IL IL - Janice Moats, 29 to 30, Lewistown, 1 January 1980

Janice Moat was mentioned briefly in local article in 2006 during investigation of another missing person.

September 18, 2006

LEWISTOWN — Human remains have been identified as those of a Canton female who disappeared in 1983 when she was 17 years old, county officials said today.

“I would confirm that remains found in northwest Fulton County in 1989 have been identified as Kim McClaskey,” said Fulton County Sheriff Dan Daly.

Daly added he planned to hold a press conference at 3 p.m. today in room 301 of the Fulton County Courthouse in Lewistown.

McClaskey was eight months pregnant when she disappeared. She was last seen walking along Route 116 about one-half mile east of London Mills on July 14, 1983. The next day, July 15, 1983, persons camping along Spoon River a mile southwest of London Mills saw clothes and personal items floating in the river. The items were recovered by authorities and found to belong to McClaskey. Police combed the area and conducted an aerial search, but to no avail.

Later, a young male found some human remains in the county in 1989. Thinking the bones were from ancient Indians, the youth simply kept them. When the boy was 13, his discovery was disclosed. On Oct. 16, 1994, the boy brought the remains to the sheriff’s office. The bones then were examined by a Dickson Mounds Museum archeologist and crime technicians.

The remains were believed to be those of a Caucasian female in her late teens or early 20s. The bones may have been exposed to the elements for 10 years before the boy found them. The remains were sent to some scientists on the West Coast for further analysis, but for one reason or another no official findings were ever determined.

Then Daly sent the remains to Charles Ginther of California, whose test results conclusively showed the remains were not those of another missing person, Janice Margaret (Crewz) Moats of rural Marietta, but were inconclusive regarding McClaskey.

http://s13.zetaboards.com/PorchlightUSA/topic/1176204/1/

Interesting fact, Marietta, IL had only population of 112 in 2010, down from 150 in 2000, which is about 40 families. Someone might or should remember her?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marietta,_Illinois

As her date of missing is January 1st it is quite likely that exact day of her missing is not know unless specified otherwise.

Bump. Was looking into a jane doe found in New Lenox, IL off of Eastbound I-80 in 1981, and followed I-80 westward; closest match I could find was Janice. Unfortunately, remains were skeletal, so little information available. It appears there is little information on Janice as well. However, dates and height are about right. Isotope analysis shows Doe is likely from midwest, but may have lived abroad for a while--perhaps in university?

Jane Doe:
Missing Person
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Janice has been missing for about 43 years now.

Janice has been missing for about 44 years this year.

View attachment 391802
She married HLM in 1976. He was from Lewistown.
It looks as though these two ancestry pages have been pulled separately maybe. The information on the marriage is correct, but the information for Margaret J Crewz is the wrong person. I have attached the correct ancestry info

Attachments

• IMG_4060.jpeg
    IMG_4060.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4061.jpeg
    IMG_4061.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors