA: Sample submitted is currently not available

Case History:
Skull, mandible, and 3 other bones that are consistent with a child are found in the rear yard and surround woods of a house.

What about this little girl:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11254/3/

http://charleyproject.org/case/tanisha-lorraine-watkins

She was only 2, but 36 inches tall is big for a two year old. I was a big, advanced toddler and people thought I was 5 years old at age 18-24 months, so I don’t think her age should rule her out. Also, she may have been aged 3 by the time she died if the UID is her.

I noticed that they have the same hair, assuming that the hairstyle in the reconstruction is not an artistic flourish?

If Tanisha was abducted by the man in the army hat, if he was involved in the army he might have travelled widely across America, hence the distance between Texas and Philadelphia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philadelphia County Jane Doe is featured in a new exhibition hosted by The University of South Florida’s Institute of Forensic Anthropology & Applied Science (IFAAS).
New USF Art Exhibit Aims to Help Solve Cold Case Homicides
Exhibition displays consist of clay busts and drawings, digital compositions, artifacts and information about the crime scenes. Kimmerle, USF graduate students and Sgt. Sergio Soto, a forensic artist with IFAAS, created the reconstructions and exhibit. Their work is part of the ongoing statewide cold case initiative by IFAAS, for which the team conducted a number of forensic methods - such as exhuming Jane and John Doe graves for skeletal analysis, facial and clothing reconstructions, chemical isotope testing of the bones, hair and teeth, as well as DNA testing.
Art of Forensics

Case 19: The Little Girl on Collum Street

usf18-025c-facial-with-logo.jpg

Facial Composite: Erin H. Kimmerle

While walking along the wooded area of their property on Collum Street, a local resident discovered the partial skeleton of a child within the brush. The remains were from a 4 to 6-year-old African American girl. She had short, curly black hair in braids. Unclothed and unknown, she was buried in a Jane Doe grave. In August 2018, authorities attempted to locate her remains for further analysis, including the Philadelphia Medical Examiner’s Office, District Attorney’s Office, Police Department, the Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the Lehigh Coroner’s Office along with IFAAS. Unfortunately, her remains could not be located within the former City Cemetery, reflecting the sad reality that many victims are forever lost.

Date of Discovery: November 25, 1984
USF18-025C NamUs: UP 17492

ME: 84-5583

Any information that may assist with this case please contact:
Seth Ditizio, Philadelphia County Medical Examiner’s Office
(ph.) 215-685-7445 / Seth.Ditizio@phila.gov

Philadelphia County Jane Doe is featured in a new exhibition hosted by The University of South Florida’s Institute of Forensic Anthropology & Applied Science (IFAAS).

Art of Forensics

While walking along the wooded area of their property on Collum Street, a local resident discovered the partial skeleton of a child within the brush. The remains were from a 4 to 6-year-old African American girl. She had short, curly black hair in braids. Unclothed and unknown, she was buried in a Jane Doe grave. In August 2018, authorities attempted to locate her remains for further analysis, including the Philadelphia Medical Examiner’s Office, District Attorney’s Office, Police Department, the Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the Lehigh Coroner’s Office along with IFAAS. Unfortunately, her remains could not be located within the former City Cemetery, reflecting the sad reality that many victims are forever lost.

I, sadly, don't have much hope of her being identified if they can't locate her remains.

1485UFPA

Date of Discovery:
November 25, 1984
Location of Discovery: Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Partial skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 4-6 years old
Race: Black
Sex: Female
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair: Black and curly; braided.
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: None.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: None.

Circumstances of Discovery
A resident at Collum Street in Philadelphia was walking near the brush along their yard and discovered the partial remains of a child.

Her remains were later buried in an unmarked grave. Attempts made in 2018 to locate the burial site were unsucessful.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Philadelphia County Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: Seth Ditizio or Jamie Willer
Agency Phone Number: 215-685-7445 (Ditizio) or 215-685-7458 (Willer)
Agency E-Mail: Seth.Ditizio(at)phila.gov
Agency Case Number: 84-5583

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 17492

Information Source(s)
NamUs
University of South Florida

1485UFPA_LARGE.jpg
1485UFPA1_LARGE.jpg

This little lady has zero exclusions listed in NamUs.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

1485UFPA

1485UFPA - Unidentified Female
1485UFPA.jpg
1485UFPA1.jpg
1485UFPA2.jpg

Reconstruction by Erin H. Kimmerle, previous clay rendering.

Location of Discovery: Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Partial skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 4-6 years old
Race: Black
Sex: Female
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair: Black and curly; braided.
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: None.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: None.

Circumstances of Discovery
A resident at Collum Street in Philadelphia was walking near the brush along their yard and discovered the partial remains of a child.

Her remains were later buried in an unmarked grave. Attempts made in 2018 to locate the burial site were unsucessful.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Philadelphia County Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: Seth Ditizio or Jamie Willer
Agency Phone Number: 215-685-7445 (Ditizio) or 215-685-7458 (Willer)
Agency E-Mail: Seth.Ditizio(at)phila.gov
Agency Case Number: 84-5583

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 17492

Information Source(s)
NamUs
University of South Florida

Admin Notes
Added: 4/27/19; Last Updated: 4/27/19

Tanisha Lorraine Watkins – The Charley Project

She was only 2, but 36 inches tall is big for a two year old. I was a big, advanced toddler and people thought I was 5 years old at age 18-24 months, so I don’t think her age should rule her out. Also, she may have been aged 3 by the time she died if the UID is her.

