VA VA - Diane Todd, 18, Annandale, 10 April 1973

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
I found an unidentified woman on ncmissingpersons.org that has the same bone structure as is shown in the only photo of Diane Lee Todd. The unidentified woman has no other data associated with her because only the skull was found. I’ll try to post the picture. The skull was found November 11, 1973 in Georgia. Anyone please have a look and see what you think.
Thanks!!

I found an unidentified woman on ncmissingpersons.org that has the same bone structure as is shown in the only photo of Diane Lee Todd. The unidentified woman has no other data associated with her because only the skull was found. I’ll try to post the picture. The skull was found November 11, 1973 in Georgia. Anyone please have a look and see what you think.
Thanks!!
Welcome to Websleuths, Dawnillsley :welcome:! Thread for Henry County Jane Doe: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?91290-GA-McDonough-WhtFemale-Skeletal-231UFGA-18-40-off-I-75-Nov-73&highlight=henry+county+jane+doe.

This Janedoe found in Georgia with only a reconstructed skull do you see the resemblance to Diane Lee Todd.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Now compare to Diane Lee Todd

Attachments

• 3E441ADF-99AA-4376-A385-66A8F29E82FA.jpg
    3E441ADF-99AA-4376-A385-66A8F29E82FA.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 7ED67A6F-778E-4EF6-B8D7-57216357D8F8.jpg
    7ED67A6F-778E-4EF6-B8D7-57216357D8F8.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 206
There is some resemblance between the two but one thing that gets me is that Diane had braces at the time she went missing and, though not conclusive, there is no mention of any being present on this UID's teeth.

Charley Project details of disappearance updated; 2 pictures added:

• diane_lee_todd_1.jpg
  • todd_diane2.jpg
  • todd_diane3.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Todd was last seen on Okla Drive in Annandale, Virginia on April 10, 1973. She left her residence on Oklahoma Drive with some friends. They were headed to school, but once Todd's friend's said once they reached the highway, she got out of their vehicle and got into another car. She has never been heard from again.

Todd's family stated she was never truant from school and was very interested in school activities, and planned to audition for her school play. She had only 35 cents with her when she left, and she left behind her toothbrush, two cherished cats and other personal belongings.

Prior to her disappearance, she had gotten an inheritance from an uncle and bought investment property with the money, and she had plans to list a house for sale. Her checking account has not been touched since she went missing, and her family doesn't believe she would have left of her own accord. Her case remains unsolved.

Diane Lee Todd – The Charley Project

Diane looks so young for her age. She would have been a senior in high school.
The photo of her in pigtails was her sophomore year in high school. She doesn't appear at all in the 1973 yearbook (photos would have been taken in the fall)

Okla Dr (upper middle class area) is just a little over 1 mile from her high school (WT Woodson HS). The locations of her school and home are between Fairfax and Annandale, VA

Google Maps

It sounds like Diane had a pre-arranged meeting with someone who she didn't want her parents to see. Most likely a young man. It sounds like she was either eloping or running away, but it's seems a bit odd that her friends didn't mention recognizing the car or the person she left with. Was the person a total stranger to them? How would a girl like Diane, leading a sheltered life in the days before cell phones and personal computers, manage to develop such a close relationship with a complete stranger?

There's no mention of her missing at Newspapers.com. Local LE must have assumed she was a runaway, not realizing she was in danger.

Some speculation: She had been involved in some very lucrative real estate transactions recently, assuming due to her inheritance from her uncle. Could that have created some jealousy from another family member - a cousin, another uncle or aunt, etc?

Alternatively, she could have made a new acquaintance at her bank or local real estate agency that handled her real estate transactions. Perhaps someone several years older than her who paid her a lot of flattering attention when he realized she had financial assets. Old enough (maybe mid 20's to 30's) that her parents would disapprove of her dating. Perhaps someone who was married?

She may have led a sheltered life and trusted someone whom she thought she was romantically involved. Since she never accessed her money, she may have met a tragic end.

Odd, though, not seeing any news articles or public appeals from her family to help find her. Obviously , someone close to her wants her to be found, considering her profile has been updated in recent years with new information.

JMO, ICBW.

Here there are some possible matches, however I don't really believe...
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Charley Project says she had braces on her teeth, and I could find nothing that fits that, but if Diane left on her own accord (something I highly doubt, taking into account she could have taken money from her checking account), she may have gone to a dentist to take them off later; I have the impression she was treated like a child (her photos, her hair, her clothes, apparently she didn't own a car, even having the money to buy it...), maybe Diane wanted to play the rebel and it worked for a while, but eventually that boy (I assume it was a boy, even a bad boy or a man) got rid of her or she had an accident.
May Diane have met someone because of her businesses? As Betty P has said, Diane may have met someone older than her, a man who could manipulate this rich girl... However, if her money was the goal, she didn't take it with her. Maybe that was "her last mistake".
There's other possibility I don't want to exclude: the happy ending. Diane may have met a man her family would never approve and they eloped. Perphaps they loved each other enough to leave behind the money, the cats...

July 29, 2019

Sept 22, 2019

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member