GUILTY *DEATH PENALTY* FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, abducted and killed, Jacksonville, June 2013 *GRAPHIC* #6

Harmony 2

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Timeline of Cherish's abduction reviewed

Surveillance video of Donald Smith leaving with Cherish

New Info in Donald Smith case

Remembering Cherish Perrywinkle

Donald Smith's criminal history

Police evidence photos day Cherish was killed

7th trial date set for Donald Smith

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - For the seventh time, a trial date has been set for Donald Smith in the 2013 kidnap, rape and murder of Cherish Perriwinkle.

The trial is scheduled for Feb. 5, 2018.

Death penalty still on the table for alleged murderer Donald Smith

Autopsy photos of Cherish Perrywinkle will be shown to jury

Record number of jurors called ahead of Donald Smith trial

donald-smith-479799.jpg

link

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

Please be mindful of the victim friendly rule which extends to the family members of the victim. The last thread deteriorated at the end. Steer away from that type of discussion.

he certainly has fought hard to delay his trial
he had a choice, cherish didn’t
i am, in principle, opposed to the DP but i have to admit that in certain cases it doesn’t seem that the DP would be enough
i wish RP finds peace eventually and i am glad cherish’s sisters are giving a chance to grow together within their own family
wherever you are cherish be in peace little one, many here keep you in their thoughts so, in a way, you are still alive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've spent the past week reading these threads. I knew when this occurred but I didn't follow much because I had just had my own daughter.

IMO I can see why the detectives were hesitant in the beginning to put out an AA especially with RP saying Cherish was to fly out the next day but she didn't want to send her to her dad's.
In the end DS is a master manipulator and I honestly think his target at first was to take out RP and take all the girls. But as time went on he adjusted his plan. He is a walking billboard for why the DP should be given in certain cases and an extreme warning to LE everywhere why SO should not be released when they can't rehabilitate.
I know not all SO are sexual predators & stalkers but he is and should have never been out. One thing I haven't seen is was his civil commitment ordered by a judge because he was deemed still a threat after his jail sentence?
It seems like a perfect storm of events occurred to allow this to happen to Cherish
And I won't say what I think of RP because I don't want a TO
RIP Cherish [emoji307][emoji307][emoji307]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Cherish Perrywinkle Update: Tensions run high as humanitarian wants convicted child killer’s death sentence overturned

"The Florida man who raped, beat, and killed 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle was sentenced to death by a Jacksonville jury last week, but the sentence resulted in clashing opinions and heated debates as the little girl’s mother, Rayne Perrywinkle, went head-to-head with a writer staunchly opposed to the death penalty.

Three days after 61-year-old Donald Smith was sentenced to die for the 2013 rape and murder of Cherish, Nori St. Paul, a published writer, cultural theorist and humanitarian, took to Facebook to express her views on Smith’s sentence. St. Paul, who’s against the death penalty regardless of the crimes committed, wrote that although she felt deeply for Cherish’s family, see thinks that Smith shouldn’t be sentenced to die.

“The jury recommended the death penalty. I am against executing a person for punishment-even this tragic and atrocious crime,” St. Paul wrote. “I grieve with her [Rayne Perrwinkle] and for her and her family. But humbly I don’t agree with execution. I’m against the death penalty.”...

St. Paul’s message hit a sore spot, not only with Perrywinkle, but with Kerri-Anne Buck, who was just 13 in 1992 when Smith tried to abduct her as she walked to a friend’s house in Jacksonville. ..

“How dare you exploit the pain and suffering of a mother who lost her child. I myself was exposed to this monster,” Bucks wrote to St. Paul. “I know first hand the fear that precious angel felt. You have no idea, and for you to say you are grieving also!!!...

Perrywinkle told CrimeOnline that felt St. Paul was exploiting her daughter’s tragedy to push her own agenda against the death penalty while trying to make money off of her dead child.

Apparently, St. Paul sent Perrywinkle a friend request on Facebook shortly after Smith killed and raped Cherish, under the pretenses that she felt bad for Perrywinkle and wanted to offer her support. Now, Perrywinkle said she felt St. Paul was trying to gather enough information as possible to help stop Smith from facing the death penalty...."

http://www.crimeonline.com/2018/02/...cted-child-killers-death-sentence-overturned/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cherish Perrywinkle Update: Tensions run high as humanitarian wants convicted child killer’s death sentence overturned

"The Florida man who raped, beat, and killed 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle was sentenced to death by a Jacksonville jury last week, but the sentence resulted in clashing opinions and heated debates as the little girl’s mother, Rayne Perrywinkle, went head-to-head with a writer staunchly opposed to the death penalty.

Three days after 61-year-old Donald Smith was sentenced to die for the 2013 rape and murder of Cherish, Nori St. Paul, a published writer, cultural theorist and humanitarian, took to Facebook to express her views on Smith’s sentence. St. Paul, who’s against the death penalty regardless of the crimes committed, wrote that although she felt deeply for Cherish’s family, see thinks that Smith shouldn’t be sentenced to die.