I noticed that they have the same hair, assuming that the hairstyle in the reconstruction is not an artistic flourish?

If Tanisha was abducted by the man in the army hat, if he was involved in the army he might have travelled widely across America, hence the distance between Texas and Philadelphia.

I think it's worth a submission. At a minimum she'll be ruled out.

Tanisha's Doe Network profile
866DFTX - Tanisha Lorraine Watkins

This is her WS thread but it's locked up. I'll notify mods to unlock or permission to start a new thread.

TX - Tanisha Lorraine Watkins (2) - Austin TX, 1984

Bare with me here, pls. I'm not very familiar with the St. Louis Jane Doe girl who was found beheaded in 1983. But two things come to mind with these cases.

MO - MO - St Louis, BlkFem Child 54UFMO, 8-11, in abandoned bldg, Feb'83

First, is there any chance this might be her remains (skull)? I think the ages and dates are too far off to even consider, but we've seen mistakes and misjudements happen before.

Also, what's your thinking on whether there's a roaming serial killer or predator of some sort who targeted young black girls then spread their remains as he/she traveled about the US? The St. Lours case was 1983 and these remains were located in 1984.

Bare with me here, pls. I'm not very familiar with the St. Louis Jane Doe girl who was found beheaded in 1983. But two things come to mind with these cases.

MO - MO - St Louis, BlkFem Child 54UFMO, 8-11, in abandoned bldg, Feb'83

First, is there any chance this might be her remains (skull)? I think the ages and dates are too far off to even consider, but we've seen mistakes and misjudements happen before.
RSBM

The Philly child still had her baby teeth.
16 Dec 1984, 14 - The Times and Democrat at Newspapers.com

Attachments

• Wister Woods F 1984.JPG
    Wister Woods F 1984.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 14

Tanisha Lorraine Watkins – The Charley Project

i agree that Tanisha is also worth calling in - the time frame is just too close to ignore. I believe they were also judging age based only on the skull, long bone, and ribs, and i dont know how they test the age but if they were just using the skull then a 2 y/o and a 4-5 y/o can have the same milk teeth.
I also think Tanisha has braids with the bobbles in her NamUs pic....

Original

Her artist rendering is so sweet, what a precious little girl...I imagine it can be very emotional to be a forensic artist, giving a face to the abandoned remains of a child :(

Skull, mandible, and three other bones... I know it’s a long shot, but my first thought was whether this could be the rest of UP#16611, an African-American girl aged 4 - 6 who was murdered and beheaded in Philadelphia in 1962. Her head and one of her ring fingers (which contain 3 bones) were never found.

https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/16611

Edit: I missed that the other bones included a clavicle and an arm bone. It’s very unlikely to be her based on that and the postmortem interval (there’s one newspaper article that says this Jane Doe was likely dead for only a year before she was found).

Last edited:
Skull, mandible, and three other bones... I know it’s a long shot, but my first thought was whether this could be the rest of UP#16611, an African-American girl aged 4 - 6 who was murdered and beheaded in Philadelphia in 1962. Her head and one of her ring fingers (which contain 3 bones) were never found.

https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/16611

Edit: I missed that the other bones included a clavicle and an arm bone. It’s very unlikely to be her based on that and the postmortem interval (there’s one newspaper article that says this Jane Doe was likely dead for only a year before she was found).

Some time ago, I thought the same thing, jumped the gun and emailed the Philly MedEx with the possibility. Then I found an article saying that they'd also found an arm bone and a couple of rib bones, so I knew it couldn't be the milk-carton girl's skull.

What a terrible disappointment that they weren't able to locate her in the Dunks Ferry Potter's Field.

Some time ago, I thought the same thing, jumped the gun and emailed the Philly MedEx with the possibility. Then I found an article saying that they'd also found an arm bone and a couple of rib bones, so I knew it couldn't be the milk-carton girl's skull.

What a terrible disappointment that they weren't able to locate her in the Dunks Ferry Potter's Field.

I was honestly hoping it was her because that would mean there’s only one dead child (still horribly tragic, but it’s better than two) and having the rest of her body would be a huge break in the case. Always makes me sad and a little angry when I read that UID remains are lost by authorities. I know that mistakes happen, but this is why it should be standard procedure to keep at least one bone for identification purposes.

Art of Forensics

There' a new exhibition going on, and Collum Street Girl is once again featured:

"2021 Art of Forensics Event

The University of South Florida’s Institute of Forensic Anthropology and Applied Sciences and the Tampa Bay Times will host a grand opening of the month-long exhibition “Art of Forensics: Solving the Nation’s Cold Cases.” The exhibit will feature clay busts and drawings, digital compositions, artifacts and portraits of people dedicated to solving cold cases. The event is free."

“The Art of Forensics” runs Oct. 3-Nov. 1.

They refuse to let cases go cold

CT6Z3PG3MVF2NCONIM6EU34F3E.jpg

COURTESY OF ERIN KIMMERLE

"She was estimated to be a 4-6 y/o Black female and had short, curly black hair in braids. Unclothed and unknown, she was buried in a Jane Doe grave. On November 25, 1984, while walking along the wooded area of their property on Collum Street, a local resident discovered the partial skeleton of a child within the brush."

Something about that clay recon is so, so eerie. I hope they're able to find her remains.

It says her dentals were taken, though? Will they ever be entered? I also wonder how they made the digital recon without her remains. Was it just based on the clay one, or were pictures taken of her skull before she was buried?

Attachments

• Wister's Woods dentals.JPG
    Wister's Woods dentals.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 10

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads