GUILTY MA - Christa Worthington, 45, murdered in her Truro home, 6 Jan 2002

Hammerized

Reaction score
I couldn't find the old thread- was it in the Unsolved forum? Hey, where'd Unsolved go?
----
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...near_worthington_murder_may_not_elicit_clues/
"Knife found near Worthington murder may not elicit clues
1/3/2004

TRURO, Mass. -- A knife found in the woods near the home of slain fashion writer Christa Worthington who was stabbed to death, may not elicit any clues, since it was used for several days by the man who found it, police said." ...

Yes, the original Christa Worthington thread was in the Unsolved & Mysterious section. It was apparently deleted by mistake but is supposed to be re-emerging now that we are on the updated server. We'll see.

I've saved the original thread discussion though and can re-post it here on your thread if you want.

Interesting story about the knife being found. I hadn't seen this yet today. Thanks for posting it.

YW! I saw an article last week about a knife being found, but was on my way out so I didn't get over here to post the link. It got my hopes up :) I hope all this guy did was "rinse" the knife- as he put it- maybe there's a chance it can be linked to Christa from blood in the seam around the handle that wasn't merely "rinsed" away. :::fingers crossed:::

Thanks for the info about the Unsolved forum returning, I'll surely re-post these to the thread once it does. I'm so glad you saved the original discussion. If Unsolved doesn't return, I think it would be good to re-start the thread with the older posts/info!

Another article:
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/localRegional.bg?articleid=976
"Last week, a source told the Herald the knife was found in the ``vicinity'' of Worthington's Depot Road home and was sent to the state crime lab for DNA and fingerprint testing.

The source said it ``will be treated as a potential piece of evidence in the case.'' It was unclear whether the results of the tests have been returned."

Hammerized, I'm not sure how soon there will be an Unsolved section. Let me know when or if you want the old thread re-posted onto yours here. There are two new articles from Cape Cod Times. Not about the knife but one is about the upcoming movies that will be made about this story and another about the anniversary of the murder, the fact that it's still unsolved, what clues they're looking at, etc. I hope the knife will help them understand at least some more info about the case too.

Reel life: Truro murder as movie
Film companies are showing interest in the two-year-old Christa Worthington case and Tony Jackett's story.

By CONOR BERRY
STAFF WRITER
PROVINCETOWN - As the two-year anniversary of the unsolved murder of Christa Worthington closes in, it should come as no surprise that the story of the Truro fashion writer's death may be bound for the big screen.

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/reellife30.htm

January 4, 2004

Truro murder remains unsolved
As the second anniversary of Christa Worthington's slaying nears, investigators continue to chase leads.

By KAREN JEFFREY
STAFF WRITER
The reward remains unclaimed, the book still generates controversy, but as the second anniversary of former fashion writer Christa Worthington's murder approaches, has there been any real progress in the case?

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/truromurder4.htm

This whole case makes me so frustrated, and seems like there are just a bunch of bumbling idiots surrounding it. Now, the supposed murder weapon turns up in the area of the murder. Was the property around her house not searched for clues? It's just like the Molly Bish case where important evidence shows up in plain sight years later. And then, Tony Jackett says the following:
"To tell you the truth, if all this stuff just went away, I wouldn't mind it," he said, adding that he hopes the filmmaker doesn't stray from the known facts of the case. "I could be made out to look like a real schmuck."
Maybe he should be a little more concerned with finding the killer of the mother of his child. He's already done a good job making himself look like a schmuck!

Hammerized, I'm thinking we can keep this here in the crimes in the news section since the new unsolved/mysterious section is called cold cases and I'm not sure this qualifies as a cold case yet.

I don't know, what do others who have posted on this topic think as far as whether this could go under that category? Let me know and I'll post the saved discussion in here or create a new topic there.

Up2theminute said:
Hammerized, I'm thinking we can keep this here in the crimes in the news section since the new unsolved/mysterious section is called cold cases and I'm not sure this qualifies as a cold case yet.
I agree, still info trickling in on it, anyway.

What does LE call a "cold case" anyway? Is there a predetermined length of time with no leads that makes it cold, or no manpower to expend while there are new cases cropping up? Both?

Christa Worthington - murdered 1/6/2002

08-16-2003 11:29 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Originally posted by Up2theminute
http://www.christaworthington.com/
- the family and friends page...just with a brief description of the murder and who to contact if anyone has any information, including the family's own private investigator.