“The jury recommended the death penalty. I am against executing a person for punishment-even this tragic and atrocious crime,” St. Paul wrote. “I grieve with her [Rayne Perrwinkle] and for her and her family. But humbly I don’t agree with execution. I’m against the death penalty.”...

St. Paul’s message hit a sore spot, not only with Perrywinkle, but with Kerri-Anne Buck, who was just 13 in 1992 when Smith tried to abduct her as she walked to a friend’s house in Jacksonville. ..

“How dare you exploit the pain and suffering of a mother who lost her child. I myself was exposed to this monster,” Bucks wrote to St. Paul. “I know first hand the fear that precious angel felt. You have no idea, and for you to say you are grieving also!!!...

Perrywinkle told CrimeOnline that felt St. Paul was exploiting her daughter’s tragedy to push her own agenda against the death penalty while trying to make money off of her dead child.

Apparently, St. Paul sent Perrywinkle a friend request on Facebook shortly after Smith killed and raped Cherish, under the pretenses that she felt bad for Perrywinkle and wanted to offer her support. Now, Perrywinkle said she felt St. Paul was trying to gather enough information as possible to help stop Smith from facing the death penalty...."

http://www.crimeonline.com/2018/02/...cted-child-killers-death-sentence-overturned/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. Thanks for posting.

After watching RP testimony as well as listening to her 911 call. I needed to add my thoughts. First I feel she was medically sedated as I observed several times her almost "breaking through" it was heart wrenching to watch. The 911 call. That was panic inducing.
As for people having negative thoughts against RP, I tend to disagree. Having distant family that comes from that socioeconomic class, I truly understand RP discounting her intuition. Everyday is another struggle for them, whether food, clothes, transportation etc... I myself have never been there, but you can hear it in her testimony and call. That 911 call solidifies for me it was truly a horrible horrible mistake. The words she chose, how she kept acknowledging she shouldn't have done"whatever" and recounting the things she found strange about the days events. I truly will not sleep well tonight. Those 2 things I listened to tonight were very rough.

‘Death’ is not the end in Donald Smith case
The recommendation of the jury was unanimous and final: Donald Smith should die. But his sentence is technically still up in the air.

"...Prosecutor Mark Caliel declined to speculate on what the judge would do at the March 28 hearing.

“It will be Judge Cooper’s decision at that point in time as to what the appropriate sentence should be. It’s really inappropriate for us to forecast what the judge will do. We are confident that we believe that the jury’s verdict was appropriate and will be upheld by the court.”

State Attorney Melissa Nelson also declined to predict what the judge would do. But she said prosecutors will use the opportunity to let the judge to hear again from Rayne Perrywinkle, the mom of 8-year-old Cherish who was also a witness during the trial's guilt phase.

“She will be addressing the court for victim’s impact during the Spencer Hearing. She’s going to address the court, and you will hear her talk about how this has impacted her life.”...

If history is any guide, Chipperfield said, a judge reversing a jury’s death verdict is unlikely...

Following that hearing, the judge will take a few days or weeks to prepare her final order. The hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. on March 28. First Coast News will livestream the proceedings at firstcoastnews.com."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...not-the-end-in-donald-smith-case/77-523828655
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Death’ is not the end in Donald Smith case
The recommendation of the jury was unanimous and final: Donald Smith should die. But his sentence is technically still up in the air.

"...Prosecutor Mark Caliel declined to speculate on what the judge would do at the March 28 hearing.

“It will be Judge Cooper’s decision at that point in time as to what the appropriate sentence should be. It’s really inappropriate for us to forecast what the judge will do. We are confident that we believe that the jury’s verdict was appropriate and will be upheld by the court.”

State Attorney Melissa Nelson also declined to predict what the judge would do. But she said prosecutors will use the opportunity to let the judge to hear again from Rayne Perrywinkle, the mom of 8-year-old Cherish who was also a witness during the trial's guilt phase.

“She will be addressing the court for victim’s impact during the Spencer Hearing. She’s going to address the court, and you will hear her talk about how this has impacted her life.”...

If history is any guide, Chipperfield said, a judge reversing a jury’s death verdict is unlikely...

Following that hearing, the judge will take a few days or weeks to prepare her final order. The hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. on March 28. First Coast News will livestream the proceedings at firstcoastnews.com."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...not-the-end-in-donald-smith-case/77-523828655
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to post this link. Explains well about the Spencer Hearing.

I feel awful for Rayne, and I know this must be more devastation for her. I cannot even imagine how difficult it must be to lose her other girls too.

But if I am just thinking of the girls, then maybe this is the best thing for them, and for their future stability and happiness. That night in Walmart must have been a total, wretched nightmare for them.

I have compassion for Rayne and I know she made a horrible mistake, and had no malice in her heart. But it is just unreal that she allowed this stranger to go into the dressing room with her beautiful young girl, and to walk her across the store by herself. Let alone that she put her daughters into this strangers van and let him drive them around. I know that she was lured because of poverty, and she really wanted her girls to have some clothes for school. That is heartbreaking to think about. She will never get over it. :rose:

But her younger girls need to live their lives and move forward and I am not sure they could do that if they were placed back with their grieving Mother. She must have so much pain and grief and guilt, that she is in shock still.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back