(There are many articles of course which I'll add soon. Of course if anyone has any of them handy at anytime and wants to post them..go right ahead :cool: )

QuickQuote

08-17-2003 01:35 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Greater Boston: The Mystery of the Christa Worthington Murder
Originally broadcast June 24, 2003

There's more to this and a video clip: http://www.greaterboston.tv/features/gb_062403_truro.html

QuickQuote

08-25-2003 11:53 AM

boody
Contender

Originally posted by boody
I have been interested in this case for a while and now I am reading the book by Maria Flook. [Interesting, but she uses too many "quotes" when they are not really "necessary."] Does anyone know if they have ever identified the DNA from the semen in Christa?

QuickQuote

08-26-2003 01:45 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Hi boody (interesting name ),
I don't think they've made any definitive conclusion about the DNA. I have heard though that it didn't match any of her exes that were considered possible suspects.
I haven't seen the book firsthand. Can you tell some more about it?

QuickQuote

09-07-2003 02:12 PM

boody
Contender

I don't really think it will ever be solved. It seems clear that the cops/ DA thought she was a *advertiser censored*/homewrecker and either lost interest or let it cloud their judgment. Or maybe the killer just covered her/his tracks too well..... (interesting tidbit in the book, though, about how the cops took out all her Victoria's Secret undies from the drawers, lined them up on the bed and photographed them, as if they would say something about what type person she was)....

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 11:17 AM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Wow, God, are you serious, boody? That's awful. I mean I kind of figured that's how many people in the small town including LE saw her, especially with her baby being from a married man, but I didn't know about the underwear thing or how much it really clouded their judgement. I could definitely tell though that the one prosecutor didn't like her at all. I did kind of wonder though if maybe the prosecutor himself had an affair with her at one time because he seemed awfully hateful towards her, almost in a way like an ex lover might be.

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 11:58 AM

boody
Contender

Well, the prosecutor was recently divorced so he may have had some issues w/ women in general, but one quote from him was something like, "The more we look at her [Christa's] life, the uglier and uglier she gets."
After the book came out, I know he apologized to Christa's family, but I believe they are still not satisfied.

Also, Tony Jackett was/ is a prominent figure in town, very popular, and throughout his marriage, apparently, not shy about fraternizing w/ the ladies.

I'd like to know his wife's alibi.

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 03:24 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Yes, I remember that quote. I thought it was very odd for someone as a prosecutor to be making such a publically hostile comment like that. True, though, about his divorce. That could have been what gave him that edge.
I've wondered about the female significant others of the men (man?) she was having an affair with too.

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 04:13 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Hidden Traces
Cape Cod Murder Mystery
(Court TV 4-'page' story)
http://www.courttv.com/news/hiddentraces/capecod/page1.html

{interesting insight into the Jackett family in there}

QuickQuote

09-08-2003 04:14 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authorities release details of fashion writer's murder in Cape Cod

BOSTON (AP) — Authorities released new information Tuesday about the investigation into the murder of a fashion writer, including details that they have a DNA profile of a man who had sex with the woman within hours of her death.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2003/05...nwriter_ap.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuickQuote

09-15-2003 01:41 AM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

I have to add to this that I personally find it very significant that she was stabbed one time in the heart. That certainly sounds like a crime of passion to me. The sex and the murder may have nothing to do with each other or they might but the person who had sex with her may not be who killed her. So in the latter case whether or not the semen dna matched one of her former lovers does not necessarily rule them out as the killer. I also personally find it bizarre that her one ex-boyfriend would just happen to be returning a flashlight, of all relatively insignificant things, on the night she just happened to be killed.

On the other hand, I sincerely hope they really did run the dna against a national database as that one article says. Just because she may have been 'promiscuous' doesn't mean that she could not have been the victim of a rape that led to murder.

Also, in some of these articles they mention that LE noted "signs of a scuffle" outside her home. What exactly were these "signs of a scuffle"? A potted plant turned over? The doormat flipped off to the side? What? Do they do any sort of elaboration on the scenario of the crime in that book? Maybe I need to buy the book. :eek: Regardless, "signs of a scuffle" indicate to me that someone who came to her home that night was not welcome there.

QuickQuote

09-20-2003 04:54 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

boody (and anyone), I finally caved in and bought the book a few days ago. I've honestly barely gotten into it as of yet even though I've had more time to do so. But I hope that this will give us more to talk about on this topic.

QuickQuote

10-07-2003 11:51 AM

Litlstar04
Bronze

Originally posted by Litlstar04
Up2, have you had a chance to get further into the book? I want to know if it's worth reading for when I ever find the free time to read!

QuickQuote

10-08-2003 01:59 AM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Litl, No I honestly haven't gotten all the way into it enough to give a recommendation. I'll let you know further along. The author is a native of the town, Truro, where it happened and she talks a lot in a tone from an 'insider/native perspective.

QuickQuote

10-08-2003 11:57 AM

Litlstar04
Bronze

I saw an interview with the author about the book. If I remember correctly, Christa's family wasn't very happy with it?

QuickQuote

10-22-2003 02:05 AM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Yeah the family wasn't very happy with it I think because of the way Christa's life is portrayed as promiscuous and other things along those lines. It does seem a little soon for a book to be written that gets into the seemy sides of it all before anything is even solved. Have you gone and bought the book yet?

QuickQuote

10-22-2003 01:33 PM

Litlstar04
Bronze

Hey Up2,
I checked it out from the library and am reading it now. Or, I should say struggling through it right now. I'm reading it to find out about Christa and her murder, but the author is trying to do something bigger by telling about the history, the weather and the people of the area, relevant or not to this case. I understand what she's doing, but I just want to know the circumstances surrounding this case!
I can understand how Christa's family got upset. This author is trying to convey Christa's thoughts and feelings about situations in her life when she has no way of knowing this information. I'd expect any family would be upset, even without the promiscuity and sordid family history.
I'll let you know if it's even worth your time - so far it's not.

QuickQuote

11-28-2003 01:49 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

MrsMush. That's the same article I posted on September 8th. The Court TV news seems to often label stories as updates that have really been there awhile. :dontknow:

Anyway, here's an article from June 2003 that I don't think has been posted yet.

Tracking A Killer

June 27, 2003

(CBS) Early each morning, local fishing constable Tony Jackett patrols the waterways around tiny Truro, Mass., on the tip of Cape Cod.

Jackett, who comes from a long line of Portuguese fishermen, has been married nearly 30 years. At 52, he has five grown children and is already a grandfather.

He should be enjoying this time of his life. But lately that's been impossible. What happened here on Jan. 6, 2002, changed not only Jackett's life, but the town of Truro as well.

Correspondent Susan Spencer updates a mysterious murder case that was reported on Aug. 5. 2002.

CBS News - 48 Hours
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/09/48hours/main505717.shtml

QuickQuote

12-01-2003 03:48 PM

Litlstar04
Bronze

I finished the book, but still have no idea who killed Christa. I really don't think it's worth reading, but the author, in my opinion, insinuates that Tim Arnold killed Christa after seeing her with another man. I'm just curious why this man that she slept with never came forward if he didn't have anything to do with it. I don't know, but this is definitely one of the most mysterious cases I've ever come across.

QuickQuote

12-04-2003 08:14 PM

boody
Contender

I think the most likely suspect is Mrs. Tony Jackett. (Now everyone can pelt rotten tomatoes at me...) Think about it, you are mad at yr husband for screwing around, but you love him passionately. You are already thinking about having it out Christa when you go over there. What would make you even madder?
-- IF THE *advertiser censored* WAS EVEN CHEATING ON YOUR DARLING HUSBAND!!!!

QuickQuote

12-07-2003 08:36 PM

Up2theminute
Red White & Blonde

Thanks for giving the ending away, Litlstar! :evil:

Circumstantially, yes, Tim Arnold seems like the most likely suspect. He was the person who found her dead and his flashlight story could be interpreted as sketchy. Add that to the fact that they allegedly had a somewhat turbulent relationship and it's not looking good for him. Of course he could just be one circumstantially unlucky guy who just happened to be doing an innocent casual thing, such as returning the flashlight, and ending up appearing possibly connected to the crime just by unfortunately being the person to find her. If I remember correctly they hadn't been romantically connected for some time, so I have to question exactly how upset he'd really be if he happened to find her sleeping with someone else at that point. :dontknow:

I have thought about Mrs. Jackett (I can't think of her first name now) being the killer and that actually makes pretty good sense too (no tomatoes from me, boody ). I hadn't thought about it described exactly how you did but that could definitely be what put her over the edge. Certainly could still explain the one stab wound to the heart as being a crime of passion, wouldn't have necessarily have had to have been someone who was actually romantically involved themselves with Christa. And afterall she obviously still cares a great deal for her husband as they are still married, w/ her professing in some articles how people make mistakes, that wouldn't tear them apart, etc, etc.

Another motivation I have in my mind, for Mrs. Jackett as the perp, is to get custody of little Ava. I have read several articles where she and Tony seemed to be astounded (especially she was) that custody of Ava wasn't granted to them after Christa's murder. They almost seem more preoccupied with the fact that they didn't get custody of Ava than with the actual circumstances that led to Ava being motherless in the first place. And they did try to legally to get custody of Ava after the fact but weren't successful.

This also could have been a factor behind the anger (scuffle) and obvious personal hatred behind the crime (stab 1x in the heart).
Maybe Mrs. Jackett was not only disturbed at seeing Christa betray her beloved husband but she also may have seen her as a bad mother (for sleeping with men while Ava was there, etc) and imagined what a better mother she (Mrs. Jackett) would be.

It has always stood out to me to a certain extent that Ava was not harmed at all..not killed, not kidnapped, not otherwise harmed. That is actually one reason why I don't buy the theory that it was the druggie woman who was dating Christa's father. I think she would have kidnapped Ava and sold her into a baby black market for drug money or something. Or maybe have even killed or harmed her in a drug haze.

Whoever did this clearly avoided infringing any harm upon Ava. While it may just mean that the person's intent was to kill Christa only and they didn't care about Ava or couldn't bring themselves to be a babykiller. I think it's something worth wondering about and considering whether there is a reason.

The fact also still stands that Christa was having sex with a, still, publically unknown male whose dna apparently does not match any of the suspects. Very odd. The person could, in the end, not know anything. The crime may have occured awhile after the guy left. But it does make me wonder whether the person wasn't threatened or something to keep his mouth shut if he did see anything.

QuickQuote

12-09-2003 12:51 PM

Litlstar04
Bronze

I didn't give anything away! Actually, the book doesn't reveal anything, so it's impossible for me to give anything away. :D
I just go around and around about all of the suspects...
Tim Arnold - My first impression about him was that he didn't do it. I don't know why I have this impression, but it was my first gut reaction about him. After that, I don't know. I think that he still wanted to be with Christa and was still in love with her. Obviously this could be a reason why he killed her, but I think it's more of reason why he didn't. They hadn't been together romantically in quite some time, so I don't think he'd have reacted by killing her if he saw her with another man.
Mr. and Mrs. Jacket - (I can't remember her name right now either!) I hesitate to think it's either of them, although I tend to believe it's someone from this family, most likely. They had the most to gain in this situation and the most anger. Christa could have ruined their family, but it just so happened that Mrs. Jacket reacted in the exact opposite way than most of us would - she took both Christa and Ava into her family. Tony and the Mrs. did not know that Christa had recently named one of her friends, the family she is with now, to be Ava's guardian, should anything happen to her. I think it's reasonable to believe that the Jackets thought they would be the obvious guardian for Eva, since Tony is the father. Now, the kids were around, and even spent some time at Christa's place. I see them as more likely suspects because they had some problems of their own. They would also not harm Ava.
But, there is still that mystery man out there. Until we know who he is, we can never be sure about his relationship with Christa, so we may never know who killed her.
Something I've wondered... Do you think there is a possibility that Ava could remember what happened? In the book it talks a little about the counseling she is going through. Would a counselor ever try to get out of her what happened? I know she's young, but I have very brief memories from that age and earlier (I think she was three.) Since this event was so traumatic, do you think she might remember it, especially if someone is asking her questions about it?

QuickQuote

Hammerized said:
I agree, still info trickling in on it, anyway.

What does LE call a "cold case" anyway? Is there a predetermined length of time with no leads that makes it cold, or no manpower to expend while there are new cases cropping up? Both?

Hmm, I'm not sure what LE calls a cold case. I think it just depends on how much they have left to investigate because there are cases that have happened years ago that are still being worked on yet there are others that happen within say the last year and they get labeled cold if there seem to be dead ends. I know on the missing persons cold case network website they will include cases as recently as 6 months ago.

Ok, I've re-posted the old thread that we had before the website update.
Everything transferred pretty well. I had to fix a couple of links but that was about it. ;)

This sounds like it could be very interesting. I'm anxious to hear another side of the story other than that offered by Maria Flook. Maybe her family's side of the story will shed some light on events? At any rate, HBO documentaries usually get quite a bit of attention, so we'll see what happens.

Why couldn't they put this on a regular cable show? Like A&E or something like that.

kato, I'm sure that any cable channel could put together a documentary/movie about this case, but this filmmaker has done other projects with HBO. Plus, HBO has a specific department for this type of feature, so I'm sure they have more money than some channels do. Personally, I've been impressed with HBO's past projects, so I'm looking foward to this one!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back